The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins Vs Haye?

+9
The genius of PBF
J.Benson II
Colonial Lion
GaryMabbuttYidLegend
88Chris05
Super D Boon
Mind the windows Tino.
Lumbering_Jack
paperbag_puncher
13 posters

Go down

Hopkins Vs Haye? Empty Hopkins Vs Haye?

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:43 pm

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/07/bernard-hopkins-ill-spot-david-haye.html

Looks like Mr Hopkins is the latest to stick his claws into David Haye following his poor showing against Klitschko.

"I was shocked by him against Klitschko,” reported The Daily Mail.

“You can’t trash talk the way he did for two or three years and then not deliver. I don’t like to question any fighter’s heart. But to see him go in there and then keep flopping (onto the floor) I would spot him 20 lbs (in weight advantage).

"The heavyweight division has been in a coma for almost ten years and Haye was given the stage, the opportunity, to fight his heart out. If you do that, even if you don’t win, you can come back. But as soon as he started flopping down on his knees I knew it was over."

The two-weight world champion was then asked about the injury to Haye’s foot, which the Londoner believes attributed to his defeat on the night.

"Oh yeah, his pinky. Tell you what, I’ll spot him 50 lbs. You don’t even walk on your little toe."

Now I can't see this fight ever being made. Hopkins offers little redemption for Haye. A win proves nothing against a 46 year old former MW. A loss will will be the final nail in his already flailing legacy. But if they did square of could anyone see BHOP pulling it of? If asked before the Klit fight I dont think many would give him a chance but Hayes stock has fallen like no others in recent times.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Hopkins Vs Haye? Empty Re: Hopkins Vs Haye?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Not as this stage. Haye has far, far too much power and will be much stronger than Hoppo. I'd fancy Haye to be the first man to stop him.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Love Hopkins and as canny and skilled as he is wouldn't give him a chance vs Haye. It was Wlad's dimensions more than anything that he couldn't negotiate and he would be facing a smaller man in Hopkins. Even though Haye doesnt have the work rate that has been needed to beat Hopkins in recent times I think at some stage he would land and dont think Hopkins could take that kind of power as good as his chin is. I'd take Haye by mid to late KO while trailing on the cards.

On a side note where would it leave Hopkins in you're ATG rankings if he did somehow win? Would surely put an end to whos legacy was better between himself and RJJ.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 27 Jul 2011, 12:57 pm

They are leagues apart in terms of acheivement and legacy, but I have to agree with Jack that Haye would be too big, quick and punch too hard for Hopkins.

A key thing is that Haye would be relatively unworried by Hopkins power and would be far more prepared to take risks in order to get his own, far heavier, punches off. Pascal hurt Hopkins in both fights, and Haye certainly hits harder than that and is arguably as quick at getting single punches off.

I am no great fan of Haye as a heavyweight, but feel it would be a step too far for Hopkins.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

Hopkins wasn't spoiling for a fight with Haye in this interview just getting the boot in.

Why would Hopkins take such a risk for a non-world champion?!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:05 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Hopkins wasn't spoiling for a fight with Haye in this interview just getting the boot in.

Why would Hopkins take such a risk for a non-world champion?!

Belt or no belt would surely add to his legacy. Also pretty sure the "i'd spot him 20lbs" is a thinly veiled way of saying he'd fight him. I know Hopkins runs his mouth of at the best of times but I think he does fancy himself and thinks he could beat Haye following his showing against Wlad.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

I don't think there's a single fighter in the last thirty years who has continually defied the odds and expectations of his detractors the way Hopkins has. That said, this would be one step too far, even for him.

Great, great fighter. Better still, an all-time great fighter. But he's just not a Heavyweight. He's actually reverted back to his 'seek and destroy' style which he had in the early nineties for his two bouts with Pascal, which suggests to me that his defensive skills may just be on the wane a little (was bound to happen at some stage, the man is forty-six, after all!). As MTWT has pointed out, Pascal caught him a few times, and Haye's power is simply a level or two beyond anything Hopkins will have ever come up against. His performances against Pascal were excellent, but if he fought a genuine Heavyweight like that he wouldn't make it past the mid rounds, I fear.

