The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray will beat Nadal

+26
thistle_whistle
noleisthebest
Mark2011
Bright_hsd
Gullfoss
ebar86
naxroy
Tom_____
Meg17
dyrewolfe
Positively 4th Street
GeeMonkee
barrystar
legendkillar
Mad for Chelsea
sirfredperry
super_realist
dummy_half
yloponom68
luciusmann
CaledonianCraig
Josiah Maiestas
Talatonian
Masked Magician
sportslover
wow
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Murray will beat Nadal - Page 2 Empty Murray will beat Nadal

Post by wow Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

first of all heartiest congratulations to mUrray for making third sf in a row. He is the only one to do so in last 4. Murray got beaten twice by Nadal and once by Roddick in past 3 attempts but better late than never, Murray's time has come. He has the game to take to Nadal and knows how to beat him in a slam.

IMO Murray is reaching to peak of his game and playing some wonderful tennis. Murray's forehand has more depth, he can chase more balls and can hit poweful backhands and forehands. The key will be to get lots of first serves in and play Nadal on his back hand side.

Againse Delpo, Nadal did manage to mix it up using the back hand slice. It will be intersting to see if the uses the same tactics or employ something else to disturb Murray's rhythm.

My wish and prediction is Murray in 4.

wow

Back to top Go down

Murray will beat Nadal - Page 2 Empty Re: Murray will beat Nadal

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

legendkillar wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9526934.stm

I find McEnroe's comments interesting laughing

LK, do you agree with this?

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

wow wrote:

Well it is an indication of winning ugly. Can you imagine how many times Murray would have to complain to the umpire? It could have the reverse effect and disrupt Andy's rythym and get the fans on his back. Andy has too much respect for Rafa to pursue that avenue. I agree it could be used as a tactic, but not sure if Andy would though.

If it was me, I would do it.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

legendkillar wrote:
wow wrote:

Well it is an indication of winning ugly. Can you imagine how many times Murray would have to complain to the umpire? It could have the reverse effect and disrupt Andy's rythym and get the fans on his back. Andy has too much respect for Rafa to pursue that avenue. I agree it could be used as a tactic, but not sure if Andy would though.

You have started to sound like Tenez laughing

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

wow wrote:
legendkillar wrote:
wow wrote:

You have started to sound like Tenez laughing

The cheek of it laughing

I would make more of a song and dance about it.

If Murray did it, I would actually laugh. Would take a very ruthless character to do that.

Would you do it?

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

I will do anything to beat Nadal. He is the only player who I do not support. It has to do with this thong pulling and lying on the court antics. Also I always supported Fed so I support elegance than the power.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by ebar86 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

dummy_half wrote:Jubba

Andy has beaten Rafa twice in GS semi finals (AO both times) - OK, one time Rafa withdrew with injury, but he was already well behind before he injured himself and withdrew. The other time, Andy was simply the better player. He is one of the very few players that seems to have a game that gives Rafa problems on a fairly regular basis.

You are right in saying that Andy will have to play consistently to a very high level, and he will have to be the one to win the crucial points - as has been mentioned, the points won in last year's semi final was virtually equal (I think Rafa won 2 or 3 more points in total), and it turned on the handful of break points that Rafa won on Murray's serve and defended on his own. Turn those few points round and the result could be very different.

im afraid u get 2 facts, wrong,,nadal lost in AO QF last year and USO SF in 2008

ebar86

Back to top Go down

Post by Gullfoss Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:42 pm

My pick : Murray will beat Nadal this time either in 4 or 5 sets.

Gullfoss

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

Self inflicted wedgies can be painful if not treated laughing

But think about what would happen if you did.

Crowd booing, Uncle Toni staring daggers, Rafa looking upset. I think it would be fun to see the ugly side once in a while.

I like watching Rafa, I don't support the guy. I admit I supported Federer in the early years, when Murray came along I supported him because of my sense of national pride.

I like watching all players. I think when watching Roger I felt I was always witnessing something special. I get that feeling when watching Rafa too, but not in the same way I did with Roger if that makes sense.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Murray will beat Nadal - Page 2 Empty Murray will beat Nadal

Post by Bright_hsd Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

legendkillar wrote:Self inflicted wedgies can be painful if not treated laughing

But think about what would happen if you did.

Crowd booing, Uncle Toni staring daggers, Rafa looking upset. I think it would be fun to see the ugly side once in a while.

