The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mens Quarter Finals

+36
noleisthebest
HM Murdock
EnglishReign
luciusmann
erictheblueuk
monty junior
gallery play
droogle
CaledonianCraig
Dave.
Tom_____
Simple_Analyst
FedsFan
sirfredperry
CFCNick
Chazfazzer
Tenez
barrystar
beeman
GloucesterBear
super_realist
superochog
Davie
dummy_half
Beer
bogbrush
Talatonian
Duty281
yloponom68
socal1976
Mad for Chelsea
lydian
wow
Guest82
sportslover
legendkillar
40 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mens Quarter Finals - Page 3 Empty Mens Quarter Finals

Post by legendkillar Mon 27 Jun 2011, 9:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Who is your money on?

Nadal v Fish
Murray v Lopez
Federer v Tsonga
Djokovic v Tomic

Surely is it going to be Semi Finals where the big 4 are there again? Can anyone remember the last time that happened at back to back Grand Slams?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Mens Quarter Finals - Page 3 Empty Re: Mens Quarter Finals

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Well played to both men. Federer just not being able to click in that last set. Federer showing great humility at the end there. Remember when Roddick lost to Lopez and sped off. Roger being extremely gracious there. Very nice to see.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

dummy_half wrote:Federer made something like 14 UEs in the match, so it wasn't that he gave it away.

Tsonga just played the match of his life - only dropped serve once in 5 sets, and that was in his opening service game.

Congratulations to J-WT. Further proof that when he's fit and on form he can give everyone a real match.

I agree here - he played well generally, but i think he was unable to raise himself when needed - particularly in the big points and the start of the 5th. Tsonga on the other hand showed us what a sprint finish in tennis terms looks like - it was never in doubt during that last game - even the commentators said Fed didn't have an answer at one point.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

luciusmann wrote:Djokovic will be World No.1 on Monday, without a doubt.

I hope so but Tsonga in that form can beat anyone. I don't know if he has the consistency to play at that level again but then Novak hasn't been that consistent this tournament either. I'm nervous!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

Well, I do feel for Roger he just didn't play badly, he didn't give this away, Tsonga just plain blasted Fed off the court. Tough matches for the big 4 at the start of these QFs. Novak had to fight in a tough 4 setter past the teenager. And Roger plays a good clean match, serves brilliantly and still gets completely blasted off the court. At the risk of infuriating the Federer fans and the legion of slow condition theorists, would faster conditions have helped federer against a player like Tsonga. Roger is a great champion, i picked him to win this thing, a bit sad, really would like to see Roger get another taste of Grandslam glory again.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

droogle wrote:Tsonga was outplaying Murray for most of the Queens final but flunked the crucial points. When he was on he looked devastating there too.

This is the thing with Tsonga, in that he is devastating when hes on, but normally he cannot sustain it. This is the longest streak of form i seen him have since the AO final. Hes a passion player and when he got ahead in the 3rd, he just seemed to come alive really. It was a great display.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Murdoch, Tsonga is going to be a tough semi, but at the same time Roger would have been a real tough semi as well. Frankly, I don't give that much creedence to Novak being 2-5 against Tsonga in their h2h. Novak has won the biggest match they have ever played at the AO final 08 and most of those wins Tsonga has over Novak came during Novak's 18 month swoon on his serve. He is not pete sampras, but right now he has become a very effective server. I look for him to get at least 2 or 3 breaks against JW and take this thing in a tough 4 sets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by superochog Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Roger's serves were solid but when it was not solid it came three or four at a time. Did anyone see Sue crying laughing

superochog

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:45 pm

It depends, if Djokovic holds his serve throughout his match vs Tsonga then there will be tie breakers and I think that more often than not, Djokovic will win those more than Tsonga.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

Tsonga combines the best of everything: he's got the height and power to serve outrageously but moves as well as anyone. Now he's hitting single and double-handed backhands apparently spontaneously.

