The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fit for golf

+9
George1507
super_realist
Hibbz
JPX
Rossa
Diggers
Lairdy
Adam D
Humpyd
13 posters

Go down

Fit for golf Empty Fit for golf

Post by Humpyd Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:16 pm

As we are no doubt all in peak physical fitness on this site, I'd be interested to know whether anyone has started any exercise which had a marked effect on their golf. (In a good way!!)

I'm getting to the stage I wake up on a Sunday (golf day) after having done my Saturday 'chores' (gardening, decorating, etc) but found recently that I've felt generally tired and achey before I start golf. I was thinking of starting regular swimming and maybe getting some dumbells but not sure whether this will do more harm than good (although I'm a great believer in any exercise is good exercise).

Any thoughts anyone?

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Fit for golf Empty Re: Fit for golf

Post by Adam D Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

I think its a really interesting question because Golf is about the only physical sport that can be played at the top level even if you are not physically fit/ built like an adonis.

Personally, when I play my first game of the season (I am a fairweather player), I usually find that my first few drives are my best of the day - and that is because I am stiff from having not played. It then goes to buggery as I try to get clever and hit the ball harder!

I am sure there has been a few pros who suffered form after hitting the gym (maybe someone else will know) - was it perhaps David Duval or Faldo who lost form after they took up the gym?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

I seem to remember reading that someone like Harvey Penick said swimming is not a good exercise for golfers... no idea why though!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

I bet for every one golfer whose form suffered a bit for hitting the gym a hundred have found it has improved their game from both a mental and physical perspective. Not too many of them out there are bloaters these days.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

Last year i resorted to a trolley due to back and hip pain...

I've lost over a stone from 16st 3 to about 15st by eating a bit healthier (not much though) and swimming 1km, 3 times a week... although slacked off a bit lately...

The difference is stark, much much better, no pain, even when carrying, much more supple and Mr Penwick was wrong (in my case anyway) on this one as by PB has dropped from 87 to 82 and my hb from 19 to 15 Smile
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

Yoga.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:43 pm

Congrats on all fronts Rossa. Not sure I could manage 1km though, even in 3 sessions!!

Interesting one JPX. Yoga improves your suppleness and flexibility doesn't it? Sounds ideal.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:46 pm

Yoga is great for golf. Just don't tell your mates!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

JPX, not fussed what people think (although I probably wouldn't shout it from the rooftops!!).

What about Pilates?

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

[quote="Hobo"]I think its a really interesting question because Golf is about the only physical sport that can be played at the top level even if you are not physically fit/ built like an adonis.

Even allowing for sports which you'd dismiss as "pub games" (darts/snooker) this is quite along way from the mark. How's about American Football and Baseball for a start?

Last edited by Hibbz on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : messed up the quote button stuff.)

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

or Cricket , Robert Key is Shane Lowry esque.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:57 pm

Humpyd wrote:JPX, not fussed what people think (although I probably wouldn't shout it from the rooftops!!).

What about Pilates?
You're right, who cares what people think. You can get the Mrs involved too, you know just to improve flexibility and all that.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

Humpyd wrote:Congrats on all fronts Rossa. Not sure I could manage 1km though, even in 3 sessions!!

Interesting one JPX. Yoga improves your suppleness and flexibility doesn't it? Sounds ideal.

Don't be putt off... the first time i went i did 20 lenghts 500m, and i thought i was going to drown in the shallow end, i rested after every 4 lenghts... it doesn't take long for your fitness to pick up, now i do 40 with a little breather after 20... easy mate... Another tip, do breast stroke, you'll look like a bit of a fanny (compared to the nuthugger brigade doing front crawl) but it works wonders for the pectorals (moobs)...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

You think American footballers and baseball players are not fit? That's not the case. In the main, they are very fit guys indeed, and incredibly strong.

Fitness helps with golf, no question, but suppleness is more important. Bending and stretching exercises work wonders. You can do it formally - with yoga - or just work out a regime of your own. Simple stuff like being able to touch hands behind your back (with one hand over your shoulder) is a good exercise. Touching your toes, and all that kind of thing is really good.

