The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter?

+15
Young_Towzer
Bob
No1Jonesy
J.Benson II
Daz
The Galveston Giant
Imperial Ghosty
Mr Bounce
The genius of PBF
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
captain carrantuohil
whotobeA
Rowley
88Chris05
19 posters

Go down

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter?

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap24%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 9 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap5%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap0%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap14%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap41%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 15 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap14%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap2%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_lcap0%Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 37

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Empty Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter?

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

Top of the morning to you all, lads – is anyone else getting just as excited as I am about the upcoming weekend which contains the two Wimbledon finals and, much more crucially, the Heavyweight unification showdown we’ve all been yearning for?

Anyway, I digress. On the captain’s Hall of Fame thread yesterday, the name of Bobby Chacon came in to consideration. I, like most others, voted against his inclusion in our rather more exclusive version of Canastota’s institution on the grounds that, while he was one of the most thrilling fighters to watch of all time, he wasn’t a truly ‘great’ fighter in the sense that men like the already-inducted Julio Cesar Chavez, Joe Gans and Gene Tunney were.

However, it was also pointed out by one or two that it was a shame to leave out a man who had given fight fans so many incredible memories. And so I thought maybe I’d gather up your thoughts on who, while not necessarily one of the greatest, was the most thrilling and, overall, the best ‘value for money fighter’ to have emerged from these shores. I had about fifteen names in consideration but, for the sake of sanity, have narrowed it down to eight after weighing up all pros and cons. Here are the candidates.

Nigel Benn. The ‘Dark Destroyer’ had a style based more or less solely on hard punching, relentless aggression and the heart of a lion. He was rarely in a bad fight, even if he was on the losing side; his first bout with arch-rival Chris Eubank was a classic of the British ring, as was his tenth round stoppage of Gerald McClellan (arguably the hardest pound for pound puncher in the sport at the time) in 1995. Impressively, he was always dangerous once he’d been hurt, which he showed by knocking out Anthony Logan with a single punch after tottering on the edge of defeat only seconds earlier.

Cornelius Boza-Edwards. Something of a forgotten man in the British ranks, this southpaw was brought over to England by Jack Edwards when he was a boy, and adopted his surname as a mark of appreciation. He was particularly popular Stateside; he lost on his American debut against the great Alexis Arguello, but performed so well in defeat that he earned a shot at Rafael Limon (Arguello’s successor) for the WBC 130 lb title, which he won in a thriller. He defended it in sensational style against the aforementioned Chacon, and after losing his crown failed in a heroic attempt to regain it from that same man in another fight of the year.

Chris Eubank. Something of a controversial pick I’d imagine; between 1991 and 1995, when he reigned as WBO Super-Middleweight champion, Eubank was something of a no-risk fighter. But the beginning and end of his career, rather than that middle section, tell a different story. His defeat of Benn in 1990 was a heroic one, as was his late, late comeback against Michael Watson the following year. His outrageous personality meant that he could still garner interest even if the fight was not a classic, and he finished off with two hard and gruelling battles with Carl Thompson.

Carl Froch. His career may still be progressing, but already Froch has earned his place as one of Britain’s most exciting fighters of all time. His low left hand and rock hard chin guarantees that nearly all of his top-tier bouts will be wars, as was his 2008 bout with Jean Pascal for the vacant WBC 168 lb belt. He retained it in a last-gasp, from the jaws of defeat win against Jermain Taylor on his American debut, lost it in a toe-to-toe war with Mikkel Kessler, but has since given excellent value for money in his two wins over Arthur Abraham and Glen Johnson.

Naseem Hamed. Like Eubank, Hamed’s personality and ring antics played as much a part in his inclusion on this list as his boxing did. But boy oh boy, could he fight when he wanted to. The hardest hitting Featherweight of his era, Hamed provided fight fans with some incredible one-punch knockouts, got up off the deck three times to stop former champion Kevin Kelley, and was the master of selling a fight through trash talking and hype.

Ricky Hatton. The most popular British fighter so far in the twenty-first century, Hatton owes his following to his amiable and ‘one of the lads’ disposition, but also to his thrilling style of fighting which was heavily reliant on being able to take a shot to land one of his own, and a vicious body attack. Out-gamed and out-fought a modern great in Kostya Tszyu on an emotional night in his hometown of Manchester, added a Welterweight title in a gruelling battle against Luis Collazo in 2006 and, with his fight against Floyd Mayweather in 2007, gave British boxing its closest thing to a national event since Bruno faced off against Tyson.

