The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Northern Ireland host the open?

+17
Shotrock
Davie
puligny
MustPuttBetter
sharrison01
super_realist
hend085
NedB-H
gaelgowfer
Diggers
drive4show
SmithersJones
JAS
WukFit
Mercurio
GunsGerms
Yadsendew
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can Northern Ireland host the open? - Page 2 Empty Can Northern Ireland host the open?

Post by Yadsendew Mon 18 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Following on from an earlier Diggers post, where the question of holding an Open (probably at Port Rush) was mentioned. Now I was doing a little research into the viability of this and yes, I know that you’re going to say that ‘the infrastructure is not there’. But, in my view I think that such a proposal is not that far off.

I believe 184,000 folk attended the St Georges venue; say an average 46,000 per day, now not all of these travelled by car, but for arguments sake let’s say 75% did with an average occupancy rate of 2 persons per car that makes 17,000 trips. The capacity of a conventional 7.3 metre road is about 1500 to 2000 passenger car units (pcu’s) per lane, per hour assuming free flow and relatively clear roads. I would suggest that with suitable traffic management measures together with good policing, particularly at arrival and exiting points, that the existing highway infrastructure may well already be there.

I understand that there is a mixture of good dual carriageways, decent single carriageway and some poor roads in the area, people will arrive early some later and some will be there for the duration. Yes, it would mean that the roads would be very busy particularly if everyone intended to arrive at the venue at the same time and yes there would, of course, need to be some improvements to the arterial highway network(s) especially where it bottle necks but this situation arises where and whenever an extraordinary event occurs especially in a rural environment within England, Scotland and Wales too. The above figures assume that all visitors will be using the same highway when in reality a large proportion will emanate locally.

Just my thoughts; I just don’t think that the infrastructure argument although valid is insurmountable especially where it relates to the highway and access issues.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Can Northern Ireland host the open? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Northern Ireland host the open?

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

I don't wish to start a political debate here but I hope for Northern Ireland's sake, it remains within the United Kingdom. Hosting an Open is an altogether different matter.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Can Northern Ireland host the open? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Northern Ireland host the open?

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

Gael, I'm pretty sure that the political debate is already in full flow!

Why do you think that it should remain with the United Kingdom - for security reasons with the unrest at the moment or because they are not well enough equipped to host The Open?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

Can you imagine how much a bag of chips would be at Portrush given the paucity of potatoes?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:24 am

Super, now that's not very nice and adds little over enticing an argument.

Don't drop to leinster's level - he just made a valid point on another thread and you come up with this - the world's turned upside down!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

Sorry,couldn't resist.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

SmithersJones wrote:Just to throw something of a spanner in the works, the Open championship is exactly that - Open to allcomers who meet the qualifying criteria. It's run by the R&A, which just happens to be based at St Andrews, but which is the ruling body for golf throughout the world except North America. It's definitely NOT the British Open, but it is the Open Championship of the Royal & Ancient. I'd suggest, then, that the Open championship could, in theory, be played anywhere outside the US & Mexico.

I disagree.

I have sight of a copy of a Patron's Agreement with the R&A and it contains the following:

The Patron shall have the right to use the terminology "The British Open Championship" when referring to the Event in the USA only, but shall whenever possible refer to the Event as "The Open Championship".

That clearly shows that The Open is 'British' regardless of its official title.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:Just to throw something of a spanner in the works, the Open championship is exactly that - Open to allcomers who meet the qualifying criteria. It's run by the R&A, which just happens to be based at St Andrews, but which is the ruling body for golf throughout the world except North America. It's definitely NOT the British Open, but it is the Open Championship of the Royal & Ancient. I'd suggest, then, that the Open championship could, in theory, be played anywhere outside the US & Mexico.

I disagree.

I have sight of a copy of a Patron's Agreement with the R&A and it contains the following:

The Patron shall have the right to use the terminology "The British Open Championship" when referring to the Event in the USA only, but shall whenever possible refer to the Event as "The Open Championship".

I think that's stretching it a little. To me that says 'If you septics must call it the British Open we'll tolerate it, but it's not really.'
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
Northern Ireland is NOT part of Great Britain.

End of.

Clearly a precedent has been set by it being held there before so we have to accept that at least in terms of what the "British" Open covers in a geographical nature it does include NI.

