The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...?

+9
Rugby Spectator
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
Sin é
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
maestegmafia
13 posters

Go down

Greatest Back Three

Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap7%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap20%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 9 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap7%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 3 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap4%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap0%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap9%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap0%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap2%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap44%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 20 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_lcap2%Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 45

Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Empty Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...?

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:38 am

What are your thoughts, who were the finest try mongers.

So many wonderful talents to discuss.

Here are a few suggestions.

Jean Baptiste Lafond, Serge Blanco and Phillipe St Andre - France early 90s

John Bevan, JPR Williams and Gerald Davies - Lions and Wales Early 70s

Joe Roff, Ben Tune and Matthew Burke - Aussies RWC 99

Caleb Ralph, Christian Cullen and Doug Howlett - All Blacks Early 2000's

Andre Campaes, Roland Bertranne and Jack Cantoni - France Early to Mid 70s

Ben Cohen, Jason Robinson and Josh Lewsey - England RWC 03

Jonah Lomu and Glen Osborne and Jeff Wilson - ABs RWC 95

Christophe Dominici, Xavier Garbajosa and Philippe Bernat-Salles - France Late 90s

Tana Umaga, Jeff Wilson and Jonah Lomu - circa 1999-2000

T Underwood, MJ Catt and R Underwood - England Mid 90s

Jeff Wilson, Christian Cullen and Jonah Lomu - ABs Late 90s

Drew Mitchell, Adam Ashley-Cooper and James O'Connor - Aussies 2010

David Campese, Marty Roebuck and Bob Egerton - Ausies RWC 91

Patrice Lagisquet, Serge Blanco and Didier Camberabero - France Late 80s

JP Pietersen, François Steyn and Bryan Habana - SA 2009 Tri Nations winners

Cory Jane, Mils Muliaina and Joe Rokocoko - ABs 2010 Tri Nats Winners

Simon Halliday, Jon Webb and Rory Underwood - England Early 90s

Fitzgerald, Kearney and Bowe Ireland 2009 GS

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Empty Re: Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...?

Post by rodders Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

Lomu, Cullen and Wilson were the best I've seen although Burke/Larkham, Roff and Tune were a fantastic combo too, as is the current AB back 3.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...? Empty Re: Who were or are "The Greatest Back Three" ever to play the game...?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:56 am

Dominici and Bernat-Salles were great wingers but I was never a fan of Xavier Garbajosa. If Serge Blanco had still been around, that would have been some back three.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:58 am

Good Call RoddersM

They were sublime, I was always a big fan of the French Back three's from the 70s onwards. Wonderful skills great pace and an attitude to give it a go from anywhere at any time no matter who the opposition were.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

This one was harder that I thought especially when I read the choices.

I have gone for the Welsh Combo of Bevan Williams and Davies becuase I would have JPR and Gerald in by 'Best XV' of anytime and think both would have made it in any era.

There are however some great combos on that list Roff Tune and Burke were pretty special and any back 3 that has Blanco in it would be worth the admission fee alone.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:What are your thoughts, who were the finest try mongers.

Howlett & Cullen have the best try ratios per game (0.79 tries per game each).

Lomu was 0.58 tries per game.
Jeff Wilson was 0.66 tries per game.

Howlett is 5th in the all-time try scoring record (49 tries in 62 games)
Cullen is 6th (46 tries in 68 games).
Lomu is 16th (37 tries in 63 games)
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

I think that Cullen, Wilson and my Aunt Doris would still on average probably be the best back three ever.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

Sin I agree Howlett was and still is a sensational player but what made the Cullen, Wilson, Lomu so awesome was that all three were in their prime in 1996-7. They were just incredible and created so many tries for the players around them too. Wilson must have had a hand in a 3rd of Cullens tries.

The balance of pace, power and skill was just perfect and thats why this was the best of the many awesome AB back 3's I've watched in the past 15/16 years.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Easily Wilson, Lomu and Cullen for me. Getting up in the morning to watch those three in the Tri-Nations brings back fond memories.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

Sin é wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:What are your thoughts, who were the finest try mongers.

Howlett & Cullen have the best try ratios per game (0.79 tries per game each).

