The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side

+2
dublfcynwa
jimbohammers
6 posters

Go down

11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side Empty 11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

what would be your english 11, of players who you think are close to getting into the test side, this is my side...

1)Alex Hales
2)Josh Cobb
3)Ravi Bopara
4)Jason Roy
5)James Taylor
6)Samit Patel
7)Craig Kieswetter (WK)
8)Adil Rashid
9)Graham Onions
10)Steven Finn
11)Jade Dernbach

Back to top Go down

11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side Empty Re: 11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side

Post by jimbohammers Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

Dernbach has been pretty poor for Surrey tbh

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side Empty Re: 11 english players who you think are so close to getting into england test side

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

yh i but i think the selectors like him

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm

Dernbach and Keiswetter are South African.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

so what!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

Just thought you were picking an english side.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

lets not go through this, they have both represented england!

Last edited by Y I Man on Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : excessive punctuation)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 24 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm

Finn and Onions seem the only ones close to the test side. Patel or Rashid might have a shot if we want a 2nd spinner as both can bat
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:50 pm

ravi and taylor are extremely close as well, the others i picked as most likely to be next in line with injuries

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

Chris Woakes?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

i dont think he is that close to getting in test side, but i think he should be in the one day side

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:58 pm

The ODI side maybe. Ravi's not particularly close imo, I think he needs a run in the ODI side to prove he can handle the pressure. Taylor's an unknown, which isnt necessarily a bad thing a la Trott, but I'd imagine he'd be blooded in ODIs first.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 24 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

Reckon Woakes is a much better player in the longer version of the game.
Better FC bowler than Dernbach IMO (and a much better batsman, obviously).

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 7:15 pm

i dont think he has enough pace or at least has to get a lot more accurate to play test cricket, but i think he can play limited overs for cricket defo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 24 Jul 2011, 7:37 pm

Thing is, he IS accurate when bowling in FC matches IMO. That's what his games based on, line and length. That's why he's not as good in limited overs matches where length is often punished. He has a problem when he tries to vary his natural game.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

its just my opinon, i think he would be better in the shorter formats of the game, he dosent have the pace to be a serious threat at test level

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:28 pm

I'd say he bowls low to mid 80s MPH.
That's about as fast as the likes of Hoggard or McGrath bowled through much of their careers IIRC (not saying that he's as good, though he could be).
He certainly bowls as quick as Kumar Smile

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:47 pm

yh but kumar swings it around corners even with an old ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

Just pointing out that speed isn't everything.
I'd rather pick a slower but better bowler (eg. Woakes) than a slightly faster but probably worse bowler (eg. Dernbach)

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

he may prove me wrong, but my personal opinon, is that, he will be more of a threat in limited overs cricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:35 pm

Bit flummoxed that you think Josh Cobb is close to a test call?!

Let the lad have some county time first, he's talented but not talented that he's on the level of James Taylor (who's inclusion I wholly agree with).

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm

Would still say Hildreth is probably one of the next in line for a test place, maybe not THE next however in the next 2 or 3 for the middle order

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:55 am

Sainty wrote:Bit flummoxed that you think Josh Cobb is close to a test call?!

Let the lad have some county time first, he's talented but not talented that he's on the level of James Taylor (who's inclusion I wholly agree with).

cobb is very underrated, he also offers part time off spin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:57 am

Very much agreed, but he isn't test quality at all, yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:58 am

i never said he was ready..

the article said close, but with the standard of england side, close could be a while before he gets in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

I wouldn't even say he's close though when you compare him to Taylor, Cobb hasn't even represented the Lions yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:13 am

well its opinon lol....i think it wont be long before he defo represents the lions, then full side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:15 am

I would take out Cobb put Hildreth in there and move Roy up the order. Hildreths alot closer to playing for England than Cobb is.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:23 am

An opinion that I'm challenging Whistle

Very much agree with Liam. Although Adam Lyth, I like the look of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

lol i gave my reasonsing saint Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down