The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roddick should retire

+21
superochog
Ally Mills
pauline1981
gallery play
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
Davie
sportslover
lydian
laverfan
legendkillar
Simple_Analyst
djlovesyou
Beer
davidl1061
Haddie-nuff
dummy_half
yummymummy
HM Murdock
Tenez
Josiah Maiestas
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Roddick should retire - Page 2 Empty Roddick should retire

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

After the USO.

No longer good enough to even make 4R in his most favoured slam.

It's sad but his game has totally "decayed" shall we say.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Roddick should retire - Page 2 Empty Re: Roddick should retire

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Davie wrote:Totally correct. My comment was as Davie the member, not Davie the admin.

However, as Davie the admin I would say the following.

You are totally within your rights to reply to any post you like. The member's comment was to point out how you are sick of Tenez and that you want no more to do with him. That also is your right. However to continue harassing him the way you do is worthy of comment after you have said you won't do it any more

Tenez is frequently critical of certain players. It may well be that thoses players happen to be your favourites. That is where debate comes in. You are entitled to debate the point or you are entitled to ignore the poster. You are even entitled to have your own little stab at other players who aren't your favourites. The tennis players aren't members here; they are public figures and as long as it doesn't get libelous, they are fair game. What is NOT fair game is to continually harass other members, whether you agree with them or not

Fine then I suggest to you as a moderator that you keep your eyes peeled... you seemingly miss some of the more pointed remarks he makes to goad me and other posters Davie. even to the point of making personal reference to me and where I live..... just dont make your judgements too one sided will you., If you have anything more to say to me as a Moderator then I now publicly respectfully request that you do so in a PM

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

To be fair Davie, I know many people from 606 (and probably other forums) had a 'gutload' of Tenez over the years. Haddie is an otherwise very balanced poster, I've seen her posts for years now, but Tenez's constant - and I mean constant - denigration of Nadal on 606 wound her and many others up. Tenez is very subtle in his nitpicking about certain players but when you know his posting style you see that so many of his posts are designed to keep knocking down that one certain player and their style of play down all the time. This results in many posters being just sick and tired of seeing it over a period of time and yes they should ignore it but its hard to turn the other cheek all the time. This is all I'm saying about it.

Last edited by lydian on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

Roddick should retire - Page 2 769663 Lydian

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

We had similar issues on the athletics forum.

Although different in the fact that although relentless, Tenez's opinion doesn't actually break house rules and is quite often backed up with facts.

But I would suggest that if we are to learn from the athletics experience is that once the admins get an idea about who is at fault, whether they're right or wrong, they won't change their minds. So don't push it too hard.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Lydian - I constantly expose you ignorence or if it's not ignorence, biased information aimed at dimishing Federer's achievement. It's not actually very subtle in your case, it's just very obvious as pointed by many 606 posters then.

Everything your write is to disprove his performance by providing invented facts. I honestly personally don't mind it but I just feel I have to expose your false assumptions with real facts.

No wonder you have a gutload of me. You wish you could appear as a knowledgeable tennis fan to the smiley brigade ...but obviously you cannot anymore.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

Tenez is very subtle in his nitpicking about certain players but when you know his posting style you see that so many of his posts are designed to keep knocking down that one certain player and their style of play down all the time.

That's quite funny. I did not realise my knocking down certain players was very subtle! Laugh

Would it be because I always talk about tennis games and styles and not about players personalities..unlike some here?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:36 pm

Lol Tenez talking about exposing someone, funny. If we want to list the number of times I exposed you, it will take all night. Like I told you, when you spend so much time deluding yourself, you start believing in the delusions.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

ah of course, regarding DHBH, I was forgetting one of the better ones around, David Nalbandian, you know that talentless physical phenomenon Whistle

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:07 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:ah of course, regarding DHBH, I was forgetting one of the better ones around, David Nalbandian, you know that talentless physical phenomenon Whistle

Did I say that DHBHers had less talent?

Davydenko and Nalbandian are some of my favourite players , like Rios.

Try to be logic if you want to engage in a discussion.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:02 am

Roddick is not particularly good and his lone slam came in a transitional era in tennis. If anything he is another example along with hewitt of how the game is stronger today than it was six or seven years ago. Additionally, as other have pointed Roddick has a great serve, a good but not great forehand, and when he started to improve other areas of his game like his backhand and volleys it was just too late for him. Plus he is a terrible returner of serve and has never really worked out how he can get into an opponents serve consistently. It seems that nowadays the return of serve may have surpassed the serve as the most important shot or weapon in tennis. If you look at the top 4 players in the world all are very good to great returners. Only Federer is a great server. And the other big servers like Karlovic, Isner, Querrey, Anderson just haven't made any impact on the tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 25 Jun 2011, 10:39 am

Tenez, your post is not worthy of reply.
Enjoy watching the tennis.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Sat 25 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

Simple_Analyst wrote:..If we want to list the number of times I exposed you, it will take all night..

there's only one appropriate reply to this quote: LOL

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Sat 25 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

good player

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jun 2011, 5:44 pm

dummy_half wrote:JM

Roddick's backhand has been a liability through most of his career. It is only the odd times when it became effective that he really challenged (which often seems to coincide with working with a new coach).

