The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ?

+6
CaledonianCraig
lydian
Wooffie
Tenez
legendkillar
erictheblueuk
10 posters

Go down

Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ? Empty Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ?

Post by erictheblueuk Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:54 am

If you've been a follower of tennis for the past few years, you must reacall the likes of Safina, Jankovic and now Wozniacki being flamed for being world No1 and not winning a slam.

Won't it be just as bad to be the current holder of 3 of the 4 slams, and yet be ranked No2 ?

Last edited by erictheblueuk on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I spelt the WTA No1's name wrong.)
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ? Empty Re: Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ?

Post by legendkillar Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:08 am

I think anyone saying Nadal winning hampers the credibility of the sport is a bit of poor statement if it is believed by anyone. This is a guy that has won 10 Slams, Golden Career Slam. Djokovic has won 2 Slams and had an amazing streak. Both players whom ever wins will be fitting champions.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ? Empty Re: Has Novak Got To Win For the Credibilty of the Sport ?

Post by Tenez Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:16 am

legendkillar wrote:I think anyone saying Nadal winning hampers the credibility of the sport is a bit of poor statement if it is believed by anyone. This is a guy that has won 10 Slams, Golden Career Slam. Djokovic has won 2 Slams and had an amazing streak. Both players whom ever wins will be fitting champions.
....And, I will add, someone who has beaten the former number 1 4 times on the trott, including on his best surface, at his home tournament!

TOday Novak is allowed a slip up. It's going to be down to a point there and then....unless Novak hits form. Then it's one way traffic!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:23 am

Now maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but I think there's been a bit of mi-interpretation of the topic. I think what Eric is saying is that whilst its been deemed a bit of a farce in the women's game that a number of No. 1s have got there when they've not even won a Slam then its also ludicrous for a man holding 3 of the 4 Slams to be ranked at No. 2.

But its the nature of the ranking system and what then is the fairer way?
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 am

It depends on whether you think slams are the be all and end all of tennis.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:46 am

The credibility of the sport is not at threat whoever wins today. If it is Rafael Nadal which I think it will be it will be his eleventh slam and will continue to hunt down Federer's record. If it is to be Djokovic it will be equally merited for the new world No.1 and will continue the amazing year he has had.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 am

they are equal on slams as far as this year goes, if previous years have been taken into account then Fed should still be the no. 1.

Novak is a worthy champion, grass not being his favourite surface even if he does not win this one, he is the new no. 1, no matter what some nadal fans think.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:49 am

Novak 47-1 currently. Could be 48-1 after W. He deserves the #1 and has worked hard for it.

Holding slams is just one aspect of being #1, as Woznicaki has shown. Should Kvitova become the number 1 now? Erm

Serena, holder of two slams prior to Saturday is ranked WTA #25.

Eric.. I detect shades of WUMmery. Whistle

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 am

laverfan wrote:Novak 47-1 currently. Could be 48-1 after W. He deserves the #1 and has worked hard for it.

Holding slams is just one aspect of being #1, as Woznicaki has shown. Should Kvitova become the number 1 now? Erm

Serena, holder of two slams prior to Saturday is ranked WTA #25.

Eric.. I detect shades of WUMmery. Whistle

And the credibility of his posts.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 am

Whichever competitor wins the 2011 Championships, there is no problem with the rankings. What Djokovic has done this season is simply phenomenal.

Even if Nadal wins this, he will be the Number 2 player in the World, "according to the official rankings."

That said, most people in terms of those who play the game professionally, administrate the sport of tennis, would affirm that Nadal is the BEST player in the world - absolute.

It is an interesting anomaly between the two sexes that we have a women's world No 1, whose performances in the Majors is rather lacking; and in the Men's, potentially a reigning champion of 3 of the 4 Majors, who has ALSO reached the finals in ALL of his tournaments in 2011, except for Queen's Club, as No 2.

I don't think that Djokovic is undeserving of the No 1 ranking at all, but it does seem rather strange; still, it is the work of a computer, programmed with the operational requirements, it has.

I am not sure of the numbers, but I imagine had Nadal won one of the four finals that he lost this year, it might have been enough to keep the No 1 ranking.

With all that said, Nadal would be much happier to end this match, as a 3 time Championship winner, World ranked No 2; than end it as World ranked No 1, but the Runner-up.

Majors may not be the ultimate yardstick, or only measure within a year of greatness, but rest assured they are absolute in terms of the bigger picture of the game.

I don't begrude Djokovic's No 1 ranking but agree with McEnroe that, whomever wins this match, is the BEST player currently in the game.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:05 am

Nadal is playing beautifully now with a lot of depth on his shots

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:16 am

How many let court winners has nadal had, on break point of all things! That's his 4th net court I have seen and he has won every point, damn it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:51 am

wimby 11 - nole, that shuts them up all!

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:59 am

The best player is the #1, unlike the woman's game. This is the ATP and you don't get those ranking points for free.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down