The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criminals In Football

+13
Pr4wn
beninho
CFCNick
Doon the Water
User Name
Marky
TipToes88
sodhat
Brady12
Norfolk and Good
legendkillar
Derbyblue
AberdeenSteve
17 posters

Go down

Criminals In Football Empty Criminals In Football

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 pm

In recent years we've seen footballers personal lives lead to the commit crime and in the more high profile examples, the crimes have been disgraceful. A few of these I'll list below.

Lee Hughes: Sent to prison for 3 years for killing a man due to dangerous driving.
Marlon Kind: Sent to prison for a year for sexual assault and ABH. Also placed on the sex offenders register.
Craig Thomson: Recently placed on the sex offenders register for indecent exposure to a 12 & 14 year old.

My question is should these guys and the many others caught in criminal acts ie players being charged for speeding be allowed to continue to play professional football?

If my club signed a player convicted of more serious criminal charges I would seriously need to rethink my position.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Criminals In Football Empty Re: Criminals In Football

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:17 pm

If me or you were on a sex offenders list Steve we'd have a hell of a job trying to find alternative employment and rightly so. I find all of the above three vile human beings.

I find it disgusting that in an age where unemployment levels have reached an all time high we are left reading of serial offenders and in Hughes' case an effective murderer signing lucrative new contracts.

I know we all make mistakes and I am no angel myself but woman beaters, sex offenders, flashers and arrogant drunk drivers deserve no place in football or any other highly paid industry full stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Unfortunately there are many footballers who have bad records which would make it harder for someone with a different job to find work, but it doesn't seem to have any affect on footballers careers. Gary Madine assaulted a fan in a pub (he was "provoked") and yet still his job at Carlisle was safe, though we have since sold him and he has now been arrested in relation to an arson attack.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Think you both summed it perfectly that there are 'normal' guy who are convicted yet would never get the most low paid of jobs because of what they did but these supposed role models are getting paid thousands a week even though some of them have done terrible things.

Would any of you guys stop supporting your team because of something like this?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I continued to support Carlisle while Madine was still at the club though I don't imagine it helped the clubs image in the local area and it may have put a few fans off the club, then again if you insult a drunk 19 year old with an ego you're likely to be asking for trouble.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:03 pm

It is a difficult scenario. Either way you look at it at they will get supported by the system. If they go to jail, taxpayers foot the bill, if they become jobless, they scrounge off the system.

This one is for the 'Justice' system. They could argue that they have 'served' there time for the crimes and that they are entitled to make a living.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolk and Good Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:31 am

Perhaps more worrying is the number of criminals who are involved in the running of football clubs. From the bottom up the game seems to attract an amazing number of low lifes.

Norfolk and Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Raval Morrison one of Man Utd's most promising youngsters since the class of 92 is no angel... Not sure on exact details but he's been convicted of some sort of assualt & also intimidating a witness!!
Fergie however continues to give him chances because he knows theres a chance the boy has the talent... Rumour has it we're trying to take him on the US tour but he wont get let in.

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 am

I'm not surprised that football clubs are willing to take on criminals in a game where money and winning have usurped ethics in general.

However, it is slightly different to if one of us 'normal' people went to prison and then struggled to find work afterwards, as most of the jobs we go for have a skill set that can be repeated by many non-convicts. Football is a very specific skill set that not just anyone can do -- and if you're good, you're going to be hired whether you're a bellend or not.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:40 pm

I'm not happy about people getting sheltered by their clubs to be honest. If a footballer picks up a speeding ticket for getting flashed doing 75 down the A1 thats okay (we all get them) but its the unethical crimes that get me. These are the people our kids look to for an example and their out getting behind the wheel of their Aston Martins after a urine up or kicking peoples heads in. Even the "legal" ones where the fans back up the player. Like Giggs, serial cheater who has got fans slamming one of the women he pumped with death threats and hate mail even though he is partly responsible. Instead of being let off with more they should be getting off with less

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Steve Evans has been manager of Crawley Town for a few years now, despite pleading guilty to tax evasion while manager of Boston United back in the mid 2000's. When he joined there was uproar, but while he was involved behind the scenes at Boston, he has been nothing but team manager and has guided us to the Football League!

But the cloud still hangs over him...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 pm

If they sack him surley he can take them to court for unfair dismissal?

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Re. Craig Thompson.
I see one of the club's sponsors has withdrawn his support because of the club's decision not to sack him.
Difficult one this as he has already been punished by the law, but I cannot see how his teammates and supporters could welcome back.
What an idiot, thrown his life away for one stupid action.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 am

There was also the Plymouth goalkeeper, Luke McCormick a few years ago that killed two kids in a car accident by dangerous driving and he was double the drink drive limit. Think he got 7 years in the big house.

