The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will we finally see some respect for Wlad?

+30
Scottrf
hogey
The genius of PBF
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
Day V Lately
armchairwarrior
Jimmy Stuart
oxring
compelling and rich
huw
TRUSSMAN66
Dass
Strongback
eddyfightfan
lightsout
Union Cane
Valero's Conscience
Seanusarrilius
Imperial Ghosty
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Bluto1978
88Chris05
manos de piedra
BALTIMORA
Mind the windows Tino.
John Bloody Wayne
SugarRayBray
Fists of Fury
Rowley
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Will we finally see some respect for Wlad? - Page 3 Empty Will we finally see some respect for Wlad?

Post by Rowley Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:00 am

First topic message reminder :

First off the bat apologies for posting another article about the weekend's fight, but I don't think this subject has been covered before but if it has feel free to merge this. However have been reading the reactions to the fight and whilst there is an understandable negativity towards Haye's performance, few if any people have gone the next step and actually giving Wlad some credit, which seems something of a theme throughout his career.

Now, don't get me wrong am not arguing he is an all time great or is a guy I would go out of my way to watch but the guy is seven years unbeaten and in Haye has fought and beat, at a canter I might add a guy who was allegedly the biggest challenge out there and who bought gifts Wlad had not encountered in an age and would potentially see an end to his reign, surely thye fact that this not only didn't happen speaks well of Wlad's performance but alas it appears it is all down to what Haye didn't do rather than what Wlad did. Got to be honest does seem a little harsh to me because watching Saturday night I was impressed by how well disciplined, drilled and conditioned Wlad was as he racked up yet another defence by barely losing a round.

Does anyone think it is about time we started to show Wlad a little more respect as for me it is high time we seperated an assessment of hwo good he is to watch from how good he is because they are not the same thing and on the latter he is IMO perhaps a little better than we give him credit for.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Will we finally see some respect for Wlad? - Page 3 Empty Re: Will we finally see some respect for Wlad?

Post by hogey Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:24 pm

If Both Tucker and Witherspoon are below him in the all time rankings list, its much more because they were not lucky enough to fight in an era totally deviod of competition rather than for their fighting ability. If you look into the names on Wlad's record of rather than stat's its pretty average.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Will we finally see some respect for Wlad? - Page 3 Empty Re: Will we finally see some respect for Wlad?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:27 pm

Then again Witherspoon and Tuckers records are pretty average too

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:40 pm

They had plenty of dross i agree but for Witherspoon i would still put his opposition with the likes Holmes, Snipes, Bonecrusher Smith, Tubbs, Page and Bruno well above anything on Wlads.
Tucker has Norris, Douglas, Lewis, Tyson, McCall and even Seldon who were also better than any of Wlad's opponents.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Most of which were losses it should be remembered

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Yes he was awful against Page and Holmes beat him on a close and at the time disputed decision also a win and a loss against Smith and has wins over the rest.
Tuckers went the distance in losing with 2 greats in Tyson and Lewis and beat the rest but in all honesty i doubt Wlad would last 5 rounds with either Tyson or Lewis so i see that as a plus on his record.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:00 pm

You can't rate those two higher based on the fact they lost to the best fighters they faced, were awfully inconsistent and generally didn't achieve much. Wlad may lose to Tyson or Lewis within 5 rounds but that's merely opinion rather than something to base his standing upon

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Think the answer to the question of the thread is a categorical "no" if we Thomas, Tucker, Witherspoon, Douglas and so on being rated as better.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Witherspoon held the title twice and came within a whisker of beating all time great Larry Holmes and taking losses into account still beat better men than Wlad ever has in Bruno, Tubbs, Snipes and Smith, also Tucker has wins over McCall, Douglas Norris and Seldon again these compare well against Wlads best win which was against a chinny Crusierweight. To be honest though neither of the above fighters could be called great by any stretch of the imagination and they are only mentioned to show how low i rate Wlad and will continue to unless he manages to beat a decent fighter or 2 before he retires.
Lets be fair he might hold his title for another 5 years looking at the opposition and even then he would have been only the second best fighter of his era after his brother.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:19 pm

A chinny Cruiserweight who took Wlads best right hands?