Once in 140 tournaments. That was clearly a mistake and you shouldn't compound a mistake by repeating it.

It's also ridiculous that the calls are coming just because someone from Northern Ireland won it (I believe this was a factor in the choice of Portrush in the 1950s). So, does the fact Englishmen rarely win it means it shouldn't take place in England. Illogical.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

SmithersJones wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

I disagree.

I think that's stretching it a little. To me that says 'If you septics must call it the British Open we'll tolerate it, but it's not really.'

That's ironic of you suggesting that's "stretching it a little" when you've suggested it's The "World's" Open despite the fact that it's never been played outside the United Kingdom.

What it says it is that although it's official title is not The 'British' Open it is the Open that is always (except for one blip) played in Britain.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

End of.

Clearly a precedent has been set by it being held there before so we have to accept that at least in terms of what the "British" Open covers in a geographical nature it does include NI.

Once in 140 tournaments. That was clearly a mistake and you shouldn't compound a mistake by repeating it.

It's also ridiculous that the calls are coming just because someone from Northern Ireland won it (I believe this was a factor in the choice of Portrush in the 1950s). So, does the fact Englishmen rarely win it means it shouldn't take place in England. Illogical.

Why was it a mistake ? Did something go wrong, was it not a success, was there uproar that it was held over there ? Genuinely dont know the answers but I dont really see why it would be classified as a mistake. If the R&A choose to accept the Open can be held in NI then thats up to them, the fact they are now talking at least about the possibility of doing so again suggests they certainly still feel NI is still covered.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:03 pm

Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

End of.

Why was it a mistake ? Did something go wrong, was it not a success, was there uproar that it was held over there ? Genuinely dont know the answers but I dont really see why it would be classified as a mistake. If the R&A choose to accept the Open can be held in NI then thats up to them, the fact they are now talking at least about the possibility of doing so again suggests they certainly still feel NI is still covered.

It was a mistake because Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

Who said it wasn't up to the R&A to choose where to play it?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

I disagree.

That's ironic of you suggesting that's "stretching it a little" when you've suggested it's The "World's" Open despite the fact that it's never been played outside the United Kingdom.

What it says it is that although it's official title is not The 'British' Open it is the Open that is always (except for one blip) played in Britain.

Except for one blip? How can you possibly think it was a 'blip'? Did it get played there by accident?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

I doubt the R&A are actually looking into it, they are under pressure to appear that they are giving it thought, but I don't think they want to extend the rota to more courses or have one of either Scotland or England have one fewer course on the rota.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
Except for one blip? How can you possibly think it was a 'blip'?

Good point. Playing The "British" Open outside of Britain is not so much a 'blip' as a 'Flip-up'.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Naughty Merc - trying to get around the swear filter. Not allowed you know...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
Diggers wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

End of.

It was a mistake because Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain.

Who said it wasn't up to the R&A to choose where to play it?

If its up to them how is it a mistake. Fair enough you can see it as a mistake but that doesnt make it an actual mistake in the sense saying 2+2=5 would be a mistake. If the R&A accepts NI is in their compass then thats their call. Whether it makes sense or is right to hold it there right now is a different argument.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

Diggers wrote:
If its up to them how is it a mistake. Fair enough you can see it as a mistake but that doesnt make it an actual mistake in the sense saying 2+2=5 would be a mistake. If the R&A accepts NI is in their compass then thats their call. Whether it makes sense or is right to hold it there right now is a different argument.

Just because they have the power to do something does not mean what they do is correct.

The facts show it was a mistake. The British Open was played outside of Britain. If it was regarded as the 'UK' Open it would have been correct, but it's not so it wasn't.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

So what if the term British happens to be covering the British people ? The inhabitants of NI are classified as British.
If the R&A wanted to they could call the Open anything they wanted to. Its just a name, they aren't governed in any way by politics. So they haven't made a mistake IMO.
The European Tour called there end of year bash a world championship...it certainly wasnt that.
They made a decision, one you happen to view as a mistake.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:00 pm

Would Ricky Fowler be allowed to wear his Oaklahoma Orange on a Sunday in July in Portrush?!!!!!

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

FFS - It is NOT the British Open. Just because they allow it to be referred to as such in the US, where 'The Open' is likely to be taken as a reference to the US Open, doesn't mean that's what it is. It is the Open Championship of the R&A. Just because they won't take it away from the British Isles doesn't mean they couldn't, in theory, do so. They have taken it away from the British mainland once, and may well do so again.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

What a totally pointless, futile argument bickering over the definition of GB, UK, Britain, British Isles.

