The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breakout players for 2011

+10
TheBrownTown
Thomond
twelve283
Forward Pass
wow_junky
dancingweeman
Virgil_Caine
Grizzly
arizona_tom
Pr4wn
14 posters

Go down

Breakout players for 2011 Empty Breakout players for 2011

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

Morning everyone! How's it going?

Thought I'd see which formerly quiet players everyone thinks will have a breakout season in 2011?

From the Bucs, I'm expecting a big season from Gerald McCoy. He finished up last season with three sacks and was coming on really strong after his biceps injury. He's worked out like a machine this offseason and has apparently been studying hard. If he can stay healthy, I expect to see some good stats.

Another Bucs players worth a mention is wide receiver Dezmon Briscoe. He showed some great flashes at the end of last season and he's looking to start at slot receiver for the Bucs. He's 6'2" and presents a good mismatch opportunity for us.

From other teams, I expect a monster season from Jamaal Charles. Apparently, he only had 17 more carries than Thomas Jones last year and look at the numbers he produced. He'll almost certainly get the Lion's share of the work this year and I think he's due a monster.

Sam Shields and Jordy Nelson have a good chance of excelling for the Packers this year.

I also think that Kroy Biermann of the Falcons could do very well. I feel he was unlucky to finish with such a low sack total last season.

What do you guys think?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Breakout players for 2011 Empty Re: Breakout players for 2011

Post by arizona_tom Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 am

Yer agree about mccoy and shields but not about charles i like him but i still see him as a 15 touch back, i think the chiefs will spread the touches still maybe give a few more touches to mcCluster plus his fixtures dont look great.

My breakout player for 2011 is Alex Smith i cant explain this selection but its just a gut feeling.

arizona_tom

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:47 am

I remember when a ton of people had that feeling last season...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:00 am

Tom is right, Jamaal isn't a 25 down man, his output drops off late in games and we were far more threatening on the ground when we alternated RB plays with Jones, trouble is I'm not sure what Jones has in the tank, he's 33 now and he dropped off dramatically towards the end of the reg season.
Not sure Castille or Battle will get us too many yards....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

I can smell a play for Tiki Barber coming... ;-)

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil_Caine Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:20 am

With the Bengals i think that Jerome Simpson, Jermaine Gresham and Rey Maualuga have good chances to breakout. Simpson had some big games at the end of the season and with Chad and T.O likely moving on he has a chance to start.

Gresham just has unique talent and i expect him to become one of the best TE's in the league.

Maualuga is moving inside to MLB his college position so hopefully he should be more settled.

For other teams i like the look of Jimmy Graham and Cliff Avril, Graham should replace Shockey and playing with Brees and in that team should be good. Avril could be the forgotten man on what looks to be a strong line in Detroit.

Virgil_Caine

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

Great shout with Jimmy Graham. I think he's going to be a machine next season.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:46 am

The best TE prospect I saw last year was the Pats guy, Hernandez I think is his name.
Big lump of a bloke used mainly on 3rd down looks like he could be a serious weapon for Brady to work with.

Tiki Barber ?
I'd rather have Mike Barber out of retirement - Tiki (assuming someone takes him) will get murdered out there....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by dancingweeman Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 am

I'm hopeful Matt Stafford will have a big year.

We've seen in glimpses what he can do, and with an improving Lions team and hopefully an injury free year I think he could put up some big numbers.

dancingweeman

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:22 pm

Graham has looked good for us (Saints) in the games he's played, great height and very safe hands. Hopefully he proves to be a tad more durable next season as he picked up a couple of knocks quite easily last year.

The same with Ivory, he looks to have a great combination of pace and power and the ability to break tackles which is something we've lacked, however still too many ???? around his durability.

If both can stay fit they will put up very respectable numbers, but not league leading due to split carries and the way the Saints passing offence works.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Will Ivory get that many touches? You'll almost certainly bring Bush back at a reduced salary, you have just re-signed Pierre Thomas and you have just drafted Mark Ingram.

I can't see Ivory breaking out under those circumstances, particularly as he offers nothing in the receiving game.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Will Ivory get that many touches? You'll almost certainly bring Bush back at a reduced salary, you have just re-signed Pierre Thomas and you have just drafted Mark Ingram.

