The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live

+19
LewseyforPM
Masked Magician
ECricket
trebellbobaggins
msp83
Mike Selig
Gregers
Carrotdude
Fists of Fury
dublfcynwa
ncfc_Tooze
liverbnz
Stellar Key
eirebilly
LondonLion
Duty281
Mad for Chelsea
activereactive
hokeye_on sticky wicket
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live - Page 4 Empty ***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live

Post by hokeye_on sticky wicket Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Tuesday, June 28, The Oval
Start time 1300 (1200 GMT)

Team news
as per cricinfo...
Andrew Strauss's ODI retirement means there will be no change more notable than the one at the top of the order, where Cook will be reunited with his opening partner from last year's tour of Bangladesh, Craig Kieswetter. Of the two rookies who opened the bowling in the Twenty20, Chris Woakes seems the likelier to make way for the returning James Anderson, which means Jade Dernbach should make his ODI debut on his home ground. Tim Bresnan's late inclusion in the squad could squeeze Samit Patel out of the starting XI, despite his five-wicket haul on this ground against South Africa in 2008.

England (probable)
1 Craig Kieswetter (wk), 2 Alastair Cook (capt), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Eoin Morgan, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Samit Patel/Tim Bresnan, 8 Graeme Swann, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 James Anderson, 11 Jade Dernbach.

Sri Lanka had good news late on Monday when Tillakaratne Dilshan was passed fit after his broken thumb and he'll open with Sanath Jayasuriya, meaning Mahela Jayawardene reverts to his middle-order role. Angelo Mathews is still doubtful to bowl and Dilshan may not be risked with the ball, either.

Sri Lanka (probable)
1 Sanath Jayasuriya, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan (capt) 3 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Thilina Kandamby, 6 Angelo Mathews, 7 Thisara Perera, 8 Nuwan Kulasekera, 9 Suranga Lakmal, 10 Suraj Randiv, 11 Lasith Malinga,

Pitch and conditions

London's dank June has given way to a mini-heatwave in the two days leading up to the start of the match, although that is all set to end with thunderstorms forecast for Monday evening. The wet weather should have cleared sufficiently to allow a prompt start at 1pm, but the clouds may still be lingering.

Preview cricinfo link...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-sri-lanka-2011/content/current/story/520960.html

Your take on the match......

hokeye_on sticky wicket

Back to top Go down

***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live - Page 4 Empty Re: ***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:47 pm

and they were fresh from injury and out of form too?

anyway, obvious wum is obvious.

suck it up as he bashes these boys. if he's village then they must be nursery.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live - Page 4 Empty Re: ***England vs Sri Lanka***1st of 5 ODI Live

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:
trebellbobaggins wrote:he does. amazing how bitter some get.

Had had a bad world cup in conditions that were the absolute worst for him and fresh from injury but has been good again since.
Yet guys like Steyn, Khan etc where brilliant. Same excuses from the English, Anderson is village.

Sri Lanka would take him in a second
Malinga is far superior

no we're talking about bowlers here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Excellent performance from England today. Shame a WUM has decided to appear on the thread.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:51 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

Had had a bad world cup in conditions that were the absolute worst for him and fresh from injury but has been good again since.
Yet guys like Steyn, Khan etc where brilliant. Same excuses from the English, Anderson is village.

Also, he is the second best test fast bowler in the world, according to the official ICC rankings.

But obviously, you know better eh?
Wait till he plays a few Tests in Asia, that ranking will soon fall. Getting a few cheap wickets on doctored English pitches is hardly talent.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

Also, he is the second best test fast bowler in the world, according to the official ICC rankings.

Wait till he plays a few Tests in Asia, that ranking will soon fall. Getting a few cheap wickets on doctored English pitches is hardly talent.

What about a few wickets on Australian pitches. Oh, they must have been made just for him as well.

He would get into any team in the world at the moment, no question. When the ball isn't swinging, he is not as good as Steyn, when it is he is lethal. It would take a very one eyed fan not to admit that

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Guys, just ignore the WUM, by reacting your only encouraging him- Just enjoy what is going to be a fine England win.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

But it's fun

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:56 pm

it was only a matter of time Billy.

Morons who care more for talking Poopie than the game are only a sign-up away sadly.

Anway, good performance today. Giving the visiting team a pasting in unfamiliar conditions. Good response to the WC thrashing.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Sad but true trebbs, i actually feel sorry for them, they havent got anything better to do than WUM.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Well done England - nearly there now!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

The country of my birth, Barbados, has seen some of the best of all time. Anderson isn't and never will be in their class.

Australia left grass on the pitches this time round to nullify Swann. Anderson obviously benefited. Hardly World Class

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm

Fair enough Lewsey OK
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Very good performance, it does seen a bit unfair, the Sri Lankans didn't sign up for this!

