The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travelling or holidaying in China

+2
Fists of Fury
Il Gialloblu
6 posters

Go down

Travelling or holidaying in China Empty Travelling or holidaying in China

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Good day all. After receiving a PM from another forum member asking for advice and recommendations about holidaying in China, I thought I would make an article sharing what I think. This way, anybody else interested in visiting China can also read it and, of course, anybody who has been here can also contribute their knowledge.

I suppose I can best talk about the places I have been to, the first being the nation’s capital.

Beijing

For me, Beijing shouldn’t be missed if you come to China. There are enough sights (palaces, temples, parks, markets) to keep you busy for days and it is very easy to cycle between them on the flat streets. The Olympic Park, featuring the Birdsnest and the Watercube, is also impressive. The food is good and the hutongs (alleyways) of the old town give an interesting insight into life away from the hustle and bustle of the modern city.

Spoiler:

Beijing is also the main place from which to visit perhaps China’s most famous landmark…

The Great Wall

There are obviously many parts of the Great Wall that you can visit. Personally, I hiked from Simatai to Jinshanling (or maybe the other way round, I forget). It’s approximately 6 miles, all up and down, from start to finish and will take you around 5 hours. Other parts, closer to Beijing and easier to hike, are said to be too busy to enjoy. There were plenty of tourists on the stretch that I hiked but they spread out once people start to walk at their own pace and it wasn’t too bad. Once you get to the end, you can take a zip line down to a restaurant.

Spoiler:

Qingdao

I went to Qingdao after Beijing. Qingdao is where China’s most famous beer, Tsing Tao, is produced (Tsing Tao and Qingdao are pronounced like ‘Ching Dao’). It has an average beach, some German architecture and a beer street, where the beer barrels are rolled straight from the brewery into the bars. In my view, if time is short, Qingdao is far from essential.

Spoiler:

Shanghai

I would say Shanghai is worth a couple of days of your time. It has a more modern feel to it than Beijing but there is a nice Old Town that has retained its charm. There is European architecture along The Bund, Shanghai’s waterfront. Across the water, the modern skyscrapers say as much about modern China as the Old Town does about the past.

Spoiler:

Hangzhou

About an hour’s train ride south of Shanghai, Hangzhou is famous for its lake. After Beijing, Qingdao and Shanghai, I just spent two days relaxing at the lake and zero time in the city. Again, if time is short, Hangzhou can be missed.

Spoiler:

Yangshuo

Yangshuo is a busy tourist town in the south, near to Guilin. I first came here for a week and, after spending time away from China, decided to return to look for work. I have since been here for almost 15 months. The scenery around Yangshuo is marvellous. The surrounding countryside is great for cycling, the karst peaks are good for rock climbing and the river is good for kayaking and swimming. There are plenty of western bars, western cafes and western people. In fact, it must be one of the most westernized places in the whole of mainland China. It may sound like it defeats the object of coming to China but after going through places with only Chinese spoken and only very Chinese food (not chicken chow mein or sweet and sour pork balls), a ‘hello mate’ and a burger was most welcome. I would put Yangshuo on my list of places to visit.

Spoiler:

Hong Kong

Yes, to Chinese people, it is part of China. Similar to Shanghai but with the obvious British influence. It is busy, noisy and expensive but the iconic skyline, history and general atmosphere make it well worth a visit in my view.

Spoiler:

That is that for the places that I have been to. I would however suggest you also look into…

Xi’an, an ancient city that is the home of the Terracotta Army.
Chengdu, if you want to see or hold a panda.
Yunnan, for mountainous scenery, minority villages and Tiger Leaping Gorge.
Xinjiang, if you want to get really remote and like deserts.
Hainan, if you like beaches (and Russian tourists).

There are countless sights to see all over China and I would advise looking on another website for these, or getting hold of a guide book.

General Information

The Best Time To Go

The best times to visit are spring and autumn, although I think autumn is the better of the two. Summer is too hot to travel around comfortably and winter can be too cold to do anything at all. Spring brings the rainy season, so I would aim for autumn. Be aware however that China’s ‘birthday’ is at the beginning of October and it will be almost impossible to travel internally due to the tickets selling out in minutes. If you’re in Beijing for this, a mistake I made, the centre of the city will be shut down for the parades. As a side note, China seems to have more festivals per year than anywhere else I have been to. These weekends are a nightmare to travel on and the tourist spots are unbelievably crowded, so check the calendar.

Cost

If you are on a short holiday from a job with a western salary, China will be very cheap. ATM's will accept your foreign bank card.

Language Barrier

Be aware that in many places, English will not be spoken. Understand that China is a big enough country to not have needed to import our language on a wholesale basis.