I like watching Rafa, I don't support the guy. I admit I supported Federer in the early years, when Murray came along I supported him because of my sense of national pride.

I like watching all players. I think when watching Roger I felt I was always witnessing something special. I get that feeling when watching Rafa too, but not in the same way I did with Roger if that makes sense.

It madoes make sense what you are saying LK. I think Fed and Rafa are players of different style. I definitely feel Fed' style is more easy on the eye, although both are great champions.

As far as Andy is concerned, I feel he need not resort to any tactics as McEnroe has suggested. In any case both players have too much respect for each other like you mentioned earlier and there is no guarantee that such a tactic will not backfire and upset Andy's rhytm. However, he will have to be at his absolute best to beat Rafa, and Rafa himself is not playing at his best.

Bright_hsd

Back to top Go down

Post by ebar86 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

if murray playing his best n nadal playing his best - nadal will win in tight sets
if murray playing his best n nadal playing average - murray has a chance
if murray playing average n nadal playing average - nadal will sneak a win
if murray playing average n nadal playing his best - nadal will destroy murray

whteva it is,,its nadal's game to lose

ebar86

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:14 pm

Nadal is massive favourite tomorrow but Murray has a small chance of winning tomorrow. The key will be how he handles the massive pressure tomorrow.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by luciusmann Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:15 pm

It'll be interesting, if Murray goes ahead in the score, who thinks there'll be a MTO?! I wonder if you can get a bet on that...

luciusmann

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

luciusmann wrote:It'll be interesting, if Murray goes ahead in the score, who thinks there'll be a MTO?! I wonder if you can get a bet on that...

Naughty naughty!

After Andys hip niggle against Lopez he may need one, but hopefully neither will require one.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

As a cold-headed observer, you'd have to take Nadal as a considerable favourite.
That guy does not muck about.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by thistle_whistle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

As a Scotsman who has watched my countrymen strive in sports over the last 37 years its obvious what the next few days hold for us.... Murray will beat Nadal and to almost guarantee the championship, Tsonga will take Djokovic in a strength sapping 5 sets. The whole of Britain will spend 48 hours going mental and planning the biggest party known to man....... and then Andy will lose.

Its happened so many times before... Cry

thistle_whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:41 pm

Loving the optimism Thistle OK Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:43 pm

thistle_whistle wrote:As a Scotsman who has watched my countrymen strive in sports over the last 37 years its obvious what the next few days hold for us.... Murray will beat Nadal and to almost guarantee the championship, Tsonga will take Djokovic in a strength sapping 5 sets. The whole of Britain will spend 48 hours going mental and planning the biggest party known to man....... and then Andy will lose.

Its happened so many times before... Cry

Oh ye of little faith Laugh

Hope you are wrong by the way.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:50 pm

It was very eloquently put though.

"eloquently" "optimism"?
Its 10.50pm and im coming out with words like that? What's happened to me?

Back to top Go down

Post by thistle_whistle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

In the words of Kevin Keegan... " I would love it, I would really love it" if Murray did manage it.

Winning a slam would release so much pressure from Murray's game he would go on to so much more.

thistle_whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:57 pm

Its a huge match tomorrow. He's up second on centre court so I don't know how that works for the mindset.

Would you prefer to be up first and get on with the match, or would you prefer more time to prepare?

If it was me, id prefer to just get out there and do the business. (gutted im at work though, so im counting on you guys to do a better job than the bbc live text with the updates)

Back to top Go down

Post by thistle_whistle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm

If Djokovic wins then going second makes no difference, but if they know Tsonga is facing them in the final then surely they will both feel that their match decides who will be champion.

Those sort of nerves would affect Murray more the Nadal I think.

thistle_whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm

thistle_whistle wrote:If Djokovic wins then going second makes no difference, but if they know Tsonga is facing them in the final then surely they will both feel that their match decides who will be champion.

Those sort of nerves would affect Murray more the Nadal I think.

That's bit harsh on Tsonga. He took out the favourite from the tournament. why such disrespect towards him?
At present all 4 have equal chance to win the tournament.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by thistle_whistle Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:40 pm

I think Tsonga will win if he makes the final, but if you play Barcelona in the semis and know you only have Porto in the final you would fancy your chances if you get through.

As soon as Roddick was beaten I assumed Murray would make the semi-final.

If Murray does beat Nadal and faces Tsonga in the final, just wait and see how many pundits will be wondering if the Queen will be at the final to anoint Murray as champion.