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:01 pm

I never said he was world class, just not pants like you suggest, which is bloody ridculous

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:I never said he was world class, just not pants like you suggest, which is bloody ridculous
Is he as great as any of my heroes? I think not

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Good little cameo from slingdaddy at the end here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

Nor mine

No one comes close to Ranulph Finnes or Jonny Wilkinson...

He is a mighty fine swing bowler though

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Anderson is one of the best utilisers of swing in the world, in swinging conditions he is world class. SL have batted abysmally today tho

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

why cant we just bowl yorkers that are stragiht and finish the game off

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:08 pm

aprt from these two, they've been the best they've had today.

Slingo is just bashing and hoping but it's worked.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 pm

did Kieswetter just say 'lets see another 6 here then boys'...?

if so laughing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Nice little t20 style stand there. Nothing to lose and he did well.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 pm

come on victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:22 pm

Gregers wrote:Anderson is one of the best utilisers of swing in the world, in swinging conditions he is world class.
Not in Steyn,Asif, Khan or Amir's class.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Well that was well above my expectation. For the first time in a couple of years we totally nailed them to the mast.

I hope to see more performances like this from England.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Good game . Well played England. This should be a good series. SL will do much better when it's sunny and probably win those.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:Nor mine

No one comes close to Ranulph Finnes or Jonny Wilkinson...

He is a mighty fine swing bowler though

thumbsup

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
Gregers wrote:Anderson is one of the best utilisers of swing in the world, in swinging conditions he is world class.

Or you could look at the rankings again...

It might help you see sense, or remember Morkel, who is the next in the pecking order

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 pm

And less boring wumming from around the world while WE are playing Very Happy

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:29 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

It might help you see sense, or remember Morkel, who is the next in the pecking order
As I said none of my boys are in the ranking, at the sharp end anyway.

Rankings should be determined by performances away from home. Then greats would be established.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I would love it if absolutely no one responded to the wums and jut ignored any stupid statement that comes out, they'd soon go away! Great performance today by England!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by LewseyforPM Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Masked Magician wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

Rankings should be determined by performances away from home. Then greats would be established.

ASHES, did you watch?

I don't remember Anderson being Aussie

LewseyforPM

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:33 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

ASHES, did you watch?

I don't remember Anderson being Aussie
One series, doesn't prove very much.

I didn't see Garner, Holding, Marshall go missing in Asia. I didn't see my boys go missing on flat pitches.

Each to there own, but Anderson isn't great.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Indeed Carrot - on all counts. clap

The fair comparison is a toddler having a tantrum - when there's no response from the audience the tantrum fizzles out.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:37 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Indeed Carrot - on all counts. clap

The fair comparison is a toddler having a tantrum - when there's no response from the audience the tantrum fizzles out.
6ft 8in - hardly a toddler.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Indeed Carrot - on all counts. clap

Dernbach bowled well today, Corporal, looks like we'll be seeing a lot less of him at Surrey this summer.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Masked Magician wrote:

Oh great, another poster brimming with knowledge has found his way here.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

I'll wait until Anderson gets a 5fer in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka or Australia before proclaiming him as anything other than one dimensional.

I'd be holding my breath a very long time for that.

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:09 pm

If that's your opinion on Anderson, I'd love to know what you think to Swann, seeing as he's been another criticised cog in England's bowling unit!

Back to top Go down

Post by ECricket Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

How ironic !! raspberry

ECricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:22 pm

Sainty wrote:If that's your opinion on Anderson, I'd love to know what you think to Swann, seeing as he's been another criticised cog in England's bowling unit!
Minnow basher.

West Indies are weak these days, so wickets aren't as valuable. Bangladesh aren't World beaters and Pakistan - the less said the better

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Erm

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:36 pm

oh dear, I see our Masked firend after some dismal attempted WUMming on the tennis boards has found his way here too 🤦

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Masked Magician Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:oh dear, I see our Masked firend after some dismal attempted WUMming on the tennis boards has found his way here too 🤦
a 23 loser who accusing a 60 year old of wumming?

Masked Magician

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:56 pm

LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
LewseyforPM wrote:
Masked Magician wrote:

What about a few wickets on Australian pitches. Oh, they must have been made just for him as well.