Going by his record he ought to blow cold soon enough but you always wonder if this is the moment when it might have all come together for him, as it did for Novak earlier in the year.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

socal1976 wrote:Well, I do feel for Roger he just didn't play badly, he didn't give this away, Tsonga just plain blasted Fed off the court. Tough matches for the big 4 at the start of these QFs. Novak had to fight in a tough 4 setter past the teenager. And Roger plays a good clean match, serves brilliantly and still gets completely blasted off the court. At the risk of infuriating the Federer fans and the legion of slow condition theorists, would faster conditions have helped federer against a player like Tsonga. Roger is a great champion, i picked him to win this thing, a bit sad, really would like to see Roger get another taste of Grandslam glory again.

To be honest in faster conditions - i think he may have got blasted away even more so. It was interesting to note that Tsonga in the last two sets was winning rallies across the board of all different lengths - thats power power and form speaking. He was simply outplaying him.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

luciusmann wrote:It depends, if Djokovic holds his serve throughout his match vs Tsonga then there will be tie breakers and I think that more often than not, Djokovic will win those more than Tsonga.

question is, based on what we saw today, will Djoko be able to hold serve consistently?

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

so happy for Tsonga! Can't believe how well Fed was serving and he still lost, looking forward to the highlights to watch later. But sounded awesome from reading the Beeb's live text. It's going to be perfect timing for me now though to watch the Murray match when I get home now! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

Yes, Tom, it was pretty clear from the third set on that Roger was having problems dealing with the Tsonga serve and forehand combination. People want to talk about slower conditions but its a double edged sword. Would faster conditions have helped Fed against Del Po in 09 US, tonight against Tsonga, or in the 09 wimby final against Roddick where he won? Personally, Tsonga is very dangerous semi for Novak, but I think in a grandslam playing for the #1 ranking we will see the best from Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

socal1976 wrote:Murdoch, Tsonga is going to be a tough semi, but at the same time Roger would have been a real tough semi as well. Frankly, I don't give that much creedence to Novak being 2-5 against Tsonga in their h2h. Novak has won the biggest match they have ever played at the AO final 08 and most of those wins Tsonga has over Novak came during Novak's 18 month swoon on his serve. He is not pete sampras, but right now he has become a very effective server. I look for him to get at least 2 or 3 breaks against JW and take this thing in a tough 4 sets.

Have faith, Socal...Nole IS the best Smile !

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

If Djoko holds himself mentally, I'd say so, just like when Nadal went out in the French '09 Fed knew that this was his best opportunity of winning the French, he took it. Djoko will know this is his best chance (so far) of @ least reaching the Wimbledon final. Also, Djoko will move faster then Fed, just watching Fed was painful, Tsonga was fast, true, but Fed could have reached some of the shots but he just gave up the strong desire needed to make them.

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Can't believe the the lack of height on the Fish ball toss on serve. Amazing how he manages power like that.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Yes lucius and Nitb, I think Novak will win in the semi against Tsonga, not because Tsonga is lacking but I feel like Novak is playing Tsonga with his serve firing as opposed to those recent matchups he has lost to Tsonga in 09 and 10. The difference between playing Roger right now and Novak is that Novak is a better serve returner and he makes you fight hard all match to hold serve. Roger just couldn't find away to get at Tsonga's serve at all.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom_____ Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yes lucius and Nitb, I think Novak will win in the semi against Tsonga, not because Tsonga is lacking but I feel like Novak is playing Tsonga with his serve firing as opposed to those recent matchups he has lost to Tsonga in 09 and 10. The difference between playing Roger right now and Novak is that Novak is a better serve returner and he makes you fight hard all match to hold serve. Roger just couldn't find away to get at Tsonga's serve at all.

I agree, but - the 4th set today i think it was, Tsonga won 80% of points on second serve and so took it to Federer even when not having an absolute advantage in the point. Djoko will has to keep his spirits high.

