The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise.

+9
Feckless Rogue
Sin é
rodders
MBTGOG
HammerofThunor
red_stag
nottins_jones
caoimhincentre
Biltong
13 posters

Go down

Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise. Empty Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise.

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

Jonah Lomu reckons Ireland are the dark horses for the RWC.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/rugby-world-cup/news/110715/Lomu_tips_Ireland_to_surprise

Do you agree?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise. Empty Re: Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise.

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Irelands aging team? not sure if thats a fair assessment to be honest. an aweful lot of players under 27 willl be starting for ireland.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise. Empty Re: Joanh Lomu fancies Ireland to surprise.

Post by nottins_jones Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

I disagree. They seem incapable of beating France.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:54 am

Aging team? Tired stereotype. Its no older than any other team.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

nottins_jones wrote:I disagree. They seem incapable of beating France.

The french might not come into the equation. either way i dont think ireland will do it Crying or Very sad

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

They might not. But if you can't beat France how do you expect to beat Aus, SA or NZ...

Actually my dream scenario is for Ireland and Wales to top their pools then meet in a quarter final, I think that's how it will pan out anyway. Smile
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

All teams are aging. It's one of the facts of life.

All he says is a lot of the Irish players are coming to the end of their careers. Maybe not a lot not a fair few key players will probably have their last World Cup. It was the article writer who used the term "aging"

the most shocking thing is that he refered to the Fijians as Polynesians Shocked I thought they were Melanesian?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

nottins_jones wrote:They might not. But if you can't beat France how do you expect to beat Aus, SA or NZ...

Actually my dream scenario is for Ireland and Wales to top their pools then meet in a quarter final, I think that's how it will pan out anyway. Smile

The same could be said for all 6 nations teams (bar france) cant beat NZ. England can beat Ireland, Wales can't beat and SH team, Aus struggle against NZ.

every team seem to have a boggy team

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

Ireland can't beat France or NZ but they do ok agains SA and Aus
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

red_stag wrote:Ireland can't beat France or NZ but they do ok agains SA and Aus

Yeah at home. Ireland has never beaten SA at home, in fact not too fond of travelling there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

biltongbek wrote:

Yeah at home. Ireland has never beaten SA at home, in fact not too fond of travelling there.

Thats why SA would be favourites. However the things that happened in the 1950s and 1960s have no bearing. SA would be favourties if they met but I think Ireland could win.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

Of course they can win, they have been earning that belief, even if it was at home.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm

biltongbek wrote:Of course they can win, they have been earning that belief, even if it was at home.

Its a stepping stone process. If they win the test series over France this summer (which I think they could) they gather a LOT of confidence.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

Ireland are playing France in a world cup warm up?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

nottins_jones wrote:Ireland are playing France in a world cup warm up?

Twice and also England and Scotland.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

nottins_jones wrote:They might not. But if you can't beat France how do you expect to beat Aus, SA or NZ...

If they both top their groups they won't play each other in a quarter final.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

I do agree with Jonah and I disagree that we can't beat France. In fact the only team that I don't belive we can beat if we play well is NZ.

Unfortunately I don't have faith in our management to get our selection and tactics right and utilise the bench and squad effectively. We also have a habit of making silly individual errors and not taking the right option a times so the likelyhood of us stringing 3 or 4 top performances together, which is what we will need, is highly unikely.

I actually think the real dark horses are Wales. They have a fantastic squad of players and no one really expects them to do anything, even their own fans.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

biltongbek wrote:

SA won't be at home in NZ though! And as Lomu said, NZ climate will suit us.

Not sure why Ireland don't travel to SA more - possibly because of being able to get 2/3 tests against NZ & Aus. rather than just 2 against the Springboks maybe and then their is an added difficulty of altitude as well?

Some of the same issues with Argentina - we don't go there much either.

Don't know why everyone is getting in a twist about the Ireland team aging - most of Ireland's iconic players have hit their 30s (BOD, D'Arcy, POC, DOC, ROG, Wally). Maybe we will have a new, younger crop of iconic players after the RWC!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

="Sin éNot sure why Ireland don't travel to SA more - possibly because of being able to get 2/3 tests against NZ & Aus. rather than just 2 against the Springboks maybe and then their is an added difficulty of altitude as well?

We normally play 3 tests before the Tri Nations, so that can't be it.

Perhaps, that confidence they have been building, will dissipate at altitude?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

I believe that Ireland have a 3 Test Series to South Africa in either 2014 or 2016, I can't remember which.

Also, that last time Ireland played a Test Series in South Africa, we weren't exactly humiliated losing 31-17 and 26-17 to a team that was about to go on and win the Tri-Nations.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm

MBTGOG wrote:I believe that Ireland have a 3 Test Series to South Africa in either 2014 or 2016, I can't remember which.

Also, that last time Ireland played a Test Series in South Africa, we weren't exactly humiliated losing 31-17 and 26-17 to a team that was about to go on and win the Tri-Nations.

Plus Ireland are better now than then
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

I'm not surprised he said he'd formed this opinion based on watching Leinster. They were brilliant last year. But Ireland weren't. Is everyone forgetting that Ireland have only played one good game in the last 18 months?

If we play like we did against England, we have a chance of beating anyone. But Ireland haven't strung two good performances together since 2009, let alone the 6 or so performances you need to win a World Cup.

Can't wait for the world cup, but as it stands I'm not that optimistic about our chances. I hope I'm wrong.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Is everyone forgetting that Ireland have only played one good game in the last 18 months?

Yeah Feckless but the important thing is that the good one was the last one....and as the old saying goes "you're only as good as your last game" Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm

roddersm wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:Is everyone forgetting that Ireland have only played one good game in the last 18 months?

Yeah Feckless but the important thing is that the good one was the last one....and as the old saying goes "you're only as good as your last game" Wink

Ahahahaha like a "quit while youre ahead" kind of thing!!

Last edited by Boyne on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

I like Lomu and I think he likes it in Ireland as he seems to be here a lot and often says good things about the place. Anyways I reckon Ireland will get to the semis.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

Bill what are your thoughts on Irelands chances. Also my local shop in Dublin now stocks Billtong. Would you recommend it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Leinsterbaby there's a good Saffa butcher that sells borewors on Parnell St-I live in D1 so go there a lot. Bloody fatty stuff but oh so good.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:53 pm

What's the name of it. I am very near Parnell St right now with time to kill.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Not sure but if you walk past Tesco going towards Smithfields it's covered in a blue tarp. Think it's a block further than that.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 15 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

Jonah also backed himself to make the ABs in 2007. Not taking anything away from the man, just saying perhaps he used up all of his RWC judgement in 1995 scoring those four tries in 15 minutes against England.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down