The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Womens' Open.

+22
George1507
Skydriver
Desperado
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
MustPuttBetter
Sand
gaelgowfer
Doon the Water
Bob_the_Job
JAS
sharrison01
Davie
drive4show
LadyPutt
oldparwin
McLaren
KeizoYamata
navyblueshorts
Maverick
Diggers
super_realist
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Womens' Open. Empty Womens' Open.

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 am

Just passed Natalie Gulbis out shopping ahead of the Womens Open.
What's all the fuss about? People make out she's a knockout, bit of a scrubber to be fair. There are scores of better looking women in the game than her.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Womens' Open. Empty Re: Womens' Open.

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 am

Did she check you out SR ? Was she all over you like a cheap suit ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 am

Have to say Gulbis is an aquired taste! All over you like a cheap suit that wouldn't be pretty but if you said to me Blair O'Neal was all over me like a rash I'd certainly scratch that.... She's a very pretty lass and good golfer to boot!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:11 am

It's simply that she goes out of her way (it would seem) to be photographed doing things like the following:

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/3720165.jpg?565

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/647164.jpg

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/1395508.jpg

Ok I guess but seems a bit desperate for attention. Still, if it draws in the crowds eh?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 am

navyblueshorts wrote:It's simply that she goes out of her way (it would seem) to be photographed doing things like the following:

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/3720165.jpg?565

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/647164.jpg

http://www.valentinie.com/uploads/4/4/1/4/4414450/1395508.jpg

Ok I guess but seems a bit desperate for attention. Still, if it draws in the crowds eh?

She is overrated in the looks department. The only reason why she gets a mention is because most of the lpga players are ...how should I say this nicely, 'they are dogs'. Lets face it there are not that many good looking world class female sports stars otherwise they would have been a marketing dream.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 am

SR

I would like to bet my house that Gulbis is better looking than girlfriend/wife?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 am

I'd bet my house my Mrs is better than gulbis...

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:24 am

Mav

You do know the only way to settle that is to post a pic?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:29 am

Mind you most male pro golfers could be models....hmmmmm

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 am

Mac the only pics I have of my mrs wouldn't get past the filters!!!!! And I'd imagine some serious sales increases in kleenex! But I'll see if I can get a clean one!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:09 am

Mav

Just pm my the pic, or at least a link to the pick.

If all else fails I will pm you my email address.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:42 am

A young 16 year old from Rugby has got her self into the Open, looks to be a real talent, and will also look a real stunner in a few years time

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 am

KeizoYamata wrote:

She is overrated in the looks department. The only reason why she gets a mention is because most of the lpga players are ...how should I say this nicely, 'they are dogs'. Lets face it there are not that many good looking world class female sports stars otherwise they would have been a marketing dream.

Not strictly true Keizo, but then you probably see nothing except for the Tiger Woods poster on the ceiling above your bed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:25 am

Keizo

Come on man just take a look at this.

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-hottest-female-golfers-of-all-time-50-41/

You would not kick any of them out of bed for a bad fart.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Oh dear - I thought this was going to be a sensible discussion about the Women's British Open. I should have known better. Erm
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Oh dear - I thought this was going to be a sensible discussion about the Women's British Open. I should have known better. Erm

Yep, another sensible thread going wildly off topic. Seems to be endemic on here these days, I can understand why people are losing interest in these 'debates'

Rolling Eyes

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Not sure this was EVER a sensible thread D4S so it's hardly gone off topic. It's been flirting with the gutter from the original post

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:42 pm

McLaren wrote:Keizo

Come on man just take a look at this.

http://sports.popcrunch.com/the-50-hottest-female-golfers-of-all-time-50-41/

You would not kick any of them out of bed for a bad fart.

Some of them are proper dodgy, especially the older ones!?! I'm also pretty sure that the article could be retitled "the only 50 remotely attractive female golfers ever."

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Well... All smut aside.. I can't wait to watch the ladies slash in the Carnoustie rough!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:14 pm

It does look as though they're going to get it fairly benign. Anybody know if they'll play it as a par 70 or a 72 (I.e. Will they play 12 & 14 as par 4s or 5s).

Any guesses on the winning score?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:23 pm

D4s

Please re-read the OP, it was about SR ogling Natalie gulbis in the street. I am all for the more sensible posts staying on topic, but this was not one of them.

I would also like to properly discuss the women’s open so maybe you should start a thread on the right tone for that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 pm

This was never about the Womens Open but always off on a slant so cannot be thought of as going off topic as it was never on to begin with.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 pm

There's no point in starting a proper debate about one of the four women's majors because there will always be sad people who hijack it. Like many others, I am getting very dispirited about the way this forum is going. I only really stay on to do the Fantasy League and now that seems to be going by the wayside. I appreciate that Ned is doing his best but he did say we'd be doing the Irish Open but so far nothing has materialised.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:26 pm

As I said before this was never actually about the Womens open, but can feel your pain LP we do seem to have a few too many threads appearing that are way off topic.

