The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History???

+6
emack2
rhino-dragon
bedfordwelsh
welshy824
Shifty
maestegmafia
10 posters

Go down

Greatest centres

Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap6%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap6%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap10%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap0%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap32%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 10 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap0%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap10%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap3%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_lcap13%Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 31

Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Empty Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History???

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:30 pm

There have been some clever, some pact, some intelligent, some ruthless and cunning.

But who were, or are the best in the business...?

Bunce and Little - nz mid 90s

Greenwood and Tindall - England 03

Dawes and Gibson - lions 71

Japie Mulder and Hennie le Roux - SA 95 RWC

John Leslie and Alan Tait - scotland late 90s

Tim Horan and Jason Little - Aussie early nineties

Dr Jack and Bleddyn Williams - Wales and Lions 1950s - link below

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/brendangallagher/2293696/Dr-Jack-Matthews-Bleddyn-Williams-are-heroes.html

Emile Ntamack and Richard Dourthe - France late nineties

Will Carling and Jerry Guscott - England late eighties early nineties

Philippe Sella and Denis Charvet - France late eighties

Rob Henderson and Brian O'Driscoll - Ireland and lions circa 2001

Warwick Taylor and Joe Stanley - kiwis eighties

T Umaga and A Mauger - kiwis mid noughties

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Empty Re: Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History???

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

Apologies for posting Dr Jack and Bleddyn Williams twice. An error of cut and Paste I am affraid.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History??? Empty Re: Who are the greatest Center Pairing in Rugby History???

Post by Shifty Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

I'm Welsh but I went for Carling and Guscott, they were brilliant in their day.
Though I think Gibbs and Guscott in the 1993 and 1997 Lions tours were better still.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

oh wheres henson and hi ego????

but in all seriousness what about nonu and smith? surely that is one of the best center parternships in modern times?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:52 pm

If you want to add anyone ask a moderator to kindly add them in a nice way and they may oblidge.

I certainly don't mind.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:55 pm

I have gone for Horan and Little as thought they were pretty much untouchable in 90's. Again there are better individual centres on the leist such as Gibson, Grrenwood, Sella and Bunce but think Horan and Little were best combo
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

Bunce and Little for me everytime.

A bit surprised Darcy and Bod aren't mentioned.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:57 pm

Davies and Butterfield for England 1950`s

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

rhino-dragon wrote:Bunce and Little for me everytime.

I thought bod and Henderson as lions and Irishmen had acheived more

And were better.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:05 pm

how about Gravell and Fenwick
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 15 Jul 2011, 10:23 pm

Some good suggestions...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

Gordon D'Arcy and Brian O'Driscoll have now exceeded the previous world record for a test match centre pairing (45 tests) - formerly held by Jezzabel and Carling.

Bunce and Little were the best I saw in my era but with my cycloptic vision firmly fixed, I voted for Tait and Leslie, as it reminds me with a lump in my throat of a time when we had a centre pairing that I didn't dread receiving the ball... Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 17 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
rhino-dragon wrote:Bunce and Little for me everytime.

I thought bod and Henderson as lions and Irishmen had acheived more

And were better.

Nonsence BOD and Henderson didn't play much together at all. Maggs and D'arcy played far more games with O'Driscoll and when you take into account BOD and D'arcy's Leinster partnership they are definitely one of the best partnerships in modern times.

Horan and Herbert and Bunce and Little were two of the best for me. Gibbs and Gusgott were a very good partnership twice for the lions as were Gibbs and Bateman. Nonu and Smith are hard to beat too.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 17 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

Erm...no shout for the most creative international combo...

Jaime Noon and Mike Tindall??

Seriously though, Horan and Little for me. Absolutely class combo.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down