Take a look at some of the nicer gentleman of the sporting world https://www.606v2.com/t7119-good-news-stories

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:01 am

Another 7 teens have come out and claimed that Craig Thomson had sexual assaulted them over the internet.

He is ruined.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Being convicted of a crime and having served a sentance, should not stop someone getting paid employment. Unless the crime affects the job that is. An employer is not able to discriminate against ex-offenders though some do.

More of an issue is people thinking footballers are role models, thats just a bit strange.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 pm

It's all up to the employer. If they want the liability of taking on a convicted criminal then that's up to them.

As far as I'm concerned, while what Lee Hughes etc did is truly awful, they have paid their debt to society and deserve to function as citizens once again.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Paid their dues? I can sort of buy it if a Joe Bloggs comes out and slips back into normal life, but these people take up the spotlight and rub it in their victims and families faces. Yes let them come out and live a normal life, but not a fame soaked stupidly paid one

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm

How can being a footballer who has commited a crime be rubbing it in their victims face by being a footballer. Its a job. Its a well paid job, for some people but its still a job non the less. People take football and sport to serious.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 pm

I don't really care, the law deals with punishment. It's not up to us to judge. They aren't role models and shouldn't be held up to those standards. Although if Ian Huntley rocked up for a training session at my village team In a few years I'm not sure I'd be so apathetic.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:58 am

TechInept wrote:They aren't role models and shouldn't be held up to those standards.

Perhaps not to you, but I think footballers are definetly role models for children, I'm sure as a child while playing football you'd copy the mannerisms, or pretend that your favourite player was a teammate or something like that. Although that doesn't mean that children are going to go out and Cuddle people, something like that will affect a child.

I think when we pay these footballers so much, as it is us essentialy paying them, we do expect them to be role models. With footballers, it's seems that too often they're happy to accept the spotlight when they want it, but when they do something wrong; they shun it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicTruthSpeaker Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:34 pm

FreekShow wrote:

I find it disgusting that in an age where unemployment levels have reached an all time high we are left reading of serial offenders and in Hughes' case an effective murderer signing lucrative new contracts.

What's the economic situation got to do with the conviction of footballers? Do you expect Hearts to put an advert in their local JobCentre Plus to find a new right back and get someone off benefits?

No different than the likes of Ian Brown from the Stone Roses being sent to prison for air rage - would you refuse to listen to his music for the same reason? Did you kick off when EastEnders hired Leslie Grantham (a convicted murderer, no less)... twice?

They've been to prison, and served their time. Get over it.

DemonicTruthSpeaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:47 pm

DemonicTruthSpeaker wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

What's the economic situation got to do with the conviction of footballers? Do you expect Hearts to put an advert in their local JobCentre Plus to find a new right back and get someone off benefits?

No different than the likes of Ian Brown from the Stone Roses being sent to prison for air rage - would you refuse to listen to his music for the same reason? Did you kick off when EastEnders hired Leslie Grantham (a convicted murderer, no less)... twice?

They've been to prison, and served their time. Get over it.

You've obviously missed the point there completely then.

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicTruthSpeaker Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:33 pm

Well, would you care to elucidate?

Let's have a look at the entirety of your post...:

'If me or you were on a sex offenders list Steve we'd have a hell of a job trying to find alternative employment and rightly so. I find all of the above three vile human beings.

I know we all make mistakes and I am no angel myself but woman beaters, sex offenders, flashers and arrogant drunk drivers deserve no place in football or any other highly paid industry full stop..'

So your arguments are what? That convicted felons (who have served their time in prison) should be banned from doing the job they were doing before their respective convictions, on the basis that those jobs in question are well-paid? So again, using this logic, the BBC should have refused to employ Stephen Fry, who's been to prison? Johnny Vaughn shouldn't be a highly paid radio presenter?

These footballers are not just members of society - in their business, they are sought-after commodities, and are therefore very valuable to their new employers.

If I am missing your point, then do feel free to point out where I'm going wrong...

DemonicTruthSpeaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:07 pm

My point being that there are hundreds of thousands, if not more, people out of work with families to provide for desperate for re-employment whilst these pathetic excuses for human beings will go onto earn a ridiculous whack of money at another club but hey as they are 'not just members of society' it's all above board?

It's just my opinion and alot of people will agree with it.

You can't tell me that any of the above served a justifiable sentence? Ask the family of the guy who Lee Hughes killed if three years was a sufficient enough punishment. If you was a club chairman would you employ a player that solicits himself to a 12 year old child? Maybe you would...

