The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather?

+17
AlexHuckerby
dynamo
hogey
oxring
eddyfightfan
Bob
Imperial Ghosty
paperbag_puncher
Rowley
HumanWindmill
TechInept
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Young_Towzer
Hodgey
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Raymond
21 posters

Go down

Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather? Empty Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather?

Post by Raymond Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:28 am

I don't.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather? Empty Re: Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather?

Post by manos de piedra Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:31 am

Bar Mayweather ageing badly a la Roy Jones or carrying an inury - No.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather? Empty Re: Anyone think Khan would have a chance vs Mayweather?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:32 am

I'm almost swayed by your in-depth argument of why he wouldn't....

Yes he's got a chance Floyd is getting older...Khan is quick with a good jab and with height and reach advantages..

Awkward fight for Mayweather.....However under pressure Khan has bad habits...such as leaving himself wide open and trying to punch back rather than tie his Man up...

Sure Khan has a chance he's a skilled young man..

Would I pick him to win.........nope..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hodgey Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:33 am

Nope.

Hodgey

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:37 am

[quote="TRUSSMAN66"]I'm almost swayed by your in-depth argument of why he wouldn't....

just finished 2nd year of uni had enough of writing arguments. Very Happy

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:39 am

By the end of my second year I was tired of finishing them... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:11 am

His speed and workrate are superior to Mayweather's, has some good skills but is far too easy to hit, and i'm not convinced he can stick to a gameplan, rugged punchers like Maidana have found the target against him with ease, Mayweather has beaten better fighters so i would still back him to beat Khan. Ortiz has a better chance of beating Mayweather imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:28 am

Mayweather will catch him with ease. Khan needs to drastically improve to beat Floyd. Khan is quick but doesn't throw with much power. Floyd isn't going to age overnight imo. He keeps himself in tremendous condition between fights and hasn't been in wars. Khan hasn't fought anyone as quick as mayweather also. No-one has had the ability to land the straight right like Floyd can.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:44 am

I think it's feasible that in 18 to 24 months time Khan could have a 'chance' against Floyd. If FM tries to sit back and land counters he might struggle with regular quick 3-4 ambush type flurries. So I think if Khan gets stronger and faster and FM gets slower he could IMO stand a 20% (ish) chance of a points win.

Khans first rounds (minus Prescott!) generally impress me, if he could keep to that standard, I think yeah, he's got a chance.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Khan is still growing, of course, but I suspect that Mayweather truly is a class above.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Problem with Khan isn't his talent..I think he'd be ahead of Floyd with his jab and speed halfway...It's the fact that when he's hurt he resorts to his old bad habits.....becomes wide open and attempts to fire back...

Not sure it's something that can be solved this problem........

Fighters in the heat of battle go back to doing what is natural.....Holmes and Ali naturally held on when hurt......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:32 pm

There is always a chance that Khan could catch Floyd at the right time but think if the fight happens any time in the next couple of years Floyd will have way too much. with his fighting style and his lifestyle outside the ring have to think Floyd will have plenty left in the tank, particularly as he has hardly maintained a hectic schedule over the last few years.

Also like Truss says whilst there is talent with Khan he still makes plently of mistakes and just for me does not yet really convince. Doesn't really commit to sitting down on his punches and still looks a bit clueless when he gets tacked, more muddles through than actually does anything technical to survive. Getting away with mistakes against Maidana is a whole different world to getting away with it against Floyd.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:36 pm

Not your kind of thread Jeff........

After your Rhodes prediction Mate....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 pm

You're only as good as your last game Truss and I called Haye pretty much spot on apart from the stoppage. Also did not predict both horses in a two horse race like some I could name.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm second in Union's table Mate i'll have you know.. angel

My final prediction was VVVVlad late...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Don't doubt it, not sure it really counts though making it after the tenth round.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Only rubbing it in as I'll probably be somewhere near the bottom in a weeks time Wink

Pity fightnews isn't here to remind me of Hatton-Manny, Haye-Valuev..

Then again maybe not..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:01 pm

I'd give Khan virtually no chance. Doesnt have the power to hurt him. His greatest attribute his speed will be nullified by Mayweathers defence and countering. Judah was pretty damn quick and PBF adjusted and got the job done. Still not convinced about his chin either and not sure how he'd hold up to being pot shotted all night. Mayweather mightn't be a concussive puncher but hes so accurate and that right hand will land at will. I dont see what Khan does that Mayweather cant either do better or will be able to handle.

Will be interesting to see how Khan does against Zab himself. If he struggles at all I think that will confirm he has no hope against PBF.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 pm

paperbag_puncher wrote:I'd give Khan virtually no chance. Doesnt have the power to hurt him. His greatest attribute his speed will be nullified by Mayweathers defence and countering. Judah was pretty damn quick and PBF adjusted and got the job done. Still not convinced about his chin either and not sure how he'd hold up to being pot shotted all night. Mayweather mightn't be a concussive puncher but hes so accurate and that right hand will land at will. I dont see what Khan does that Mayweather cant either do better or will be able to handle.

