The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath?

+7
emack2
Knowsit17
Intotouch
red_stag
tecphobe
geoff998rugby
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
11 posters

Go down

Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath? Empty Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:39 pm

Interesting article here, suggesting that SA don't like their chances of adding the Southern Kings as a 16th team any time soon.

And the idea that they're trying to slot the Kings into an NH comp somewhere is ... interesting.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath? Empty Re: Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

And a related article here.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath? Empty Re: Super Rugby expansion - don't hold your breath?

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

They tried to get SA teams added to the Celtic league a few years back.
With the entry of the Italians I think they have missed the boat.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:They tried to get SA teams added to the Celtic league a few years back.
With the entry of the Italians I think they have missed the boat.

I suspect that SARU is throwing the "Kings up North" thing out there for domestic consumption - a bit of a "Hey, we're trying to do something here" even though it's unlikely to come to much.

Pity the Churchill Cup is being canned - playing in that might do them some good.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

I would thing from an irish perspective it would be great to have them in the league.

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 27 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

To be honest not really chuffed about idea of our teams having to pay travel expenses to SA that often.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 27 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

What do you mean that often? One South African team in the league would mean one away trip there a year. I'd love to see it happen. It's be brilliant.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

What exactly is the point in proposing more and more teams to Super Rugby? Is it to better exploit the talent within larger spaces and areas within one country or the other?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

Quite frankly the S15 does`nt want expanding it wants reducing,or become a two tier one.
There are 5 clubs every year that struggle to win even one or two matches a year.
It is true that any side on there day can beat another,BUT fairness says ALL the sides play the same sides.
Teams like the Crusaders[at full strength]would fancy there chances against Lions,Cheetahs,Force,Brumbies,Rebels anywhere.
That is not saying they would always win,but it stop bleating about the vagaries of a draw that may have cost a team a possible Home Semi,and Final.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

What they should do is have a Argentina set up 3 teams (one played in SA and one the Vodaphone cup this year) and the Southern Kings play them for the next few tears bringing both sets of teams on

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

This article:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/saints/exclusive_keith_barwell_interview_part_three_i_m_proud_of_what_i_have_achieved_1_2813994

suggests there are people involved with the English clubs who would like to see a SA side added to the AP. Obviously this would be quite a different league, presumably with ring-fencing. I don't know how likely this is.

I have to say I'm glad to see Barwell taking more of a back seat. I don't agree with his vision for rugby at-all. e.g.

The club game is growing and Barwell believes it will eventually win its battle with the RFU and become like football.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:20 pm

If their were talking about expanding the Sanzaar why not include Buenos Aires instead?
If Argentina are joining the 3 Nations how can they bridge the gap between their domestic competition and International rugby without top class rugby?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

Cant see them joining a NH league any time soon.

The Pro12 is full now with the Italians, and the travel costs would be a huge point of contention (there was enough problems with compensation from the Italians)

The English league will remain English

Cant see the French budging for the SAs when they wouldnt for the Italians

I suppose they could join the Italian league, but would that be beneficial?

Mabye a 2 tier SH competition needs to be made? With teams from Argentina, Figi, Samoa, Toga etc included.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

Why add another SA side when two sides are hardly worth there place now.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

emack2 wrote:Why add another SA side when two sides are hardly worth there place now.

Politics emack, politics.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down