As a young guy, he had a crushing forehand as well as a hammer of a serve, but in recent years he's tended to play with a bit more margin of safety on that side as well, using a heavy topspin that takes the pace out of the ball.

Tenez is largely right in his first post - there have been more gifted players than Roddick, but he's the one with the slam title, multiple finals and more money than you can shake a stick at. He's made the most of what he had (which was mostly that unique serve).

Haven't read the entire thread, but this is spot on.

Roddick's main weapons have been blunted (serve) and decayed (forehand). 10 years ago Roddick had one of the biggest FH's on tour. Now he just doesn't hit through it. His BH has always been, at best, a rallying shot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mills Sun 26 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

I don't think he should retire but, like Hewitt, he should realise that he'll never be good enough to challenge the very top players. He may beat the rare top 5 or top ten player but he,ll never make another Slam final.

Ally Mills

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

lydian wrote:Tenez, your post is not worthy of reply.

thumbsup I never NEVER reply to Tenez's post because he/she is a kind of poster who wants to have the last say in everything debated and very critical of one player. I try not to post on any thread where Tenez is active because I know where it is heading to. Good luck to others Hug

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

What a sensible person.. Im following Lydian´s lead I wish everyone else would he would land up talking to himself.. the only person he is interested in.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

superochog wrote:
lydian wrote:Tenez, your post is not worthy of reply.

thumbsup I never NEVER reply to Tenez's post because he/she is a kind of poster who wants to have the last say in everything debated and very critical of one player. I try not to post on any thread where Tenez is active because I know where it is heading to. Good luck to others Hug

It's ok. I never expected to be liked by Rafa fanatics.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 26 Jun 2011, 9:34 am

Roddick should retire - Page 2 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 26 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

I think the shoulder injury he had, has stopped him playing enough matches to be fully "match fit" or "match tight".

When I watched him earlier in the year in the HC season at times, I thought he was playing great. That Memphis tournament he won with that fantastic final against Raonic springs to mind.

Fair enough he won't be threat to break into the top 4 or win another slam but I think he's good enough to hang around in the top 20 and threaten anyone outside the top 4, if they're slightly off their game.

So as long as he's enjoying it, I say keep playing, cause you're gonna be a long time retired.

If you don't belive me, just ask Thomas Muster aged 43 and currently world ranked 1006 !
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Mu/T/Thomas-Muster.aspx
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

"As a young guy, he had a crushing forehand as well as a hammer of a serve, but in recent years he's tended to play with a bit more margin of safety on that side as well, using a heavy topspin that takes the pace out of the ball."

No coincidence then that this has happened to Roddick's serve now that a certain Larry Stefanki is his coach. It was also Stefanki who was the one who was responsible for madly convincing and getting Tim Henman to reduce his service power and instead aim for more accuracy on his serve with greater spin given to the ball to help him get more cheap points. Such a strategy cost Henman any chance of beating an in-form Lleyton Hewitt at Wimbledon in 2002.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

GBoycs

I was really referring to Roddick's forehand rather than the serve, which has been seriously reduced by him imposing more spin and more margin of safety on the shot. He still just gives the serve a good old bash, which is enough to overwhelm some opponents but is rarely sufficient against the best returners (i.e. the top 4 plus Ferrer), but has never developed the serve placement skills comparable with those of slower but more effective servers (Federer for example) - probably a good thing for the rest of the tour, because if Roddick could paint the lines with a 150mph serve, he'd be borderline unplayable.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

He gets to go home to a hot wife, so not all bad. OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 27 Jun 2011, 12:41 pm

west

True enough, and it's not as though they will ever need any more money to continue living a very comfortable lifestyle for the rest of their lives.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

"I was really referring to Roddick's forehand rather than the serve, which has been seriously reduced by him imposing more spin and more margin of safety on the shot. He still just gives the serve a good old bash, which is enough to overwhelm some opponents"

