The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamaican National Trials

+2
Biggut
ryanbailey
6 posters

Go down

Jamaican National Trials Empty Jamaican National Trials

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 7:01 am

Last night;

In the mens 100m. Asafa Powell ran 40m and jogged the rest and finished in 9.99s to win his heat. +2.7m/s wind. The most impressive run of the night.

Our favourite; Steve Mullings didn't run sub 9 today, but ran 10.13s to win his heat.

Nesta Carter won his heat in 10.05s.

Yohan Blake ran past Michael Frater to clock 9.83s and 9.86s respectively. 3.6m/s wind.

Some other events happened too... Sorry not as good as Isabre... Mens 100m Semi finals tonight. 7.25pm jamaica time. And then the final at 9.25pm.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Jamaican National Trials Empty Re: Jamaican National Trials

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:29 am

Thats great news, boy are they big ones!

Last edited by Enforcer on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removing unnecessary content)

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

They are all wind assisted. Surely that means that they should be treated the same as Montell Douglas's national record.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

Hi Biggut, I'm not sure what you mean. I felt these were impressive runs for a first round run, wind aided or not.

How is Montell's national record treated??

Looking forward to the semi's and the final tonight. Will keep you posted.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

A lot of people, myself not included, say that her national record is not valid, because it was "obviously" above the 2m per second wind. There is a belief that her time was about 0.2 seconds quicker than it would have been in legal wind conditions.

As a result if people believe that Montells record is invalid then they should also consider these times to be worth 0.2 slower, which makes them good but not great.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

ryan

any wind reading over 2metre/sec is deemed illegal for record purposes

therfore the higher the wind reading the more 'impressive' they appear

junior track in the uk seldom has a wind gauge but you can always tell if it's assisted because several athletes run their pb's in the same race!

look in power of 10

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

lol.. Not arguing at all that the wind was illegal. Just stating that they're impressive times for round 1.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

A lot of these runners will go one to do better things on a regualr basis. No one hit wonders here!

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Ryan I am just satying that people need to sort out some consistant thoughts. Either Montell Douglas's time is impressive, even if they think the wind was over limit, or these times are not that great since they were definately in illegal winds. For example, Flash seems to want to be able to argue that the wind only matters when he wants it to.

And flash, that isn't a personal attack, I am arguing with your opinion not your person.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

Some people think they can calculate how much the wind 'really' affects peoples times. They generally wrong, you can estimate how much the wind affects people.

These times are still impressive for a first round run with any kind of wind reading.

I don't really want to talk about Montell Douglas on a thread about the Jamaican trials. No offence meant.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:08 pm

My comment is more about the wind.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:14 pm

How can 9.83s with a +3.7m/s wind not be impressive?

If any one of our UK sprinters did that we'd all be over the moon. Why are you not impressed?

We get excited if someone does 10.1s with a +2m/s wind.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

I am impresed, but I don't know why Flash is impressed when he says that Montell Dougls's 11.05 was windy and that without the wind she is no better than 11.3. Douglas was on +2, this is plus 3.7. So by the logic that he has applied to Motell's performance and to the performances of others such as Turner and Rutherford, the 9.83 is would be worth about 10.1, which for the strongest sprinting nation on earth would not be that amazing.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

It's a good first round run. Not amazing though.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

ryan

I see we are discussing the jamaican national trials - interesting.

I'm particularly looking forward to the mens 3000sc, hammer and pole-vault. Please don't forget to furnish us with those results as well

looking forward to that!

all the best

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

Hi english-osprey. I'm not sure what you are trying to ssay or imply. As we all know they're not very good at those events. Thus I'm not going to take much interest in those events.

I'm starting to not like the way you always seem to try and take a dig at my posts.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:28 pm

thanks for this ryan, just because I'm a lazy @rse and can't be bothered to work it out myself, what time does that make the finals in the UK? Powell, Blake, Mullings, Frater and Carter all competing for just three places, I can see Powell failing to cope with the pressure and coming up short!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

They are 6 hours behind us. So Semi's at 1.25am and Finals at 3.25am UK time. Staying up...? lol...

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

eugh, probably not! Dunno if it's streaming anywhere either, and there's NO WAY I'm staying up that late just to follow some live results service Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by etuoyo Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

english_osprey wrote:ryan

I see we are discussing the jamaican national trials - interesting.

I'm particularly looking forward to the mens 3000sc, hammer and pole-vault. Please don't forget to furnish us with those results as well

looking forward to that!

all the best

You talk so much nonsense it is incredible.

etuoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:39 pm

ryan
you've got me all wrong, I very much enjoy your posts
what events do interest you by the way?

yoyo
why is that nonsense?why bother watching if you don't like all the events?
I'm quite hurt by that personal attack, in fact i am debating wether or not to alert the mods. Really no need.

