The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is women's tennis boring?

+11
sportslover
sirfredperry
socal1976
Mark2011
newballs
Simple_Analyst
polished_man
Chazfazzer
legendkillar
Josiah Maiestas
wow
15 posters

Go down

Is women's tennis boring?  Empty Is women's tennis boring?

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

As we can see there is hardly any discussion going on Women's tennis.

Why there is so much shrieking? The last decent players in Women's tennis were 2 Belgians and since then a great void has been created. There have been unworthy no. 1 tennis players- Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina and current no. 1 Wozniacki.

Players are struggling to win more than one slam.

What do you think is wrong with the WTA circuit?

wow

Back to top Go down

Is women's tennis boring?  Empty Re: Is women's tennis boring?

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

wow wrote:What do you think is wrong with the WTA circuit?

One dimensional players, ball bashers, no real skill since Henin left the game.

And yes, screechers like Sharapova and Azarenka ruining the spectatorship. Wink
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:04 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:
wow wrote:What do you think is wrong with the WTA circuit?

One dimensional players, ball bashers, no real skill since Henin left the game.

And yes, screechers like Sharapova and Azarenka ruining the spectatorship. Wink

I quite liked Azarenka (lookwise) Smile

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

Also it didn't help that Federer completely elevated the Men's game, and made it look a million times better than it was before (style wise) so when you look at it like that, the Women's game is a huge after-thought.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

Sharapova is too manly these days.. not like she was in 2004-08 Sad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

I think the womens game struggles in terms that is doesn't enjoy the same TV coverage as the mens, also past number 1 ranked players that hold no claim to a Slam championship. The last 5 years it has struggled with retirements and players not playing a full schedule. It's a shame it is in the state it's in.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:10 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Sharapova is too manly these days.. not like she was in 2004-08 Sad

She was unbearable to watch, I was relieved when they switched to Broady vs Robin Kern. Both lads were playing really well.

Finally English will have someone of their own to cheer Very Happy

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

legendkillar wrote:I think the womens game struggles in terms that is doesn't enjoy the same TV coverage as the mens, also past number 1 ranked players that hold no claim to a Slam championship. The last 5 years it has struggled with retirements and players not playing a full schedule. It's a shame it is in the state it's in.

Too much baseline and power hitting, to be fair I think Kvitova is still better than the run of the mill product.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

It's done well to get as much spectators as it has, look at Womens football/rugby/basketball compared to the Mens!

It's hard to take the Womens game serious when you compare it to the Mens.

Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Women's tennis, while of a lower standard than the men's, is still of very high quality. I watched Lisicky vs Doi live a few days ago and they were hitting the ball very nicely; Lisicki even threw in a few dropshots/slices etc for variety, and was hitting her serve with a decent amount of power. Doi was a bit lacking in the serve department, which is what ultimately lost her the match. An interesting match would be a decent boy's player vs one of the top women; I have a feeling the boy would probably win, just because they have a much bigger serve (even some of the boy's matches I saw, the serves were enormous). It would be pretty close though.

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:29 pm

Chazfazzer wrote:Women's tennis, while of a lower standard than the men's, is still of very high quality. I watched Lisicky vs Doi a few days ago and they were hitting the ball very nicely; Lisicki even threw in a few dropshots/slices etc for variety, and was hitting her serve with a decent amount of power. Doi was a bit lacking in the serve department, which is what ultimately lost her the match. An interesting match would be a decent boy's player vs one of the top women; I have a feeling the boy would probably win, just because they have a much bigger serve (even some of the boy's matches I saw, the serves were enormous). It would be pretty close though.

I bet that there were no unnecessary yelling going on in that match!

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by polished_man Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:32 pm

wow wrote:As we can see there is hardly any discussion going on Women's tennis.

That's because you didn't notice my Bartoli watch thread.

Feel free to contribute to make it a real smash.

https://www.606v2.com/t7957-bartoli-watch-i-got-nervous-and-kicked-my-dad-off-court
polished_man
polished_man

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

polished_man wrote:
wow wrote:As we can see there is hardly any discussion going on Women's tennis.

That's because you didn't notice my Bartoli watch thread.

Feel free to contribute to make it a real smash.

https://www.606v2.com/t7957-bartoli-watch-i-got-nervous-and-kicked-my-dad-off-court

I have read it but I didn't contribute. Sad

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Simple_Analyst Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

Not always. They do have some great matches at times.

Simple_Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 30 Jun 2011, 8:40 pm

wow have to agree with the no.1 debacle. Basically it's embarrassing to have no. 1 players who get that status by playing in every two cent tournament going then fall apart when real challengers turn up to the major events.