Trains

Trains in China are pretty good. Modern and comfortable. Your only issue might be buying a ticket if you don’t speak Chinese but you can always get a member of staff in your hostel to write down your destination in Chinese and show this to the ticket woman (it’s always a woman). If you have time, sleeper trains are fine. It all depends on whether you are ‘travelling’ or ‘on holiday’ really.

Internal Flights

If time is short or you simply don’t want to waste nights on trains, internal flights can be cheap if booked early enough. For example, if I had two weeks off work, factored in the time it takes to get to China and back, and wanted to go to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, I would seriously consider one or two internal flights.

Visa

You will need a visa before entering China. Unless you live around the corner from the embassy in London or Manchester, use an agency. I have used travcour.com and realrussia.com before. Just see which is the cheapest.

Politics

Don’t talk about local politics while you’re in China. If you want to get all Bono and walk around wearing a ‘Free Tibet’ t-shirt, don’t do it here. You might find that Tibet won’t be the only thing that doesn’t have its ‘freedom’.

Dangers

As in most countries in Asia, if somebody wants your wallet they will take it without you knowing. That is to say, you have a chance of being pickpocketed. However, there is a very minimal chance of somone showing you a weapon and demanding your cash. If you don't be an idiot, you will not suffer physical intimidation here. Be careful around the usual pickpocket hotspots; train and bus stations, busy trains and buses, markets etc. and you will be fine.

Don’t Be Scared

Some of what I have written may sound intimidating to somebody that has never been to this part of the world. Don’t let it put you off. Similarly, the western media does like to report China’s bad points. Remember that not all Americans are like George W. Bush and not all Russians are like Stalin. Once here, you will find the Chinese people to be absolutely wonderful. Ok, so they have no idea of the good old British queue and its etiquette, they sound like they’re arguing when they chat and they spit everywhere, but they will do anything for you.

Obviously, the best advice for you can only be given when you say what you really want. Cities, countryside or beaches? If you want beaches, there are far better options than China. Familiarity or culture shock? China has more of the latter but the former can easily be found if you get homesick.

How much time do you have? A month to tour around or ten days to fit stuff in?

If I think of anything else, I'll post it. If you have any questions, I'll either answer them or point you in the right direction for your answer if I can't. And if you have been here or indeed live here also, and I know at least one other poster who does, please add any advice you may have for others.

Cheers.

Last edited by Il Gialloblu on Wed 31 Oct 2012, 10:53 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : pictures in spoilers)
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Travelling or holidaying in China Empty Re: Travelling or holidaying in China

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

Absolutely brilliant guide, mate. Thanks very much for posting this, and hopefully it will inspire a few other forum members to post similar articles on places less well known to the Western world.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Mei wen ti (no problem) mate.

I rather enjoyed writing it. And like you say, hopefully others will be inspired to do likewise. I've been on the feedback board and requested a travel/holiday advice section for things like this.

I'm glad you found it useful.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:00 pm

On Fists request I've stickied this.
Absolutely brilliant write up.

Xie xie

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 23 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the kind words Hero.

While we're in this frame of mind, I must say a big congratulations to you for setting up a superb forum. Good on you mate.

Also, whilst I am sure you will see it in due time, I'd like to bring your attention to something I posted on the feedback section.

https://www.606v2.com/t7780-travel-holiday-advice-section

Maybe most people have no aspiration to visit China but I feel a section about travel or holidays in general could be a good addition to the board.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 23 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

I agree mate, there are some fascinating places out there that are well worth people writing up about. As a keen traveller it'd be a section I'd have interest in.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 23 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

Can I just point out that there is absolutely no sensible reason to go to Magaluf.

Great read boss, although I don't think I'll ever make China. Oz is the only place I'll fly long distance for. Maybe Bali one day to see the Bro and Niece. Lots of places still to do in Europe for a reluctant flier like myself. Want to spend a week or 2 skiing - well not actually skiing, just love the getting lashed up a mountain ida. They also don't frown when you crack open the spirits before midday.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 23 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

Bulgaria is worth a shout then in that case, Sean. We have an apartment in Bansko, good skiing, great little town with brilliant cheap food, and plenty of cheap beer. Can't go wrong. Need any more info give me a shout.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Bulgaria is worth a shout then in that case, Sean. We have an apartment in Bansko, good skiing, great little town with brilliant cheap food, and plenty of cheap beer. Can't go wrong. Need any more info give me a shout.

I'll have a butchers. Do they do fondu?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 26 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

Michaels, Sean wrote:Can I just point out that there is absolutely no sensible reason to go to Magaluf.

