The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yesterday at the Womens British Open

+10
Doon the Water
super_realist
GPB
kwinigolfer
Plunky
I'm never wrong
hend085
George1507
Roller_Coaster
barragan
14 posters

Go down

Yesterday at the Womens British Open Empty Yesterday at the Womens British Open

Post by barragan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:31 am

All Friday scores were scrapped due to high winds, reportedly 60mph. 18 players reached the turn , the aggregate score of those competitors was +52. Apparently there is a precedent for this at the Open in the past, but does this damage the credibility of this event. Was anyone there, or perhaps experiencing similar playing conditions nearby?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Yesterday at the Womens British Open Empty Re: Yesterday at the Womens British Open

Post by Roller_Coaster Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:44 am

Pah-tis but a stiff breeze. Perhaps a sweater required and a few low draws!

We had our champs pulled halfway through the first lap a couple of years ago for similar wind speeds, simply couldn't putt due to ball moving as the greens had been cut to within a millimetre of their lives.

I don't think it loses credibility, imo it would have if they'd continued and the leader came in on +36 or something. Good call but think they need to pull all the stops out to make sure the 72 happen somehow.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Yesterday at the Womens British Open Empty Re: Yesterday at the Womens British Open

Post by George1507 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 10:48 am

I read that report about the players being an aggregate +52 over par.

If 18 players reached the turn, that's less than 3 over each. I'd say that was very good.

Cancelling round 2 doesn't make much sense if that was the case. There must be more to it than that.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

i definitley think it looses credibility. one of the leaders had a 9 on her first hole. if shes goes on to win the tournament now by a shot does she deserve it? i dont think so.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:23 am

that's exactly what i thought too George. presumably come were coping well with the conditions... maybe +1 or so, but others were racking up some big scores. it's quite difficult to come to an informed opinion with the limited info available.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:26 am

i'm with you Hend on that - want it to be proven otherwise though!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Sat 15 Sep 2012, 11:59 am

I didn't read it that 18 made the turn, it looked to me that there were 18 players on the front nine and for the holes they had played by the time it was scrubbed they were +52. In three balls assuming only one set on each green the first group would be at, say, the sixth. If (and I also don't know for sure) that's the case it is much worse on the scoring front.

Is there anywhere that does have the numbers for the holes completed though or are they gone forever?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:07 pm

Nothing to do with the scores, but a radio report stated that a player had to re tee her ball three times as it was blown off the tee.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:40 pm

They suspended play at 8.25 am so I don't think they'd played many holes, given their usual pace of play !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 15 Sep 2012, 1:43 pm

Seems to me a perfectly sensible and fair decision if it was concluded, as it apparently was, that conditions on some parts of the course had been unfair.
Whether they should have gone out in the first place given the strength of wind and forecast is perhaps the more questionable issue.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:32 pm

I saw a report that a total of 81 holes had been completed yesterday morning and the collectively the gals were 72 over par. That was trending to a stroke average of well into the 80's.

Laura Davies was a player that was under par when play was canceled (after poor opening round). Obviously she did not want her score thrown out. I see by the scoreboard that she is "RTD",. No idea what that means.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:47 pm

Just spotted a player wearing earmuffs. What the ****?
Get off.

Last edited by super_realist on Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 15 Sep 2012, 2:48 pm

I read she pulled out after 9 or 10 holes today with an injured ankle.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:03 pm

I'm suddenly beginning to find Paula creamer very attractive. Short skirt, long socks...

Nurse, NURSE! Shocked

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

She a bit if a BOBFOC, but yes, you most certainly would.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 15 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

Do you think she would be allowed onto the first tee of your club in that outfit?

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 15 Sep 2012, 7:07 pm

just Googled bobfoc - Laugh -where did you pick up that little gem s_r?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:11 pm

to be fair to the americans one of them tweeted yesterday that it was a links course and it was set up for links golf with high winds. she couldn't understand why play was called off

links is meant to be windy and it sounds to me like they pampered to the target golf most of the ladies want to play

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 15 Sep 2012, 8:48 pm

But the balls wouldn't stay still on the more exposed greens. How can you play golf if the balls are moving due to the strength of the wind?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 15 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Do you think she would be allowed onto the first tee of your club in that outfit?

If she was playing with me, then yes.

Otherwise, probably not.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 9:44 am

Plunky wrote:I read she pulled out after 9 or 10 holes today with an injured ankle.
apparently injury was sustained whilst playing 5aside. who da thunk it?!!!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 16 Sep 2012, 11:14 am

golfermartin wrote:But the balls wouldn't stay still on the more exposed greens. How can you play golf if the balls are moving due to the strength of the wind?

Of course you should suspend play when the winds gets up but it is ludicrous, and makes a mockery of the event, to wipe the scores as well. People will have handled the conditions better than others so should benefit from that come sunday afternoon.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:10 pm

The wind was 60mph for heavens sake. They close the Forth Road Bridge for that. How can you expect anyone to play golf in that?

Football, tennis, horse racing etc would all be abandoned with void results in those conditions so what is the problem in golf?

They shouldn't have let anyone out in those conditions. So in hindsight as they did they had to cancel the scores.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:40 pm

Tumbleweed FRB closes if there are 80mph winds

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 3:44 pm

presumably the winds didn't look like getting any better thru the day, otherwise it'd just have been suspension of play for a while.
tough conditions for the players this afternoon. many hitting woods into short par 3s

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

have to say I've been more impressed with the short game talent on show this weekend. the ladies seem to be generally much more solid than previous viewings.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:27 pm

The short game of the leader looks to be very good, in fact her whole game has been very solid. Quietly impressed.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Sep 2012, 6:37 pm

miyazato has lovely touch around the greens also.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Mon 17 Sep 2012, 12:07 pm

I went up to Hoylake on Wednesday for the practice day, the morning was a bit rough weather wise but the afternoon was lovely. Bit blowy but nothing you wouldnt expect.
There were very few players (mostly asian) out practicing and certainly didnt see any 'names' on the course (julie inkster & the Ko girl on the putting green). Mind you they had so many clothes on Monty could have been playing and you would struggle to pick him out.
My point is, surely if you are not used to playing links golf in a wind you would want as much practise as you can get?
As I said most of the payers I saw were Asian and this may explain why they are doing so well in the world rankings...not frightened of a bit of weather!

also it was free in on wednesday and there were more marshals than spectators...I fear for the womans game!

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down