The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How heavy is the weight of history?

+27
Notch
oxring
kiakahaaotearoa
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
disneychilly
nganboy
PJHolybloke
HammerofThunor
TheGreyGhost
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
aucklandlaurie
Shifty
Taylorman
emack2
beshocked
Feckless Rogue
munkian
maestegmafia
Thomond
GunsGerms
G2
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
caoimhincentre
robbo277
red_stag
Portnoy
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How heavy is the weight of history? Empty How heavy is the weight of history?

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 12:15

Firstly I must ask that posters keep this article sensible and objective.

How much does a recent or long term sequence of results affect a team?

If A has never beaten B at C for x years may be explained if key players remain - but not normally ten years on.

In practical terms this is a question about why NZ are considered RWC chokers, why England can't beat Ireland away etc.

I'll leave it as open as that.

But keep it friendly...
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

How heavy is the weight of history? Empty Re: How heavy is the weight of history?

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 12:21

Portnoy at a certain stage it becomes quite big. Good point.

If Ireland play NZ next week the questions will be why we haven't been able to beat them so far, what will we do differently now. The captain or someone within Ireland camp will say its not something they are thinking about. However fact he even has to ask the question means it is something they are painfully aware of.

Its like many teams were beaten for they set foot in Thomond Park often times to what were fairly average Munster teams. History has a big bearing sometimes.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

How heavy is the weight of history? Empty Re: How heavy is the weight of history?

Post by robbo277 Tue 12 Jul - 12:22

Depends how heavy you let it be. Strong characters can block out what's gone before and just focus on the 80 minutes ahead of them.

Take Quins beating Munster in the Amlin, for example. They didn't focus on the fact that Munster had only ever lost at home in Europe once before, they treated it as what it was, a rugby match against 15 other men. Quins got in their faces, played to a game plan and came away with the win.

Obviously the media plays a part in it. Pre-game stats are trotted out here, there and everywhere. If you let it in, you're in trouble.

Last edited by robbo277 on Tue 12 Jul - 12:23; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 12 Jul - 12:22

"In practical terms this is a question about why NZ are considered RWC chokers, why England can't beat Ireland away etc"

What do mean england can't beat ireland "Away" Wink

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 12:29

caoimhincentre wrote:"In practical terms this is a question about why NZ are considered RWC chokers, why England can't beat Ireland away etc"

Ireland an England played their 6Ns in reverse in terms of performance in many ways.

But I believe that somehow history was a component in the result. I'll say no more.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Tue 12 Jul - 12:31

Portnoy wrote:
caoimhincentre wrote:"In practical terms this is a question about why NZ are considered RWC chokers, why England can't beat Ireland away etc"

Ireland an England played their 6Ns in reverse in terms of performance in many ways.

But I believe that somehow history was a component in the result. I'll say no more.

Probably just as well because that last statement made no sense,

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 12:32

I think its a good point Portnoy. Ireland have become a bogey team for England since 2004 and the history behind the 2007 Eng v Ire clash was a big factor then. O'Connell and Trimble spoke about wanting to get the win over England.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 12:56

There was no sense of determination within the Irish side in this year's 6Ns in the early rounds.

Would they have been contenders for a GS had they met England on the first week-end?

This is my point. Does it matter about recent history, or old History, or a jinx or mental preparation?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul - 12:58

The weight of history culminates in belief.

Then of course there is also the quality of the players.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul - 13:10

I think wins of any sort is the main factor as that builds cofidence and a winning mentality.

That said History does play a part and it does affect teams, a lot will remember the first Ireland England game at Croke Park and Me personally never thought for one minute Ireland would lose. Likewise Scarlets first game at Stradey after Gravs death - That said these outside influences could affect a team.

In terms of WCs then history will play heavily on the Blacks come September due to the fact that for the four mour years in between WCs they have been seen as the best team in the world and everyones tip to win - yet they still haven't won it since 87.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 13:20

It is strange why ancient rugby history lies heavily on teams.