Will be interesting to see how Khan does against Zab himself. If he struggles at all I think that will confirm he has no hope against PBF.

That defence wouldn't defend as well against someone as fast as Khan, who is also a ultra-correct puncher, he misses with little, apart from against McCloskey i haven't seen him miss often. Khan's a lot faster than Mayweather and throws punches in bunches and has a superb work-rate, you would have to back Mayweather, but if it went to points which it could, with Khan's work-rate speed, he's bound to land, he could nick a points nod, but i would lean towards Mayweather.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Not watched the Kotelnik fight then where his accuracy was under 20% against a fairly static target, realise you wont like hearing it but Judah was an ultra quick southpaw who got worked out in about 4 rounds by Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:23 am

Young_Towzer wrote:
paperbag_puncher wrote:I'd give Khan virtually no chance. Doesnt have the power to hurt him. His greatest attribute his speed will be nullified by Mayweathers defence and countering. Judah was pretty damn quick and PBF adjusted and got the job done. Still not convinced about his chin either and not sure how he'd hold up to being pot shotted all night. Mayweather mightn't be a concussive puncher but hes so accurate and that right hand will land at will. I dont see what Khan does that Mayweather cant either do better or will be able to handle.

That defence wouldn't defend as well against someone as fast as Khan, who is also a ultra-correct puncher, he misses with little, apart from against McCloskey i haven't seen him miss often. Khan's a lot faster than Mayweather and throws punches in bunches and has a superb work-rate, you would have to back Mayweather, but if it went to points which it could, with Khan's work-rate speed, he's bound to land, he could nick a points nod, but i would lean towards Mayweather.

Khan is quick, but one dimensional. Kotelnik and Malignaggi were tailor made for his style, where e can either flick out the jab at a static target or counter punch a guy that clumsily lunges forward.

A fight with Mayweather would stink the place out if Mayweather played it safe, because Khan wouldn't be at his best chasing the fight and would get picked off when his frustration came out after he runs out of ideas.

The other factor would be the size and strength of Khan. The most interesting thing about Mosley-Mayweather was that everybody gave Shane the edge in strength, as a former force at 154lbs and a notoriously strong fighter. When the fight started he was manhandled by Floyd and bullied up close. That being the case I think Khan could be rag dolled up close by this latest incarnation of Floyd.

Either way, I give Khan no chance because he lacks the boxing brain once the bell goes.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:44 am

Done okay for someone who lacks a boxing brain.........

Like someone earlier referred to every fighter has a shelf life and as Khan is from Manny's camp I wouldn't rule out a Khan win...

Roach is an expert at cherry picking former greats on the slide...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:50 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Done okay for someone who lacks a boxing brain.........

Of course. He will have been drilled with plan A by Roach in the week leading up to the fight, which he has executed well. Nobody has forced him to come up with plan B yet, which is where he would fall down against Floyd.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:59 am

Think with his height and reach advantages and quality jab...opponents will have to beat Khan at his game..

With all the mistakes he makes it's very possible some one will..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 am

i actually fancy khan for this one, don't get me wrong, if they fought today i'd back floyd everytime, but theres a few things that persuade me. firstly im confident roach can take khan up a few levels by november 2012. secondly, mayweathers style does not lend itself to khans quick in and out style, judah gave him all sorts of problems early on, and khan to me is better than judah (we shall see soon enough). and finally i think khan is young enough and hungry enough to give it everything and knock mayweather off his pedistal.

thats if he can keep out of trouble and away from twitter

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 am

Khan has a chance - but Floyd to win.

Essentially - it would be a stinker of a fight. Khan would try to use fast hands (floyd's are quicker) and outjab (Floyd's jab is better) Mayweather. Once he realised he couldn't, he wouldn't sit down on his punches in case he was KOd. So Floyd would rack up the rounds and win a UD.

Ortiz much more exciting as a fight for Floyd. Ortiz will come out, try to hustle Floyd and every time he tries to work the left hook, will be hit by a straight right hand. I am intrigued to see how many straight rights Ortiz can take.

This is, of course, presuming that Floyd hasn't aged dramatically (*NB* i am suspicious he has, long lay-off and he was slightly slower against Mosley)...
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:44 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Done okay for someone who lacks a boxing brain.........

Like someone earlier referred to every fighter has a shelf life and as Khan is from Manny's camp I wouldn't rule out a Khan win...

Roach is an expert at cherry picking former greats on the slide...

