The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aaron Pryor

2 posters

Go down

Aaron Pryor Empty Aaron Pryor

Post by Daz Wed 16 Feb 2011, 9:38 am

Morning Folks - my first thread since migrating from 606! Woop Woop!

I have recently been watching some old fights and decided to watch the rematch of Pryor / Arguello.

Cracking fight - with Pryor stopping Arguello towards the end of the fight.

I noticed that Pryor had Manny Steward in his corner. In the first fight - he was under the tutelage of Panama Lewis. What made Pryor change his trainer?

Was it anything to do with the water bottle issue? Alexis approached Pryor after the first fight and asked him if there was anything in there that would have given him an advantage - Pryor responded no. When Lewis was asked about it - he said it was a mixed of tap water and perrier water.

Since then someone (cant remember who) said that Lewis used to break up anti-histamines and put them in the water. This would increase the lung capacity of the reciepent - which would obviously come in handy towards the end of a gruelling fight.

My question is this - why did Pryor dump Lewis for Steward - was it anything to do with the water bottle or was it a change of tactics?

Cheers!
Dazstarr

Daz

Back to top Go down

Aaron Pryor Empty Re: Aaron Pryor

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 16 Feb 2011, 9:45 am

After fully admitting the full extent of his loaded gloves against Collins, Luis Resto gave a tell all interview and claimed that they'd used loaded gloves before as well as using anti-histamines, a nasty piece work was Panama Lewis.

We'll never know whether there's much truth in what Resto says but has always been a fight with much debate and had Arguello gone on to win which looked likely he'll have been pushed well up the rankings on the verge of the top ten. A real gentleman in and out of the ring, must have had his doubts but Pryors word was always good enough for him and he never moaned or complained just got on with it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 16 Feb 2011, 9:50 am

Thanks Ghosty

I can't believe some of the things the old timers used to do to get an advantage. Imagine the uproar if something like that happened again - like Margarito. Infact - i bet they will just get a 1 year ban and then carry on like nothing happened. Disgrace to the sport.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 16 Feb 2011, 9:51 am

i just noticed - we get an email notification when someone replies - nice touch.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down