The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather warning for Khan

+4
eddyfightfan
Young_Towzer
AlexHuckerby
The Galveston Giant
8 posters

Go down

Mayweather warning for Khan Empty Mayweather warning for Khan

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 23 Jul 2011, 2:19 am

Couldn't be bothered searching through all the pages for the Floyd news thread. From Sky Sports.

Briton refutes steroid claims by Mayweather camp

Floyd Mayweather has warned Amir Khan that he must consent to his drugs-testing demands if they are to meet in the ring.

Mayweather staged an open training session at his Las Vegas gym for British fans who have travelled to the United States to watch Khan fight Zab Judah at the Mandalay Bay Events Centre on Saturday night.

Earlier this week the 34-year-old's uncle and trainer Roger accused Khan of taking steroids, an allegation strenuously denied by the WBA light-welterweight champion.

The British fighter told The Sun: "I have been drug-tested so many times I've lost count. And I have never failed one.

"I have been tested out of training camp and in training camp, even answering unexpected knocks at my door to comply. I've proved I'm a clean fighter.

"I am happy to do anything the drug testers want me to do. I have been on Olympic squads as an amateur, so I am very aware of what is involved."

Golden Boy, Khan's promoters, are hoping the rivals will clash late next year.

While refusing to discuss Roger's claim, Mayweather stated that in general any opponent will have to supply blood tests.

"(Roger's accusations) are not my place to say. I don't talk bad about anybody," he said.

"All I'll say is that if you're facing Floyd Mayweather, you have to take the test."

Mayweather has restated that Manny Pacquiao must consent to extra stringent drug testing if they are to meet in what could be the richest fight in boxing.

While non-committal over whether Khan would dispatch one of his former victims, Mayweather was more forthcoming on what must happen if he is to ever fight Pacquiao, who is in the process of suing Mayweather for defamation over previous comments he has made.

The 34-year-old also questioned the progress made by his rival after suffering three defeats and two draws earlier in his career.

"If the tables were turned and I didn't want to take the test, they'd say 'Floyd Mayweather is doing something, no wonder he won all of these fights'," he said.

"All I'm saying is that someone doesn't suddenly become a good fighter at 25.

"Can Floyd Mayweather move to heavyweight and suddenly compete with the Klitschko brothers? Of course not.

"When guys are young you see they have potential, but this guy pops up at the age of 25 and you said, 'Damn, where did he come from?'

"All I'll say is that if you face Floyd Mayweather, you have to take the test."

Inactivity - he has fought just twice in three and a half years with Victor Ortiz next up in September - has seen Mayweather lose his status as pound for pound king to Pacquiao.

Though initially stating he is uninterested in boxing's most prestigious accolade, he soon rails against being dethroned despite having won all 41 of his fights.

"Why aren't I the best when nobody's defeated me yet? You've got this guy that everyone's saying is the best, but he's already been beaten," he said.

"They say I'm too big for Juan Manuel Marquez, but I'm not too big for Pacquiao, yet Pacquiao and Marquez are the same size. That's something I don't understand.

"I can retire without fighting Manny Pacquiao. Floyd Mayweather is not in boxing for Manny Pacquiao, he's in this sport to continue giving his fans pleasing performances."
Khan showdown

One such display could come against Khan himself with the WBA light-welterweight champion being lined up to fight Mayweather in autumn next year.

Mayweather, who revealed Khan trained under his uncle Roger at his Las Vegas gym on a few occasions, was not always fulsome in his praise of the 24-year-old, stating "there's nothing there we haven't seen before in boxing".

But he spoke warmly of Ricky Hatton - "a true warrior, boxing will miss him" - and voiced his desire to fight in the UK where he has a large fanbase.

"To still be at the top of boxing after dominating the sport for 15 or 16 years, I'm truly blessed," he said.

"I'd loved to go over and put on a great show and a great fight for my number one fans.

"When I went over there 5,000 fans watched me train. It was truly marvellous.

"I'm like to fight at Wembley, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best."

When attention turned to Khan's clash with Judah, Mayweather stressed the American veteran's greater experience could prove crucial.

Mayweather will not be at ringside in the early hours of Sunday morning, instead seeing his family - "I want to spend as much time with my children as possible - I want to be a great champion in the ring but also a great father", but predicts a close encounter.

"I've been in with Zab Judah. Both are explosive fighters. It's a good fight to watch and won't be easy for either man," he said.

"Experience plays a major part in a fight of this magnitude. Zab has been in there with damn near everybody. I don't know who will win."

The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Mayweather warning for Khan Empty Re: Mayweather warning for Khan

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:23 am

To be fair Mayweather plays it just right imo, he's not accusing anyone but you " Have to take the test" does make me wonder why Manny is SO against taking this test but oh well I guess Khan gets beaten by Mayweather imo... and I think most people would agree, can't outbox FLoyd probably not able to KO him in one punch can only outwork him...
Nothing new there though really than what we don't already know, just sort of makes it all official...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 4:59 am

I'm sure Khan's petrified, NOT, get the test done Amir, and although i don't like you, i'd root for you here against this clown.

