The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lennox Lewis vs the great heavys

+7
HumanWindmill
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
captain carrantuohil
paperbag_puncher
11 posters

Go down

Lennox Lewis vs the great heavys Empty Lennox Lewis vs the great heavys

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:47 pm

Seeing as Lennox read the last article about himself against Sonny Liston and commented on his Twitter with "I would have loved to see how I measured up to history's best" I thought we could give him his wish and speculate how he would have fared against the top 10 heavys of all time (Many include Lewis in this list but we'll leave him out for these purposes)

If it cathes on I'll put up a new great heavy every week and we can argue over how Lewis would have fared against them.

Week #1 Rocky Marciano (Start off with a favourite on here..)

This ones a bit of a mismatch for me. Rocky never faced anyone with the size and skill set of Lewis. They should really be weight classes apart. I can see Lewis using his huge size and reach advantages and using his jab to keep Rocky at bay while tenderising him with some big right hands. I cant see Rocky being able to work his way inside to where he needs to be and getting wilder and more and more frustrated as the fight goes on. Can only really see his superior stamina and durability keeping him in the fight past half way. Lennox on cuts or by TKO anytime after the 6th for me.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Lennox Lewis vs the great heavys Empty Re: Lennox Lewis vs the great heavys

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

On the face of it, you begin with a bit of target practice for Lennox. One has to assume that he doesn't get careless, and I do remember Mercer bullying him a wee bit, but he must have too many physical gifts for the Rock. Think Lennox would box extremely cautiously to a likely shut-out decision unless he busts up Marciano sufficiently for a late stoppage in that manner. No chances taken with someone as potentially lethal as Marciano, as was the case with Tua.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:50 pm

David Haye Vs. Wladimir is a comparaitable fight, but Lewis is far more deadly and has knockout prowess, Lennox smashes him away in 6. Too big too powerful imo, if Marciano can't get close he can't win and Lennox's jab is too much and everytime MAricano comes in he's in the killzone for Lennox's power shots, can't see it for you Rocky I'm afraid.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

Cautious points win for Lewis, his jab when on form would be too much Marciano to negate, can envisage a slightly more competitive version of the Tua fight. Lewis would respect Marcianos power which would make him play it fairly safe unwilling to take risks in fear of the Suzy Q. 8 times out of 10 Lewis wins on points 116-112 but always the chance of a shock KO win which you can never rule Marciano out doing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:55 pm

Will add I hadn't seen Captains comment before I made mine

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 08 Jul 2011, 6:57 pm

I feel that Marciano would start taking risks if he isn't having success in the first 3 and Lewis would start picking him apart form there I'm afraid, just too big and too much size to negate for Marciano in my opinion. But I would (And this sounds awful talking about an unbeaten Heavy) only give him a bit more than a punchers chance. =/

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:10 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:On the face of it, you begin with a bit of target practice for Lennox.

You could be right captain but have to start somehwere. Does anyone see how Rocky can win? Does he have a punchers chance even? Any chance that a combo of Lennox being cautious and Rocky's non stop pressure and greater work rate could lead to a points win for The Rock?

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

Yes, for sure he has a puncher's chance and a pressure fighter's chance - Lennox would have to be on his mettle throughout, which is why I think he'd win this one. Knowing that an opponent was a threat tended to bring the best out of him. I don't say that a Rocky victory is impossible by any means, but it's not the way that I'd be betting. I certainly don't believe that Rocky could get through often enough to take a decision, that's for sure. Would have to drop the hammer to beat Lennox, I'd have to think.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

I wouldnt give the Rock much more than a punchers chance because I think to catch Lewis cold you have to catch him early and Marciano was just too slow a starter.

I genuinely dont thin Marciano was in with any big heavyweight puncher. Louis by many accounts had lost some of his punch when they met. Wlacott maybe could hit but dont think its on Lewis level with those huge overhands or uppercuts. I have a slight suspicion that Marcianos chin and durability have probably been overrated over time as he wasnt really in with big heavyweight punchers. Im still skeptical if he can impose that kind of style on genuinely big hitters and hope to wear them down.

I think once Lewis finds range his massive physical advantages would secure the stoppage mid to late in any of cuts, corner stoppage or TKO as Marciano becomes too brave for his own good.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

Lewis is probably too big for Rocky......190 pounds vs a 245 quite aesthetic heavy that punches like a mule would be hard work for anybody..

Sure the rock would give it a go but the size differential is too much...

Stopped around the 6th on cuts......a la Vitali..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:54 pm

Pretty much agree with the consensus view.

Head to head, this isn't a great match up for Rocky and, while I believe he could - and would - win one or two out of ten, the percentage call has to be Lewis over the long haul.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by King Raoh Fri 08 Jul 2011, 9:47 pm

Agree with majority of above sentiments. Lewis wins this fight.

However dare I suggest these fantasy fight should be 15 rounds. On that basis if Marciano is still live in the true "championship" rounds a shock knockout is a real possibility.

King Raoh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:50 pm

Lewis has advantages in range, physical size, power and skill. It's a modern day equivalent of pascal vs wlad near enough. Lewis would keep him at bay with the jab and use his comparatively immense power to ko the rock should he dare come forward. Lewis 9.5times out of 10.

Last edited by Sugar Boy Sweetie on Sat 09 Jul 2011, 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm

9 1/2 times out of 10?????

What happens in the half...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 08 Jul 2011, 11:09 pm

The size difference in this fight would just highlight the sheer difference in skill levels between the two, it's one thing fighting a big guy like Buddy Baer, Willard or Wlad but fighting Lewis or Bowe is something completely different. Marciano had immense power despite his size but in this fight Lewis knows what to do up close which would neutralise Marcianos best chance of winning, he probably stands more chance of beating Louis or Ali at their bests than Lewis.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 09 Jul 2011, 8:12 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:9 1/2 times out of 10?????

What happens in the half...

Rocky does a Rahman!
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 09 Jul 2011, 8:41 am

given the other thread on comparing fighters across the ages... are we giving marciano the benefit of 50 years of evolution/diet/training etc?

If not, then this is a fairly comfortable nights work for lennox, as will many of the rest of the top 10 be imo for the same reasons. If we're applying the 'if marciano was born the same year as lewis' scenario, leaving the rock a presumably bigger bruiser, i still think it's a lewis win but as others have said, it would most likely be the chess player lennox picking a points win or cuts stoppage, not the bomb throwing, (michael grant) lewis

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:30 am

Lennox V Marciano would be very one sided. Lennox keeps him at bay with the jab and occasional right hand and when Marciano does get inside (if at all) Lennox ties him up. TKO in the 9th for The Lion.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down