I think we are going through what is a period of transition. When the Forum started we had some reall good genuine debates and opinions being formed and argued. This is what we are hoping this will return to in the long run.

Since the actuall demise off the BBC 606 site we have had an influx of members that had posted there and not been here orginally that have added some fluff also people drifting in from others sites doing the same.

We have however also had some more new members from old 606 and other sites that have added to the debates in a good way, so the balance will eventually be struck and normal service resumed, it's the way off all things such as this at their inception that they start off with the enthusiam of the members looking to give some good material. then there is the inevitable period of additional filler threads so that everyone feels part of the establishment and what will be the eventual stabilisation of normal service being resumed.

All we can do as MOD's is make sure the decent threads stay on track and look at ways of reducing the amount of filler input but this is easier said than done as we want people to think this is a place they can come without being jumped all over in the manner the BBC used to. So please stick with us and let us develop this place to where we all want it to be..

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 pm

I think that the balance is not too bad. There's some really good threads at the moment about the English Amateur and people's ideal first holes - it's just a case of sifting through the threads and either partaking in a petty argument or ignoring them for an interesting golf debate.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Exactly SH, there is balance and no matter what forum you use their will be the same issue's the difference is here we try to let it flow instead of jumping all over it. Some of the ones on here currently are really good and you can see from the first line of any thread whether it's your cup of tea or not.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:59 pm

LadyPutt wrote:There's no point in starting a proper debate about one of the four women's majors because there will always be sad people who hijack it. Like many others, I am getting very dispirited about the way this forum is going. I only really stay on to do the Fantasy League and now that seems to be going by the wayside. I appreciate that Ned is doing his best but he did say we'd be doing the Irish Open but so far nothing has materialised.

Instead of simply bemoaning things, why not start a thread for some serious discussion on the Women's Open (or other event) and see where it goes? I don't see that "there will always be sad people who hijack it" - maybe, maybe not and you can always address the WUMs/whatever head on.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 am

Just look at Kwini's article and it proves what I have always said. The OP must set the tone and the quiality of posts that follow is usually determined by this.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 am

Mac

most threads start off OK but it only takes one contentious comment for the whole thing to degenerate into a farce, usually down to jusy 2 or 3 people having a go at each other. There have been quite a few instances of that on here in the last couple of weeks.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:15 am

D4s

This is an internet forum right?

Show me somewhere where this does not happen?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 am

D4S this can happen and has happened in recent times but as we get more members it will happen now and again, but the only way we can moderate this accurately is by it being reported but likewise some of the comments that others may find off topic or WUMMERY can actually help the debate so it's a fine line but one that is being looked at it's no easy task after all Forums everywhere will have the same issue but we don't want this place ruled with an iron rod

Last edited by Maverick on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 am

A thread about RSG being "too sexist to hold the open" and now this... who says irony is dead? 🤦
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 am

What does the image of Jean Luc piccard with his head in his hands actually mean?

Is it something to do with american dad or family guy?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:32 am

On the old 606 a thread called The English Amateur would have attracted about 4 posts.
This site is pretty good in general with a decent balance of debate and the odd funny wind up.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:40 am

McLaren wrote:What does the image of Jean Luc piccard with his head in his hands actually mean?

It's the depondent and exasperated affectation that people perform when a Guardianista statement is announced on the forum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 am

McLaren wrote:What does the image of Jean Luc piccard with his head in his hands actually mean?

If I was putting a speech bubble next to it I'd have it saying "I despair."

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:02 am

Given the title of the thread, it was never on topic. Super_Realist was clearly having one of his darker days yesterday.

Still, it is sad there are some male posters on here who clearly feel the need to prove their manhood to each other with these occasional testosterone-fuelled episodes. kiss

Kudos to JAS though for at least trying to talk about the event itself. Incidentally, in case he hasn't checked yet, the 12th will play as a 4 and the 14th, a 5 .... with two remaining par 5's coming at 6th and 17th.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:11 am

Well thank you Gael, I thought from the title that it was going to be about the event itself, when I saw it wasn't I briefly joined in then decided that the event itself should actually be debated.

I am actually really interested in how the ladies will fare and how the top ladies will play it. Some of the top women to hit similar distances to me so it's going to hopefully give me some useful info for the Tassie which is now only about 6 weeks away.