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Sat 23 Jul 2011, 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 23 Jul 2011, 5:37 am

YT do you really want to see Khan in the ring with Floyd?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 5:54 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:YT do you really want to see Khan in the ring with Floyd?
Khan's good enough to fight him, his chin will probably be found wanting but imo he's GUARANTEED to put up a better display than BUMS like Baldomir, and a fat lightweight in Marquez. You would have to favour Mayweather but Khan's speed and workrate would cause him problems. Hopefully Ortiz will knock him out though in september, would be beautiful for boxing that.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 23 Jul 2011, 6:47 am

Living in dreamworld, guarentee neither find his chin Ortiz to get easily outboxed from 4 rounds onwards after it being relatively close and Khan to get outpointed but winning rounds on pure workrate (see the DLH Mayweather fight but Khan not able to impose himself as easy seeing as he's not big enough.)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 23 Jul 2011, 7:20 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Living in dreamworld, guarentee neither find his chin Ortiz to get easily outboxed from 4 rounds onwards after it being relatively close and Khan to get outpointed but winning rounds on pure workrate (see the DLH Mayweather fight but Khan not able to impose himself as easy seeing as he's not big enough.)
Lets wait and see, Come on Ortiz

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 23 Jul 2011, 7:24 am

I guess Floyd is only human but unless he's coming out a shot fighter which I doubt or is caught with a big left against the run of play I can't see how Ortiz can win I think Floyd is gonna make him look mightily ordinary at times, he has a tendency to do that to come forward aggressors, never know though...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

after judah khan says he wants morales, kell brook then mayweather. not the most testing warm up fights for what would be the biggest fight of the year. would much prefer to see judah, bradley and maybe ortiz or someone a little more dangerous

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

eddyfightfan wrote:after judah khan says he wants morales, kell brook then mayweather. not the most testing warm up fights for what would be the biggest fight of the year. would much prefer to see judah, bradley and maybe ortiz or someone a little more dangerous

I wish I could believe you're wrong. THIS is why he gets so much stick!!! Morales and Kell Brook are NOT the kind of opposition Khan should be aiming for!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

not at all, i dont see why he's so keen on morales, he got slated a fair bit for fighting barrera after he was shot, and he was much less proven then and it was a fairer match up. now he wants another shot mexican legend. maybe he wants revenge for his buddy manny...

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

The Brook fight is one I'd actualy like to see, but if Mayweather can be made next, that would be just the thing to boost Khan's sales in the UK, he hasnt got a hope in hell againt the best boxer on the planet, but I'd give him credit for trying, rather than beating Morales, and forcing many to watch a shell of one of their heros get beaten, just like the MAB fight.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:47 am

i'd like to see brook khan at some point, but i just dont think it would be a great help towards improving his game for a mayweather showdown

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

If the Mayweather fight is in 2012, I dont think theres anyone Khan can face that improves his chances. He would just have to study the tapes, spar lesser versions and stick to his teams gameplan and hope it works, which I dont believe it can.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 23 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

Khan vs Brook AT SOME POINT-ie if and when Brook steps it up a bit, achieves something at a higher level and is a name worth having for a supposed p4p hotshot like Khan-would be alright, but not right now. He's talking about wanting to become the best, and aiming for the p4p #1 spot, but fighting blown-up shot has-been legends and unproven and untested up-and-comers isn't the way to achieve top ranking in the p4p stakes. He needs to beat other hot commodities.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

Day V Lately wrote:If the Mayweather fight is in 2012, I dont think theres anyone Khan can face that improves his chances. He would just have to study the tapes, spar lesser versions and stick to his teams gameplan and hope it works, which I dont believe it can.

no, but aside from maidana he has never been in a fight where his mental capabilitys are pushed, he needs a few fights like that, if he has it mostly his own way up till he steps in the ring with floyd he wont last 6 rounds

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

Good point Eddy, though it remains to be seen what he has learned from the Maidaina fight, if he has learned nothing then a few more fights like that, an Mayweather may no longer be a option with another defeat on his record. Having said that I suppose if he hasnt learned an he fights Mayweather without further tests, he has even less chance anyway.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Definately agree Brook has to step it up a bit to warrant a shot at Khan, but when you look at the mcloskeys of this world getting a shot then I dont see a problem with Brook getting one. Although I appreciate that Brook is a higher risk and smaller reward than mccloskey given that there was a huge Irish fan base.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 23 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

aja424 wrote:Definately agree Brook has to step it up a bit to warrant a shot at Khan, but when you look at the mcloskeys of this world getting a shot then I dont see a problem with Brook getting one. Although I appreciate that Brook is a higher risk and smaller reward than mccloskey given that there was a huge Irish fan base.

I've no problem with Brook getting a shot based on the level of Khan's previous opponents, but it's the fact Khan talks about climbing the p4p rankings one moment, then the next he's talking about fighting domestic-level fighters and past-it blown-up guys.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat 23 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

Hopefully Khan will win Judah, fight Bradley and then fight a worthy enough opponent at welter to justify his shot at Mayweather.
Win or lose against Mayweather, this would be the ideal time to fight Brook. Also if Brook was still with Warren then there would at least be a WBO title in it for him.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 23 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

Nothing like a bit of personal dislike clouding someones judgement or rather defining their judgement

It gets really really tiresome hearing the same old rubbish, if Baldomir was a bum he wouldn't have become the lineal Welterweight champion nor would he have gone unbeaten for over 7 years. Khan has a good jab but little else to really worry Mayweather, his handspeed is something he's dealt with in the past against the speedier Zab Judah, doesn't have KO power nor is he a defensively sound fighter, to beat Mayweather you need to better than good you need to be great.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down