I don't understand why so little debate though in another sense. Lisicki vs. Li, Date Krumm vs. V. Williams, Bartoli vs. Lisicki to name but three were all really good matches.

For the sake of the woman's game let's therefore hope that Sharapova remembers how to serve and Kvitova doesn't suffer stage fright.The ladies need a real no. 1 and whilst I'm not a Sharapova fan let's hope one of these two goes on to be a real no.1 with at least one slam title to their name.

Finally at least these two can't be called one dimensional (several of the former no. 1s could though but happily all departed at an earlier stage to go and play in another meaningless event).

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark2011 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:16 pm

I think what put's a lot of people of watching Women's Tennis is the antics by the Williams sisters and Sharaova who are constantly screaming like they been shot.

Mark2011

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 01 Jul 2011, 5:30 am

The women's tour is extremely dull, its not even the level of play that makes it dull for me although it is way beneath the men's tour but that is not something that can be changed. What makes the WTA dull is that the players themselves don't seem to take the tour seriously. Most of the best players retire, then comeback, or never play a full schedule to begin with. At least Sharapova for all her extracurricular activities plays a somewhat full schedule most years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

Date/K v Williams - particularly the first set - was the best women's tennis I've seen for years. This was because you had light and shade, some volleying and court craft.
But let's face it, there aint much subtlety in the women's game and there aint an awful lot of thinking going on out there. How else to explain Bartoli jumping up and down like a demented top for two and a half hours without realising that it was wearing her out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

Without being chauvinistic! how can they justify equal prize money when their following is way down in spectator numbers and a lot of their matches (talking Slams here) can be over in two sets in under an hour! Whistle

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by sportykeppy-1 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

I believe that the reason why the women's is so boring is that most of the players are too obsessed with "modelling" which get to their heads as soon as they win a little tournament. The reality is, they are too "butch" to be models and are too weak to play properly.

I really do not see the fuss about Sharapova and that Ivanovic as being "beautiful". They are way over-rated. Most of them do not have a good figure, with the exception of Jelena Dokic, who is relatively humble and pretty.

They should just forget about their images and [PLAY] THE GAME!! Also, what is the point in them playing the best of three sets in a slam and getting the same pay as the men who have to play the best of five?

sportykeppy-1

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:41 pm

I think the women's game is heading upwards. Shrieking seems to be on the way out and there are some exciting young players coming through. I thought Kvitova was brilliant today.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

sportykeepy I personally get tired of hearing how beautiful Sharapova is.

I happen to watch to see who the best player is and today it was Kvitova. If I wanted a bikini competition I'd buy a lad's mag.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

droogle wrote:I think the women's game is heading upwards. Shrieking seems to be on the way out and there are some exciting young players coming through. I thought Kvitova was brilliant today.

i second this.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:58 pm

"An interesting match would be a decent boy's player vs one of the top women; I have a feeling the boy would probably win, just because they have a much bigger serve (even some of the boy's matches I saw, the serves were enormous). It would be pretty close though"

That really depends on if the boy in question can keep his mind fully focused on the tennis match rather than on trying to ogle his female opponent, who could happen to be one of the nicer looking women in the women's game like the very fit Bulgarian Tsvetnana Pironkova or Serbia's Ana Ivanovic or even the Germany's Sabine Lisicki.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm

I would love to play against Azarenka Very Happy

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:11 pm

wow wrote:I would love to play against Azarenka Very Happy

She isn't actually all that nice as what the ultra fit looking Tsvetnana Pironkova is.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 03 Jul 2011, 3:28 am

The women 'shriekers' are being winnowed out. There are men grunters on the ATP side too, hence that specific reason for disliking the game is unfair more than anything else.

There are many good women players around today.

Current players like Li Na, Dokic, Stosur, Pavlyuchenkova, Hantuchova, Wickmayer, Peng, Cibulkova (WTA Ferrer, if you will), Safarova, Jarmila G, Dulko, Petkovic, Dulgheru, Kirilenko,... It is a long list of players. (I am pretty sure I have forgotten Schiavone, Kuznetsova, Clijsters,... Wink )

Carol Garcia, Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys, Heather Watson, Laura Robson, to name a few of the younger players. The W and FO Girls Singles is a very nice list.

To compare Mens and Womens game in terms of power and serving is not a good comparison and a bit unfair. Lisicki can and does serve at 124 mph occasionally.

BTW, Na-Lisicki was a good match.

thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down