The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does this happen in the media in other countries?

+27
Full Credit
SirJohnnyEnglish
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Standulstermen
Eustace H Plimsoll
Bathite
Pal Joey
geoff998rugby
nathan
HammerofThunor
snoopster
OzT
Manu's Boxing Coach
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
rodders
Artful_Dodger
GunsGerms
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
Effervescing Elephant
TheGreyGhost
greybeard
Biltong
screamingaddabs
lostinwales
ScarletSpiderman
Toadfish
31 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does this happen in the media in other countries? Empty Does this happen in the media in other countries?

Post by Toadfish Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:49 am

Just seen this story on the BBC Sport website this morning. I’m sure it’s not the first article like this I’ve seen recently but struggling to think who else has come out with this sort of thing. As far as I am concerned there is only really one stand out team going into this year’s world cup and so these stories could appear about pretty much every country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14334130.stm

England will not win Rugby World Cup - Eddie Jones

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones has said that England have a weakness at half-back which means they will not win the Rugby World Cup.
"I don't think Ben Youngs is a Test half-back," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live. "He is good on go-forward ball but when the ball gets slow he struggles to make decisions and I think Toby Flood is the same, which is a big weakness. "That combination means I don't think they can win the World Cup."

There seems to be quite a diverse crowd here on 606v2 so my question is this. Does this type of story appear in other countries media too? Is Austin Healey doing an interview in Fiji telling them they haven’t got a hope in hell? Is Francois Pienaar doing the same thing in Scotland?

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Does this happen in the media in other countries? Empty Re: Does this happen in the media in other countries?

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:52 am

It does happen, however in Wales it is usually Graham Henry saying that we have our best chance yet.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Does this happen in the media in other countries? Empty Re: Does this happen in the media in other countries?

Post by lostinwales Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:53 am

Down with that sort of thing!!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:53 am

As someone said before on a different thread, it's always ex Aussie coaches/players.

I call it Campese syndrome
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

You will find this type of report anywhere, but to base an opinion of a whole team on one player is ludicrous.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:55 am

screamingaddabs wrote:As someone said before on a different thread, it's always ex Aussie coaches/players.

I call it Campese syndrome

Bob Dwyer springs to mind too.

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 29 Jul 2011, 8:57 am

Are there pundits lining up everywhere to count teams out? No.

Are there journalists everywhere ready to ignore 95% of an interview and write "X sticks the boot in to Y" all based on one sentence... yes.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

greybeard wrote:Are there journalists everywhere ready to ignore 95% of an interview and write "X sticks the boot in to Y" all based on one sentence... yes.

I would agree with that. There's lazy journalism, but there's also lazy reading (only the headline).

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

Yes. Geography has meant we have to live next to this kind of thing for a couple of centuries. They're always mouthing off about something. Either they're going to win, or NZ cheated when Australia lost, or the sport itself is stupid and nobody cares except the silly old Kiwis, and their sheep.

Next will be the in-depth video analysis proving how superior Australia are, with endless slow-mo's of English half backs dropping the ball, getting charged down, or kicking the ball out on the full when an overlap beckoned. Posted from an apparently autonomous provider who coincidentally make exactly the same points.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:03 am

GG, at least they won't have Inverdale fapping over a montage of Wilko place kicks. Makes me cringe.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:07 am

The thing is I don't really mind it when an Aussie coach/ex-player does this kind of thing. It's kind of what I expect and it would feel weird if they stopped.

I want my Aussies to be like Alf Stewart threatening young hoons about 'coming the raw prawn' like 'a great galah' Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:09 am

We have our own cross to bear with the oratory musings of Murray Mexted, not to mention the increasingly senile Sean Fitzpatrick and his increasingly transparent on air sucking up to the host broadcaster's union, and apparently decreasingly restrained off-air antics.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:10 am

Ha ha, yeah I wasn't really aiming this at the Australians but now you mention in Glen McGraths predictions in the cricket are always classic.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:17 am

I would say that if Eddie Jones is going to point out a weakness at least get the weakness right!