Great read boss, although I don't think I'll ever make China. Oz is the only place I'll fly long distance for. Maybe Bali one day to see the Bro and Niece. Lots of places still to do in Europe for a reluctant flier like myself. Want to spend a week or 2 skiing - well not actually skiing, just love the getting lashed up a mountain ida. They also don't frown when you crack open the spirits before midday.

Magaluf was just the first 'lads holiday' place that popped into my head mate.

I've never been to Bali but some say it is like Magaluf/Tenerife/Ibiza for Australians! Australia is a very good country to visit, there is a lot to see and do, but I preferred New Zealand. That place is unbelievable. I think if people are taking the time and effort to go all the way to Australia and have the time and money to go to NZ also, it'd almost be a crime to miss it.

Cheers for the kind words regarding the article.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 26 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

Having mentioned about visas in my article, I feel I should add a little more information.

The visa I mentioned was for the majority of the mainland. However, Tibet is different. You cannot go to Tibet on a normal China visa. Foreigners need to buy a special permit and even then you will be restricted to where you can go and may have to hire a guide too. The severity of the restrictions changes whenever the government feels the need to change it though. At the time of writing, Tibet is closed to foreigners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13798650

Hong Kong is the polar opposite. British passport holders can enter Hong Kong with no visa and stay for 6 months. Nationals of most other western countries get 3 months in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong is a 'different country' in terms of visas. This means that if, for example, you are flying in and out of Shanghai and want to visit Hong Kong in the meantime, you will need to either get a multi-entry China visa or get another China visa in Hong Kong.

Hope that makes sense.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:35 am

Thanks for clearing that up mate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

Nice one Il Gialloblu. Think I'm planned for the next couple of years but afterwards it's something I'd consider.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:27 am

It's something I've pretty much got organised, well, everything but getting the missus to agree to going!!!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

Fists of Fury wrote:It's something I've pretty much got organised, well, everything but getting the missus to agree to going!!!
Forget that part mate!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

If only...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

I would tell you to man up but may be the same soon…

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:48 am

It's a tough one as we are planning on moving house at the end of 2012, so that, coinciding with 18 days in China in October 2012 may prove troublesome financially.

At the moment we are in deadlock - I say we can afford it, she says we can't. Tempted to just go ahead and book it!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

Scottrf wrote:Nice one Il Gialloblu. Think I'm planned for the next couple of years but afterwards it's something I'd consider.

No problem Scott. I wrote this months ago!

It's a good place for a holiday. In fact, I haven't been to an Asian country that I don't like yet.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 11 Oct 2011, 11:51 am

Fists... cheers for setting this section up. I'll post some articles when I get chance and hopefully others will have plenty to share also.

About that thing you sent me... I had a bit of a busy (heavy) weekend but I'll have a look in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Sorry for the wait mate.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 11 Oct 2011, 12:40 pm

Not a problem mate.

Hopefully, I can persuade the other half to go and I'll be able to add my own review of China to this thread at the end of 2012.

As for my other travels, they've mainly been around Europe, barring a trip across to Australia in 2005, but I'll write some reviews on some of the European cities I've visited when I get a spare moment on a rainy weekend.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 30 Jan 2012, 9:28 pm

That's a good read. I read it when it was first up but thought I'd have a look now as my brother is leaving for 6-12 months to be an English teacher in China on Sunday.

He's flying to out on Sunday night our time and will arrive on Monday afternoon local time and will be met by the company and then assigned to a city and school.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 31 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

Ha, some competition for you Il_Gia!

I'd love to do that, alas I feel it is something that could only really be done if you were single.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:01 am

MockingJay... where is your brother teaching? Is he volunteering or earning?

Fists... you don't have to be single. Just convince your missus to do it too. Although if she won't commit to three weeks here... censored
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 03 Feb 2012, 10:11 pm

Il Gialloblu - he'll be in Yangshuo for two weeks of training before being sent out to the city/town where his school is. He's spending Monday night in Shanghai between connecting flights. Found a hotel for £19 a night for a double room.

He's earning, and his housing, utilities and internet are covered by the company.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 05 Feb 2012, 6:56 am

That's where I am mate, Yangshuo. Although I'm moving to Shanghai next weekend. Is he doing this with Buckland by any chance?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 05 Feb 2012, 8:38 am

I think that's the one. He's meeting up with a Liverpudlian in Shanghai and they're on the same flight to Yangshuo.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 05 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

Good stuff mate. I'm sure he'll love it. All the best to him.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 13 Feb 2012, 9:54 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:MockingJay... where is your brother teaching? Is he volunteering or earning?

Fists... you don't have to be single. Just convince your missus to do it too. Although if she won't commit to three weeks here... censored

Laugh you have a point, my friend.

