The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tapping up in Cricket?!

2 posters

Go down

Tapping up in Cricket?! Empty Tapping up in Cricket?!

Post by JDizzle Mon 20 Jun 2011, 6:45 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/8585383/Warwickshire-want-to-sign-James-Taylor-from-Leicestershire.html

Just read this on the Daily Telegraph website and it creates some interesting points about not only James Taylor's future, but about Ashley Giles's role as Warwickshire coach and part time England selector and also how important is it to be playing Division 1 cricket to play for England?

We will start off with Ashley Giles and his dual roles. As it says in the article, complaints have already been made about him abusing his role before by Derbyshire and I have to agree it is probably the case. I cannot place much blame on the shoulders of the players to be honest, if you were told by a man who is an England selector that coming to play for his county would get you closer to the England squad you would to it in a heartbeat. I have never rated Ashley Giles as a coach or as a selector, although to be fair he has brough Woakes/Trott through to the England squad he just strikes me as a man who doesn't have a players best interests at heart. I think it is one or the other, and personally I hope he doesn't remain an England selector for too much longer.

Now on to James Taylor, his future and Division 1 cricket. There is no doubt he is one of the most impressive young players in England today. His statistics are superior to most other young batsmen around at this moment e.g. Bairstow, Stokes, Vince, with an average of nearly 49 in FC cricket and nearly 50 in List A. Not too mention he is a quality fielder. However, all these runs have been scored in Division 2 which is definitely not at the same standard at Division 1 and there are question marks about whether he will perform at the same level against better bowling. I would say that this is rubbish, as he has scored runs not only in ODI cricket where the teams are not in divisions based on performance and also he has scored runs for England Lions in the Windies and then against SL in a position where he was not familiar (opening the batting). If you look at the England side now, you have Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Morgan and Finn all contracted to clubs who play in Division 2, although they have proved themselves at International Level and it is a different situation to JT, it is obviously possible to play Division 2 cricket and play for England.

So, I would say that perhaps Jimmy does need to move to a bigger, first division club to further England ambition but it is not necessary. And I do not feel that Warwickshire is the place to go if he does decide to move. Hopefully he will get a ODI chance for England this summer, and prove himself at that level so he does not feel the need to move as loyalty to a club is always admirable in a player.

Welcome any thoughts on any issues raised here, whether it be Ashley Giles, James Taylor, cricket in general or how irritatingly long my post is... They are all welcome. Cheers guys. thumbsup

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Tapping up in Cricket?! Empty Re: Tapping up in Cricket?!

Post by hodge Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

imo its no different to what you see in football with clubs saying they would like to buy another player and in some respects like Chelsea buying out the Porto managers contract to bring him in

hodge

Back to top Go down