Lomu was 0.58 tries per game.
Jeff Wilson was 0.66 tries per game.

Howlett is 5th in the all-time try scoring record (49 tries in 62 games)
Cullen is 6th (46 tries in 68 games).
Lomu is 16th (37 tries in 63 games)

That is quite a fantastic feat.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

"Wilson, Lomu and Cullen "

Frightening combination, with two guys that get into the serious discussions for best ever in their positions and the very under-rated Wilson. Good thing for the rest of the international rugby world that they were stars that burned brightly but not for all that long.

I'd say Latham was a better FB than Burke, so Latham, Roff and Tune would be well up there amongst the next best, as would the Welsh 1970s one and Blanco, St Andre + AN Other. The recent ABs combination is also well up the list.

Even as an England fan, I think our 2003 combination doesn't belong in such exalted company (was solid to good, with Robinson providing that bit of genius), and as for Underwood x 2 + My cat, or Webb, Halliday + Rory, I assume these were simply included for WUM value because of how effectively they were beaten by Lomu and Hastings / Stanger respectively.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

roddersm wrote:Sin I agree Howlett was and still is a sensational player but what made the Cullen, Wilson, Lomu so awesome was that all three were in their prime in 1996-7. They were just incredible and created so many tries for the players around them too. Wilson must have had a hand in a 3rd of Cullens tries.

The balance of pace, power and skill was just perfect and thats why this was the best of the many awesome AB back 3's I've watched in the past 15/16 years.

I was answering a specific question as to who scored the most tries - Cullen & Howlett have the best try scoring ratios (against top tier nations - the Japanese winger probably has a better ratio).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

Sin é wrote:
roddersm wrote:Sin I agree Howlett was and still is a sensational player but what made the Cullen, Wilson, Lomu so awesome was that all three were in their prime in 1996-7. They were just incredible and created so many tries for the players around them too. Wilson must have had a hand in a 3rd of Cullens tries.

I was answering a specific question as to who scored the most tries - Cullen & Howlett have the best try scoring ratios (against top tier nations - the Japanese winger probably has a better ratio).

Actually Cullens is 46 in 58. Poor old Jeff Wilson only managed 44 in 60... Whistle

Chris Ashton needs to be mentioned then too.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

Gerald Davies scored 20 tries in 46 games which may not seem a lot compared to the Cullen and Co but bearing in mind how few games they played back in that era it's still pretty good.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Actually Cullens is 46 in 58. Poor old Jeff Wilson only managed 44 in 60... Whistle

Chris Ashton needs to be mentioned then too.....

Sorry typo - Cullen's ratio is still 0.79 per game.

Jeff Wilson's ratio is 0.73.

Ashton hasn't played more than 10 games yet - lets see what his ratio is like when he has played 30+!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Spectator Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Great to see so much agreement!

That back three of Lomu, Cullen and Wilson is easily the best of all time. Scoring tries for fun. Pace, power, creativity and exceptional lines being run all day long with those guys on the pitch!

Rugby Spectator

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 18 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

Rugby Spectator wrote:Great to see so much agreement!

That back three of Lomu, Cullen and Wilson is easily the best of all time. Scoring tries for fun. Pace, power, creativity and exceptional lines being run all day long with those guys on the pitch!

Agreed, the only argument against it was that the quality around them was exceptionally talented too, therefor they had more opportunity to score, given their skill, than if they were playing behind say for example the Japanese team...!

But credit where it is due, I think they were sublime in every aspect.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:14 am

I reckon:
Cullen = best 15 ever
Wilson = most rounded wing ever but may be not very best
Lomu = big strong fast limited player but not too bad
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:34 am

dummy_half wrote:"Wilson, Lomu and Cullen "

Frightening combination, with two guys that get into the serious discussions for best ever in their positions and the very under-rated Wilson. Good thing for the rest of the international rugby world that they were stars that burned brightly but not for all that long.

I'd say Latham was a better FB than Burke, so Latham, Roff and Tune would be well up there amongst the next best, as would the Welsh 1970s one and Blanco, St Andre + AN Other. The recent ABs combination is also well up the list.

