The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which countries could YOU represent?

+55
aitchw
Imperialbigdave
21st Century Schizoid Man
funnyExiledScot
dallym
Luckless Pedestrian
dgttaylor
offload
Sam
Cryptoyourisan
Taffineastbourne
poddy89
Effervescing Elephant
Driver
twoeightnine
Mr Bounce
Pal Joey
dummy_half
B91212
Submachine
R!skysports
whocares
kiakahaaotearoa
Galted
disneychilly
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
RuggerRadge2611
Mind the windows Tino.
Exiledinborders
AlastairW
RuggerBoy
Notch
thebluesmancometh
Cyril
GunsGerms
Glas a du
mckay1402
kingjohn7
bsando
westisbest
Knackeredknees
IanBru
robbo277
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
plenth
HammerofThunor
Geordie
SubsBench
Looseheaded
Cari
Biltong
welshy6
59 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which countries could YOU represent? Empty Which countries could YOU represent?

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

Abiding by the current rules of eligibility which countries could you represent in Rugby?

Back to top Go down

Which countries could YOU represent? Empty Re: Which countries could YOU represent?

Post by welshy6 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

Welsh, living in Wales with Welsh parents with one English grandparent. So just Wales and England

however my Cousin could represent England through birth, Welsh through his mother and Australia through residency

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Which countries could YOU represent? Empty Re: Which countries could YOU represent?

Post by Biltong Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

South Adrica, South Africa and South africa
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

Ummm, I'm not really familiar with the eligibility rules exactly, but I think I could represent Wales, Austria or possibly Croatia. I was born and bred in Wales, dad's Welsh, mam is Austrian and her dad was a Croat...do grandparents count? Thinking of grannygate... Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 25 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

Wales and England.

Oh how very boring.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:35 pm

Wales. Welsh parents and grandparents and live in Wales. Living in Chester for almost a year is the closest I get to dual nationality.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Wales. Probably Ireland.

Depending on residency rules and whether time spent as part of the Forces count, Germany and Scotland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

Born in England
Dads English
Mums Scottish
Granddad Irish
Lived in Liberia for years and years so could probably get selected for them...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:08 pm

England. That's it unfortunately. My nan was from down south though.

Geordie, unless you live there now you're not eligible.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 25 Jan 2013, 10:31 pm

Mate its Liberia...they'd even let me play for them Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by plenth Fri 25 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm

England or Italy are the only two I'd consider, but I believe I'd also be eligible for Scotland, Ireland & Spain.

I was born and raised in England. My father was born and raised in Scotland to Italian parents. My mother's mother had dual Irish & Spanish nationality.

plenth

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 25 Jan 2013, 11:29 pm

England through all possible routes
Scotland and Ireland through grandparents
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 26 Jan 2013, 12:54 am

Hong Kong - born in HK
England - English parents, lived most of my life in England, though with parents in the Foreign Services, we moved around a lot.
Wales - one Welsh grandparent.
US - possibly America, but not sure. Living there now and have more than three years resident, but not consecutive. Still and forever a UK citizen.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

Wales (born, and Father), Ireland (Mother from Belfast).

Lived in England for 4 years as a student so could have been selected for them then, but moved back to civilisation in 2000 so England missed out. Big time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:30 am

Good thread by the way. It will go someway to show the complex nature of international selection and eligibility. We are all passionate supporters of one country usually, and we often cannot believe that a player turns down the country of his birth to represent another, yet the early trends show that most of us on here could throw our hat in with 2 or 3 nations at least. The trend is only set to increase now with the increasingly transient nature of employment and aspirations to try out opportunities in another country/culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

New Zealand by birth, England qualified by residency
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sat 26 Jan 2013, 9:57 am

Born in England, both my parents were born in England, all 4 of my grandparents were born in England and I've lived in England all my life. I think I would have to go back to my grandparent's grandparent to qualify for another country, but that's stretching it a bit!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 26 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

Scotland - parents
England - birth
Zimbabwe - grandparent
USA - residence (though it has lapsed now, I guess.)
Australia - I once watched Bazz Lurrman's 'Australia' all the way through. Bloody hell.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

England - Parents
Wales - One grandparent
ROW - Due to being born in international waters

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Ireland & England.

Born in Ireland. Irish mother, as our the majority of my family.

Dad's english.

Lived in Ireland for about 3 years, then moved to Nigeria for about 3 years, then to Birmingham, then down south.