....wait a minute...the 17th as a par 5??? It's not even a driver off the tee par 4!! (he says having averaged double bogey the 4 times he's played it!!) Bloody wimmin!!, I thought you all wanted equality?? Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Re the 17th, I have to admit JAS, I blinked at that as well. It's really not that long a shot to the green from the other side of the burn. Perhaps they felt they had to stick in another par 5 somewhere or else there would just have been two which, given the fearsome reputation this course normally enjoys, would also have made me blink. Shocked

I think, distance-wise, the comparison between good club male golfers and female professionals is a fairly accurate one. I still think the women lag behind the men in the short game department though. Not sure why this should be the case though. I don't think it can be down to something as simple as yet more practice being needed. I do wonder though if strength (or the lack thereof) perhaps has something to do with not being able to roll three shots into two as well as the men can.

We're about to head off into deepest sassenach land but will, hopefully, be taking in Saturday's play en route.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:23 pm

There's been a bit of critiscism that at just 6400yards the course will be too easy, with the wind set fair for the weekend the organisers might be made to look a bit silly with some of the scores that are already on the leaderboard after not many holes at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:32 pm

super_realist wrote:There's been a bit of critiscism that at just 6400yards the course will be too easy, with the wind set fair for the weekend the organisers might be made to look a bit silly with some of the scores that are already on the leaderboard after not many holes at all.

Yeah I read that too, the 18th for example has been reduced by about 100 yards so it was just 80 yards left in for their second shot yesterday. Definately sounds that they have made it too easy.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:43 pm

Some perspective please lads. The yardage totals 6490 which is still 54 yards longer than the white tees at my links course.

Not sure how either of you expected the tournament organisers to know in advance what the wind strength would be. I think it's a fairly safe bet though they set the course up for normal conditions viz windy!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Gael, As someone who lives in the immediate area, I can say that the sort of conditions faced at St.Andrews last year in the second round are quite rare incidences. The past month has been very gentle breezes, and the seasonal average can barely be described as much more than a fresh wind. i.e Normal conditions for links, so I think they could have stretched the course a few hundred yards without making it a joke in the event of some advent weather. I get the impression that organisers believe the nonsense that the whole of SCotland is cold, wet, windy and dreary, ALL the time, but it isn't

Remember these are professionals, a course such as Carnoustie with a reputation for being tough, shouldn't be laid bare the way TOC is when the weather is benign. They should be something more of a challenge if they want to replicate the sort of drama we got the last time the men played there.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:49 pm

What does it matter what the scores are. Its not the number that matters at the end of the week, its still the same golf course for everyone. You will still have to play great to win.
I like watching the womens golf, certainly more so than watching the old codgers tour which bores me rigid.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I;m with diggers on this one score is irrelevant really all that matters is the best player at the end of the week will be the winner. I find watching the ladies tour quite refereshing and many AM's could learn more from ladies golf than by trying to emulate many of the mens tour players. as for the codgers golf, that really is boring.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 pm

The scores are not particularly relevant Diggers I agree, but when you have a course like Carnoustie which is capable of producing excellent drama filled championships in terms of risk/reward it's a shame to set the course up to be too easy and take away what makes the venue such a great place to hold the championship in the first place, and where mistakes are more difficult to make, hence less drama and a more boring Championship.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Surely the drama just becomes whether someone gets an eagle or a birdie at the easier holes.
Drama is made by having a close field, there was supposedly lots of potential for drama at St Geotges the other week but we didnt get any, was really just a procession of a back nine in the end.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Like so many threads recently, this one has drifted wildly off topic and what started as a convivial article about Super's encounter with Natalie Gulbis has now turned into a debate about the difficulty of the course for the ladies (or women, i can't remember which was agreed on to be PC)

This is why i, like so many others, am becoming disillusioned with the forum Whistle

Just thought i'd throw that in as we're all becoming so precious these days about things staying on topic, politically correct and the wind ups. Because none of that happened on old 606..............

When did we all become so sanctimonious??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:07 pm

"When did we all become so sanctimonious??."

I know for a fact that Im not sanctimonious but I also know that everybody else definitely is..... Very Happy

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Diggers wrote:Surely the drama just becomes whether someone gets an eagle or a birdie at the easier holes.
Drama is made by having a close field, there was supposedly lots of potential for drama at St Geotges the other week but we didnt get any, was really just a procession of a back nine in the end.

Diggers, You could say that from one point of view, but Carnoustie has perhaps the three best closing holes on any genders Open rota capable of thrwoing up anything, it would be a real shame to make them too easy and take out the potential for this element to come into the game or not make use of the features which make them so great.
Imagine if Harringtons or Lawries wins were courtesy of a 3 wood and an 80 yard chip.
Those are the most memorable Open victories for years, and the course takes a great deal of credit for that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next