The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

kimbo slice to step into the ring....

+19
HitmanOwl
SugarRayBray
BALTIMORA
AlexHuckerby
oxring
School Project
Gerflagenflople
The Galveston Giant
J.Benson II
huw
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
TopHat24/7
manos de piedra
OasisBFC
Lumbering_Jack
sodhat
TRUSSMAN66
eddyfightfan
23 posters

Go down

kimbo slice to step into the ring.... Empty kimbo slice to step into the ring....

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

for those who dont follow mixed martial arts kimbo slice is a heavyweight fighter who gained a following on youtube fighting in "street fights" one on one style, no holds barred. he destroyed most of the competion and was picked up by a now defunct mma group. he then was noticed by UFC and made his debut, he had a 4-2 record, is a great striker, tough as nails and a come forward exciting fighter- however like a lot of people he doesnt have the ground game or techincal skill to complete at the top level of mma. he has now decided to come over to boxing, which should suit his style a lot better.

does anybody rate his chances? i think the reason behind the cross over is the fact that the division is weak at the moment and he see's it as his chance to shine. does anybody think its possible to come over from another sport and be successful? theres not much evidence of it at the top level, but it does happen.

anybody excited about this?........ just me then.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=6718666

Last edited by eddyfightfan on Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

kimbo slice to step into the ring.... Empty Re: kimbo slice to step into the ring....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

After being battered in the MMA he's going to pollute our "RESPECTABLE" rings is he...

No chance....useless streetfighter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

kimbo slice to step into the ring.... Empty Re: kimbo slice to step into the ring....

Post by sodhat Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

I don't think he will be much of a success here. Maybe a show fighter that gets fed bums to knock out, but I don't think he'll have the skills to make an actual challenge.

Never really convinced in MMA, and got knocked out by Petruzelli in 14 seconds or something like that? Even under all that beard!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

He got knocked out, by a jab off a 200lb fighter, in 9 seconds, who was not a very good striker anyway.

Silly article.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

i liked his street youtube fight videos - those guys with no technique thrashing around until they get exhausted 2 minutes into it. then mouthing off some 'gangsta' comments afterwards. still, was enjoyable.

i followed him into UFC where he was average.

he'll easily become unstuck by an average heavyweight, but i'll tune in. he's made a lot of money from what he's done.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

He might get a shot on Prizefighter, and get embarrassed. If hes coming in at heavyweight he could be in for a world of pain.

Audley v Slice?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

Kimbo's a skill-less hardman street fighter who gets exposed whenever he fights in a constrained (by rules, ring etc) environment and isn't fed bums. His only half decent youtube opponent (a 6'5" Boston cop) owned him and then he went to mma where Petruzelli (a much smaller guy and late replacement [who'd been told to stand and trade not use the mat]) sparked him in a few seconds.

Would love to see him in the ring with a K-bros. He's got a bigger gob than Haye with a lot more menace and malice behind it, and he'd get destroyed.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

I seriously need to get on t'internet more, I have never even heard of this guy.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

i like the cross over fights, i dont seriously expect him to beat a klitchsho and take the belts but i think the interest it generates is good for boxing, and i would expect any newcomer to boxing to come in and take on the best, but who knows after a couple of fights.

with people like audley and danny williams doing the rounds still i think he stands a good chance of giving us a few memorable nights

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Would love to see him in the ring with a K-bros. He's got a bigger gob than Haye with a lot more menace and malice behind it, and he'd get destroyed.

I thought he came over very well on The Ultimate Fighter and wasnt a loud mouth at all.

He might have got knocked out by a bum in MMA but that can happen to anyone at any time. And dont forget it would have been with MMA gloves not the big pillows that boxers use. His losses have mainly come from the martial arts aspect of the discipline. He can certainly bang but as said will most probably get mashed by someone.