So no, I personally wouldn't take on and pay an inflated salary to any of the above players. Some people just don't deserve the reward but again that's just my opinion.

I agree with your point in that players are now commodities and that's what is sad about football today. So are we to conclude that football is now beyond any sort of moral code?

I personally wouldn't tar Stephen fry with the same brush as Marlon King but each to their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicTruthSpeaker Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Rightio...:

'My point being that there are hundreds of thousands, if not more, people out of work with families to provide for desperate for re-employment whilst these pathetic excuses for human beings will go onto earn a ridiculous whack of money at another club but hey as they are 'not just members of society' it's all above board?'

It doesn't matter about people being out of work, that's neither here nor there. Fact is, Coventry needed a goalscorer with a proven record at Championship level, and weren't able to go and stump up a transfer fee. Marlon King is available on a free transfer, and having a criminal record for any offence should not proclude anyone from earning a wage. It stinks, but Coventry made a decision based on their funding at the time. It worked for them, his goals earned them points, he's resurrected his career. Again, I'd re-iterate that he served his time, and deserves a second chance as much as the afore-mentioned Fry and Vaughan have had.

It's just my opinion and alot of people will agree with it.

I don't agree (but that's an argument for another time and place, I suspect)

You can't tell me that any of the above served a justifiable sentence? Ask the family of the guy who Lee Hughes killed if three years was a sufficient enough punishment. If you was a club chairman would you employ a player that solicits himself to a 12 year old child? Maybe you would...

At what point do I even start to debate their sentences? It matters not what I think of the length of sentence, the fact remains they have served their time, and deserve the opportunity to rehabilitate. I'd also add that due to their elevated public profiles, any further misconduct is going to be reported in a heartbeat - a strong deterrent if ever I've heard of one. As for whether I'd employ a player that solicits himself, that has no bearing on this in the slightest.

So no, I personally wouldn't take on and pay an inflated salary to any of the above players. Some people just don't deserve the reward but again that's just my opinion.

What do you want to do? Employ them on minimum wage instead? They work in a business that pays elevated wages... therefore, they're going to receive what the clubs percieve them to be worth. I happen to think that all footballers get paid a substantial amount more than they're actually worth, but I can't see that you can say to one player that he can have £x, but to another he must receive less because he's a convicted criminal. As I have said, they deserve a second chance exactly the same as anyone else, and should not be prevented from doing their jobs.

I agree with your point in that players are now commodities and that's what is sad about football today. So are we to conclude that football is now beyond any sort of moral code?

Footballs moral code went out of the window many years ago, the instant it stopped being a sport and became a business.

I personally wouldn't tar Stephen fry with the same brush as Marlon King but each to their own..

Fry got a second chance, and has done very well for himself. Why doesn't Marlon King deserve the same courtesy? Leslie Grantham killed someone, and became one of the most recognisable soap actors of the 1980s... he also received a second chance... and yet Marlon King doesn't?

I'm not saying that what any of them is right, and it should be forgotten. i'm saying that these men have committed crimes, but deserve a second chance in society. They just happen to have jobs that equate to a high wage packet.

DemonicTruthSpeaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:39 pm

To be fair Demonic Marlon King has had a fair few second chances and I'd doubt the threat of further reported misdemeanors would be act as a deterrent but only time will tell.

But I take your points which came across well. We'll just have to disagree on this one.

It is interesting though that more and more prospective employees are having to undergo criminal record checks out here in the real world which would suggest to me that perhaps me and you wouldn't get a fair crack at a second chance but that's another debate altogether!

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 pm

DemonicTruthSpeaker wrote:Fry got a second chance, and has done very well for himself. Why doesn't Marlon King deserve the same courtesy? Leslie Grantham killed someone, and became one of the most recognisable soap actors of the 1980s... he also received a second chance... and yet Marlon King doesn't?
Marlon King has 14 convictions for offences since 1997 and has been in prison twice, there is having a second chance and having a 15th chance.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

joey barton has had several chances should he not be playing football. you can only do as much time as they judge and jury decide after that you go back on living your life like anyone else i know several people been to jail come out and doing excellent now in high profile jobs.

if everyone went by the law no one would be in a job cos they'd all get done for swearing , littering stupid little insignificant issues.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicTruthSpeaker Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

I'd add one more name into the debate (which I have enjoyed immensely, it must be said) - Tony Adams.

Went to prison early in his career, but emerged to be one of the most successful captains in top flight history, won the Double with Arsenal, lead his country in major championships, and has counselled other players battling varying addictions through his 'Sporting Chance' clinic.

He wouldn't have been able to do any of this if he was banned from the game on the basis of his conviction.

DemonicTruthSpeaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down