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:17 am

Wow, the wind must have had some effect in the Jamaican trials.

In the semi's the wind was at 0.6m/s.

Powell won in 9.9s, followed by Carter 9.98s and then Dexter Lee in 10.13s.

The other semi was by Mullings in 9.96s, Blake 9.97s, Frater in 9.98s.

Then the final came later that day and the wind had turned around -1.8m/s.

Powell 10.08s, Blake 10.09s, Mullings 10.10s, Carter, 10.12s, Frater 10.19s, Dexter Lee 10.31s.

Not that impressive, pretty average looking numbers. Not seen the races yet though.

Well done to Powell for qualifying as so many of us doubted him again... lol. I'm still very excited about their relay team, i just hope they get the baton around well.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:23 am

English_ , the events that mainly interest me are the sprints 60-400m + hurdles. I enjoy the 800m & 1500m when its entertaining, either through sheer performance or tactically.

3'000m, 5'000m & 10'000m i also enjoy but i struggle with attention span wise.

I like all field events. Most especially Long and Triple Jump.

I don't see much of the Hammer and Discus - through lack of media coverage, but they are amazing to watch up close.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Sat 25 Jun 2011, 7:26 am

My only interest in the distance events would be to see if the popularity of athletics in Jamaica, because of the sprints and the personalities involved, spills over to help all events to develope. From an international comeptitive point of view they aren't that interesting but it would be encouraging to see a few guys under 14min in the 5k.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by etuoyo Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:49 am

I don't think popularity in the sprints can ever spill over to middle and long distance events. Sprints are popular because they are good in the sprints. They are good in the sprints because they have a genetic advantage in sprints. It is not just a Jamaican thing. There has never as far as I am aware been a world class long distance athlete from West Africa or the West Indies. Humans will always focus where their strength lies.

On the 100m results good to see Asafa rise to the occassion. Have to feel sorry for Carter. Would have easily qualified if he was from anywhere else in the world. Joint fastest in the world last year and not even able to make the world champs with 4 qualifiers. All he can look forward to is a run in the relay heats. I think after last year we were all expecting that Bolt, Asafa, Carter and Blake would be the qualifiers but Mullins came out of nowhere this season and threw a spanner into the works.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the relay if they get the baton round. As strong as team is I am not so convinced they would be able to beat that amazing world record. Reason being that though Mullins and Blake are much faster than Carter and Frater were back then Bolt and particularly Asafa are some way behind how fast they were then.

etuoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by etuoyo Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

I don't think popularity in the sprints can ever spill over to middle and long distance events. Sprints are popular because they are good in the sprints. They are good in the sprints because they have a genetic advantage in sprints. It is not just a Jamaican thing. There has never as far as I am aware been a world class long distance athlete from West Africa or the West Indies. Humans will always focus where their strength lies.

On the 100m results good to see Asafa rise to the occassion. Have to feel sorry for Carter. Would have easily qualified if he was from anywhere else in the world. Joint fastest in the world last year and not even able to make the world champs with 4 qualifiers. All he can look forward to is a run in the relay heats. I think after last year we were all expecting that Bolt, Asafa, Carter and Blake would be the qualifiers but Mullins came out of nowhere this season and threw a spanner into the works.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the relay if they get the baton round. As strong as team is I am not so convinced they would be able to beat that amazing world record. Reason being that though Mullins and Blake are much faster than Carter and Frater were back then Bolt and particularly Asafa are some way behind how fast they were then.

etuoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:03 am

He should have gone for British citizenship. oh lol... we could do with him being here.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggut Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:28 am

I would have hoped that some development would happen in other events purely because to win CHAMPS scoring well in other disciplines would be an advantage, so it would pay to develope in them.

Biggut

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sun 26 Jun 2011, 7:15 am

Okley Coke won the 3000m Steeplechase in 10.57.37 followed closely by 2nd place Ivin Johnson in 11.45.45.

Womens steeplechase was won by Korene Hinds in 9.41.67 followed by Mardrea Hyman in 9.46.15.

- I conclude that women can run faster than men.

The womens hammer was won by Natlie Grant with a throw of 60.33m.

Nothing happened in the mens hammer, that i know of.

Anyway on a more serious note:

Shelly Ann Fraser Pryce pulled out of the competitions, meaning that she can only defend her 100m title in Daegu.

VCB won the 200m in 22.79s.

Steve Mullings won the 200m in an average 20.25s. Nickel Ashmeade won the other heat in an even more average 20.41s.

The 200m really has caught alight yet this year, except for the Bolt and Ashmeade. Where as we've had many many electric times in the 100m already.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down