Tom_____

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

Murray breaks, just making too many returns out there, and Lopez can't cope.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:21 pm

That change of pace in that slice rally to booming FH's was immense.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Lopez needs to up that first serve precentage, otherwise he's in big trouble.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

Andy coasts to a 6-3 first set win without getting out of second gear.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

Murray really wearing Lopez down here, constantly making him hit tough volleys, and eventually it's bound to get him the breakthrough you think. Lopez digs deep to hold there though

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:48 pm

Murray breaks! Just keeps making the returns and Lopez breaks down, netting an easy volley. Murray now in total control.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

Lopez is just not up for it, he needs some fire in that belly

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

Murray still totally in control on serve, and just eases into a two sets lead here

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:08 pm

Lopez must regret playing doubles as he can't go five sets which he will have to now.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:09 pm

Murray two sets up without really being pushed at all. No way back now for Lopez.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

Looks like Murray may have pulled something in the groin area. Just hope it is nothing too conerning. There has been opportunities for Lopez in this match, he just hasn't taken them.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

Hmmm Murray looks to have just tweaked something a little, and suddenly he's under pressure on serve. He does well, though, finding the winners and holding serve

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

GOT IT! Two brilliant return/winning pass combos give Murray the crucial break in the third set! High quality returning from the world n°4

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:37 pm

68% 2nd serve points won for Murray. A very positive stat. Smile

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:42 pm

Go to say that Tim Henman for £200,000 to commentate has barely said boo to a goose during this match. Shameful.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:44 pm

Murray still carrying a bit of an injury, but does well there, saving two break points to hold. On the first, he bravely stops the point to challenge a Lopez backhand which he feels is long. He's right too, miles long, dreadful umpiring!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

GSM MURRAY!!!! Come on!!! Yahoo

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

That's how to serve for the match, three successive aces, and that's job very much done for Murray. Excellent performance!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by yummymummy Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

ANDEEEEEEEEEE

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

yummymummy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:53 pm

well Murray fans, what do we think of that? Not troubled on serve until he picked up his slight twinge, and returned so many of Lopez's serves. Pretty good, no? Plays the winner of Fish and Nadal in the semis, looking very much like Nadal at the moment...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:53 pm

Andy through with the minimum of fuss. Mr Consistency in the slams this year as, along with Djokovic, he is the only player to have reached the semis or better at all three slams this year.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:54 pm

Well done Andy thumbsup

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 6:55 pm

Well it was another efficient performance from Andy. I think he is playing the best tennis of his career. Be amazing to see him take that step further and claim the big one.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

Cannot believe Federer lost after being 2 sets up. Credit to Tonga for coming back like that.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

so we have our semi-final line-up, and it's uncannily similar to last year's, with Federer's conqueror Tsonga (as opposed to Berdych last year) up against Novak Djokovic, and Murray taking on Nadal.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:15 pm

Wasn't surprised that Tsonga won, Roger forgot to sign autographs after his 4th round win which may have brought bad karma on him..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

Legend,

did you see the whole Fed Tsong match, and if so, what thinkest thou about Friday semis?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Wed 29 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

I sky plused it and watched it. It's like there is 2 Tsongas. One that loses from 2 sets up like he did against Wawrinka and the one that wins fom 2 sets down. Be interested to see which one shows up on Friday.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

Wish I'd had the courage of my convictions and taken a trip to the bookies. Easy to say now but I fancied Tsonga to be the one to upset the big three. Can see him getting to the final now

As for Murray - I'm surprised Lopez didn't make more of Murray's obvious discomfort. Seemed Murray changed his game to try to get it over quickly after he tweaked whatever he tweaked, and if Lopez had kept the ball more in play then he could've taken it

Nadal/Tsonga final now looks the best bet

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:49 pm

Fed losing news must be sounding like muzik to djokorovic's ears. Very Happy

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down