And History makes a difference.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 12 Jul - 13:23

Maybe ancient history doesn't neccesarily lie heavy on current players (everyone deals with it differently) but its the added pressure that fans and media make of it.

You can guarantee there will be hundreds of media stories in NZ leading upto the WC.

There was a fair amount of media before the Croke game and again likewise before the game after Gravs death.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 12 Jul - 13:23

England vs …. Winning / losing streaks (over 3 in a row) post 1970

England vs Ireland
1972 – 1976 – Ireland 5 straight wins home & away
1988 – 1992 – England 6 straight wins home & away
1995 – 2000 – England 6 straight wins home & away
2004 – 2007 – Ireland 4 straight wins home & away
2009 – ? – Ireland 3 straight wins home & away and counting

England vs Scotland
1970 – 1972 – Scotland 4 straight wins home & away
1977 – 1981 – England 5 straight wins home & away
1991 – 1999 – England 10 straight wins home & away
2001 – 2005 – England 5 straight wins home & away

England vs Wales
1975 – 1979 – Wales 5 straight wins home & away
1987 – 1989 – Wales 4 straight wins home & away
1994 – 1998 – England 5 straight wins home & away
2000 – 2004 – England 7 straight wins home & away

England vs France
1989 – 1995 – England 8 straight wins

England vs S. Africa
2000 – 2006 – England 7 straight wins home & away
2006 – ? – S. Africa 7 straight wins home & away and counting

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 13:32

G2 wrote:England vs …. Winning / losing streaks (over 3 in a row) post 1970

England vs Ireland
1972 – 1976 – Ireland 5 straight wins home & away
1988 – 1992 – England 6 straight wins home & away
1995 – 2000 – England 6 straight wins home & away
2004 – 2007 – Ireland 4 straight wins home & away
2009 – ? – Ireland 3 straight wins home & away and counting

England vs Scotland
1970 – 1972 – Scotland 4 straight wins home & away
1977 – 1981 – England 5 straight wins home & away
1991 – 1999 – England 10 straight wins home & away
2001 – 2005 – England 5 straight wins home & away

England vs Wales
1975 – 1979 – Wales 5 straight wins home & away
1987 – 1989 – Wales 4 straight wins home & away
1994 – 1998 – England 5 straight wins home & away
2000 – 2004 – England 7 straight wins home & away

England vs France
1989 – 1995 – England 8 straight wins

England vs S. Africa
2000 – 2006 – England 7 straight wins home & away
2006 – ? – S. Africa 7 straight wins home & away and counting

This isn't about England. It's about how the pressure of history long before the current team was united has a strange effect on the side's confidence.

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Jul - 13:36

Very very heavy. Especially when it comes to Ireland v NZ games. I will be a complete mess the day we finally beat the ABs.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Jul - 13:44

The omens are good though as no team has ever beaten Ireland 18 times in a row. NZ now have 17 in a row.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 12 Jul - 13:54

Sorry Portnoy,

But the above shows that a team can go winning streak against a particular nation but it only lasts about 4 or 5 years, maybe 6.

After that time, new players come in / players retire and the streak is broken.

That said I do believe that history does play a part, if a team gets a psychological advantage over another team that can be enough to win those close games, this psychological advantage is gradually eroded by time as personnel change.

England can’t win in Ireland at the moment, I think a lot of that is because Ireland just have a better team at the moment and you would expect a better team to win especially when playing at home.

Perhaps I should have said that with the original post Very Happy

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 12 Jul - 13:58

Good topic Portnoy. It's obviously a psychological effect more than everything. If you have a history of losing against a certain team than an early score or mistake will dent your confidence somewhat. The first few minutes and score can have a huge effect. If your team comes off better in the early exchanges then you could take some ins[iration and belief from that.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 12 Jul - 14:18

It's also why SCW put so much weight on having a win against all of the SH gaints home & away in the run up to the 2003 WC.