Barry McGuigan. Like Hatton above, McGuigan’s body punching alone was enough to draw crowds. Charismatic and, oddly enough, projected as a symbol of peace for a fragmented and trouble-torn Ireland, he drew massive crowds from both sides of the divide to Belfast’s King’s Hall, won an absolute classic against Featherweight great Eusebio Pedroza in 1985, roared back when he looked to be tiring to stop Bernard Taylor and, even though his 1986 defeat to Stevie Cruz was a major shock, it was still an engaging fight.

Charlie Magri. Had it not been for Magri, the Flyweight division in Britain may not have been here today. There were serious plans to scrap it by the BBBC before Magri emerged, and the division had been largely dormant. Part of Magri’s appeal was his fallibility; he could be knocked out just as easily as he could knock his opponent out. He won and lost a couple of barnstormers on his way to the WBC 112 lb title, but surprisingly lost in his first defence. Still, his heavy punching and colourful personality kept him in the picture before he took a beating off Sot Chitalada, although he did show bravery to last even four rounds.

So, there you have the candidates. Personally, I think I’ll cast my vote with Boza-Edwards if we go purely on what happened in the ring; his wars with Limon, Chacon and (even though it only lasted five rounds) Navarette were all of a stunning quality, and to this day his stamina amazes me. Honourable mentions, too, to Freddie Mills, John Conteh, Terry Downes and Paul Hodkinson.

Anyway, let me know what you think if you’re interested, fellas. Would be good to get your take on it. Cheers.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Empty Re: Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter?

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:24 am

Have gone for Benn, was always more of a Eubank man but Benn was always good to watch, massive puncher but also the heart of a lion. Couple all this with his vulnerabilities and a tendency early in his career to blow himself out seeking a KO and drama was almost always guaranteed in some form or another. However would say if you count fighting tough opposition as part and parcel of being a great value fighter Froch could soon be top of the pile because the run he is on at the minute that shows no sign of getting any easier is pretty incomparable

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter? Empty Re: Who was Britain's greatest ever 'value for money' fighter?

Post by whotobeA Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:30 am

Gone for Naz. Just think despite all the showboating, hype & trashtalk he was one of the most skillful, exciting fighters from these shores. Also had some great fights on his travels & i actually thought he had a chance v MAB even though it turned out not to be. Shame he didn't try a real comeback.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:30 am

Bit before my time but all the reports I have read and the bits I have seen suggest Billy Walker was always good value, not the most gifted of fighters but seemed to always give the crowd something to remember.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:34 am

Johnny Nelson?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:35 am

Might have added Colin Jones to the list of candidates, since the dynamite that he packed in either hand kept most of his fights on some kind of a knife-edge, no matter how far behind in a fight he fell. However of the choices on offer, which are all excellent, it would be Boza first, I'd think.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:52 am

Thanks for the contributions so far, everyone. Some good extra names put forward, too. I considered Colin Jones, captain (as I did about five or six others) but thought that any more than eight choices would simply be a little too much.

Jeff, must confess that I've not really seen enough of Walker to make an accurate assessment of him. I've seen the Cooper fight and one or two other little bits and bobs, though, will have to dig a little deeper and check him out properly.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:54 am

Sure you will have more fun researching Walker than you will researching my other suggestion Chris

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:58 am

Gone for Naz myself, as entertaining as it gets in my book, and therefore great value for money.

Power, showmanship and an unorthodox style will always make for excitement.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 6:58 am

rowley wrote:Sure you will have more fun researching Walker than you will researching my other suggestion Chris

Think whatever research I've done on Nelson (basically, the maligned De Leon and Warring fights, as well as the more bearable Thompson scrap) is more than enough, personally.

Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson. Has anyone got a trade descriptions act number?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:00 am

rowley wrote:Sure you will have more fun researching Walker than you will researching my other suggestion Chris

No doubt at all.

The ' Golden Boy ' personified the swinging sixties and was immensely charismatic. Short of genuine world class, of course, but he did boast a stoppage win over the very good Thad Spencer and rubbed shoulders with Cooper and Mildenberger.

For sheer entertainment, though, I might have been inclined to include Freddie Mills, ( and Kevin Finnegan might be another, ) though their inclusion wouldn't prevent my seeing this question as being a toss up between Boza and Hamed.

