The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predict your stars of the world cup

+18
pete (buachaill on eirne)
funnyExiledScot
Looseheaded
bedfordwelsh
red_stag
Feckless Rogue
boomeranga
kiwicraving
Glas a du
rawa86
flankertye
MBTGOG
rugbyman
wales606
majesticimperialman
rodders
InjuredYetAgain
littlejohn
22 posters

Go down

Predict your stars of the world cup Empty Predict your stars of the world cup

Post by littlejohn Sat 25 Jun - 21:54

ok, before you diss me i agree this is a very subjective post, but i'd like to see who people think will be the 3 most impressive forwards and backs of the of the world cup.

my 3 forwards are: pocock, sean o'brien, k read (controversially leaving mccaw out as refs seem to have him figured out)

my 3 backs are: zac guildford, sonny bill, quade cooper

i've picked backrows partly as breakdown dominance will be a key deciding factor in winning games, and in the backs i've gone for the 3 best game breakers in my view.

i dont expect anyone to go for the same 6 but interested to see other views too.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Predict your stars of the world cup Empty Re: Predict your stars of the world cup

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat 25 Jun - 21:58

I don't know if i could predict 6 but I think Beale from Aus, Richie Gray from Scotland and Coutney Lawes from England could all get a lot of good publicity on the back of their performances.
I didn't see all of this morning's match but Zac Guildford seems to be slightly hesitant when he gets the ball. Once he knows that he isn't going to get tackled staright away, he definites comes into his own. Against poor opposition, I think he willdo well but, to me, to be a star you have to perform well in the closer games

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Predict your stars of the world cup Empty Re: Predict your stars of the world cup

Post by rodders Sat 25 Jun - 22:11

Hmm very difficult to pick out 6 and who knows what will happen.

I think O'Brien, Brad Thorn and Pocock will really stand out in the forwards nad I expect it to be a real tournement for the back rowers.

In the backs Sonny Bill Williams, Hosea Gear and Jonny Sexton.

Sean O'Brien and SBW to be the stand out players in the tournement

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 25 Jun - 22:43

I am not too sure i could pick six player to be honest.

If i was picking just for England.The three players i would pick is Chris Ashton, Ben Foden, Courtney Lawes.Other players/s maybe Tom Waldrom,I get a feeling that if,if,he is given a chance he will take it with both hands.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 25 Jun - 23:26

SOB
Warburton
SBW
Matfield
Genia
O'Connor
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyman Sat 25 Jun - 23:35

SOB
Kaino
Dusotoir
Cooper
Beale
Mapusua (i just want to see him at his best now hes left irish Sad but he is a great player)

rugbyman

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Sat 25 Jun - 23:38

Sam Whitelock, Juan Smith and Tatafu Palota-Nau in the forwards.

Jacques Fourie, Miguel Rodriguez and Sexton in the backs.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sun 26 Jun - 2:20

I'm gonna say Whitelock, Lawes and Hartley.
For the backs SBW, Beale and Foden

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by rawa86 Sun 26 Jun - 6:52

'controversially leaving mccaw out as refs seem to have him figured out'

Wow. What a statement.

Forwards: Mccaw, Read, Harinordoquy.

Backs: Carter, Sonny Bill, O'Connor.

rawa86

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 26 Jun - 7:22

The Crux or Southern Cross. Only question is 4 red or 5 White plus the Commonwealth star?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwicraving Sun 26 Jun - 9:45

Guilford? hahaha no.... i doubt he'll travel tbh.

kiwicraving

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sun 26 Jun - 12:28

Not a best players list, but a few things I am looking forward to:
- O'Brien as I haven't had the opportunity to take a look yet.
- Broussow, pocock and McAwe as the time maybe right for one of the youngsters to assume the title
- The Argentine and French packs
- Sonny Bill, who I think will be the on field star of the tournament
- From purely a Waratahs point of view, Polota-Nau and Beale
- Robbie Deans giving his press conferences in NZ and all the ensuing frothing at the mouth

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 26 Jun - 19:41

Sean O'Brien won ERC player of the year and his uncanny ability to break tackles makes him great to watch. He still doesn't have many caps though. We'll see if he can step up and be as influential against the big international sides. Foden is also a player to watch.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun 26 Jun - 22:25

rawa86 wrote:'controversially leaving mccaw out as refs seem to have him figured out'

Wow. What a statement.

Forwards: Mccaw, Read, Harinordoquy.

Backs: Carter, Sonny Bill, O'Connor.

ok maybe i left him out because i hate how good he is. You have to admit that when he's played this year he hasn't been at his best. when crusaders lost to the reds i'm pretty sure it was Mccaw who conceded the penalty that cost them the game....

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 26 Jun - 22:38

Could a "lesser star" like Gio Aplom, Digby Ioane light up the place I wonder?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 27 Jun - 9:11

If he's given the chance then I think Faletau will step up to the mark for Wales and prove he can be our No8 for years to come.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Mon 27 Jun - 11:00

Feckless Rogue wrote:Sean O'Brien won ERC player of the year and his uncanny ability to break tackles makes him great to watch. He still doesn't have many caps though. We'll see if he can step up and be as influential against the big international sides. Foden is also a player to watch.

That's what I've been hearing FR. Irish have a real strength in the backrow by the sounds.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 27 Jun - 11:13

Forwards- Sam Warburton, Richie Gray, French number 8 whose name I will not embarrass myself by misspelling.

Backs- George North, SBW, Quade Cooper.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 27 Jun - 11:25

Forwards: Kaino, McCaw and Read (who I think will establish themselves as one of the great back row trios).

Honourable mentions: SOB and Pocock.

Backs: Carter, Foden and Beale.

Honourable mentions: SBW and Cooper.

Scottish honourable mentions - Richie Gray in the pack, and Sean Lamont at centre/wing. If we make the QF, these will be our key players.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 27 Jun - 11:27

boomeranga wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:Sean O'Brien won ERC player of the year and his uncanny ability to break tackles makes him great to watch. He still doesn't have many caps though. We'll see if he can step up and be as influential against the big international sides. Foden is also a player to watch.

That's what I've been hearing FR. Irish have a real strength in the backrow by the sounds.

Yes and no. Stephen Ferris is injured and Denis Leamy is a shadow of who he used to be. Shane Jennings is a guy who looks great at club level but never delivers when stepping up. Sean O'Brien is untested really as an international. David Wallace and Jamie Heaslip are looking the part.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 27 Jun - 11:36

Forwards: A French front row, O'Brien, Pocock, Mathfield, Lawes, Read

backs: Sexton, SBW, Beale, Foden, O'Connor, Adam Ashley Cooper

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 27 Jun - 11:48

If he's fit to go to the World Cup, I think Aurelien Rougerie could be outstanding for France at centre.

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Mon 27 Jun - 12:00; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 27 Jun - 11:52

Backs - SBW, Beale, O'Connor

Forwards - Botha, Read, POC

Only 1 NH which says everything

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 27 Jun - 11:54

I'm not going to try and pick 3 from the world, but I think Lawes and Foden could have a big impact for England.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 27 Jun - 13:09

red_stag wrote:
boomeranga wrote:

Yes and no. Stephen Ferris is injured and Denis Leamy is a shadow of who he used to be. Shane Jennings is a guy who looks great at club level but never delivers when stepping up. Sean O'Brien is untested really as an international. David Wallace and Jamie Heaslip are looking the part.

Staggy, I'm sure that is sacrilege!!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down