The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major.

+4
sharrison01
McLaren
Maverick
Yadsendew
8 posters

Go down

Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major. Empty Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major.

Post by Yadsendew Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 0:10

How refreshing for the Ladies to take the lead and introduce the 'Fifth' Ladies Major in 2013 and upgrade the already excellent Evian Masters Course at Lake Geneva Resort and preparing to invest somewhere in the region of 5 to 8 million bringing it up to 'Major Standard'. I think I am right in saying that it will be the first 'Major' venue in Europe outside GB. I recall many of the top brass of the LPGA being against such a proposal some years ago; just goes to show, take the blinkers off and anything can happen.

There are of course 5 Champion Tour Majors 4 in the States together with the Senior Open. In my view the ladies tour has shown the way. I know it's not that much of a big risk, for the Evian Masters event is already very popular, but you still have to give credit for expanding the Major tour circuit to mainland Europe.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major. Empty Re: Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major.

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 0:33

I think this is a great step forward for the ladies game, especially as there has been a sever decline on the LET schedule and some sponsorship losses. So this is a good thing for the ladies game in general and also means the LET can claim it as a home major due to it's location which will help to once again raise it's profile.

For years we've had the 4 mens majors maybe this can help the powers that be realise there is room for a 5th major, that is not played in the states, but maybe somewhere in Europe or the Southern Hemispere.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major. Empty Re: Evian Masters to become the Fifth Ladies Major.

Post by McLaren Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 0:44

Well this is not the first time the ladies game has had a change of major championship status for an event.

If we look at the current and past events that have held this status we can see quite a number of changes

Present

US open (since) 1950
LPGA 1955
Kraft 1983
Open 2001
Evian 2011

Past

Western open 1930-1967
Titleholders 1937-42, 1946-66 and 1972
Du maurier (Canadian open) 1979-2000

If the mens majors have one thing in common, and something the players does not, it is a strong history which creates a feeling of connection between the generations. The womens game at the moment is left with three modern majors and two historic. I wonder if the changing of the statuses over the years has deprived the game of the chance to build a solid history.

Of course each major has the same strength of field, and a higher one than that of a tour event, but the heritage of the events is a massive part of the special status they are given. The changing of the major events also means that they do not build up a well known reputation with which the fans can follow. Everyone knows the mens majors because they never change.

As for the event going to Europe this is odd given the real powerhouses of women’s golf are in Asia now. It goes to show that no matter where the success comes from the events go to where the money is.

A willingness to change can of course be a good thing and provide the flexibility to change with the times, but these are times of Asian success in the womens game.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 1:00

Some good points there Mac - but could I just point out that the 'Evian' is not yet a Major (2013) and history and heritage has to start somewhere.

I don't think there's a lack of funding in Asia though; although I understand many of their 'powerhouse' ladies currently ply their trade on the US tour.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 1:03

I also thought it strange that the money for the game is in Europe - Asia has pretty much all the money in the world at the moment!?!? I suppose the players competing in the West and Asian xenophobia making it tough to do business over there might explain a European based major.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 1:50

Majors, schmajors.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 2:11

Mercurio wrote:Majors, schmajors.

Does that mean were going to see a major in Israel too........ I wonder who they would have as home talent to compete in their Schmajor championship. Long as it doesn't fall on Yom Kippur laughing

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 2:27

Merc. It appears we are taking this off topic.. Even if lighthearted. So to get this back on track allow me to offer apologies to those who find a lighthearted comment inappropriate and get back to the point.

A major in Asia for the ladies game would of course be ideal as there is the money and simply plenty of talent there, however with the way some countries from there do business and treat workers I find it almost impossible to see a major being played there in the near future as many western companies will not offer backing

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 2:54

Is that the case in South Korea, where the largest concentration of the new breed of top Asian women golfers seem to originate, Mav? I thought they and Japan were pretty much on a par with Western economies?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 3:00

SJ i'd agree with you there but unfortunately there are many companies and people that ddo not see beyond certain asian countries and the stigma's of old an unfortunately I come across these often in every day business dealings

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 5:13

I think that 5 majors is one too many

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 5:22

The issue with holding a major in Asia works both ways though because even South Korea and Japan, that have massive Western links, are still quite xenophobic towards the West, making doing any business tough.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 6:50

Bagman wrote:I think that 5 majors is one too many

Inclined to agree although I think 5 is just about OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 7:36

navyblueshorts wrote:
Bagman wrote:I think that 5 majors is one too many

Inclined to agree although I think 5 is just about OK.

I think they should scrap the uspga and have a major in Australia in November/December

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 28 Jul 2011 - 23:30

Scrap the USPGA why?

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagman Fri 29 Jul 2011 - 7:41

Maverick wrote:Scrap the USPGA why?

I think that if you ask any pro if they had a chance to scrap any major it would be the uspga.I also think think three majors in the summer months is a bit much.

Bagman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down