How many times do we have to keep going over the same old ground?

The Open Championship should be played at the best venues that are capable of staging the event.

End of!

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

D4S, thank you for adding one of the very few sensible posts on this thread.

What an uninteresting debate about something where no-one has come anywhere near to offering an answer that is as good as the people that actually decide these things are offering. I guess that's why the people that make these decisions got to where they are, through actually coming up with a solution rather than debating petty differences...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

Mercurio wrote:
leinsterbaby wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
NedB-H wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
They'll be suggestions it should be played in Eire, next.
Unlikely, seeing as that's a separate country and the North isn't. And it's been played in the North before, and not the South.

Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain. It's part of the United Kingdom.

It's not known as The 'UK' Open. It's known as The 'British' Open*. The 'British' does not mean 'British Isles', otherwise Eire would host it. The 'British' refers to Great Britain and that's where it should only be played.

* I know it is officially actually called The Open before anyone passes comment.

NI, Scotland, Wales and England are all the same jurisdiction. Techicnally they of course are all the same country.

End of.
No. But Great Britain isn't a country. The UK is, and that includes GB and NI. Whereas Eire is a separate country. And there's nothing in the Open that says it can't be taken to all parts of the UK. The "British" is just an incorrect thing added on by easily confused Americans.

Do you not consider Faulkner a valid Open winner?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

I dont really see why this is an issue D4S. I dont agree with Mercurio but I can understand his point and I can see that it is actually golf related. So it falls under the title of the thread IMO. Nobody is getting offensive, its just a debate.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

I would love to see the Open played at Royal Portrush. While they may have to make some concessions to gate size, I strongly suspect the primary revenue comes from TV anyway. Nothing wrong with the courses the Open Championships are currently played on, but I would like to see it get to more/other venues that are capable of staging the event. One of the best parts of the US Open and the PGA Championship to me at least is to see all the varied venues.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Diggers

yes it is just a debate....with a massive dose of Groundhog Day included.

It's just going round..........and round..........and round.........and round........and round........

🤦

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Shotrock wrote:I would love to see the Open played at Royal Portrush. While they may have to make some concessions to gate size, I strongly suspect the primary revenue comes from TV anyway. Nothing wrong with the courses the Open Championships are currently played on, but I would like to see it get to more/other venues that are capable of staging the event. One of the best parts of the US Open and the PGA Championship to me at least is to see all the varied venues.

I would say that another major that rotates across a lot of courses is unnecessary. The Masters is fantastic because we all know the course and where the shots are lost/made. The Open works along this thinking if a venue is used often enough but the US and PGA could be just another tour event, all be it on a much tougher layout with different qualifying requirements.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

hend085 wrote:Would Ricky Fowler be allowed to wear his Oaklahoma Orange on a Sunday in July in Portrush?!!!!!

Heh!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:25 pm

SmithersJones wrote:FFS - It is NOT the British Open. Just because they allow it to be referred to as such in the US, where 'The Open' is likely to be taken as a reference to the US Open, doesn't mean that's what it is. It is the Open Championship of the R&A. Just because they won't take it away from the British Isles doesn't mean they couldn't, in theory, do so. They have taken it away from the British mainland once, and may well do so again.

Complete poppycock and goes against all the facts.

They would not allow it to be referred it as The British Open if it wasn't.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by bluefoxgolf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

To try and finish the geography lesson

Great Britain - the largest of the Isles of the British Isles

UK or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island - No further explanation required

British Isles - A group of over 6,000 Islands off the north west coast of mainland europe, of which Great Britain and Ireland are the 2 largest.

So whether or not it is The Open or the British Open it would be legitimate to hold it in any part of Ireland.

bluefoxgolf

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:FFS - It is NOT the British Open. Just because they allow it to be referred to as such in the US, where 'The Open' is likely to be taken as a reference to the US Open, doesn't mean that's what it is. It is the Open Championship of the R&A. Just because they won't take it away from the British Isles doesn't mean they couldn't, in theory, do so. They have taken it away from the British mainland once, and may well do so again.