The centres!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:22 am

Toadfish wrote:Just seen this story on the BBC Sport website this morning. I’m sure it’s not the first article like this I’ve seen recently but struggling to think who else has come out with this sort of thing. As far as I am concerned there is only really one stand out team going into this year’s world cup and so these stories could appear about pretty much every country.

England will not win Rugby World Cup - Eddie Jones

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones has said that England have a weakness at half-back which means they will not win the Rugby World Cup.
"I don't think Ben Youngs is a Test half-back," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live. "He is good on go-forward ball but when the ball gets slow he struggles to make decisions and I think Toby Flood is the same, which is a big weakness. "That combination means I don't think they can win the World Cup."

There seems to be quite a diverse crowd here on 606v2 so my question is this. Does this type of story appear in other countries media too? Is Austin Healey doing an interview in Fiji telling them they haven’t got a hope in hell? Is Francois Pienaar doing the same thing in Scotland?

Ha, ha, no - nobody rates us Scots enough to warrant such a comment!

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:33 am

Never rated Eddie Jones myself. As for Youngs and Flood. I disagree with him on Youngs. I think he is exceptionally talented. However, Flood while he is decent I reckon he doesn't have the mental toughness to ever be a great player. He looks class when his team is on the front foot but doesn't seem to know what to do when chips are down. Sometimes looks a little lost.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Does this happen in the media in other countries? Empty Eddie Jones says England wont win WC

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:43 am

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones says England wont win the WC because Flood and Youngs are not "Test half-backs".

My thoughts are that Care should be playing at scrum half anyway, unfortunately I think Wilkinsons game is too limited for him to start at 10, so it has to be Flood. I do agree with him that Youngs and Flood are very good on the front foot but all over the place whilst on the back foot.

Discuss

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

Sorry Dodger, there is already a thread about that.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

Doh I did look.....

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 29 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

They really have no other option at 10, Wilkinson's game is far too limited.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

Toadfish wrote:

I agree totally with Eddie about Youngs and in particular Flood. Great with space and go forward ball but poor under pressure and easily ruffled.

I wouldn't say you could rule England out of winning the WC just on this though as if the English pack is dominant enough then they can keep some of the pressure of theri half backs.

If the UK media are going to ask people what they think of Englands WC chances then people shouldn't get upset if the answer isn't what they want to hear.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

No worries, will merge them Smile

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

Who's upset? I happen to agree with him about our chances although not his reasoning. All I wanted to know was if these types of headlines hit the media in other countries? Anyone got any examples if they have?

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

He does talk some sense though Eddie, but isnt it the same for all half backs? If the aussies had slow dodgy ball from the forwards would they be as effective? I am not sure they would and would struggle to create as much as they do.

Also Youngs and Flood have no other options of creativity in the England back line as Hape and Tindall can't create their own space they have to be put into it. Ashton isn't a creative winger he supports runners very well and picks good lines. Foden can create things for himself but most of the time on the counter attack

So England's problem with slow ball is lack of creative options in the centre not the half backs.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:So England's problem with slow ball is lack of creative options in the centre not the half backs.

It's more than that. Top fly halves don't slice their place kicks under pressure and Youngs has a habit of taking the wrong option and getting petulent when the opposition get in his face. There may be an issue with the Australian half backs, I haven't seen enough of them to comment, but I think there is definitely with Youngs and Flood and 3 or 4 times this season they went to pieces in big games.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:34 am

Toadfish wrote:Who's upset? I happen to agree with him about our chances although not his reasoning. All I wanted to know was if these types of headlines hit the media in other countries? Anyone got any examples if they have?

I'm too hungover today to go looking for quotes, but "Look what that idiot Stephen Jones (the "journalist" not the player) is saying about NZ rugby now" stories are quite common in the NZ media.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

So you went drinking last night and didn't invite the 606'ers huh??

Fine.

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

OzT wrote:So you went drinking last night and didn't invite the 606'ers huh??

Fine.