I can't see Ivory breaking out under those circumstances, particularly as he offers nothing in the receiving game.

It won't be a breakout season I suppose, but next year will be harder than usual for any of them to put up massive numbers due to the amount of players on offence. Moore, Colston, Meachem, Henderson, Graham on the passing front and Ivory, Thomas and Ingram on the rushing side of things. Add in Bush as well (possibly) and it's going to be difficult for any of them to crack 1000 yards I think.

But anyway, if they split the carries between Ingram, Thomas and Ivory (I reckon Bush will be a goner) at around 150 each, if Ivory improves on his 5.2 YPC & 5 TDs then that is more than respectable IMO in a 3 RB offence. So not a breakout season as such, but a good breakout season for a Saints RB.

boxing

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 pm

I think that Bush stays and Thomas gets traded. I know you have just signed him to a new deal but I think the Patriots will go after him. Ingrams is basically the same back as Thomas, just a younger model. Ivory is good the the short yardage situations and Bush is a great threat receiving out of the backfield and on punt returns.

I say that Thomas is the expendable commodity here and that the Saints trade him.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:07 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I think that Bush stays and Thomas gets traded. I know you have just signed him to a new deal but I think the Patriots will go after him. Ingrams is basically the same back as Thomas, just a younger model. Ivory is good the the short yardage situations and Bush is a great threat receiving out of the backfield and on punt returns.

I say that Thomas is the expendable commodity here and that the Saints trade him.

I hope you're wrong!

Bush is a terrible receiver, he drops far too many simple catches to be considered even a medicore WR. His rushing production is completely gone due to his unwillingness to break tackles or run through guys (partly due to his injuries I guess, but who wants a RB who won't try to run??). Him being a good returner is a myth supported by his 4 career returns for TDs that make good highlight reel viewing, but overall he just isn't a good returner of the ball.

All in all, I hope Bush goes and we stick with Ingram, Ivory and Thomas at RB and Colston, Henderson, Moore, Graham and Meachem at WR/TE. I'd make us pretty much favourites, along with Green Bay, to win the whole lot if we run with that offence.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Forward Pass Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 pm

Partly agree with both of you
I think Bush will be resigned on reduced salary & Thomas or ivory will be traded
However I would release Bush for the reasons already stated

LG Blount
J Stewart [as long as deangelo is gone]
will both have huge years
Also fancy M.Forte to have a very good year
Forward Pass
Forward Pass

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Forte will do well to surpass his achievements of last year.
I'm not sure what value Bush offers, my take on the Saints is that they drafted well and have the nucleous of a very very good team, they proved last year they can win games without a running game or with a restricted running game, Reggie has had plenty of shots I'm just not convinced he's up to it.
I'd have Ingram, Ivory and Thomas ahead of Bush all day as junky says, Ivory put up some unreal numbers last year for a rookie, he has to be #1 back....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Grizzly wrote:Forte will do well to surpass his achievements of last year.
I'm not sure what value Bush offers, my take on the Saints is that they drafted well and have the nucleous of a very very good team, they proved last year they can win games without a running game or with a restricted running game, Reggie has had plenty of shots I'm just not convinced he's up to it.
I'd have Ingram, Ivory and Thomas ahead of Bush all day as junky says, Ivory put up some unreal numbers last year for a rookie, he has to be #1 back....

Aye, I'd rather have those 3 RBs putting up 800 yards each than Bush putting up 250 yards at most... especially when their combined salaries is probably less than Bush's!!!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Grizzly wrote:The best TE prospect I saw last year was the Pats guy, Hernandez I think is his name.
Big lump of a bloke used mainly on 3rd down looks like he could be a serious weapon for Brady to work with.

Gronkowski was the better all-round TE last season IMO:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh_jBLRiQrg
Some of his blocking throughout the season for a rookie TE was pretty impressive.

However, as you say, Hernandez is a more dynamic weapon with the football in his hands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M8ISx4HZUc

Pierre Thomas is a superior receiver and blocker to both Ingram and Bush.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:15 pm

I get what you guys are saying about Bush and I totally agree with you.

However, I still think that they keep him and trade away Thomas, though I wouldn't agree with that move.

