The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What

4 posters

Go down

What Empty What

Post by azania Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:21 pm

What got you guys into boxing? For me it was Muhammed Ali. The first fight I ever saw was the rumble in the jungle as a child living in Ghana. The whole country was celebrating when Ali won. Ever since then I was hooked. I took up boxing later and became very good friends with someone I trained with; Michael Watson (still in contact with him). Stopped boxing when I got an absolute hiding from Michael in a friendly sparring session. I thought it was safer to be a fan instead.

azania

Back to top Go down

What Empty Re: What

Post by oxring Wed 16 Feb 2011, 3:57 pm

I came from a whole family of boxers - so was raised on the sport. They wouldn't let me do it though - allowed me to study it but got nowhere near the ropes - said I'd get my brains boxed in.

I saw the rise of Calzaghe, Hatton etc - but I really loved watching some older footage of great past HW. Duran was my first hero of the sport - I could watch footage of his greatest fights all day - at his best he was relentless and his style had beauty and rhythm. And I love Holyfield in his prime, when he could pump out the triple jab and move. Great fighter who went on too long.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 16 Feb 2011, 4:11 pm

oxring wrote:I came from a whole family of boxers - so was raised on the sport. They wouldn't let me do it though - allowed me to study it but got nowhere near the ropes - said I'd get my brains boxed in.

I saw the rise of Calzaghe, Hatton etc - but I really loved watching some older footage of great past HW. Duran was my first hero of the sport - I could watch footage of his greatest fights all day - at his best he was relentless and his style had beauty and rhythm. And I love Holyfield in his prime, when he could pump out the triple jab and move. Great fighter who went on too long.

Ahhh, Duran. What a beast of a fighter. A Duran vs Pac fight would be one for the ages. Duran by KO for me. Duran will KO Floyd imo also. He was hugely under-rated for his pure boxing skills and thought of as a brawler. he had exquisite defensive moves with slight head movement which took away the effects of punches. Loved it when he beat SRL.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 16 Feb 2011, 4:28 pm

Duran-SRL 1 what a fight!!

Shame about the second and third encounter - but Duran wasn't the same.

Duran batters both Floyd and Manny at lightweight. I can't really think of many fighters who he wouldn't though. Leonard would do well - but would eventually get walked down IMO. Would have loved to have seen Pryor-Duran at LWW.

I forgot to mention - the brockton blockbuster - Rocky Marciano - is an all time favourite as well. Mostly due to his style. He wasn't a slick fighter, nor was he a big fighter - but he brought training into the 20th century and made things scientific. And he had terrifying power. Weird to think that he'd be a LHW today! His second fight with Ezzy Charles (another hero) is great to watch.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 Feb 2011, 12:17 pm

oxring wrote:Duran-SRL 1 what a fight!!

Shame about the second and third encounter - but Duran wasn't the same.

Duran batters both Floyd and Manny at lightweight. I can't really think of many fighters who he wouldn't though. Leonard would do well - but would eventually get walked down IMO. Would have loved to have seen Pryor-Duran at LWW.

I forgot to mention - the brockton blockbuster - Rocky Marciano - is an all time favourite as well. Mostly due to his style. He wasn't a slick fighter, nor was he a big fighter - but he brought training into the 20th century and made things scientific. And he had terrifying power. Weird to think that he'd be a LHW today! His second fight with Ezzy Charles (another hero) is great to watch.

Duran vs Pryor Shocked Wonder why they didn't fight. SRL vs Pryor would have been something else also. Dammit, Pryor vs anyone would have been a slugfest.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 17 Feb 2011, 1:17 pm

It's not a popular view but Pryor didn't do enough to get a fight with any of the big 4, he could have established himself at Welterweight if he so choose to make a fight with Leonard, Duran or Hearns unavoidable but he stuck around at light welterweight which was his choice. Duran didn't jump straight into a fight with Leonard he beat Palomino along with some other contenders to prove himself at the weight first.

I first became seriously interested in the global side of boxing after Hatton/Mayweather where I had such high hopes for Ricky before he was taken apart before that I was purely a british boxing fan which started with Eubank and Benn.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 17 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

The benn-eubank-watson saga. I was just a kid of about 9 or 10 at the time, but remember sitting up watching them classics. My dad went to benn v watson and I still have the programme he got me. Growing up football was always my first sporting love, but through my '20's I fell out of love with the game a bit, mostly due to the crazy money thats ruining the game, and gradually boxing has become my number one sport.

If anyone is wanting to increase their back catalogue of fights and learn more, I have found this site excellent for good value, good quality DVD's, all the greats careers sets, classic fights, trillogies and documentaries available:

www.boxingcareerdvds.com
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:The benn-eubank-watson saga. I was just a kid of about 9 or 10 at the time, but remember sitting up watching them classics. My dad went to benn v watson and I still have the programme he got me. Growing up football was always my first sporting love, but through my '20's I fell out of love with the game a bit, mostly due to the crazy money thats ruining the game, and gradually boxing has become my number one sport.

If anyone is wanting to increase their back catalogue of fights and learn more, I have found this site excellent for good value, good quality DVD's, all the greats careers sets, classic fights, trillogies and documentaries available:

www.boxingcareerdvds.com

I was at the tent at Finsbury Park. 80% of those there were Benn fans A few of us were screaming our lungs out for Michael. Great atmosphere, great fight and great after party! Watson was the best of the 3 imo (no bias). I reckon the first Eubank fight was his and was robbed by the judges. In the second fight if the ref had issued the standing 8 count, Eubank would not have had the time to land THAT uppercut as the bell ending the 11th round would have sounded.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum