The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Haye v Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson

+11
GaryMabbuttYidLegend
fearlessBamber
Scottrf
The genius of PBF
Rowley
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
DoubleD22
Fists of Fury
88Chris05
oxring
15 posters

Go down

David Haye v Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson Empty Re: David Haye v Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson

Post by oxring Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 am

Haye. Probably a stoppage.

Much criticism of him - but at crusier he was a feasome puncher.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

David Haye v Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson Empty Re: David Haye v Johnny 'The Entertainer' Nelson

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:35 am

Haye by a wide, wide, WIDE decision. Far too good for Nelson, who'd probably survive while losing just about every round. He was tentative at the best of times, but against a fearsome 200 lb puncher like Haye, he'd be on the back foot all night but nowhere busy enough off it to get rounds in the bag.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:40 am

Haye by pretty destructive KO, in my opinion.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:41 am

Haye stoppage for me,

too powerfull and busy for Nelson at 200lb i think.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 am

I would agree with Chris in principle that Haye would win a wide decision, but would add the caveat that Haye is hardly the busiest of fighters himself. I can envisage something similar to Haye v Harrison, with David wandering around for a bit before trying to get his punches off. Only difference been, Nelson has the ability to stay away from Haye and last the distance whereas Audley was too big and slow to do the same.

I think Nelson could nick a couple of rounds whilst Haye took his inevitable breathers, but Haye would win 9 times out of 10.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:44 am

88Chris05 wrote:Haye by a wide, wide, WIDE decision. Far too good for Nelson, who'd probably survive while losing just about every round. He was tentative at the best of times, but against a fearsome 200 lb puncher like Haye, he'd be on the back foot all night but nowhere busy enough off it to get rounds in the bag.

Could Haye go for 12 rounds though Chris? He blew himself out in 5 against The Cat, if it goes to the later rounds I'd back Johnny to take him out.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:46 am

Will go with Haye but by the points route rather than stoppage, until late in his career Nelson always displayed a terrific set of whiskers and couple that with his defensive skills and cautious nature which as Chris has already said would be amplified against Haye and have to feel Nelson sees the final bell.

Would add though that whilst not a nuclear puncher when Johnny did let his hands go he could bang, and Haye has looked vulnerable in the past, obviously this is some way short of tipping Johnny but just wanted to leap to the defence of my fellow Sheffielder and suggest haye cannot just walk in and do as he pleases in this one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 am

Union Cane wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Haye by a wide, wide, WIDE decision. Far too good for Nelson, who'd probably survive while losing just about every round. He was tentative at the best of times, but against a fearsome 200 lb puncher like Haye, he'd be on the back foot all night but nowhere busy enough off it to get rounds in the bag.

Could Haye go for 12 rounds though Chris? He blew himself out in 5 against The Cat, if it goes to the later rounds I'd back Johnny to take him out.

I think Haye could do the full distance because Nelson just wouldn't make him work hard enough. Thompson, although shipping some fearsome punishment, put the pressure on Haye mentally and physically by walking him down, something I don't see Nelson doing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 am

Haye blasts Nelson out within 6

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Haye blasts Nelson out within 6

You missed the word FACT.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:00 am

I didn't realise that Nelson was World Heavyweight Champion.

You learn something every day...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:03 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:Haye blasts Nelson out within 6

You missed the word FACT.

No that is a prime Mike Tyson he beats everyone FACT

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:04 am

Believe he was WBF or WBU heavyweight champion hard though it is to believe

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 am

£10 if you can name the current holder (without looking it up)...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 am

Union Cane wrote:£10 if you can name the current holder (without looking it up)...

Is it me?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:14 am

Is it Rowley?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:14 am

Kali Meehan?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:16 am

Tenner's in the post Scott...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:50 am

Technical draw after neither throws a punch for 12 rounds.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryMabbuttYidLegend Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:53 am

fearlessBamber wrote:Technical draw after neither throws a punch for 12 rounds.
OK

GaryMabbuttYidLegend

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 am

didn't Holyfield win the WBF belt when he fought Botha?

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:08 am

rowley wrote:Believe he was WBF or WBU heavyweight champion hard though it is to believe

Forget Haye-Klitschko, the most anticipated Heavyweight clash of recent times was Nelson versus TBA for the WBU belt.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:10 am

He won the WBF title from Jimmy Thunder in 1993.

Jimmy Thunder.

Rolling Eyes
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 am

Jimmy Thunder has one of the quickest knockouts I've ever seen. Literally walked over and knocked the other guy out.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 am

Whatever. Despite having a slew of bums on his record I would still say that Nelson has the better Cruiserweight legacy thank Kaye who fought just 2 world title fights, Nelson defended 14 times.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:15 am

Scottrf wrote:Jimmy Thunder has one of the quickest knockouts I've ever seen. Literally walked over and knocked the other guy out.

That's the feller, I've always rated him to be honest, great fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y6kog5RJKY
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 am

Nelson does have a comparable record to Haye at Cruiserweight. In fact his record at heavyweight is comparable.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:23 am

Haye went to the backyard of THE man at Cruiserweight and knocked him out, worth more than eight or nine of Nelson's utterly awful defences. He then unified against a man who Nelson wanted no part of, choosing to retire instead.

The backlash against Haye here is amazing. Not to diminish Nelson's achievements, which were considerable, but Haye clearly outdoes him, be it north or south of 200 lb.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:28 am

In Nelson's defence Chris he was injured for the Macarinelli fight, personally couldn't see him ducking Enzo because realise I'll get dogs abuse for this but even at the tail end of his career would have backed Johnny to turn Enzo over. Totally agree though that to claim Nelson has a better ledger at 200 than Haye is a bit silly, irrespective of how briefly Haye was in the division. One proved he was the man at the weight one did not come close.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:36 am

Rowley, Nelson actually beat Carl Thompson though Laugh and has a creditable draw against Guillermo Jones who I see as beating Haye at cruiser.

I can't get passed the fact that Haye only won two fights at world level and he's been falsely lauded as a cruiserweight "great" by his now dejected fans. 🤦

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 am

Super there was nothing creditable about Nelson's draw with Jones. I was at the fight and giving him a draw was an absolute gift for Johnny, to most eyes he lost the fight fairly clearly. Should probably add though that I believe Jones lost a drug test after which offers mitigation but the result on the night was very kind to Johnny.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:42 am

Super D Boon wrote:Rowley, Nelson actually beat Carl Thompson though Laugh and has a creditable draw against Guillermo Jones who I see as beating Haye at cruiser.

I can't get passed the fact that Haye only won two fights at world level and he's been falsely lauded as a cruiserweight "great" by his now dejected fans. 🤦

I'd say that owes more to how historically poor the Cruiserweight division has nearly always been, rather than being an indictment of Haye's supporters. The division is over thirty years old, and in those thirty-odd years there have only been three or four men who have actually held more than one belt in it at the same time.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:48 am

Agree Rowley that Nelson was given a gift, but seeing as I reckon Jones could beat Haye at cruiser as well I'm not sold on the idea that Haye is that much better than Nelson if at all. I'm also not very confident that Haye's best wins at cruiser (ie. Mormeck and Maccarinelli, Fragomeni) would beat Nelson either.

Haye won more belts and proved his worth as the definitive cruiser but it's 2 vs 14 is where the "better legacy" issue is debatable for me. Either way, not going to argue anymore but I don't think Haye beating Nelson or Haye having a better ledger is all that clear cut.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 am

88Chris05 wrote:Haye went to the backyard of THE man at Cruiserweight and knocked him out, worth more than eight or nine of Nelson's utterly awful defences. He then unified against a man who Nelson wanted no part of, choosing to retire instead.

The backlash against Haye here is amazing. Not to diminish Nelson's achievements, which were considerable, but Haye clearly outdoes him, be it north or south of 200 lb.