Bruno and possibly Tubbs are better fighters than the current lot but Snipes, Smith, McCall, Norris and Seldon are all decidedly average

Bit of objectivity wouldn't go a miss sometimes

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pekchenko Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 pm

I think the problem is, as Wlads losses were early in his career, he doesn't get the judged the same as those who rack up losses at the end of their career, even though his style was entirely different to what it is now he is with Steward. I personally he deserves a lot of credit and certainly far more than he receives on these boards. Some of the names being thrown around as guys to rank above him are farsical!!

I've noticed Dave667 is staying quiet this week, i've personally not bothered commenting on here for a while as it just became the same argument over and over and read all Dave667's one eyed arguments he was having 3 years ago. It would be nice for him to come on and hold his hands up. I seem to remember me and Manos explaining that all of Klitshko's last 5 or 6 opponents were a step up from anything Haye had faced let alone Wlad. My personal view on the whole thing is that Haye recognised the amount of money to be made by hyping up the fight and selected the easiest way to maximum revenue. Had he fought any of the Chagaev's and Povetkins of this world then it could have risked the biggest payday of his career. After round 2, he never looked like winning the fight and was content throw the odd big punch in hope of a KO and was probably content to see the 12 rounds with a large wad of cash in his pocket

Pekchenko

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:29 pm

Pekchenko wrote:I think the problem is, as Wlads losses were early in his career, he doesn't get the judged the same as those who rack up losses at the end of their career, even though his style was entirely different to what it is now he is with Steward. I personally he deserves a lot of credit and certainly far more than he receives on these boards. Some of the names being thrown around as guys to rank above him are farsical!!

I've noticed Dave667 is staying quiet this week, i've personally not bothered commenting on here for a while as it just became the same argument over and over and read all Dave667's one eyed arguments he was having 3 years ago. It would be nice for him to come on and hold his hands up. I seem to remember me and Manos explaining that all of Klitshko's last 5 or 6 opponents were a step up from anything Haye had faced let alone Wlad. My personal view on the whole thing is that Haye recognised the amount of money to be made by hyping up the fight and selected the easiest way to maximum revenue. Had he fought any of the Chagaev's and Povetkins of this world then it could have risked the biggest payday of his career. After round 2, he never looked like winning the fight and was content throw the odd big punch in hope of a KO and was probably content to see the 12 rounds with a large wad of cash in his pocket

There are mostly boxing related articles which is why DAVE has been quiet.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 pm

hogey wrote:Witherspoon held the title twice and came within a whisker of beating all time great Larry Holmes and taking losses into account still beat better men than Wlad ever has in Bruno, Tubbs, Snipes and Smith, also Tucker has wins over McCall, Douglas Norris and Seldon again these compare well against Wlads best win which was against a chinny Crusierweight. To be honest though neither of the above fighters could be called great by any stretch of the imagination and they are only mentioned to show how low i rate Wlad and will continue to unless he manages to beat a decent fighter or 2 before he retires.
Lets be fair he might hold his title for another 5 years looking at the opposition and even then he would have been only the second best fighter of his era after his brother.

How is David Haye chinny? He has only been stopped once due to punching himself out and Wlad is one of the biggest punchers in the division yet couldn't hurt Haye let alone knock him out.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:A chinny Cruiserweight who took Wlads best right hands?

The above comment frankly does more to back up my point fella, as does the comment about Witherspoon and Tuckers opposition which while admitting they are not world beaters the list of average fighters they fought still compares well to the list of fighters Wlad he has jabbed and leaned on over the last few years.
If Wlad was fighting at the bottom of my garden i would shut the curtains, anyway thats why i love boxing all about opinions and its good to get a decent debate going, but now i need to go and do some work.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:38 pm

The point is a chinny cruiserweight wouldn't have taken Wlads punches the way he did and having power isn't a sign of quality

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:16 am

Haye was a "chinny cruiserweight" who many people thought would blow Wlad away.

Its a shame that many of those people are now using the fact he failed to KO Haye as a stick in which to beat him.

Wlad is a proven power puncher. All the top coaches and trainers have verified this. If anyone doubts his power, than I'd like to know which currently active boxer they do consider to be a power puncher.

Respect to "The genius of PBF" for giving Wlad credit for proving him wrong.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:27 am

Respect if he beats fury

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:29 am

pauline1981 wrote:Respect if he beats fury

🤦

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline1981 Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:11 am

Im a wumon

Last edited by pauline1981 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total

pauline1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:14 am

pauline1981 wrote:Im a wum
http://tinyurl.com/6xxpvzy

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3