Always supported Ireland, in all sports.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:45 am

Scotland/Australia/England

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

Wales England Scotland Ireland

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 26 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

I could represent England by birth, Scotland and Ireland on my dads side and Wales and Ireland on my mums side. I could represent the lions basically
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 26 Jan 2013, 1:16 pm

We're a right bunch of mongrels aren't we? It's great! We could do a V2 World Cup...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 26 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

Wales. A great grandmother was Scottish, but I don't think that counts. I've only lived outside Wales for a year, and that was only just over the border in Chester.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 26 Jan 2013, 1:56 pm

P.S. Kennedy Clan.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

Wales by birth and Iraq through fathers side.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:17 pm

Born in Australia, Iiving in Ireland. Irish parents. Dual nationality.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

Yorkshire and England.

Lived in Wales half my life but moved back now so residency has lapsed. Never mind.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 26 Jan 2013, 8:34 pm

Wales by birth, Scotland and Ireland through grandparents (one set) couldve qualified for England and Austria by residency, plus I must have English in my Heritage somewhere because of my surname.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Jan 2013, 11:52 pm

Ireland- birth, nationality, parentage

Scotland- 3 year residency (although I've since moved back home, so does this still count or not?)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Sun 27 Jan 2013, 11:29 am

Wales by Birth, parentage, grand-parentage etc.
England by residency, but then again why would I want to! Ok!

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

I reckon getting IanBru and Cari together would be a interesting genetic experiment!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

Grandparents from Australia, England, Germany & Wales. So any of them.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

Or you Alistair!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun 27 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

Very Happy

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 27 Jan 2013, 3:38 pm

Irish grandparents, born in England and live in Scotland so could represent Ireland, Scotland or England. When I played I was utter rubbish so that would qualify me for Wales.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 27 Jan 2013, 7:57 pm

RuggerBoy wrote:Wales by Birth, parentage, grand-parentage etc.
England by residency, but then again why would I want to! Ok!

True. Given Wales give out caps like sweets it makes sense giving them a crack. Barbarians? Really? Very Happy

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:22 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Mate its Liberia...they'd even let me play for them Very Happy

Laugh

I have something similar! England, Scotland and Egypt for me.

I am English, my old man is a Scot, my dear old mother was born in Egypt to English parents.

Stretching the eligibility rule a touch but I'm sure I could get a game for Egypt, even though I have never been there.

Thinking about it, even though I haven't played for about 8 years, I reckon I could get in the current Egypt team tomorrow. If, of course, one even exists!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

Scotland - Birth/Mum
Wales - Dad
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:55 am

English by birth
Welsh through a grandparent
Aussie through a grandparent-I think? He was born in England, moved out to Oz and then came back here later. So he lived there for years and years but is it only grandparents birthplaces that qualify you?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:14 am

England and Scotland for me.

English parents, and born here, but Scottish Grandfather.

Related to almost every single person on the Orkney Isles!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm

NZ by everything you can get pretty much. Lived in Ireland for over three years so Ireland on residency now I guess. Wouldn't matter though. Even if I did play professionally to a super high level I support my team so much that the thought of running out against them and doing my darndest to make them lose is unpalatable enough to make me only declare myself available for the country of my birth.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:43 pm

Biltong wrote:South Adrica, South Africa and South africa

& thus England

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

Galted wrote:
Biltong wrote:South Adrica, South Africa and South africa

& thus England

Laugh

Early contender for funny post of the year!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:43 pm

NZ by birth but had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Merths (Spencer here and there) and then Carter. That's the only reason. I'm the better flyhalf but they played the politics game so much better. Whistle

My Scottish father strangely hasn't seen me called up for the national squad. Again I play politics.

My English grandparents on my mother's side could qualify me for England and there was a time when that was possible to get me into the Welsh squad too.

Through residency I could qualify for France (97-00 in the past) and Spain (05-13). Politics in those countries. Don't get me started...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:NZ by birth but had the misfortune of playing at the same time as Merths (Spencer here and there) and then Carter. That's the only reason. I'm the better flyhalf but they played the politics game so much better. Whistle

My Scottish father strangely hasn't seen me called up for the national squad. Again I play politics.

My English grandparents on my mother's side could qualify me for England and there was a time when that was possible to get me into the Welsh squad too.

Through residency I could qualify for France (97-00 in the past) and Spain (05-13). Politics in those countries. Don't get me started...

are you Leon McDonald?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:09 pm

I'm a proud Canterbury man but never made top level rugby whocares. It had nothing to do with talent. I didn't have any. It was all about politics...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:15 pm

Scotland by birth
England by Residency
Portugal by turning 18 there and throwing up
New Zealand - as they are really just Scottish
Australia - as they are really just naughty Scottish

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 28 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

Blydi politics Rolling Eyes

Exactly the same with me Kia. I had a promising career lined up until the 'pettycoat government' got elected.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next