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 12 Jul - 14:24

There is another element, and that is consistently playing your opposition. Wales have had a poor run of results over the last few years but we have mainly only played teams better than us in the Rankings, we have also often fielded our weakened side against teams ranked lower and sometimes either paid the ultimate penalty or come close to it.

Our performances against those teams ranked above have improved over that time, though they have not become convincing enough for anyone to think that a forth coming match could have a definitely positive conclusion in Wales' favour.

It has been good to see the players looking very despondent after close loosing results to better ranked teams. They know how much it is to get close, and they know how much more it takes to go that bit further.

I would say that history does pay its part, but more so for the pre-match media hype than for the actual way that the players approach in preparation.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 14:26

leinsterbaby wrote:Very very heavy. Especially when it comes to Ireland v NZ games. I will be a complete mess the day we finally beat the ABs.

This is a slab worth jemmying up.

It's easier to raise a performance against Historical performance than historical rugby performances ? or !
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Jul - 14:31

Portnoy wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:Very very heavy. Especially when it comes to Ireland v NZ games. I will be a complete mess the day we finally beat the ABs.

This is a slab worth jemmying up.

It's easier to raise a performance against Historical performance than historical rugby performances ? or !

...or I haven't a clue what you are saying? What's jemmying?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 14:33

leinsterbaby wrote:
...or I haven't a clue what you are saying? What's jemmying?

Using a crowbar.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 12 Jul - 14:38

He means jimmying Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Jul - 14:41

Ok fair enough I confess I didn't understand the rest either though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 12 Jul - 14:42

Me either. He gone a bit mad there Ted...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 12 Jul - 14:42

Watch Ireland panic if things aren't going well against the French. Knock ons, wayward passes, brainfarts, Flannery taking up kung fu. Then see the steely determination with which Ireland will fight England for 80 minutes. I do believe history effects a teams psychology.

Ireland believe they can and will beat England, even if they fall behind. They've become used to it. However, because of their experiences against les bleus, they fear the French (fear is probably to strong a word but I can't think of a better one), and they let the pressure beat them.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 14:43

munkian wrote:He means jimmying Very Happy

Not in my part of the world he doesn't munkian. Wink Smile
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 12 Jul - 14:47

Ireland do get sweaty fingers when it comes to the French alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Jul - 15:26

G2 by your logic England are better than France. France are better than Ireland.......

The French seem to struggle against England. Even last year when they coasted past every other side they limped over the line against us at home.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 12 Jul - 15:48

I wasn't trying to be logical, just showing that a team can gain the upper hand over a particular team for a number of years then something happens and the situation changes.

It could be said that up to 2003 England would nearly always beat Ireland, but now …..

Perhaps my response was a bit disjointed

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 12 Jul - 16:15

Logic has nothing to do with this article. That's the underlying principle.

It's the reason why in some circumstances some teams can step on to the field a pace or two ahead/behind of the opposition for reasons which can't be explained logically by form or ability - just a run of results.

Last edited by Portnoy on Tue 12 Jul - 16:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phrase repetition)
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 16:18

Portnoy wrote:Logic has nothing to do with this article. That's the underlying principle.

It's the reason why in some circumstances some circumstances some teams can step on to the field a pace or two ahead/behind of the opposition for reasons which can't be explained logically by form or ability.

Exactly. Its a great point. Sport is rarely fair or logical. There is rarely if ever tournaments that go completely as you'd expect based on form, ability and logic. There is often the intangiable and history/past experiences is one of those factors.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 12 Jul - 19:26

History usually means a lot,in RWCs no pool runner up has won trophy,since 1903 only 7 sides have beaten the All Blacks in test matches.
Including the Lions and a Rest of the World side ,Only 36 wins by the away team in that time.
All Blacks are the only side to have a plus score against every other nation
etc.
Which lets face it when two teams face off history goes out the window and either side can win.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Jul - 20:38

The examples you use Portnoy are a little selective. NZ at world cups- is neither consecutive matches to a particular team nor teams.