Even as an England fan, I think our 2003 combination doesn't belong in such exalted company (was solid to good, with Robinson providing that bit of genius), and as for Underwood x 2 + My cat, or Webb, Halliday + Rory, I assume these were simply included for WUM value because of how effectively they were beaten by Lomu and Hastings / Stanger respectively.

Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:25 am

[quote="George Carlin"]
dummy_half wrote: Blanco, St Andre + AN Other.

Jean Baptiste Lafond, serge Blanco and Phillippe St. Andre.

dummy_half wrote:Even as an England fan, I think our 2003 combination doesn't belong in such exalted company (was solid to good, with Robinson providing that bit of genius), and as for Underwood x 2 + My cat, or Webb, Halliday + Rory, I assume these were simply included for WUM value because of how effectively they were beaten by Lomu and Hastings / Stanger respectively.

Actual Webb, Haliday and Underwood scored more points in the NH than any other combination in the early nineties. They also leaked less tries. They deserve to be there.

It has been difficult to construct these combos for the polls and have players everyone knows.

For example hardly anyone votes French, even though they have had some immense players. I thought that these polls would be closer than they are. But unfortunately one stand out unit appears to win every time.

I am amazed no one voted for David Campese, Marty Roebuck and Bob Egerton...

Is it really that long ago that players like that are forgotten???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 8:58 am

I first heard the term back three When Bernie Fraser.Allen Hewson,and Stu Wilson played for Wellington and the All Blacks.
From memory hewson was the goal kicker and a great counter attacker,but pants as a full back especiallyunder the high ball.
The three acted as both 3 wings and 3 full backs with some success.
As to the greatest that is a matter of opinion totally subjective and ultimately totally pointless because every one has there own opinion.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:03 am

nganboy wrote:I reckon:

Wow tough critic! I'm glad you're not my coach! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:37 am

Wasn't Wilson a dual international (Cricket) as well I think.

Personally think Kirwin was a better winger but as a combo then they were pretty good. I think National bias and age will come into these discussions a lot but they are great fun and for some of us older ones its great to see how lucky we have been to watch these combos.

MM,

Wil you put together a 'best of Team' from these votes, would be nice to see
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Wasn't Wilson a dual international (Cricket) as well I think.

Yeah, he also took some time away from rugby at his peak to play cricket or for personal reasons, does any one remember this?

He was a phenomonal player who unfortunately for him seemed to be overshadowed by Cullen and Lomu a bit, at least outside of NZ anyway. All 3 were simply amazing, you could pretty much guarantee at least one of them (usually Cullen) would score at least one try every game but usually more.

The interplay by Cullen and Wilson down that right wing was magical and with Lomu rampaging down the left or up the middle it was a pretty unstoppable combination.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

roddersm wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Wasn't Wilson a dual international (Cricket) as well I think.

Yeah, he also took some time away from rugby at his peak to play cricket or for personal reasons, does any one remember this?

He was a phenomonal player who unfortunately for him seemed to be overshadowed by Cullen and Lomu a bit, at least outside of NZ anyway. All 3 were simply amazing, you could pretty much guarantee at least one of them (usually Cullen) would score at least one try every game but usually more.

The interplay by Cullen and Wilson down that right wing was magical and with Lomu rampaging down the left or up the middle it was a pretty unstoppable combination.

Wilson actually went back to cricket at the end of his rugby career - he got a handful of ODIs before he made the All Blacks, then 1 or 2 games after retiring from rugby, but injuries cut short the 2nd stint in cricket. His wife was a top international netballer too - watch out for those kids.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

maestegmafia wrote:I am amazed no one voted for David Campese, Marty Roebuck and Bob Egerton...

Is it really that long ago that players like that are forgotten???

It wouldn't be that those players are forgotten, just that people think other back threes were better.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

Bob Egerton is a favourite of mine, but his international career was very short lived
http://www.sporting-heroes.net/rugby-heroes/displayhero.asp?HeroID=6113
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 20 Jul 2011, 1:28 am

roddersm wrote:
nganboy wrote:I reckon:

Wow tough critic! I'm glad you're not my coach! Very Happy

I'm that tough because I'm sitting on my butt at work on the internet. Very Happy
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down