The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best players never to play for england test side..

+4
gboycottnut
Mike Selig
sonic_boom10
Liam_Main
8 posters

Go down

best players never to play for england test side.. Empty best players never to play for england test side..

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

who do you think are the 11 best players never to play for england test side,, not including the likes of patel, rashid etc, who will play for the side. mine is:

1)Ed Joyce
2)Mark Pettini
3)Mark Wagh
4)Mike Powell
5)David Sales
6)Ali Brown
7)Phil Mustard (C) (WK)
8)Glen Chapple
9)Gary Keedy
10)Steve Kirby
11)David Masters

Back to top Go down

best players never to play for england test side.. Empty Re: best players never to play for england test side..

Post by Liam_Main Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

Good side I probably couldn't come up with a better one myself. I would have Mark Davies in mine though and would take out David Masters.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

best players never to play for england test side.. Empty Re: best players never to play for england test side..

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

Most unfortunate player ever was Glen Chapple.

The guy was a class act in his pomp, and wasn't too shabby with the willow either.

David Sales would've been a monster player in Test if it hadn't been for the serious knee injuries he sustained.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 14 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

Do you mean ever or still playing? I would have Mark Davies in there for sure.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 14 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

Graham Napier could have been the new Ian Botham in England's test team if only he were given a chance by the current regime of Miller as the selector chairman and Flower as the head coach. Napier would surely have been given a chance to play for England at a test level during the 1990's under the Ray Illingworth and Bumble Lloyd regime which saw players of the calibre of Mike Watkinson, Ronnie Irani and Gavin Hamilton tried out as players to fulfill England's requirement/search for a bowling all-rounder.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

as an essex fan i do rate napier but he isnt good enough for odi cricket or test cricket, however i do think he deserves a crack in t20 side. The other day he was bowling 90 mph, he could go number 8 bowl four good overs and contribute quick 30

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 17 Jun 2011, 11:29 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:as an essex fan i do rate napier but he isnt good enough for odi cricket or test cricket, however i do think he deserves a crack in t20 side. The other day he was bowling 90 mph, he could go number 8 bowl four good overs and contribute quick 30

Exactly. The fact that he can bowl at 90 mph means that he should be given a chance to play for England in the ODI and test formats, as all the top seam/swing bowlers in the international game have pace of 85 plus mph if they don't have the unerring accuracy of a McGrath or a Pollock or a Hadlee.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

but he isnt consistent enough for essex

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:20 am

cricketfan90 wrote:but he isnt consistent enough for essex

But it is something he can acquire if he is given the chance to work with the top coaches in the England setup.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 19 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

I know that he did play 3 tests and 10 ODI's but surely Richard Johnson was unlucky not to play more going by his international record ???

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/15522.html

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm

The only one I disagree with is Pettini, I wouldn't have him anywhere near that side I'd have rather put in somebody like Scott Newman or Jimmy Adams

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

yh perhaps i made a mistake putting pettini in but i wouldnt have newman in there

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:08 pm

GG wrote:I know that he did play 3 tests and 10 ODI's but surely Richard Johnson was unlucky not to play more going by his international record ???

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/15522.html

His figures look very good on paper - 16 wickets in 3 matches at an average of 17. But you need to factor in the opposition: Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:46 pm

richard johnson wasnt great at international level

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 21 Jun 2011, 6:50 pm

I would give Napier a chance

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:21 pm

Ali Brown is one who can consider himself unfortunate to never have played test cricket for England - guess he was pigeon-holed as a one day player.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

i think he is a one day player, he is better suited to that form of the game

Back to top Go down

Post by LivinginItaly Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:05 pm

Maybe you are right, but his first class average was also quite handy.

LivinginItaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

maybe but his technique and the way he plays are suited to playing one day cricket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down