The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frilford Heath - blue course

+2
Doon the Water
tarka
6 posters

Go down

Frilford Heath - blue course Empty Frilford Heath - blue course

Post by tarka Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

I've got another wholesaler golf day on 12th July at Frilford Health blue couse, oxon

Anybody played it?
Is it good?
Is it tough?
Any strategies

N.B. it is 7/8 handicap allowance instead of 3/4. This means instead of 17 shots I will get 19 on my handicap of 22

tarka

Back to top Go down

Frilford Heath - blue course Empty Re: Frilford Heath - blue course

Post by Doon the Water Sat 02 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Played the 'best' course years ago when there was only two courses.
Cracking course but very snobby members/staff who looked on society golfers as something you would scrape off your shoe. Has not changed recently I have been told.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

That's ok doon, I am a bit posh myself Wink

I think that's what's wrong with golf in my opinion, I'm all for tradition but I didn't join my local club and joined one 12 miles away due to their snooty attitude. That club needs members and if I was treated a bit better I would have paid my subs. That's not to say I don't appreciate the traditions and dress smartly etc. Celtic manor last week had it down to a t, classy venue but laid back staff, st mellion too at the weekend, bit snooty but the starter was a brilliant boy, great craic

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:02 pm

I've played the Red and the Green but not the Blue. Condition wise they were both great so wouldn't expect the Blue to be any different. The whole area is an excellent piece of land for golf courses so I'm guessing that it should be a very nice course.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:09 pm

Playing st mellion every week of the summer for free. A friend of a friend has corporate membership and is desperate for anyone to play so he can take advantage of his bosses membership. Felt bad at abusing his generosity so gave him a bottle of aftershave that had been gathering dust in my pharmacy. Said to my mate that if I sling him a bottle of poof juice we will be a banker for getting invited on a weekly basis. Best bottle of joop I ever bought

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

The Blue is a recent addition at Frilford.

It's good, but not as enjoyable as the older two courses. It's longer, with undulating fairways. I can't really remember much else - there's a monster par 5 near the end I recall.

I've never found Frilford overly snooty. We play a friendly against them every year and there's always been a nice welcome at the away games.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 04 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Played the back 9 of the Blue and the Red 18 in March. Have to admit I was amazed with the quality of the greens fast, true and in tremendous condition.

Unfortunately I'd concur on the snootiness as well though, they DO look down their noses at societies. The day i had there was a pros day out from my club (being a cooncil course they really really looked down their noses at us!!). It's an attitude I detest with a passion so I'd be unlikely to return anytime soon. There's just no need for that sort of attitude in this day and age.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

looking forward to the day out, looking for somewhere to stay night before (cheap) and possibly night after if anyone is local and free on the wednesday to have a game some place on wednesday am, short notice but if anyone is at a loose end...

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by mentalrhino Mon 04 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

First couple of par fours are tight off the tee, mid irons at best. The third is a par three and from there on, you can pretty much open your shoulders. Down wind the fifth is driveable. Beware the par three, the 13th, through the trees on the back nine, plays longer than it appears.
Was a member there for a few years and there are a few older members that are snobbish. Used to have a men only bar!. Now play at a course near Highworth and they have just as mant snobbish types, seemingly newer members though.
Hope you have a good day.

mentalrhino

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Mon 04 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Cheers mentalrhino. Will print off your post as a kind of caddy report

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Wed 13 Jul 2011, 4:57 pm

Came 3rd out of 80 players, 34 pts on countback. First 4 go to royal lytham st annes on 6-7sept, can't wait! Cheers mentalrhino for your help, certainly helper on the first two holes got a pair of 2pointers to set me on my way. Over the moon

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down