So the move to Shanghai is all sorted, then? No problems finding some work out there? Good stuff!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 15 Feb 2012, 12:29 pm

PM for you Fists.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 22 Oct 2012, 12:44 pm

My brother, who has been a teacher in Jinan for 6 months with Aston and has been promoted to the next level but is still mainly just a teacher, has offered to put me up if I want to fly out and work. He says his school are looking for teachers now and he could help get a position for me in Jinan.

As tempting as it is being able to live in the same city and not be alone like he was is huge but I like my life at home. I don't think I could up and leave easily. I've got a steady job in local government and a strong circle of friends, plus all the rest of my family are in England too. My brother was already interested in Chinese culture for years before he ever considered going out there.

What was your situation like before leaving? Is it worth me just going for it and making the move?

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:36 am

MockingJay. Without knowing what A or B represent, can you tell me the answer to this: (27 x A) + (B x 3) = C. Headscratch

Yours is one hell of a question mate and there are so many variables that saying 'nah, you wouldn't like it' or 'yeah, go for it' is of course impossible for someone who has never met you, i.e. me.

From what you have written though, I hope I can give you some advice to help with your decision.

I suppose the first thing to consider would be how long might you be looking to stay? I think those recruitment companies hand out one year contracts. Of course some people want less than that and some people just want to leave everything behind and stay for years and years.

You mentioned your steady local government job in England. Is that something you'd be looking at as a career, working up the ladder there? Anything more than a year here could hinder that, could it not? Could you ask for a career break and spend 6-12 months here?

The contracts the companies/schools give out here are not worth the paper they're written on in a legal sense, they just set out guidelines between you and the employer, so don't worry about breaking one of them. You'll probably just lose some wages owed in your last month. Nothing more.

Also, and again I don't know what sort of timescale you'd be looking at, if it was just going to be something you did for less than a year for the experience then choose your time. Winter in Jinan will be cold cold cold. Better to be there in summer/autumn if you're not doing a year.

Speaking of Jinan... what goes on there? I googled it and it seems to be one of many cities here that are nothing special. Neither huge and dynamic like a Shanghai/Beijing nor peaceful and scenic like a Yangshuo/Lijiang.

More like a... Chinese Milton Keynes maybe? These recruitment companies do tend to send people to places they would have never otherwise have gone to, and not in a good way.

Have you been to Asia before? If not, no matter how many people you speak to, how much you read, how many pictures you look at, you won't know if you like it until you arrive. And it could easily make you feel twice as alive as you did back home or make you want to return twice as quickly as you came. Especially China. Be prepared for people doing things that we consider the height of rudeness and thinking nothing of it. Every time you leave the house.

How important is money to you? Of course everyone needs it, but teaching in Jinan through this recruitment company probably isn't going to allow you to save much every month. Or any month. And if you really need your Western comforts (food mainly), it will hammer your income.

I have no idea of your personality. A huge part of teaching is personality. Yeah, learn how to teach grammar, but students want to like their teacher and have fun.

Again, without knowing your personality but supposing you're looking to be having the kind of fun any self respecting 22 year old young man should be, you might very well love the locals. So long as you don't look like The Elephant Man or Iain Dowie. Especially being so young too - most teachers I know are the other side of 25 - and in a place like Jinan where perhaps foreigners are not so common. OK

On a more serious note, I would ask why you would leave your job/life friends back home.

Because your brother asked you? Did you ever consider it before that? When I left England, I had all of what you have. I just wanted something different. I'm not sure, purely because of the fact that you listed all of that in your post, that you do.

About the actual teaching here mate. I've realised since coming to Shanghai that teaching ESL here is the bottom of the ex-pat food chain. Lots of people do it when they arrive but just use it as a stepping stone. What qualifications have you got? If you meet the requirements of a Z visa, you can find better jobs than teaching.

Good non-teaching jobs for foreigners in Shanghai command salaries of at least £2500 a month. At least. If you can see/use teaching as a stepping stone and can see yourself in China long term, it could very well be a good place to be in the coming years.

One thing about that though; if you're planning on going back home, I don't think you should spend too long teaching here, with regards your future career. Anything up to a year looks good on your C.V. It's life experience. Three or more years though can actually be detrimental. It was dossing.

My situation was very different to yours by the way. I was travelling and found myself in this part of the world when the money was getting low. Not wishing to go back to England, I began teaching in China. That was it.

What is your gut feeling? I might have mis-interpreted your post but it did have three lines of reasons to stay there and then a should I dive in regardless? tacked on to the end.

Go back to that maths problem from earlier mate. I can give you 27 and 3 but I don't know what A or B represent any more than you do. I don't know you and you don't know China. Luckily, your brother knows both and can give you some massive clues which will help you find the value of C. Ask him for them. But then even from his clues, you'll have to decide on the actual answer yourself. thumbsup

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down