Merc

unfortunately, you can't control what people refer to other things as. Those 'mighty fine southern gennelmen' can't stop me referring to their little tournament as 'the Bobby Jones and his mates easter bash'

Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

Actually, I will concede on the point that citizens of the UK are referred to as 'British'. I think that's an error, but it is official.

I still don't want The Open to be played in Northern Ireland, mind.

Dear Mr Dawson

I shall be grateful if you give consideration to changing the name of The Open to The Great British Open . . .

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Gael, I'm pretty sure that the political debate is already in full flow!

Why do you think that it should remain with the United Kingdom - for security reasons with the unrest at the moment or because they are not well enough equipped to host The Open?

To protect the protestant population. We've already witnessed over and over again how useless the UN is when it comes to peacekeeping duties. So long as religion is used (and abused) to acquire power then Northern Ireland will remain vulnerable.

In so far as The Open is concerned, it really is for others more qualified than me to say whether or not RCD or RP would make suitable venues (the quality of the courses not being in question here) for a 21st century Open event. I can only offer my own observations having visited Portrush last year. After having seen how the police organised the traffic through Sandwich, I don't believe it would be anymore difficult to organise the traffic to RP (not been to RCD). The direct road to Belfast is excellent although it seems to me it would be too far to travel daily from an accommodation aspect which leaves trying to make use of whatever accommodation is available in and around Portrush itself. Someone has already very astutely pointed out that it would be quite wrong to build additional hotels etc if there wasn't going to be any great demand for them post Open Championship. Indeed, by way of example, isn't the Lough Erne resort just to the north of Portrush who, incidentally, sponsor 'the fairweather golfer', in the process of going belly up?

It is a a great shame because northern irish golf has more than earned its tilt at this event.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

drive4show wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

Merc

unfortunately, you can't control what people refer to other things as. Those 'mighty fine southern gennelmen' can't stop me referring to their little tournament as 'the Bobby Jones and his mates easter bash'

Laugh

They do control it in their Patron's Agreement.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:40 pm

gaelgowfer wrote: Indeed, by way of example, isn't the Lough Erne resort just to the north of Portrush

Errrr, I think that's Atlantis!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

Merc you've obviously got too much time on your hands mate thumbsup I will repeat what I posted on the other thread for clarity. As the data you've posted about traffic etc, is not the only issue. I watched Rory being interviewed at Wimbledon and he was asked about NI holding the Open. he replied that it could only really go to Port Rush, and it would not be for a few years as there was too much infrastructure that needed building. Adjoining land would need purchasing to facilitate the tented village and much more in the way of car parking, practice areas, hospitality areas and also a bit of work on the course to allow room for some stands.

Roads are not the only thing as somebody with cash needs to put their hands in their pockets, like Smurfitt did at the k Club to get the RC

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:58 pm

Mercurio wrote:
drive4show wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

Merc

Laugh

They do control it in their Patron's Agreement.

No, they say they'll put up with it in a particular part of the world where there's a similarly large tournament with a similar designation with which it might otherwise be confused. The passage you quoted says that it's called The Open Championship but you may refer to it as the British Open in the US. It couldn't be any clearer. It's therefore NOT called the British Open.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

With all due respect to young Rory, I doubt he's qualified to make a definitive statement on the infrastructure issue!

Here in the states the US Open in 2013 will be contested at Merion Golf Club. Talk about an infrastructure nightmare ... compact course in a neighborhood (VERY nice neighborhood mind you). They will need to build a very costly (millions I'm told) temporary bridge over one of the main roads and they will pretty much need to keep the fans in bleachers from holes 14 on. The defense of that course is primarily in the wiry rough, which becomes negated when trampled down by spectators. GREAT course, but that will be one event best viewed on TV unless you are in the ropes.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

Shotrock wrote:With all due respect to young Rory, I doubt he's qualified to make a definitive statement on the infrastructure issue!

And yet people on here are...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:06 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
No, they say they'll put up with it in a particular part of the world where there's a similarly large tournament with a similar designation with which it might otherwise be confused. The passage you quoted says that it's called The Open Championship but you may refer to it as the British Open in the US. It couldn't be any clearer. It's therefore NOT called the British Open.

I've never said it's official title was The British Open. I've said that it is The Open that belongs to Britain. It's certainly not the "World" Open as you've suggested!