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:01 am

Ricky Hatton without a doubt...ppv numbers dont lie

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:03 am

I always loved watching Nigel Benn - it was always exciting. I just couldn't get into watching Hatton. Maybe it was because it was always on Sky and I'd have to go somewhere other than home! Rolling Eyes

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:03 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Ricky Hatton without a doubt...ppv numbers dont lie

They might when a fighter is so strongly identified with a football team such as Manchester City and, therefore, inherits thousands of supporters.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:05 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

They might when a fighter is so strongly identified with a football team such as Manchester City and, therefore, inherits thousands of supporters.

Ricky Hatton nearly always wanted a war look at the fights...His exciting performances got him that kind of following windy.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:07 am

The genius of PBF wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:

Ricky Hatton nearly always wanted a war look at the fights...His exciting performances got him that kind of following windy.

I don't dispute, for a second, that Hatton was hugely entertaining, PBF. However, so were many of the other candidates and I dare say that, had they been so closely affiliated to a huge football club, they would have been able to surpass Hatton's figures.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:09 am

Fair enough shout on Mills, Windy; he made my 'honourable mentions', as did a few others. He was certainly involved in some real tear ups and was an interesting character, too, but I'm not sure how many have seen all that much of him, and thought it would be better to include fighters who have had a bit more exposure so as not to alienate anyone. I might have called that aspect incorrectly though, mind you.

While Hatton has the PPV numbers on his side and is a worthy candidate, I think Windy is right to point out that such numbers aren't always the best indicator of a fighter's 'value for money' rating. In fact, a couple of Hatton's big PPV appearances (Mayweather, Malignaggi) weren't all that exciting.

I'm happy to stick with my original choice of Boza-Edwards. Those fights with Limon and then Chacon were, simply put, absolutely awesome.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:12 am

Ignoring the nationality side of things Edwards has to be a strong candidate along with Eubank and Benn. Hamed brought excitement through his brilliance but the majority of his fights were very one sided and left you waiting for the inevitable knockout to occur whereas with the others you never really knew what was going to happen.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

All the fighters in the poll are great value for money but i've gone with Naz myself, never a dull moment, great at promoting his fights and exciting in the ring.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:13 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

So true!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:49 am

I'd probably go for Naz as his unorthodox style was always a pleasure to watch.
Carl Thompson is possibly worthy of a mention. The Cat was involved in his fair share of highly entertaining bouts.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

Thompson is an excellent shout Benson and a name that totally slipped my mind, between the Eubank, Haye and Rothman fights Carl was indeed in some belters.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 28 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

Surely Bruno should be an option here?

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:00 am

No1Jonesy wrote:Surely Bruno should be an option here?

Touching a nerve there, Jonesy - I reckon a host of people, fifteen years on, will still be wanting their £15 back after his non-performance against Tyson in their second bout!

Bruno, like Hatton, definitely had the huge following, and of course those bouts against Tyson (like Hatton versus Mayweather) were nigh on national events. But in terms of gripping and thrilling fights, or edge of your seat action, I don't think he's in the same league as Boza-Edwards, Benn etc. His vulnerable whiskers meant that you were never sure what was going to happen when he fought, I suppose, but the second Tyson bout was a disaster, the Lewis fight wasn't all that gripping until Lewis snapped out of his haze, the McCall title-winning fight was a tentative affair, and so much of his career consisted of rolling over non-descript opposition.

The Witherspoon fight was fantastic, granted, but on the whole I don't think Bruno was involved in enough wildy exciting brawls to warrant a nomination in this article, popular though he was.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:11 am

I agree chris. Bruno was good no doubt, very heavy handed & strngth to spare for a few rnds, couple that with a big personality out of the ring & he became a household name. That said you cant help but feel dissapointed when watching his big fights and even when he got a strap you knew it wouldn't be for long. It'd be interesting to see how he'd get on these days though?

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

88Chris05 wrote:
No1Jonesy wrote:Surely Bruno should be an option here?

Touching a nerve there, Jonesy - I reckon a host of people, fifteen years on, will still be wanting their £15 back after his non-performance against Tyson in their second bout!

Bruno, like Hatton, definitely had the huge following, and of course those bouts against Tyson (like Hatton versus Mayweather) were nigh on national events. But in terms of gripping and thrilling fights, or edge of your seat action, I don't think he's in the same league as Boza-Edwards, Benn etc. His vulnerable whiskers meant that you were never sure what was going to happen when he fought, I suppose, but the second Tyson bout was a disaster, the Lewis fight wasn't all that gripping until Lewis snapped out of his haze, the McCall title-winning fight was a tentative affair, and so much of his career consisted of rolling over non-descript opposition.

