The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu?

5 posters

Go down

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Daegu?

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Vote_lcap80%Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 8 ]
Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Vote_lcap20%Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 10

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Empty Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu?

Post by lsabre Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:29 pm

With debate raging all around over whether Britain's sprint golden hope Jodie Williams should compete or not in Daegu in August, what is your view over that? I guess there are two options available on that!

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Empty Re: Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu?

Post by azania Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:40 pm

lsabre wrote:With debate raging all around over whether Britain's sprint golden hope Jodie Williams should compete or not in Daegu in August, what is your view over that? I guess there are two options available on that!

If you're fast enough, you're old enough. The experience would do her good anyway.

azania

Back to top Go down

Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu? Empty Re: Should Jodie Williams compete at the World Champs in Deagu?

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 16 Feb 2011, 2:54 pm

I just second what azania says.

She'd gain from the experience, and as she's our best sprinter she should be going.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lsabre Sat 09 Apr 2011, 8:44 pm

Triple world 200m champion Allyson Felix praises Jodie William's talent and approach while also urges her not to let her age get in her way and go for it (Daegu).

"She should not let her age get in the way, just go for it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13019234.stm

lsabre

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 10 Apr 2011, 12:25 am

I seem to recall Mark Lewis Francis focusing on junior events. I suppose
we need to look at precedents - are there examples of other youngsters
competing at senior level and what happened to their longevity in the
sport. It seems to me that Britain have had quite a few young female
performers who retired in their early twenties for various reasons.

Basically I don't know what is best for her. If she is not being overtrained then I guess she should compete at the senior level.

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Mon 11 Apr 2011, 9:02 pm

I say go for it while you are young and fit. Athletics is a fickle sport and careers can end suddenly with injury issues. Make hay and all that - you know...

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by billiethezwerg Wed 13 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

Yes - if she meets the grade.

Allyson Felix did the World Indoors & WC 2003 not yet 18, OG 2004.

Athletes should be treated by ability. Relatively speaking she will be 2months older than Felix was.

I believe Felix is quite good ;-)

You never know why athletes become injury prone. It could be their coaching, too quick a jump to seniors, too long a junior or just naturally injury prone. Whichever way you call it somebody will point a finger at one or the other should an athlete fail to meet expectations.

Take David Grindley - an immense talent with a really short senior level career due to injury. Sub 45 400m before he was 21.

billiethezwerg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down