Wimbledon is the tennis open that belongs to Britain/England, but it's called The Champions Wimbledon (or similar). It's exactly the same thing with The Open.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by bluefoxgolf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

I've never said it's official title was The British Open. I've said that it is The Open that belongs to Britain. It's certainly not the "World" Open as you've suggested!

Wimbledon is the tennis open that belongs to Britain/England, but it's called The Champions Wimbledon (or similar). It's exactly the same thing with The Open.

You cannot compare the two, the Wimbledon Championships do not belong to Britian they belong to Wimbledon and will continue to do so until they are moved to Milton Keynes!!

The Open Championship belongs not to Britian (and anyway there is no such place) but to the R&A who could choose to take it just about anywhere. The reason they have only taken it out of Grest Britain once is that there are very few quality links course outside that have the infrastructure.

bluefoxgolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:47 pm

bluefoxgolf wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

You cannot compare the two, the Wimbledon Championships do not belong to Britian they belong to Wimbledon and will continue to do so until they are moved to Milton Keynes!!

The Open Championship belongs not to Britian (and anyway there is no such place) but to the R&A who could choose to take it just about anywhere. The reason they have only taken it out of Grest Britain once is that there are very few quality links course outside that have the infrastructure.

What utter nonsense to suggest that there are no other links courses in the world that have the facilities/infrastructure to host an Open. The Open is British and will only be played on British courses. How anyone can seriously suggest otherwise is amazing.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

Ireland is full of quality links courses with the infrastructure. Portmarnock would be a perfect venue.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Mercurio wrote:
bluefoxgolf wrote:
Mercurio wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

What utter nonsense to suggest that there are no other links courses in the world that have the facilities/infrastructure to host an Open. The Open is British and will only be played on British courses. How anyone can seriously suggest otherwise is amazing.

First, he said very few, not none. Second, please try to understand the distinction between could and would/will. They COULD decide to host the Open on any links anywhere outside of the USGA's jurisdiction, should such a links course decide to apply and offer up a sufficiently attractive proposal. Presumably they WOULD do so if a disaster happened, like perhaps a cloud of poison gas engulfing the entire British Isles so preventing play anywhere that the Open's been held up to now. Failing that they have absolutely no reason to move, but that doesn't mean they couldn't.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:06 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

First, he said very few, not none. Second, please try to understand the distinction between could and would/will. They COULD decide to host the Open on any links anywhere outside of the USGA's jurisdiction, should such a links course decide to apply and offer up a sufficiently attractive proposal. Presumably they WOULD do so if a disaster happened, like perhaps a cloud of poison gas engulfing the entire British Isles so preventing play anywhere that the Open's been held up to now. Failing that they have absolutely no reason to move, but that doesn't mean they couldn't.

Do you not think that if there was a possibility of links courses from other countries being able to host The Open, then at least one of them would have applied by now?

The fact that the context in which you're talking about them moving is if there was a national disaster highlights how much nonsense you're talking. The fact that something 'could' happen does not mean it will happen or that it is ever intended for it to open.

I 'could' win the lottery.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by bluefoxgolf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

Mercurio wrote:[What utter nonsense to suggest that there are no other links courses in the world that have the facilities/infrastructure to host an Open. The Open is British and will only be played on British courses. How anyone can seriously suggest otherwise is amazing.

I accept that it is unlikley that the R&A would agree to move The open away from the British Isles, that is though different to saying that they could not. i would though love to see it played on any of the great irish links

bluefoxgolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

What would the yanks call it then?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

This is what Peter Dawson from the R&A said after the Open -

"I don't know yet until we've had another look at it, to be honest," added the R&A chief.

"The usual mixture of a great course and plenty of infrastructure, combined with a prospect of commercial success, is what's needed.

"No doubt about the golf course at Portrush, although there might be one or two things one would do, but the other two are what we have to look at.

"I don't want to start a hare running on this, other than we are going to take a closer look."

No mention of geograpghy being an issue. They are clearly considering it as an option, they clearly believe it could be held there again.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:24 pm

Still the "British Open" ... but with Yanks winning 16 times since 1980 we've proven to be able to solidly contend no matter where you host it ... Smile

C'mon ... Give Portrush a try ... Harrington, Clarke, McIlroy and McDowell deserve something for all their hard work taming the best in the world at Majors of late!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by bluefoxgolf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:25 pm

super_realist wrote:What would the yanks call it then?

The British Open Doh

bluefoxgolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next