Baffled as per, if Khan beat Mayweather it would be a huge upset, and how can Mayweather be on the slide? he looked as good as ever against Mosley. Mayweather is an expert at handpicking full stop, don't mean he isn't a great fighter.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:59 am

Although im not a great fan of Khan and would pick Floyd to win, with his good work rate, fast hands and decent jab i could see Khan giving Floyd real problems and the upset would not be totally out of the question. Another case of styles making fights and i dont think Floyd would look great against Khan.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamo Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:18 pm

Mayweather is simply the most intelligent boxer in the ring alive right now. He buys time and space, knows exactly how to preserve his stamina. Yes Khan has a terrific jab, is fast , knows how and when to move in and out. He will still need to catch Mayweather - and even if he does, it won't trouble his chin much. It will end up becoming a tactical bout, and I simply can't see him keeping up with him - even in 2 years time.

dynamo

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm almost swayed by your in-depth argument of why he wouldn't....

Yes he's got a chance Floyd is getting older...Khan is quick with a good jab and with height and reach advantages..

Awkward fight for Mayweather.....However under pressure Khan has bad habits...such as leaving himself wide open and trying to punch back rather than tie his Man up...

Sure Khan has a chance he's a skilled young man..

Would I pick him to win.........nope..

Khan is only 2 inches taller and Floyd is the one with a reach advantage, so given the two inches of a height difference I'd say they were more or less the same on that front. Just saying...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 am

i think khans power is underestimated, he doesnt have KO power every punch, but he does have very quick hands, and speed is power. prime example is the body shot that put maidana down in the 1st, think a lot people wouldn't have got up from that.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:23 am

Its pr boxers like haye and khan are boring the sport. The script can already be written for this fight. Like the haYe-Klitchko fight. Khan will big himself up saying hes the best and critisising mayweather. It will get many subscribers and the 36 minutes of fightng time will be khan using his quick feet like haye did running away from the opponent. It night go the distance but mayweather would blow khan away. The plan seems to me from khan is to beat the nobodies in his division and like Haye make himself out to be a "great" and earn a big cheque after losing to mayweather.

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Skiddy I don't think it would be Mayweather chasing Khan, as Khan is an attacking style versus Mayweather who is a defensive style? Ones a combination puncher ones a counter puncher, though I do see Khan causing Floyd a few problems - strong jab - fast flurries - but nothing that Floyd can't deal with, fight gets more and more one sided after the 6th and FMJ completely takes over by 10 and wins by a wide points decision.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 pm

I really can't see it. I think he might have a bright start - maybe take a few of the early rounds but Mayweather's timing is so great he is bound to catch Khan consistently with rights and eventually stop him.

Based on Mayweather's last few fights I would say Khan has effectively no chance.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm

skiddy wrote:Its pr boxers like haye and khan are boring the sport. The script can already be written for this fight. Like the haYe-Klitchko fight. Khan will big himself up saying hes the best and critisising mayweather. It will get many subscribers and the 36 minutes of fightng time will be khan using his quick feet like haye did running away from the opponent. It night go the distance but mayweather would blow khan away. The plan seems to me from khan is to beat the nobodies in his division and like Haye make himself out to be a "great" and earn a big cheque after losing to mayweather.

What nonsense. Khan's opposition cannot be compared to Haye's. He's arguably the no 1 10 stone fighter in the world and there is nothing wrong with him taking on Mayweather.

Khan has heart and ambition and at least he will try to win.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 pm

No. Mayweather is in a different league. Miind you, Honeygan was also outclassed by Curry, on paper, and I'm certain Truss can let us all know how that one ended. Cry

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 pm

Can't see a way that Khan wins this, strong jab or not he makes far too many fundamental errors to get close to Mayweather, might be close to start with but as soon as Floyd comes to grips with the hand speed which he will then it will become a one sided masterclass like always.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

Of course it is possible for Khan to win. He's fast, he has enough power to KO most LWWs, he's an accurate puncher. If Floyd played Khan's game then Khan would rack up a healthy points lead with repeated flurries. Unfortunately for Khan, Floyd wouldn't play his game. I could see floyd cutting the distance and catching khan as he tries to get back on the outside. In fact I can see floyd adjusting in a number of ways to beat Khan. Khan's problems are:

a) He has no inside game to speak of. If he's not picking off guys and jumping in for flurries then he doesn't know what else to do. Floyd on the other hand has a good inside game. Every time the distance was closed and khan tried to move away, Floyd would catch him.

b) Khan does not know how to fight when under pressure or hurt. He can't tie people up. He leaves himself wide open. He tries to run away in straight lines. He's ok defensively when he's on the outside in his comfort zone, but he makes numerous fundamental flaws when he's brought out of it. Floyd would simply find a way (or a few ways) to take him out of that comfort zone.

A khan win? Possible (if he was allowed to stick to his outside/ambush game plan), but not something I'd see happening: Floyd is too smart.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down