The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary

+23
lightsout
monty junior
Davie
bogbrush
Tropicalfruiter
murrayfan
Tom_____
noleisthebest
Positively 4th Street
gallery play
superochog
legendkillar
lydian
barrystar
Tenez
Haddie-nuff
keftedaki
Simple_Analyst
parthi
luciusmann
Chazfazzer
Talatonian
Jeremy_Kyle
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary - Page 3 Empty Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 28 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

I understand the topic has been extensively debated, but it seems useful to me to summarize the reasons that have persuaded many , and me amongst them, to form a non positive opinion about Nadal’s conduct on court.

Here are some discussion points:

1) Nadal’s constant violation of the 20sec rule has the effect of causing recurring delays, of stopping the flow of the game and ultimately irritating his opponents. It’s important to notice that this is a FACT and not an allegation and that, regarding to this point, Nadal is breaching the rules of the game, as the numerous warnings he receives can confirm.

2) Nadal’s numerous medical time outs, often occurring in important matches and important moments have coused irritation in his opponents who in some cases have made complains to the umpire (as Del Potro yesterday). This is also a Fact, and the same behaviour has been widely criticised by media and experts when other players were involved as: Fognini and Djokovic in the past.

3) Nadal has verbally intimidated the umpire when he received a warning for breaching the 20 sec. rule yesterday.

4) On court coaching, for which he has been fined on at least one occasion. This is against the rule also.

5) Keeping opponents waiting before the match (by deliberately spending extra time in the locker room whilst the opponent waits in the corridor - this is despite knowing when the players are scheduled to come out, and, I do believe that the players are given a few minutes advanced warning right before they're expected to come out. Also making his opponent and umpire wait at the net before the coin toss and making his opponent wait after 'time' has been called at the end of the warm up (he usually spends an extra minute serving).

I , on the other hand, do not remember Federer having ever engaged in any of such antics, thus the argument of the Nadal devotees that “we never criticize Federer’s behaviour on court” appears as totally out of place.

Last edited by Jeremy_Kyle on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary - Page 3 Empty Re: Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary

Post by graf_the_greatest Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

Federer is not the best 'sportsman'. He tends to give 'non-complimentary' compliments when he loses matches. The media either seem to miss or gloss over these comments.

One of the more recent examples is when he lost to Melzer and said that Melzer had been shanking points but all his shanky shots 'went in'.

A case of the pot calling the kettle shanky me thinks.

graf_the_greatest

Back to top Go down

Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary - Page 3 Empty Re: Nadal’s conduct: not exemplary

Post by newballs Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:06 am

The simplest way to stop the time wasting would be to fine Nadal each time he receives a violation for it. Make it accumulative for repeat offences (like a red card).

I'm not sure about them injury conspiracy theories though admittedly he's was running around like a man possessed given he supposedly had a sore foot in his previous outing.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:01 am

Bottom line, those that administrate the sport, are the one's who should be doing something about it. If they felt that strongly about it, they would. He is the only person apparently that doesn't get a warning for excessive time taken between the conclusion of one point, and the next point starting.

To my knowledge, no player or group of players, has made any official complaints, OFF THE COURT, which, were they to do so en masse, would have some effect, I am sure.

So, indeed the points there were made at the beginning of this thread are correct and valid, it seems that the "Establishment," are not as worried about it as some fans writing about it.

I don't think ANY of the umpires are intimidated by this, or him; if they were, there would be a meeting of the respective "board," and he would be notified of such.

I also don't think that this "wins" him matches, and it's fairly short sighted to put the burden of his opponents rarely beating him on this, rather than his game, and all the work that goes on behind "it."

I doubt there's a player who hasn't dropped the occasional "fork" on court, in range of both microphones and children, or both. We've seen Federer smash a raquet on court, as has Djokovic in this particular Major. No example of poor sportsmanship excuses any other, and that is not my point. It's that all players sometimes fall short of the perfect behaviour one would ideally like all player to exhibit, on all occasions, when they take the court.

Bottom line, again...if this was such a significant issue for the game, or the proponents thereof, the administrators, umpires, tournament chairperson(s), then something more tangible would be taking place; but it isn't.

For someone who is as successful as Nadal as, and that, at such a young age, he is incredibly humble, focused on his game, his goal, and is achieving a tremendous amount. Also, as a by-note, it's interesting to see that the amount of "time" these things are "given" by other players, is directly proportional to the level of frustration that player is having, trying to beat Nadal.

Tea cup storm....

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:48 am

yplonom, very aptly answered by you. Who were you on 606?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Hi Wow - was yloponom68 on 606. I don't tend to write all that much, or I didn't, due to the incessant bickering and silliness on there. I pick and choose carefully when I engage. I really enjoy, thoughtful, relevant discussion on my favourite sport. Played junior tennis from under 10's through under 18's, usually No2, as I had one rival I just couldn't ever seem to beat.

Have done extensive umpiring, called McEnroe's service line, worked at the then "Lipton" in Miami, Devonshire Park (Ladies warm up in Eastbourne), African Davis cup ties back in mid 90's, and have quite a depth of expereince in both playing tournaments, and umpiring - so don't engage in the "small time" nonsense that was so prevalent in 606, but so far, seems much reduced on this. Hope it stays that way.

Always good to see someone with a deeper knowledge of the sport and it's intricacies, than simply sychophantic favouritism, is all. Looking forward to today's and tomorow's semis!!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3