An interesting point is how Scotland could react to a Murray victory.

Many moons ago, when I studied politics at Glasgow University, we were lectured on the fact that a major contributing reason to the defeat of the Independence Referendum in 1979, was our football teams dismal showing in the 1978 world cup, when Ally's Tartan Army, much to our amazement, failed to win the trophy!

If Murray wins the Championship, can we expect the SNP to nationalize North Sea oil and establish Scotland as the McDubai of Europe?

Will Irn Bru replace Robinson's Barley Water at the home of tennis?

I can't wait but I suspect that more San Miguel will be drunk this Sunday than McEwans Export...

thistle_whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropicalfruiter Fri 01 Jul 2011, 1:37 am

sportslover wrote:
luciusmann wrote:It'll be interesting, if Murray goes ahead in the score, who thinks there'll be a MTO?! I wonder if you can get a bet on that...

Naughty naughty!

After Andys hip niggle against Lopez he may need one, but hopefully neither will require one.

'required'. Are you serious? Such is the fascinating game of chess that is the mens game. Someone will need a back-rub or a bandage tightened. I, for one, will be watching with fascination and will run a sweepstake with my pals on this very question. It's all about who wins, whatever the cost. May he who bosses the rhythm of the match (and therefore controls the mental space) most effectively take the laurels.

Step fwd Rafa. Murray is 'brit' remember, he is too nice. I would just like Murray to play it nasty just once. Then he would never have to live with the 'what if...'. Murray´s best chance of winning is to whip up total hysteria on CC.

John MacEnroe = right on the money.

Tropicalfruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:06 am

Murray can win but I doubt he will. What he can do however is help the other finalist by making Nadal run for 4 or 5 sets.

4 sets v Murray are not as easy as 4 sets v Mardy....let alone 5 sets. They can leave physical damage.

This is why this first set is so crucial. This is why he took a MTO v Delpo, this is also why Nadal got really injured in the AO v Ferrer cause he knew he had to win that first set v David. and played the first few points of the match like it was the most important match of his life....and paid the price.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:17 am

Do you really think that Rafa would do all these things just to win? I cannot believe that one person could bring out so much hatred in another.

I can only assume that because Rafa has beaten Roger on numerous occassions, you don't like it because of his style of Tennis, but if it really does make you feel like this, why on earth do you bother to watch?

You do like to spark debate on here, but your constant sniping of Rafa does colour any other opinions you express, which is sad but I'm sure you can live with it.

Anyhow whatever happens today, I'm hoping for a good match, and if Rafa or Andy need to take their MTO's, then I hope they do....it's not your problem and it doesn't matter how much you snipe about it, nowt's going to change, so get over it.

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:23 am

Is McEnroe a bloody idiot too? What does that make you?

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:34 am

Nope...McEnroe isn't a bloody idiot, and I would like to hear his opinion, If he thinks Rafa is cheating, then I still think he's wrong, but that's an opinion of a man who has close connections with the game.

I don't make myself out to be an expert...I've watched this game for over 40 years now and I've loved it all that time.....I just think your dislike of Rafa is over the top and colours your rational opinions of the rest of the game.

Last edited by Enforcer on Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed personal attack)

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Fri 01 Jul 2011, 8:39 am

McEnroe tends to talk out of his backside, and he has again on this occasion.

Becker played just as slow as Nadal and Del Potro, but nobody passed comment on it at the time. If the other players don't care, why the hell should anyone else?

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:16 am

michael_o wrote:McEnroe tends to talk out of his backside, and he has again on this occasion.

Becker played just as slow as Nadal and Del Potro, but nobody passed comment on it at the time. If the other players don't care, why the hell should anyone else?

Journalists almost never criticise a successful player who has millions of fans...even if there is millions of tennis fans who also dislike him/her.

If anything it's good to have McEnroe speaking his mind cause all professionals players sees it his way too.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

McEnroe isn't making accusations of cheating. He is clever in the sense that he thinks that a way to beat Rafa is to try and get to him mentally by asking the umpire to think about Rafa in between serving. He didn't mention MTO, so I have no idea how that was mentioned.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

There is no smoke without the fire. Nadal has been wasting time all his playing career and that's why neutrals can see it.

I was watching the clips from last year semi and Andy did have set points in the second set but Nadal managed to save them and won the set.

Andy needs to be mentally stronger and he will surely win this match. One thing is sure that we are in for a fascinating contest.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2