The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury

4 posters

Go down

Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury Empty Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury

Post by lsabre Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Steph Twell, as it is well known by now, has suffered a serious ankle injury while racing over cross-country in Belgium earlier today. Some better news since could be that there has been no bone exposed according to her coach Mick Woods's statements:

"No bone was exposed, contrary to other reports. There are no issues with the fibula, but there is some issue with the ankle bone. She will have an MRI scan on Monday."

"There's no timeframe for recovery, but I can't imagine it will heal quickly. And we don't know if there any complications. It will need serious investigation. She's very down and very depressed."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/9396526.stm

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury Empty Re: Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury

Post by lsabre Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 pm

As I've just picked up on the Twitter, Steph Twell's injury was NOT an open fracture. That could make a hell of difference and even see her make the outdoor season turning on the type and placement of the fracture - meaning good news!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury Empty Re: Steph Twell sustains serious ankle injury

Post by lsabre Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

UKA confirms that Steph Twell's injury was not an open fracture and that the injury was reset at hospital, her foot in plaster.

http://www.uka.org.uk/media/news/february-2011/14-02-11-twell/

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 am

Should shorten her recovery time considerably, fingers crossed she can return and be at the standard she was before it happened

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 am

Such a shame. Saw her run when I was at BUCs x-country a few years ago (2009?), amazing talent. Here's hoping it's a swift recovery, as it's a nasty injury!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Legend Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Apparently she was miles ahead of anyone else in the race with just 600m to go when the accident occurred. Despite hearing the ankle crack she attempted to get back up and finish the race, but immediately fell back to the ground. She is a great prospect for the future of British athletics and she will probably want to return for the world championships in August. Personally I don't think she will make it to the championships, but if she does it really will be pushing it thumbsup
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 pm

The injury may not be as serious as originally appeared to be and the encouraging news was that it wasn't an open fracture, which would have most likely taken a long time to heal - and even turn career threatening in certain cases. Depending on the extent and type of the injury that now centres around the talus in her foot, she could even make her competitive comeback as early as July. But before further statement comes out of the UKA medical staff on the matter, nothing can be said over that.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Steph Twell is definitely going to miss the entire summer season as doctors have confirmed that she broke her right ankle in three places, following an MRI scan on her return to Britain, and is due to undergo operation in London late this week.

Mick Woods, her coach, said there is no chance of her racing at the World Champs in Daegu in August and the focus now would be on recovering in time for next year's London Olympics, even if she may be back running in summer.

Unfortunately, the injury has some complications and it’s going to be a long haul. I’m not going to put a time limit on it but there is no doubt that she won’t be racing this summer. There will definitely be no World Championships for her.

She may be up and running in the summer but there is no way she will be able to race. There just wouldn’t be any point trying to rush her back. The main thing is to be cautious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/8326465/Stephanie-Twell-to-miss-the-entire-summer-season-after-breaking-her-ankle-in-three-places.html

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:10 am

Actually, Kermit, since you are registered on this board as I've seen, your post on BBC 606 concerning the issue of Steph Twell's injury is way off the mark. If you read more carefully, which seems to rarely happen over my posts, it clearly says "not competitively or even interval sessions" - meaning I would expect her back on easy steady runs, most preferably on grass courses and particularly golf ones!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 am

12 questions set to Steph Twell in view of London 2012:

http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Athletics/1644/12_questions_for_2012_Steph_Twell__1500_Metres.aspx

By the way, I've picked up around that Steph could be making faster recovery progress than initially anticipated from her freak injury this winter, for what that rumour is worth at least.

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down