The Witherspoon fight was fantastic, granted, but on the whole I don't think Bruno was involved in enough wildy exciting brawls to warrant a nomination in this article, popular though he was.

I dunno Chris - how often did actually look forward to his fights even post losses?? Regarding the McCall fight i was literally shouting at the tele through out and to hold on when the 12th came!!

I know it's a marmaite subject for Bruno but just for the pure getting into all the hype n build ups n emotions when he was in the fights - boxing wouldnt have been the same without him whilst growin up so for that reason I see him as major value for money for me anyway

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

J.Benson II wrote:I'd probably go for Naz as his unorthodox style was always a pleasure to watch.
Carl Thompson is possibly worthy of a mention. The Cat was involved in his fair share of highly entertaining bouts.

I'll third that. The Cat is my favourite British fighter.

There are two Nigel Benns. The middleweight one was a devestating puncher who was great to watch. The supermiddleweight one's bite wasn't quite so fierce at the weight, and he was involved in quite a few dull fights.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

Interesting way of looking at it, Jonesy, and you make some good points. Thanks for contributing.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Lloyd Honeyghan at times, my favourite was Benn though

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

I've gone with Froch largely because he's hit the world stage around the time I've really consistently been watching boxing, one of the my first big current favourites.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

Bob wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:I'd probably go for Naz as his unorthodox style was always a pleasure to watch.

I'll third that. The Cat is my favourite British fighter.

There are two Nigel Benns. The middleweight one was a devestating puncher who was great to watch. The supermiddleweight one's bite wasn't quite so fierce at the weight, and he was involved in quite a few dull fights.

That was the same guy, he'd just moved up in weight was all.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

Thompson is a great shout....but i'll add another name of a guy who never really made it but always was a lot of fun...

Paul scrap iron Ryan.....

Out of the names on the list...Nigel Benn.,

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

Had to pick Benn, he was the reason I got into boxing and his mentality brought out the best in British boxing. He fought whoever he could, win, lose or draw always showed courage and heart.

Great boxers among a list of other great British boxers on that list.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

He didn't against Collins....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:01 pm

For a guy who came back from what looked to be a certain knockout, to beat McCellan to the point he did... I think I can forgive him for quitting against a strong looking Collins.

Thanks for your input, but Benn was one of the toughest guys about and certainly value for money.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

You obviously didn't pay to get in...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:04 pm

Truss for someone who takes offence to people calling Curry a quitter bit of double standards the way you do it yourself

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

Sorry mate but Benn didn't have a glove mark on him and took the money and ran..

Doctor stopped the Curry fight..

so get your facts right...

Even Collins thought Benn's actions inappropriate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

Just makes you look foolish when you get your knickers in a twist about Curry so for your benefit don't use double standards

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

Not foolish amongst even minded readers of the age of 11 and above that can see the difference between a fighter taking the money and running and a guy with a two inch slit stopped from carrying on by a third party!!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

It's an opinion Truss and many feel the doctor acted on the advice of Curry himself much like in the McCloskey/Khan fight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:30 pm

Yeah Cury whispered in his ear......I forgot just after he said "I love you"

"Many feel".....................

The pits of an argument!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not foolish amongst even minded readers of the age of 11 and above that can see the difference between a fighter taking the money and running and a guy with a two inch slit stopped from carrying on by a third party!!..

I don't know where you get off thinking I'm not even minded or maybe its the fact that I'm clearly not on the same intellect of such a fine gentleman like you. Value for money, Benn fought the best, showed heart... never ducked anyone, he was a warrior and when compared to some fighters now... deserves that recognition.

I suppose you were the ringside Dr who analysed Benn afterwards when he claimed ankle injury. I don't know, but don't ever make the assumption that I'm an idiot child with no knowledge of the sport. I'm all for debate, no need to belittle anyone.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:31 pm

The pits of an argument is anything you don't agree with Truss, remember your opinion isn't gospel, we're all entitled to think what we want without your petty remarks

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Who are the many then.......!!!!!!!

Not Gil Clancy, Tim Ryan, not KO or Ring Magazine..........Boxing illustrated etc.......

Who are the many????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down