Smile

It was work drinks Smile. And budgets were tight - we bought booze from the supermarket and spent 3 hours sitting in St James Park drinking them/ throwing a Frisbee around. Extra entertainment was provided by a Saffa couple who spent an hour or so randy 50 yards away from us. Shocked
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Fri 29 Jul 2011, 10:59 am

roddersm

I do think Flood does need to show some good temperament in the RWC and prove to everyone he is a top quality test fly half, by controlling a game from start to finish and getting all of his kicks in a big game and never looking out of control. I think Youngs does have a better temperament but I do agree i t could still be improved.

However it most be a lot easier for the likes or Sexton to know out side him he has got BOD to rely on, and the same with Cooper with players like Kurtley Beale to know he doesn't have to be the only creative threat with Genia. When if you think about it if I was Flood or Youngs I would feel a lot of responsibility knowing when they look outside of them they see Hape and Tindall. No one really to share any creative responsibility with.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:
However it most be a lot easier for the likes or Sexton to know out side him he has got BOD to rely on, and the same with Cooper with players like Kurtley Beale to know he doesn't have to be the only creative threat with Genia. When if you think about it if I was Flood or Youngs I would feel a lot of responsibility knowing when they look outside of them they see Hape and Tindall. No one really to share any creative responsibility with.

Manu that's an interesting point. However if you look at Sexton in the big games, he doesn't look for other people to share the responsibility, he steps up and takes control. O'Gara is the same. I'm not saying they never make mistakes but they're not the kind of players who go into a shell or lose their cool under pressure. Wilkinson is another example but I'm not sure if he can release the backline as well as flood.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:16 am

roddersm
I think you're being a bit unfair - this is only really Youngs's second season and he's not had much exposure to playing behind a pack under pressure so it has been a learning experience... and a scrum half being petulant? I thought it was only worth mentioning if one wasn't petulant?
For Flood slicing kicks - read Cockerill's comments about it, he went to the AIs in great form and his kicking accurcy was superb then the England kicking coach worked on changing his style and since then his kicking has been really hit or miss. Still not as bad as Sexton's cameo against Wales mind Wink

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:21 am

roddersm wrote:
Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:

Manu that's an interesting point. However if you look at Sexton in the big games, he doesn't look for other people to share the responsibility, he steps up and takes control. O'Gara is the same. I'm not saying they never make mistakes but they're not the kind of players who go into a shell or lose their cool under pressure. Wilkinson is another example but I'm not sure if he can release the backline as well as flood.

You don't need to actively lean on someone to gain support. Just knowing they're there is a benefit. It's one of the reasons I feel so sorry for Hodgson. Most of his caps seemed to have come with Tindall and Noon outside him.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:33 am

Guys relax I'm just expressing an opinion that I think there is a bit of a weakness there. I'm not saying Youngs and Flood aren't ever going to be top players. However if I was in a tight WC QF game I'm not sure that I'd want Youngs and Flood pulling the strings right now, which is a bit like what Jones was saying.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Does this happen in the media in other countries? Empty Jones doesn't think Youngs is a test 9

Post by nathan Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:36 am

"I don't think Ben Youngs is a Test half-back," Jones told BBC Radio 5 live. "He is good on go-forward ball but when the ball gets slow he struggles to make decisions and I think Toby Flood is the same, which is a big weakness. "That combination means I don't think they can win the World Cup." Youngs, who made his Test debut in 2010, has only 12 international caps but impressed when England beat Australia at Twickenham last November, setting up Chris Ashton's length-of-the-field try. He underwent knee surgery earlier this month but is expected to be fit for the World Cup. While he does not think they are likely winners, Jones does accept that England have some strengths which mean they will still be challengers at the tournament, which begins in New Zealand on 9 September. "Their pack will be very strong, their line-out and scrum will be good and they have pace on the wing in Ashton," he added. "They will be competitive because of their forward pack, but that's the case with England at most World Cups.
"Of the other leading sides, the Australian team is based around very young players and South Africa have not gone as far forward as they would have wanted in the last four years. "New Zealand should win but watching them play I think they are in danger of becoming too complicated for themselves. They play best when they use their athleticism and power." England, who face Wales in their first World Cup warm-up game at Twickenham on 6 August, played a behind-closed-doors game of 20 minutes each way at the Twickenham Stoop on Thursday.