It will never happen, but if it did I suspect Hopkins would revert back to his cautious style, trying to outbox Haye from range but failing to land enough meaningful shots without getting wobbled himself. Think he'd go in to his shell and look to survive, which given his superb chin and defensive capabilities, he might just manage, although he'd drop a wide decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

Oh right I didn't understand what "spot" him meant Doh

I think it's just Hopkins bragging. He wanted Haye BADLY when he had the WBA belt so he could try to match RJJ. But now he's not got it I think he's just giving Haye a verbal kicking no more!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryMabbuttYidLegend Wed 27 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

At 200lb - 207lb I would back Hopkins. Anything north the fight starts swinging in Hayes favour.

GaryMabbuttYidLegend

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:02 pm

I think it would depend how effectively Hopkins could bulk up. He isnt overly reliant on his speed so additional weight shouldnt be too problematic. At his age now he could be an effective cruiser. A fight at cruiserweight level would be interesting.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:I think it would depend how effectively Hopkins could bulk up. He isnt overly reliant on his speed so additional weight shouldnt be too problematic. At his age now he could be an effective cruiser. A fight at cruiserweight level would be interesting.

Re-match with Tarver perhaps?

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:15 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
Colonial Lion wrote:I think it would depend how effectively Hopkins could bulk up. He isnt overly reliant on his speed so additional weight shouldnt be too problematic. At his age now he could be an effective cruiser. A fight at cruiserweight level would be interesting.

The first was a bore fest where Hoppo put on a display but Tarver was still suffering ill effects from his brutal encounter with Rocky Balboa.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:

The first was a bore fest where Hoppo put on a display but Tarver was still suffering ill effects from his brutal encounter with Rocky Balboa.

I agree that the first fight was dull but Tarver is now a belt holder at CW so it would be the most logical fight for Hopkins if he decides to move up.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 2:32 pm

J.Benson II wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:

I agree that the first fight was dull but Tarver is now a belt holder at CW so it would be the most logical fight for Hopkins if he decides to move up.

Yeah but the IBO? Personally I only recognise the WBC/WBO/IBF/WBA. Would like to see either of them take out the trash in the cruiserweights though. Tarver would school Huck if they met.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:17 pm

Are you serious?...Haye destroys old Popkins

Hopkins can count himself lucky to be in the 2nd round.

Cant believe people are disrespecting a great fighter in Haye therefore they discredit Wladimir's win over him also.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:31 pm

Great fighter, indeed. In any event, twenty-odd fights are seldom enough to be anointing a boxer as "great". On the rare occasions that such a number is sufficient, boxers such as Sugar Ray Leonard are the men at issue.

Haye is no Leonard. One superb win and two or three respectable ones at world level are balanced in the scales by defeats against arguably the best fighter he has faced at each of two weights. Not enough, not even remotely, to be considered more than a good fighter.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:49 pm

Actually I can't think of a single boxer you could call "great" with less than 30 fights. The closest I can come to is Michael Spinks who did 31/32. Not even sure if Leonard was "great" before 30.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

Jeffries and Corbett

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm

Oh yeah forgot about Jeffries. Shame he's mainly known for the one fight he lost though.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

Can't say I ever really think of the Johnson fight when assessing Jeffries

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

Think Haye would be a bridge too far for Hoppo just a bit too big and powerful, Pascal hurt Hoppo so I reckon if Haye landed it would be goodnight... Though Hoppo is no doubt the better boxer!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

For Hopkins to go straight to heavyweight I would say its too much at his age. But if they both met at cruiserweight and Hopkins bulked up some it could be more interesting. I think Hopkins would find it too tough making proper heavyweight anytime soon and doubt Haye could make cruiser anymore either after his 4 years at heavy.

Still wouldnt like to bet money on it though because if Hayes power doesnt get the job done he could be in trouble against someone with Hopkins all around game and ring craft.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

Think the middle ground would be Cruiser but unsure if David could make it anymore to be fair...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down