No doubt that Larry Stefanki is responsible also for getting Roddick to hit his forehand with more spin rather than try and get more power. Also I do believe that Roddick has actually slowed his serve down a bit to try and get more accuracy on his first serve. Apparently Lindsay Davenport stated that Roddick at the start of Wimbledon decided to try using either a more lengthened backswing on his forehand stroke with a longer grip on his racket in order to try and generate a bit more power. What I think he needs to do to try and have a chance now of matching and beating these younger and more talented baseline type players is to try and develop a better all-court game whereby he improves his volleys and develops a backhand dropshot slice like what Federer has done. But unfortunately I just don't think Roddick is capable of building these aspects into his game as his type of game was and always will be all about all-out power and no finesse.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:32 pm

"But unfortunately I just don't think Roddick is capable of building these aspects into his game as his type of game was and always will be all about all-out power and no finesse. "

I think that sums up Roddick. In fact I think it sums up several of the players in the top 20 below the top 4 - they can hit their opponent off the court when it is all going their way, but have little means of changing the play if either their accuracy is off or when their opponent is able to nullify the power (perhaps something that needs further discussion on the ' Top 4 v Others' thread?)

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:48 pm

dummy_half wrote:"But unfortunately I just don't think Roddick is capable of building these aspects into his game as his type of game was and always will be all about all-out power and no finesse. "

I think that sums up Roddick. In fact I think it sums up several of the players in the top 20 below the top 4 - they can hit their opponent off the court when it is all going their way, but have little means of changing the play if either their accuracy is off or when their opponent is able to nullify the power (perhaps something that needs further discussion on the ' Top 4 v Others' thread?)

Although skill cannot be attained easily once a player is past say 25/25 years old, Roddick could try to improve his overall physical conditioning, as well as his speed and strength attributes such that he can then adopt a gameplan which involves abandoning any attempts at net rushes for put away volleys, and look to play just from the back of the court and just go for broke trying to hit clean winners by blasting the ball as hard as he can past opponents just like he used to do in his early pro career.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Mon 27 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

I sort of stopped following tennis for about 4 years between 2004 and 2008. I remember watching the 2004 wimbledon final, i liked Roddick, huge serve, agressive with his forehand. I start watching him at Queens four years later and he hit no winners except off of weak service returns or the odd volley. He lets his forehand drop ridiculously low, what is Stefanki coaching him? to roll the ball half way up the court and defend when he is clearly not a good mover or defender. Stefanki should go immediately and maybe see if Agassi is available otherwise Roddick's career is pretty much done. That backhand is just yuck.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 27 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm

monty junior wrote:I sort of stopped following tennis for about 4 years between 2004 and 2008. I remember watching the 2004 wimbledon final, i liked Roddick, huge serve, agressive with his forehand. I start watching him at Queens four years later and he hit no winners except off of weak service returns or the odd volley. He lets his forehand drop ridiculously low, what is Stefanki coaching him? to roll the ball half way up the court and defend when he is clearly not a good mover or defender. Stefanki should go immediately and maybe see if Agassi is available otherwise Roddick's career is pretty much done. That backhand is just yuck.

Larry Stefanki the same coach who was responsible for ruining Tim Henman's chance of winning Wimbledon by getting him to change his service stance and take a shorter backswing at his serve in order to gain more accuracy at the expense of losing some power or oomph into the shot. Looks like Stefanki is at it again by working his magic and ruining yet another top player's chances of challenging seriously in the major slam tournaments.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:58 am

gboycottnut wrote:
monty junior wrote:I sort of stopped following tennis for about 4 years between 2004 and 2008. I remember watching the 2004 wimbledon final, i liked Roddick, huge serve, agressive with his forehand. I start watching him at Queens four years later and he hit no winners except off of weak service returns or the odd volley. He lets his forehand drop ridiculously low, what is Stefanki coaching him? to roll the ball half way up the court and defend when he is clearly not a good mover or defender. Stefanki should go immediately and maybe see if Agassi is available otherwise Roddick's career is pretty much done. That backhand is just yuck.

Larry Stefanki the same coach who was responsible for ruining Tim Henman's chance of winning Wimbledon by getting him to change his service stance and take a shorter backswing at his serve in order to gain more accuracy at the expense of losing some power or oomph into the shot. Looks like Stefanki is at it again by working his magic and ruining yet another top player's chances of challenging seriously in the major slam tournaments.

This is the same Stefanki who apparently is being linked with Murray.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:50 pm

Please no. mad

gboy your right, i remember Henman lost something like 8mph average off his serve after he started working with Stefanki. Roddicks gone backwards big time.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

"This is the same Stefanki who apparently is being linked with Murray"

I certainly hope not - where did you get that info from CJ?

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Wed 29 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

I think Murray and Stefanki could be good together, I remember some constructive critism/comments Stefanki made about Murray a while back:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8134703.stm
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2