It will be interesting though.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:55 pm

Would be an interesting freak show with him vs Butterbean. Other than that not really interested, would be a low level fighter and nothing more.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 07 Jul 2011, 1:56 pm

How old is he anyway?
I can't see him making any sort of impact in boxing as he's just a glorified bar room brawler.
However, he does possess some heavy hands so will probably look half decent knocking out a couple of complete bums.
He'll get exposed by anyone with even an ounce of ability.
Just look at Kirkland or Olubamiwo as examples of how his career will probably pan out.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

Hobo wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

I thought he came over very well on The Ultimate Fighter and wasnt a loud mouth at all.

He might have got knocked out by a bum in MMA but that can happen to anyone at any time. And dont forget it would have been with MMA gloves not the big pillows that boxers use. His losses have mainly come from the martial arts aspect of the discipline. He can certainly bang but as said will most probably get mashed by someone.

Kimbo deserves a lot more credit than he get's, he's a tough son of a bitch that's for sure, he struggled with the ground game in UFC/Elite XC, he's a striker but i don't expect him to have the stamina to compete in boxing, will be interesting though if he does put gloves on.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 07 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Kimbo deserves a lot more credit than he get's, he's a tough son of a bitch that's for sure, he struggled with the ground game in UFC/Elite XC, he's a striker but i don't expect him to have the stamina to compete in boxing, will be interesting though if he does put gloves on.

Can't see him being any different to all the 'Lenny McClean' type sreet fighters that do well until they fight professional fighters.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Thu 07 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

He did beat Ray Mercedes on his debut in MMA ... Although not sure how much standup was involved.

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:32 pm

Hobo wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

He's definitely a tough SOB, I'm not doubting that, and my 'gobby' comment is in reference mainly to his youtube performances. But he is a ruffian, a street-fighter, with minimal skills outside slugging which sees him come up short against more technically gifted guys (whether boxes or ground fighters) as well as against decent bigger guys (like Gannon). His youtube exploits were all of either fat bums or steroid monkeys who couldn't actually fight.

He would never get inside Wlad's jab, a la Haye, and simply lose every round. Haye himself would destroy him as he's so poorly conditioned Haye would dance around for 3-4 rounds until Kimbo is too shattered to raise his arms and then spark him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

He would never get inside Wlad's jab, a la Haye, and simply lose every round. Haye himself would destroy him as he's so poorly conditioned Haye would dance around for 3-4 rounds until Kimbo is too shattered to raise his arms and then spark him.

Forget the Klitschko's or Haye, any semi-decent journeyman will bust up Kimbo.
Somebody like McDermott would take him out within a few rounds. Heck, even Audley would probably KO him.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:47 pm

I'm interested in seeing if he'll shave that beard off!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:50 pm

I would literally be shocked if Kimbo Slice was even competitive at prizefighter level.

To put him in with a top ten ranked heavy would be attempted murder.

The guy is in his late 30s with little or no proper experience be it amateur or pro.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:29 pm

If he is cometitive at HW I might actually cry.

If he wins a title I'll be disgusted.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:38 pm

oxring wrote:If he is cometitive at HW I might actually cry.

If he wins a title I'll be disgusted.

I don't think he could be competitve at world level Oxy, if he is going to box though i would expect him to be fast tracked into some big fights rather than build up to a title, he doesn't have the stamina to compete over 12 rounds. UFC fights last 15 Mins and he was struggling.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:06 pm

Hope he gets taken to the cleaners so the UFC lot don't have anything to jibe us with.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Hope he gets taken to the cleaners so the UFC lot don't have anything to jibe us with.

He's not really a MMA guy Alex, more a streetfighter.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

Believe me I know, but the UFC boneheads will take it as an opportunity to start saying how naph boxing is in comparison to the UFC.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Believe me I know, but the UFC boneheads will take it as an opportunity to start saying how naph boxing is in comparison to the UFC.

True, was horrible listening to Joe Rogan etc after Toney fought Coulture.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

He'll make zero impact other than being a short-term (as in couple fights, max) novelty act. Too old, not skilled enough.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerflagenflople Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

Sorry meant he beat ray mercer not Mercedes damn predictive text. Doubt he will have any impact possible journeyman I guess but could you imagine him against a klitschko or Haye?

