The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues

+8
doctor_grey
maestegmafia
jb1973
wales606
digitalshade
ML
bedfordwelsh
Cymroglan
12 posters

Go down

Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues Empty Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues

Post by Cymroglan Wed 6 Jul - 5:21

Dai Young's former assistants at Cardiff Blues, Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell, have been placed in charge of the team.

The move comes in the wake of Young's decision to take over at English Premiership club Wasps.

Paul Tito continues as captain while Blues chief Robert Norster confirmed they are involved in legal action over compensation for Young's move.

But Baber and Burnell's positions will be reviewed after the 2011 World Cup.

At that time in the autumn coaches such as Wales assistants Robert Howley and Robin McBryde, Russia boss Kingsley Jones plus a host of World Cup bosses could become candidates to take over at Cardiff City Stadium.
BBC LINK

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues Empty Re: Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 6 Jul - 5:24

Personally see it as a backward step for the Blues but like you said if someone like KJ came in above them it might work.

If they were going to go for young coaches the Chief would have been good choice IMO
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues Empty Re: Gareth Baber and Justin Burnell in charge of Blues

Post by ML Wed 6 Jul - 6:32

The Blues are obviously struggling financially, I think they will struggle to attract ambitious big-name coaches until they get more money into the club. At the moment the position must seem a bit of a poison chalice.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Wed 6 Jul - 6:48

They've said it's only a temporary arrangement until the end of the World Cup and then they'll look to appoint someone permanently. I'd be surprised if we could afford anyone top-class with our current financial predicament. Dai Young stated after the Scarlets game that we wouldn't be bringing any new players in because of the problems so I don't see how we could afford any of the World Cup coaches.

I agree totally with bedfordwelsh, if we're going to give a young coach an opportunity then surely the Chief should be top of the list. He's coached at age-grade rugby and done a fantastic job with Ponty and I think he's more than capable of making the step up to regional level.

He might even help turn the Blues into a proper region with the respect he carries up in Ponty and god knows the Blues could do with a spark to re-ignite the fan base after the performance levels of last season.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 6 Jul - 7:54

Pity, I wanted the bedford coach Rayer. Wont it be a bit distracting with 2 coaches. Im also suprised Tito is captain after his form this season.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by digitalshade Wed 6 Jul - 8:48

wales606 - I guess they've both been working there before so it's a short-term appointment to keep some consistency. Doubt it'll change much about the way they work with the players except they'll be making the final decisions instead of Dai Young.

Agree with you about Tito. I expect Warburton to take the captaincy long term but he'll be involved in the World Cup and Six Nations so will miss a large chunk of the season. I don't see any other obvious candidates in the team.

digitalshade

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Wed 6 Jul - 9:24

Rayer would be a good shout, howley seems to be a hit with the wru but is he off to bath?

KJ is another likely name to throw into the mix with the likes of mark evans and turner having a mention, can't see ruddock coming back to wales.

So if not it;s overseas coach for the blues, not much in the way of good young welsh coaches to get excited about is there?

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 6 Jul - 9:29

I think the lack of success in the Humphreys/Holley axis of pain at the Ospreys has jaded peoples views.

This could be a success, lets see how they go.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 6 Jul - 9:42

I have unraveled the mystery here: You know, if you swap their first and surnames then we have Gareth Burnell and Justin Bieber. Does anyone really want Justin Bieber in charge of Blues?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Wed 6 Jul - 9:56

I'm all for giving them an oppurtunity, and think that the stance of allowing them time to prove themselves whilst making them aware that they could be replaced post RWC is benificial to motivate them, and being honest with both - though I think that there needs to be a well respected and recognised coach at the helm to harness the playing pool that is there - If there isn't, that could have a big impact on attendances IMO. I'm surprised that Macintosh has not been drafted in to the mix at the Blues....seems like a natural progression for a coach within the regional set up that has had success with one of he regional clubs

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Wed 6 Jul - 10:15

you think macnitosh maybe seen as too much of a ponty man to be the blues head coach? aslo i don;t think ponty's end of season night out will have helped his cause

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Parade Wed 6 Jul - 12:21

True - some alegiencies run too deep I guess - we need the Blues to be strong in the Pro 12 and HC due to their vast number of Welsh squad representitives..........The Dragaons have taken a punt on Edwards, so maybe this will pay dividends for the Blues, but I just have the feeling that the Region associated with the Welsh Capital should have a proven and experienced coach at the helm, or certainly someone with an association with the region as a past player, or even someone with something to just prove - Andy Robinson had worked wonders at Edingurgh prior to promotion to Scotland coach after being dismissed by England - wondeer what Nick Mallet is up to after the RWC............. Laugh they haven't signed any new players this season so far, so wouldn't have the finances for that him anyway..................................what happened at the end of season night out anyway?

Dave Parade

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 6 Jul - 17:34

Seems a smart move to me, they give internal coaches a chance to step up and if they dont do very well, then they can always hire a coach on the cheap after the world cup.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by PackaPunch Wed 6 Jul - 18:16

I also think it's a good move. It's giving two Welsh coaches the chance to develop further. I know that Burnell has worked through the system, and has developed a lot of current players in the squad from his time as Academy Manager. I'm not as familiar with Baber but obviously the Blues believe they should be given a chance so instead of writing them off before they start, how about showing them some support.
As for Macintosh, I think his personal conduct should be a priority, then maybe give him a chance.

PackaPunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 7 Jul - 2:29

I recon if they do well they will stay.

Does a top coach want to move to a region/club which is pretty broke, no money for new signings, and an aging old guard that needs replaced.

Only people who'd want it are young coachs trying to make a name for themsevles, like these two.

Cardiff are at a rebuilding stage and maybe in 2/3 years will come good again, need to be planning to stay a while if you take the Blues job.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down