The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues

+2
bedfordwelsh
PenfroPete
6 posters

Go down

WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues Empty WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

LINK

"Wasps director of rugby Dai Young has appointed former Newport Gwent Dragons head coach Paul Turner as an attack and skills coach.

The 51-year-old becomes Young's first addition to his staff after arriving at Adams Park in June.

Turner has been out of coaching since leaving Dragons in controversial circumstances in February.

"To join a club of Wasps' calibre is a great opportunity for me," said the ex-Wales outside-half.

"Wasps have always been a club I admired and respected and I am delighted to be back coaching in the Premiership.

"The club has clearly put together a strong squad for next season with some highly talented attacking individuals and I am looking forward to helping shape the structure of how the side plays."

Young added: "We are really pleased to introduce Paul to our plans for the new season and we believe that he will be an important addition to the coaching set-up.

"He will bring some fresh attacking ideas to the team and I think he can make a big impact in our style of play this season."

Turner, who has also coached at Sale and Harlequins, left Dragons after he was suspended for criticising the Welsh Rugby Union and engaging in a confrontation with a journalist"
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues Empty Re: WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

Good move IMO, despite the controversial way in which he left Dave he is to good to be out of the game for long.

Maybe not being 'head man' will suit him better.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues Empty Re: WASPS appoint Turner as 'Attack & Skills' coach - the Welsh Link up continues

Post by PenfroPete Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Think this coud be the change that they both (Dai Young and Paul Turner) needed. Will have a chat with my WASPS supporting mate Dog to see what he thinks
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

Let's hope Wasps can take over from Sale Sharks as the team that takes on Welsh rejects and no-hopers and bring them up to scratch for us. Whistle

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm glad he's back in the game and reinforcing the Welsh connection will be good. It will be interesting to see if Wasps start poaching lots of up and coming Blues and Dragons (and the other 2 regions) players now

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

Interesting that Dia Young (as yes man) has opted to bring in Paul Turner (a no man). Personally I am glad to see that Turner is back coaching at a decent level. And as others have said maybe not being the top dog will suit him better as he can get on with the day to day stuff and not have to worry about doing things to make the chairman (or WRU) happy.

Also this could be an interesting indication of the future Welsh setup when Gatland goes, after all both of these have been touted for the job (with Lyn Jones as forwards coach, and Charvis as breakdown coach?)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

I hope Turner does well for them. He always had a battle at the Dragons with certain board members and wasn't the happiest of people towards the end. Good luck to him and like mentioned he will probably do a lot better with a more professional set up and not being head man!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

SS

Young, Turner, Jones and Charvis as Welsh management, mmmmmm could well be the future through K Jones into mix and might not be all that bad.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

Impossible Standards wrote:and wasn't the happiest of people towards the end

Made me smile that bit thumbsup Which is more than you could say for Paul Turner. Has anyone ever seen the guy Very Happy ??
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

Penfro - me and the wife had a weekend away in Newport and saw him walking in the town centre, he looked like he was having a laugh and a joke with someone, and had a big grin on his face. I was somewhat suprised. But aparently he is a pretty happy bloke in private.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

ScarletSpiderman - nice to see another member on from Wales' premier county thumbsup

Was talking to an old playing colleague of his, from his Newbridge days, a while back after ref'ing a game in Cardiff. He said he was miserable ALL the time Yikes Nice to hear he can smile appletini
What was your crime by the way ? Wink
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down