Gerflagenflople

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:53 pm

He'd get ravaged by anyone with any form of a technique, whilst he does have power in his hands, he would gas out quickly I reckon, he is a tough dude believe me, but boxing is a bit more than being a tough dude, especially in Heavy where nearly everyone has enough power to blow you away.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sun 10 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

The MMA community can't say a lot, Slice came virtually off the street and won a few.

As Alex says, anyone with any form of technique will muller Kimbo.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by HitmanOwl Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm

If Brock lesnar can make the crossover from pro wrestling to heavyweight champion,who are we to say kimbo cant?

HitmanOwl

Back to top Go down

Post by consigliare Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:If Brock lesnar can make the crossover from pro wrestling to heavyweight champion,who are we to say kimbo cant?
We are the people who have seen him fight.

consigliare

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 10 Jul 2011, 10:41 pm

HitmanOwl wrote:If Brock lesnar can make the crossover from pro wrestling to heavyweight champion,who are we to say kimbo cant?

Their are a lot of guys on here who know a bit about MMA which I am not one but I do know a bit about pro wrestling and their have been plenty of wrestlers who could have chose a career in MMA but went the other way for cash reasons.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

J.Benson II wrote:

Somebody like McDermott would take him out within a few rounds. Heck, even Audley would probably KO him.

Audley would destroy him, never thought I'd ever be able to say that sentence about anyone!

Most 'jouney men' would beat him. He is nothing more than a wild slugger with a punch and he's too old to get much better with top class training.

He would be in nothing more than freak fights.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

huw wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:

Audley would destroy him, never thought I'd ever be able to say that sentence about anyone!

Most 'jouney men' would beat him. He is nothing more than a wild slugger with a punch and he's too old to get much better with top class training.

He would be in nothing more than freak fights.

Got to agree Huw that the sentence Audley would destroy him goes right to the top of the list of phrases you never expected to see on here, sad thing is, in this instance it is correct.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

audley vs kimbo- what ever you say about it, it would sell and 99% of us would be watching.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:43 pm

He has the power and strength, and maybe even the chin... But I cant see how a 37 year old guy can become a world class boxer in a few years... its more tactical and not just a brawl...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:29 pm

to be fair matt skelton became a pro at the age of 35, coming from a background of kick boxing and did well on the domestic scene, even lifting the much covented WBU world title....

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

Street fighting and kick boxing are totally different, you at least learn how to punch properly in kick boxing...

To be fair I probably would watch him though!

Also Wrestling and MMA are more alike on the ground game and most people can throw a half decent punch if they practice it enough after having the ground game down much more so it makes Wrestling to MMA an easier switch. However they do not have the prowess or ring craft to move in and make a serious impact on boxing, and they may have learnt to throw a punch but they won't have it down to a decent enough level to trouble the boxers with skill.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

tunes666 wrote:He has the power and strength, and maybe even the chin... But I cant see how a 37 year old guy can become a world class boxer in a few years... its more tactical and not just a brawl...

Chin? That shot from Petruzelli (being a significantly smaller light man) that downed him was nothing compared to the 6th round uppercut Vitali took from Lewis and stayed standing. Slice's chin has never been tested by a genuine boxer's punch.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

That was a devastating punch and he basically just looked at him like he was The Terminator and kept on going thus proving Vitali IS a robot

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:28 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
tunes666 wrote:He has the power and strength, and maybe even the chin... But I cant see how a 37 year old guy can become a world class boxer in a few years... its more tactical and not just a brawl...

Chin? That shot from Petruzelli (being a significantly smaller light man) that downed him was nothing compared to the 6th round uppercut Vitali took from Lewis and stayed standing. Slice's chin has never been tested by a genuine boxer's punch.

That shot from Lewis would KO 99% of the people in the world (obviously not in one go, but you know what I mean!), anyone a computer whizz that can input either Simon Cowell, Jeremy Kyle or Frank Warren taking that punch and having their head clean removed from their shoulders in a mortal combat 'fatality' type move would be an absolute hero to me!

Kimbo would not be able to take the power from most heavyweight boxers that throw correctly and he would not have been taught how to roll with the punch to limit the damage (otherwise he would have already been tempted into boxing before his late 30's!).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down