Also, Ivory wouldn't make the best #1 RB as he isn't a receiving threat at all. Thomas/Ingram will be number one and Ivory will be used as a 3rd down/short yardage back.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Josh Freeman probably had his breakout year last season but hopefully he will get more recognition this year. Talib might breakout (it will be a breakout from prison though). Expect Stafford to finally show his potential. Julio Jones could show big for the Falcons. Maybe even Bowers if he overcomes his injuries.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

I doubt Bowers will produce in his first year. Defensive ends hardly ever produce as rookies.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:57 pm

How about Sam Bradford with the addition of Josh McDaniels? I must admit that I didn't really get many chances to watch Bradford last season but from what I did see I was impressed with what he did considering the talent he was working with on top of the fact he was a rookie QB.

Doug Farrar of Football Outsiders partially breaks down Bradford's rookie season: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/cover-3/2010/cover-3-education-sam-bradford

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:06 pm

If Michael Clayton and Danny Amendola can perform well, Bradford should be awesome next season.

The most important factor in Bradford's development will be Steven Jackson's health.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Ivory put up some serious numbers and he only started 4 games !
Let this guy loose for a full season and he could be every bit as destructive as Hillis, and lets be honest if the Saints develop a credible running game to go with their aerial game the NFC South could be in trouble....

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBrownTown Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm gonna stay with what I know and pick a Broncos player. Robert Ayers. Now that we're in the 4/3 scheme Ayers will be able to play in his preferred position of DE that he played in college. Ayers has shown potential in his first 2 seasons but injury and scheme fit let him down. He will have Dumervil on the other side commanding double teams and Von Miller getting some attention too, I think he may just emerge and live up to the potential he showed when we drafted him in the first round. I'm not saying 12+ sacks, he's not that kind of player, but I think he'll play very well if he can stay healthy, especially defending the run.

TheBrownTown

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

T. J. Ward and Joe Haden from Browns defence. Colt McCoy and one of the receivers from the Browns offense.

If the CBA's sorted soon and they can get training camp under way I can see big improvements, the west coast offense should play to McCoy's strengths they just need time to learn it.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by glasgowhibs Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm

LaGaroutte (sp) Blount will be an absolute machine next year, saw him last pre-season for the Titans against the Panthers and will gobsmacked when they released him.

Great pick-up for the Bucs and he showed how promising he is in the latter end of the season.

glasgowhibs

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Grizzly wrote:Ivory put up some serious numbers and he only started 4 games !
Let this guy loose for a full season and he could be every bit as destructive as Hillis, and lets be honest if the Saints develop a credible running game to go with their aerial game the NFC South could be in trouble....

Not just the NFC South, the whole league is in a world of trouble if the running game works out and we stay relatively injury free!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 pm

wow_junky wrote:

Not just the NFC South, the whole league is in a world of trouble if the running game works out and we stay relatively injury free!

You won't get past the Packers Wink

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Grizzly wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

The opening game of the season is a preview of the NFC championship game, Saints will win in a shoot out 8)

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 pm

wow_junky wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

The opening game of the season is a preview of the NFC championship game, Saints will win in a shoot out 8)

Then you might have to hope that you go 16-0 and get homefield advantage in the championship game.
Oh wait, Packers aren't too shabby on the road.......

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:01 pm

After last season's betting wins, I think we should move Grizzly to the Packers' section on our fans list!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Grizzly Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Pr4wn - always had a soft spot for the Pack mainly because of the uniqueness of their ownership I think, but last season I did take a view that they had everything to win the lot. Trouble is who's gonna pay for my new car and Vegas, Aussie and New York trips this year ?
I never gave alot of thought to how I'd feel if we'd not been humilated by the Ravens and actually made it to Dallas and faced them Packers.......

Grizzly

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:44 pm

From some Jets fans on twitter:
I feel Keller will have a huge season. Also the RB situation is competitive, I'd like to see McKnight have more carries.
Hard to say before we see the roster, but Sanchez will be stronger statistically and David Harris should get more attention too.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:03 pm

Derbyblue wrote:From some Jets fans on twitter:
I feel Keller will have a huge season. Also the RB situation is competitive, I'd like to see McKnight have more carries.
Hard to say before we see the roster, but Sanchez will be stronger statistically and David Harris should get more attention too.

I can see Shonn Greene really making progress this season. He has shown glimpses but he will get on the field more this year.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Mohammad Massaquoi is my bet
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down