There was a scare for Courtney Lawes as he suffered a neck injury and was taken to hospital for a precautionary X-ray but the Northampton lock was subsequently given the all-clear. Saracens wing David Strettle also had to leave the action with a leg injury. Team manager Martin Johnson said: "It was a good end to the week and the boys enjoyed having a run-out in a different environment. "Inevitably it was competitive and you wouldn't have it any other way. But to be honest the whole training camp has had that edge that you want from a group of players vying for 30 spots."

Source: BBC

What are peoples thoughts? Personally i don't agree, 99% of half backs will struggle when their pack isnt doing their job.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:
OzT wrote:So you went drinking last night and didn't invite the 606'ers huh??

Fine.

Smile

It was work drinks Smile. And budgets were tight - we bought booze from the supermarket and spent 3 hours sitting in St James Park drinking them/ throwing a Frisbee around. Extra entertainment was provided by a Saffa couple who spent an hour or so randy 50 yards away from us. Shocked

Have always admired the stamina of the Saffas!!

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

Standard pre WC Wind Up.

Everyone knows England's weaknesses are Centre and Back Row not Half Back.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:40 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Extra entertainment was provided by a Saffa couple who spent an hour or so randy 50 yards away from us. Shocked
How do you know they were Saffas? Do they have a unique style? censored

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:Extra entertainment was provided by a Saffa couple who spent an hour or so randy 50 yards away from us. Shocked
How do you know they were Saffas? Do they have a unique style? censored

Later on the guy came over to help retrieve our Frisbee from a ways up a tree. The accent was a giveaway Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Did you wipe down the frisbee afterwards, kiwi? Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

It was obvious they weren't particularly good at it, and the suspicion was that the real couple were in a secret randy training camp in Rustenberg?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:47 am

Wouldnt say the back row was a weakness, just struggling to fit all the players in, probably the area with most depth.

Centres is of course dire, with no obvious back ups either

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Eustace H Plimsoll Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

He's obviously had a dip in form but he's previously played so well at test level people were raving about him. Even when playing badly he looks dangerous. I think he's one of England's most important players.

Eustace H Plimsoll

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

Against the top teams i think backrow is a slight weakness. Not as pronounced as centre but definately a slight weakness

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:50 am

How many people are going to start a thread on this? without reading the existing one already there?

Honestly this is like Gavin Henson says on 606.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

You dont have a top class 8 and of the Tri Nations and the 6N teams which is it better than ? It is definitely worse than many

It is a weakness

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

We were outdone against the irish at the breakdown but that has been going on for a long while and SOB had a brilliant game. But overall against big teams I think are back row has stood up and done well. The one problem is sometimes lack of numbers in the breakdown but thats more of a coaching problem and I do think will be improved with Lawes returning.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 29 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Haskell/Croft
Wood/Moody
Easter

Kaino
McCaw
Read

Elsom
Pocock
Higginbotham/Palu

Smith
Burger/Brussouw
Spies

SOB/Ferris
Wallace
Heaslip

France backrow could be anything except with Dusatoir ever present.
Out of that list i would suggest Englands backrow is the weakest.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Haskell/Croft
Wood/Moody
Easter

Kaino
McCaw
Read

Elsom
Pocock
Higginbotham/Palu

Smith
Burger/Brussouw
Spies

SOB/Ferris
Wallace
Heaslip

France backrow could be anything except with Dusatoir ever present.
Out of that list i would suggest Englands backrow is the weakest.

I'd agree, but if 5th in the world is perceived as a weakens, then thats not a disaster

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

Absolutely not Bathite but its part of the reason i dont think England can beat the 3N. Ireland too but areas of weakness for ireland are different

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 29 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

I think theres a lot more reasons that England wont win the world cup than their half back pairing dithering at times.

Is he honestly saying that with Chuck Norris at 9 England would win the world cup? Is the rest of the side that great ?

What makes it even dafter is that England have played their best rugby in years with Youngs at 9, and their attacking game has sped up considerably. Yeah he might not be the greatest player ever but to single him out asa the reason they arent the 2003 side is silly.

It really is the time of year when any old ex pro or hack can right some random attack on any player or shirt and generate internet meltdown sinmply because theres no actual rugby to watch.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next