He would get into any team in the world at the moment, no question. When the ball isn't swinging, he is not as good as Steyn, when it is he is lethal. It would take a very one eyed fan not to admit that
Anderson has to be one of the best swing bowlers at the moment and as I know it swing bowling doesn't just rely on abit of grass on the pitch, it's also to do with the weather conditions (cloud cover, temperature and moisture in the air etc) so to say its just down to 'doctored english pitches' is ridiculous. As for what happens in asia England already have 3 bowlers in Finn, Tremlett and Broad who can 'hit the pitch hard' so are you going to play all 3 of them with Swann or use Anderson as an alternative type of fast bowler.
As for the World Cup I don't think you can blame any of Englands players for not performing well after they spent 4 or 5 months in Australia. By the time the World Cup came around after Ashes tour they were all exhausted and should have had a month off

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 am

England have desperatly been lacking a strike bowler. Whilst any side would take Anderson, they would also take Makinga in a heart beat who does this on a regualr basis.

To get 3 genuine legends of the ODI game out in 3 overs for just 7 runs is remarkable regardless of conditions. But lets face it hes not going to do that every game.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:England have desperatly been lacking a strike bowler. Whilst any side would take Anderson, they would also take Makinga in a heart beat who does this on a regualr basis.

To get 3 genuine legends of the ODI game out in 3 overs for just 7 runs is remarkable regardless of conditions. But lets face it hes not going to do that every game.

we know he's not but its good to see he can still perform at odi cricket after all the criticism

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:20 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:England have desperatly been lacking a strike bowler. Whilst any side would take Anderson, they would also take Makinga in a heart beat who does this on a regualr basis.

we know he's not but its good to see he can still perform at odi cricket after all the criticism

Quite true, Im just trying to tread a middle ground between the two ridiculous extremes!
Englands batting was good enough to win in that game anyway, it certainly wouldnt have been easy for Sri Lanka even without Anderson having a magic day.

Its interestinmg to note that Englands success has come with a side largely consisting of test players, bolstered by a specialist ODI keeper batsman. Swap Kieswetter for Prior and you have a realistic test X1, no Wright Yardy Patel Buttler Stokes needed.

I still think theres room for improvement though. Broad is horribly ourt of form and ineffective, inury lay off no longer and excuse espacially as he got outshone with bat and ball by Bresnan who wasnt even expected to be fit for the game. He wont get replaced but he needs to stop being a apassenger for England to be truely strong. Also Im yet to be convinced by Cook as captain and batsman, if Bell were given the role ( as strongly argued by Butcher) there would be room for a batsman better suite dto being aggresive down the order and who can offer another bowling option...Bopara. Again its not a change thats going to happen. For some games a second spinner (patel) might be wanted , its difficult to see who comes out for that ...Dernbach?
Just nice to see theres no desperate feeling that England need to give Luke Wright or Yardy another go. I also cant remeber them winning an ODI against a worthwhile side so convincingly. Greta to see Kieswetter making the grade, and Morgans on his way to being an ODI legend (or the nearest thing England have had to one in a long time)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:42 am

Even during his bad imes in test cricket Anderson was one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Andrew Flintoff. He did well in ODIs during most of his career. But after becoming the leader of the test attack, his ODI form slipped, and the wickets ditched him for some time. Anderson always tended to travel a bit around the ground, but he's a wicket taker, and wickets always slows a team down.
Good to see him back after a tough time.
Cook as ODI captain, Him as a ODI batsman itself will take a great deal of convinsing firstly. hopefully he does it.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:20 am

msp83 wrote:Even during his bad imes in test cricket Anderson was one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Andrew Flintoff. He did well in ODIs during most of his career. But after becoming the leader of the test attack, his ODI form slipped, and the wickets ditched him for some time. Anderson always tended to travel a bit around the ground, but he's a wicket taker, and wickets always slows a team down.
Good to see him back after a tough time.
Cook as ODI captain, Him as a ODI batsman itself will take a great deal of convinsing firstly. hopefully he does it.

So aside from when he wasnt in the team he was in it?

He actually ha da long spell where he was being dropped and recalled on rotation mid career, but peversly was always first name on the team sheet when he kept getting injured and couldnt play. When he got fit again he was being left out for Hoggard and only got back in through injuries. Even then it wasnt till he replaced Hoggard on merit in New Zealand (2008?) that hes been frimly entrneched as an first choice England player in any format, and even then hes not always been selected in limited overs games (actually didnt he get dropped in the last windies tour too?).
It does go to show though that the talent spotting does work on occassion. He was marked out from an early age as a guy who had somethging many of the senior bowlers at the time would never have. Its been a long hard road for him, and no doubt there will continue to be off days as for any bowler. The decision to ditch Hoggard seemed controversial at the time, but in the long run has proven to be the right thing to do to bring Jimmy back as the number one swing bowler.
Whats good is that he is still by no means old. He will certainly be around for the next world cup and continued selection should help him to devlope his game. Another think I like about him is he never seems to have stopped learning and clearly works hard with the coaches. Hes devleoped himslef a specialist test batting role as nightwatchman blocking master and has really improved his fielding, like the whole team. All round a solid professional.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4