The man ? Mormeck ? Pfft. What age was he when Haye beat him ? 38 / 39. Anyway he's a blown up light heavy really.

Nelson easily dealt with Thompson. A younger Thomson than the one that destroyed Haye the prosepct. The 'Entertainer' has far more strength in depth than Haye in his Cruiserweight ledger and that awful draw with DeLeon in a performance that would have made Haye proud.

With Haye it's always his 'ability' / 'potential'. Well I don't buy it. Wins over Mormeck and that bloke who trained with Calzaghe don't add up to much. He's a fraud.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 am

Bamber if you're going to sit on the fence all the time there is little point you using the forum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:55 am

rowley wrote:Bamber if you're going to sit on the fence all the time there is little point you using the forum.

Smile In my defence I've been consistently sitting on the fence regarding that abrasive young man.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 am

Fact is though, Bamber, Haye proved himself the best in the division. Nelson didn't. Mormeck is no world beater, but to deny that he was anything other than very much the top dog at 200 lb before Haye beat him would be ridiculous. And let's be honest, there were times when Thompson was far more hurt against Haye than he ever was against Nelson, it was an absolutely shocking stoppage, though I'll concede that's beside the point a little.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 am

You don't think Haye should have been stopped?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 am

Scottrf wrote:You don't think Haye should have been stopped?

Maybe I didn't word it all that well, but I meant the Thompson-Nelson stoppage was a shocker, not Haye-Thompson.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:44 am

sittingringside wrote:didn't Holyfield win the WBF belt when he fought Botha?
Nah mate, he got the WBF from inside a Christmas cracker...FACT

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:24 am

Haye but if Nelson went into survival and counter mode which i suspect he would he could have caused Haye more than a problem, Haye's stamina is shocking imo when throwing punches as well, so would be interesting, but just don't see Nelson winning, Haye was a good cruiser, in a terrible division, but that isn't his fault.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:27 am

Young_Towzer wrote:Haye but if Nelson went into survival and counter mode which i suspect he would he could have caused Haye more than a problem, Haye's stamina is shocking imo when throwing punches as well, so would be interesting, but just don't see Nelson winning, Haye was a good cruiser, in a terrible division, but that isn't his fault.

I think shocking is slightly harsh, considering he has gone the distance with Wladimir Klitschko sticking a jab in his face at every opportunity.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:30 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:Haye but if Nelson went into survival and counter mode which i suspect he would he could have caused Haye more than a problem, Haye's stamina is shocking imo when throwing punches as well, so would be interesting, but just don't see Nelson winning, Haye was a good cruiser, in a terrible division, but that isn't his fault.

I think shocking is slightly harsh, considering he has gone the distance with Wladimir Klitschko sticking a jab in his face at every opportunity.

Never threw enough punches, walking into a jab frustrates you more than anything else, i've been outboxed before, it's throwing, and missing that burns the stamina imo, taking big shots obviously but not a jab so much

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:35 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:You don't think Haye should have been stopped?

Maybe I didn't word it all that well, but I meant the Thompson-Nelson stoppage was a shocker, not Haye-Thompson.

I think he should, Nelson absolutely schooled him, he was over aggressively just walking into every shot in the book

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 am

Fists of Fury wrote:

I don't think his stamina is shocking, (Probably better than mine!) But I think he has a mental block on his stamina, after the Thompson fight look at how he rarely goes all out attacking anymore worried he will burn himself out again, just happy to sit and pick his opportunities, sadly not enough against Wlad. Even watch the Ruiz fight, how many times people were saying he was being "Outjabbed" fact is, he wasn't throwing anything and walking into the jab because A.) He didn't fear it to much B.) He didn't want to waste energy and wanted to take a breather every 2 rounds.
Relies on his big "Hayemaker" too much to get himself out of trouble when the walls are caving in and someone begins to open up on him he unleashes it, unlucky for him how often does Wlad ever open up?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down