Whatever you do, don't go to the gym and start to pump iron. Being muscular doesn't help, it may hinder your golf and you may end up injuring yourself.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

super_realist wrote:or Cricket , Robert Key is Shane Lowry esque.

Samit Patel is Craig/Kevin Stadleresque. Even since Samit has lost allegedly lost weight (can't see it myself) I reckon he'd make a good human sightscreen. Wonderfully skillful player mind you.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:02 pm

There are a lot of tubby baseball players out there, although it's not really a sport, just like rounders.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

George1507 wrote:You think American footballers and baseball players are not fit? That's not the case. In the main, they are very fit guys indeed, and incredibly strong.

Fitness helps with golf, no question, but suppleness is more important. Bending and stretching exercises work wonders. You can do it formally - with yoga - or just work out a regime of your own. Simple stuff like being able to touch hands behind your back (with one hand over your shoulder) is a good exercise. Touching your toes, and all that kind of thing is really good.

Whatever you do, don't go to the gym and start to pump iron. Being muscular doesn't help, it may hinder your golf and you may end up injuring yourself.

Come on pal. The linebackers are fit for purpose but they aint "adonises, adoni?" And as for baseball pitchers pull the other one.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Jul 2011, 4:55 pm

You may think baseball pitchers are tubs of lard but they tend to be extremely strong, especially their legs which might be a lesson for us ageing golfers.
Our back nine is quite hilly and I know that when I make the climb up the 550 yard uphill 16th that my legs are the first to feel it, and the first to betray lack of strength and balance needed for my shot to the green. On such days I know #18 will be a nightmare 'specially when it's hot and humid. (Always carry my bag and it feels progressively heavier on such days.)

Just look at Luke Donald: It's been mentioned on here by posters (presumably not just his wife) that his fitness regime has caused him to develop a huge bum - bet that reflects an effort to build up his legs and trunk. Characteristic of quite a few golfers I think but it's paying off for Lukey.

And perhaps Penick and Crenshaw can't swim, but there's surely no better exercise for general health than swimming . . . . ?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:02 pm

Linebackers are big guys - intentionally so - but they are still fit.

Baseball players are generally very fit. They have incredibly strong arms too. If you see the distance they have to throw the ball back from the fence, it's incredible.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:06 pm

Fit and fat are two different things. I don't believe you can be truly fit if you are fat however and in professional sport I don't see their being a legitimate excuse for being even remotely lardy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Jul 2011, 5:18 pm

Fitness is certainly not a criteria for pitching but strength certainly is! And if you've ever had the pleasure of watching CC Sabbathia waddling over to cover first base in the middle of pitching a complete game you'd know what I mean!

Anyway, strength your legs, improve your cardio and eat right and it can't help but improve your golf.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 11 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

Wasn't questioning the strength of pitchers arms or the size and strength of linebackers and yes they are anaerobically fit but they are not "fit" in the traditional aerobic sense of the word and they sure as hell are not built like adonis.

And in my humble opinion anytime you spend exercising/fitness training specifically for golf would be far better spent on the putting green or the chipping/pitching area if you're serious about improving your golf.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 11 Jul 2011, 7:07 pm

just big boned to be honest!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:18 pm

Hibbz,
Regarding the chipping, pitching and putting. No doubt!
Just that some of us are reaching an age where stamina is also important . . . . mental as well as physical.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:03 pm

A Good diet
Drink 2ltrs of water a day
Brisk walk of at least 2 miles every day
No excesses

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:55 pm

Just reading today that the two litres of water thing is a complete crock and doesn't actually have any health benefits.
Mind you probably be another report next month saying it's utterly essential again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Daily mail by any chance Digs?

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:00 am

I doubt it Dyna, I reckon that the Daily Mail would claim that drinking two litres a day affects house prices, reduces immigration and could very well bring Princess Diana back.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:29 am

Following a bit of advice I now drink a glass of water last thing before sleeping.
I'm in my mid sixties so the obvious thought would be a trip to the loo in the middle of the night. Strangely it seems to have the opposite effect.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down