But as far as the event is concerned- the World cup in general. I believe yes. For some reason the AB's fail to apply as much pressure on other countries as they do outside the event.

In the last 5 world cups- other teams haven risen to the occasion more than the AB's.

Henry has admitted that this year that from one of the lessons of 2007 instead of looking forward, is looking to use the lessons of history to campaign this event, so hopefully that, along with 7 hard months of detailed analysis gives hi what he needs.

The other example Ireland England away? - extremely selective. Over what period.

Perhaps the 23 or 24 match non winning runs of the Irish and Scots over the AB's- anywhere might be a good example? What does an Irishman or 15 think about history when going onto the field against the AB's.

That I'd love to know- does it affect them? Or do they treat it as 15 against 15 (all 24 times?)

I think that would answer your question succinctly.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 12 Jul - 20:53

I dont think past results have any bearing to be honest.
Wales lost to Samoa in 1991, they ambushed us no one knew who Samoa were. they ambushed us in 1999 after we won 10 games on the trot but Wales were far too cócky and threw the ball around in a silly manner. We lost in 1994 as 5 Nation champions because the game was played at a bad time of day in Samoa, when it was extremely hot, and several of our players collapsed from heat exaustion while on the field. It was freakishly hot even for that country that day and Wales players simply hadn't experienced weather like it.

As for Fiji, well we just scraped past them in 2005 with a reserve team when Nicky Robinson kicked a last minute drop goal to win the game.
We lost the 2007 World Cup game due to a number of factors. Firstly the referee Stuart Dickinson, decisions at the tackle area were a disgrace, Popham was hit twice with late and malicious tackles, and little was said about it, both should of been yellow at least.
Dwayne Peel was hit with a swinging fore arm in the throat right in front of the referee which he didn't seem to care about. In fact the only card he did issue when when Akapusi Qera knee'd Stephen Jones in the groin! There must of been 6-8 incidents that players would probably of been carded for Fiji with a sensible referee. This is why assume Wales have insisted on strict Northern Hemisphere referees (Alain Rowlands and Wayne Barnes) for their games against Fiji and Samoa. The only way Fiji and Samoa can knock Wales off their stride is to tackle dangerously and rough them up, but if they do it illegally then players will go to the bin!
Stephen Jones also had a shocker with his goal kicking, in fact he hit the post 3 times, and missed several shots altogether. Matthew Rees has a terrible time with his line out throwing.
It's worth noting that as stupid and reckless as Wales played we did out score Fiji 5 tries to 4, but Nicky Little hit 7 out of 8, missing only 1 conversion I think, were Jones missed several conversions and several penalties.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 12 Jul - 21:51

Really depends if the teams are generally similarly matched.
If one has a breakthrough after losing many then it paves the way for the others I believe.
Oz lost 11 straight but have now won the last against the AB's. That has to help.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 22:15

Ireland need to overcome the French bogey before they are ready to shake off the Kiwi chip on their shoulder.

Certainly as a fan I expect us to beat Australia and South Africa and to be fair over last decade we've had good results against them. However France and New Zealand are stumbling blocks.

I think that Ireland have an excellent chance of recording a double victory over France this summer and it would be their biggest confidence boost since winning the Grandslam two years ago.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 12 Jul - 22:47

One day ireland will beat the All Blacks...

I hope it happens in Dublin.and I hope I am there.
The next 24 hours WILL be HISTORIC...........

Idefinitely wouldnt want to be around if it happened down here....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 12 Jul - 22:50

Look at how Munster played in 2008 against the All Blacks - they didn't have same issues that Ireland did mentally as the province has beaten the Kiwis but not the national team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 12 Jul - 23:35

red_stag wrote:Look at how Munster played in 2008 against the All Blacks - they didn't have same issues that Ireland did mentally as the province has beaten the Kiwis but not the national team.

