The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side

5 posters

Go down

If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side Empty If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

They'll have Fabinisky and Szczenzcy in Goal who i like the look of and will continue to improve

They'll have Vermealen, Djournou, Koscielny and Vertonghen as their main CB's pretty strong with Miguel and Squallachi as cover.

Then left back we'll have Vertonghen and Gibbs, RB Sanga, Eboube and Jenkinson

DM Song, Fripong and Vertonghen
Midfield, Fab, Nasri, Wiltshire, Ramsey, Diaby
Wings, Arshavin, Gervinho, Walcott, Nasri,
FW RVP, Chamack - And ONE OTHER

I think that looks like a pretty good squad which should compete in most competitions...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side Empty Re: If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side

Post by monty junior Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

Will they actually spend the 15 odd million it will take to buy Vertongen though? i would be surprised. I still don't understand why they dont save themselves a few points over the season by buying a decent goalie, they could probably get Gordon from Sunderland for about 3 million, who when fit is fantastic.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side Empty Re: If Arsenal buy Vertonghen then they'll have a pretty good side

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 16 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

IMO Fabinasky and in particular Szczenzcy played really well last year, and improved significantly towards the end before their injuries.

I think they are already better than Gordon and will continue to improve

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

I think they need a good keeper as well. Can not rely on Fabianski and Szczenzcy at the moment. I really thought they would have snapped up Given on a free or something or gone for Jaskelienen. You will only get a couple of years out of them, but they would be good solid years which could save you around 6 points a season.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

I think last season was the time to get someone like Given or Jaskelienen, I would have loved either to be honest, and would have meant that our experienced keeper was much better than Almunia. It would probably as you say won us the title.

But I still think this season both keepers are going to come on leaps and bounds, and if we can get another defender to strengthen our defence, I think they could really show people how good they can be.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

I agree that Arsenal need a new keeper too, even though they looked good enough last term, it has been a perennial issue for Arsenal...why not just remove all doubt that a goalie is to blame for the shortcomings?

I don't know if you need another CF. I'm guessing Wenger will play with just one up top in which case the two you have will do, and Gervinho/Arshavin/Walcott can play there too if required.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Sodhat - we tried playing Arshavin upfront before and his form really suffered as he's blantantly not a stiker - he's an Attacking Midfielder/Winger, and I get the feeling Gervinho maybe the same, or at least isn't an out and out striker - Walcott could play up front, and i'd like to see him play there, but not on his own. So the only players we have who can play up fron in the 4-3-3 formation we use is RVP and Chamack (and maybe Vela), and RVP is notoriously injury prone.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

Good points, RVP would do well to last the season!

Have you gotten shot of Bendtner yet or is he still around as a squad player?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:43 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I think last season was the time to get someone like Given or Jaskelienen, I would have loved either to be honest, and would have meant that our experienced keeper was much better than Almunia. It would probably as you say won us the title.

But I still think this season both keepers are going to come on leaps and bounds, and if we can get another defender to strengthen our defence, I think they could really show people how good they can be.

Yeh agree with that. I mean, im a Stoke fan so we are not what they call a "massive club", but i love watching Arsenal play. I think its ridiculous the amount of stick Wenger gets etc when its down to the players as well. If you keep Fab and Nasri and like you say, bring in a quality defender/striker to partner the likes of Van Persie or Vermahlen then i defo see Arsenal mounting a challenge next season as always, and hopefully you can bag some silverware to shove the criticism back down peoples throats. Good luck next term and look forward to seeing your boys at the Britannia thumbsup

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

It really annoys me when people criticise Wenger for not winning the league when managers have spent far in excess of him and been battling relegation. Also look at Man U they've just spent £50m + on some unproven players, and they've just won the league - I don't think Wenger has ever spent that in 1 season, yet has rebuilt the side around 3 times.

But I do agree he's made quite a few mistakes and think the level of anger he gets is down to the fact that we are so close to winning almost everything, and just don't make it - sometimes because of easily fixed problems.

Fingers crossed this season we can win something as you say, and then i think it will be onwards and upwards.

Things sound good for Stoke and I think you'll have a good season (though you're not my fav side ;p)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 18 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

Yeh we are doing okay these days, hopefully next season we can push on into a top 10 club, will take some work though. But yeh i agree with your points. I mean Liverpool spent £57 million on caroll and suarez in Jan and finished 5th or 6th or whatever. Chelsea spend gazillions as do Man City and they scrape 4th 2nd etc. Arsenal spend next to nothing and still manage to be up there come end of the season. Few big signings will be the difference. I honestly believe you could spend £20 million max and win the league for the next 3 years. You have a class team who are by far the most technically gifted in the Premiership. Just young and naive at the moment and need that little bit of experience. Good luck though next year, good rivalry Smile

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

Sodhat - we haven't got rid of him yet unfortunately - but if you believe the press he's meant to be in Germany in discussions with Hamburg (apparently Dortmund didn't want 'one of the best strikers in the world'), Everton also want him, but only on loan.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:17 am

I think the problems for Arsenal generally stem from a lack of grit at the back. They always used to have the likes of Adams, Keown etc at CB and then Petit or Viera covering in midfield. Those guys commanded respect and tackled hard. Where are the like for like replacements? Arsenal plays a great passing game but when under pressure need the tough players to lead the defensive effort and get the attackers some ball to work with. A big authoritive centre back and a tough tackling defensive midfielder are needed.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

I agree but Vermaelen fits the bill - and I'm hoping Djournou will develop into a player like that (but one that can play the ball), or we buy Samba/Cahill. But I think out problems defensively are to do with our shape as much as the players - how exposed the LB/RB's are and then how exposed that leaves the CB's and how exposed it leaves the GK to dangerous crosses.

I think if we counter attacked better with pace then this disorganisation at the back would be offset as we'd have players in position to attack and more often score once we tackle at the back.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Sodhat - we haven't got rid of him yet unfortunately - but if you believe the press he's meant to be in Germany in discussions with Hamburg (apparently Dortmund didn't want 'one of the best strikers in the world'), Everton also want him, but only on loan.

Haha, you have to admire the confidence of a man who can say he is one of the best in the world and then go and sky a sitter over the bar!

Loan may not be a bad option though -- get some good PL experience at Everton who desperately need forwards, he comes back with a higher value and maybe confidence (if he needs more) to play for Arsenal.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

But I think out problems defensively are to do with our shape as much as the players - how exposed the LB/RB's are and then how exposed that leaves the CB's and how exposed it leaves the GK to dangerous crosses.

A good defensive midfielder helps cut out those counter attacking moves and goes to support the full backs allowing the centre backs to retain their structure. Makalele was awesome for Chelsea doing just that and look at Barca they normall have a Mascherano or somebody reinforcing their back four and pressurising the ball. At the minute there's a lot of room between the Arsenal midfield and the back four. Indcidentally I think Cahill would be idea as the new CB you need. Would combine well with Vermalean (if he's ever fit).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:46 pm

Good point Sodhat - although I feel that he'll never be good enough for a Top 4/5/6 team but would operate well for more mid table teams, or say in the Bundersliga (not Bayern or Schakle though). and as a result would rather get the money so we can buy a new striker.

True Sam, I think we do miss Viera - but he was more a box to box midfielder and when we tried to use Song as just a DM to sit and break up play, when ever he played it to the other midfielders they were swamped as the opposition knew they could ignore Song as he wouldn't attack. Whereas Wenger started to encourage Song to come forward and swap with Wiltshire (one would drop as the other came forward), and it suprised quite a few teams and Song scored quite a few.

So it's difficult to get the balance right...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down