The mental factor kicks in on both sides Stag. No AB wants to be known as the 1st to lose to Ireland (or Scotland, etc). A couple of times in recent years they've found ways to get the job done.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 13 Jul - 17:03

Wait. Didn't Munster lose in 2008? I'm sure Ireland have had the odd near miss. In which case, does that statement even make sense?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 13 Jul - 17:12

Grey - I've never seen Ireland play like that against New Zealand ever and its a game I love to watch.

Kiwi - thats a very good point about mental factor kicking in on both teams.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 13 Jul - 20:42

red_stag wrote:Ireland need to overcome the French bogey before they are ready to shake off the Kiwi chip on their shoulder.

Certainly as a fan I expect us to beat Australia and South Africa and to be fair over last decade we've had good results against them. However France and New Zealand are stumbling blocks.

I think that Ireland have an excellent chance of recording a double victory over France this summer and it would be their biggest confidence boost since winning the Grandslam two years ago.

I think you need to start beating them away as well. Good recent records against Aus and SA but only at home.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul - 22:18

There's nothing simple in a simple question it there?

Why does the legacy of of what went on years ago with different teams of men, coaches, styles etc. all gone makes a psychological difference.

The most telling statement I've seen so far is the AB's hex over Ireland.

That doesn't make sense. Ireland can beat England but not the Blacks.

It's a conundrum best explained in the same comment (by Kiwi I think) that it's the fear of ABs losing which compounds the pressure on the Irish desperation to win.

In 1995 (?) England played in the worst game of any RWC in SA - for 3rd/4th. England had an ubeaten run of about 7-8, but had no spirit to win that game and didn't. And subsequently lost a bunch on the spin.

The fear of losing wasn't there.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Jul - 0:49

Yeah Ive seen Ireland matches where I thought they might win to be sure- mainly in NZ.
Scotlands the same. They've had some big battles but somehow ABs manage to point ahead even when they weren't playing well at all.

I know AB teams mention the record before every Ireland and Scotland match- "WE do NOT want to be the first team to lose one... "

Other nations like Argies, Italy and all the Pac Islands etc havnt done it either but for Ireland and Scotland this has been going on since 1905.

On its own its a great record and one no player wants to be a part of to end.

I, for one would celebrate with either on this one but I've been saying that for a very long time, wondering if its ever going to happen...!

there, just jinxed them... Doh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Thu 14 Jul - 1:40

Psychology is huge in any human confrontation, it's what keeps us in contact with our animal instincts and the natural principal of fight or flight, when it comes to a physical sport like RU it's not a factor it's the gospel.

Winning "runs" against any team builds up a level of confidence that is almost impossible to shake other than through the experience of a resounding defeat against a team you "expect" to beat.

You only have to look at England's "rabbit in the headlights" performance in Dublin this year to know that there is a different level at which the game is really played. Compare that with Johnno's "we've been had before so get your shoes dirty Mary" turn-up in 2003 and there's no comparison between the two. One team hopeful, the other without doubt.

With regard to the upcoming WC, I would suggest that any team coming up against NZ should use the hiatus between the anthems and the dropout to get in a huddle and sort their gameplan out, let them get on with The Haka and let yourselves get on with working out how to win the gsme.

I don't see the point in lining up to "face" something which you can't do anything about and isn't part of the Laws anyway, so use the downtime to your own advantage - NZ do.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 14 Jul - 3:39

leinsterbaby wrote:The omens are good though as no team has ever beaten Ireland 18 times in a row. NZ now have 17 in a row.
draw it is then
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Jul - 5:05

Hi ya PJ...

"I would suggest that any team coming up against NZ should use the hiatus between the anthems and the dropout to get in a huddle and sort their gameplan out"

I'd also recommend using a little time before that to sort one out as well....

Sorry couldnt resist...

Rolling Eyes

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Jul - 10:14

Ha Laurie I live in Dublin. Good banter every game despite the stats. I think due to the English media I'd rather NZ lose to Ireland for the first time than lose to England for the next time.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next