The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

+13
Doc
GunsGerms
MontysMerkin
Shotrock
pedro
McLaren
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
kwinigolfer
1GrumpyGolfer
super_realist
incontinentia
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics Empty G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by incontinentia Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/graeme-mcdowell-looks-set-to-represent-ireland-at-olympics-29771138.html

And I bet Rory will follow suit. Good news for Ireland as we need top athletes like Graeme to represent us and hopefully increase the medal haul.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics Empty Re: G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by super_realist Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

incontinentia wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/graeme-mcdowell-looks-set-to-represent-ireland-at-olympics-29771138.html

And I bet Rory will follow suit. Good news for Ireland as we need top athletes like Graeme to represent us and hopefully increase the medal haul.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics Empty Re: G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I've read the BBC version of this and in a sense McDowell has made the choice by opting to play for Ireland in the World Cup this week. He's not playing with McIlroy this time but with Lowry. It would be interesting to see what McIlroy does next time the World Cup is played.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Imagine everyone - except Harrington - will be happy if both play for Ireland; no sign of another young Irish player coming out of the woodwork (impossible in Lowry's case), so all the more chances for the English/Scottish nearly men.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:56 pm

If someone competes as northern Irish for the whole year, why wouldn't they compete under great Britain and northern Ireland at the Olympics?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Probably because the Irish have acted very peevish and bitterly to the topic of Pube Head and G Fat possibly representing GB&I

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 pm

beninho wrote:If someone competes as northern Irish for the whole year, why wouldn't they compete under great Britain and northern Ireland at the Olympics?
According to the BBC report "Olympic rules state that he could only play for Team GB if three years have passed since representing Ireland. "

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:31 pm

super_realist wrote:Probably because the Irish have acted very peevish and bitterly to the topic of Pube Head and G Fat possibly representing GB&I
Ireland can have them. G-Mac isn't exactly on fire these days is he and as for McIlroy, who cares? Obviously, GB&I don't have any decent players capable of matching or beating them....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:43 pm

gmac is having a much better season than Westwood, Donald poulter or any other brit.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:49 pm

No World Cup for Rory before 2016 that's for sure. He's too chicken to take a defacto decision on who (not) to represent in the olympics, hoping for somebody else to take the decision for him. I don't blame him though.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

Mac - Even Justin Rose?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:13 pm

He is south african.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:16 am

Mac - I had forgotten that. But English enough to be on the RC team!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:40 am

I was only kidding, I had somehow forgotten about him when listing the brits.

Still, I think gmac had 3 wins this year and has maintained a decent OWGR position, and had a chance to win the race to Dubai right up to the last event.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 am

I thought gmac and pubelton had fallen out over the management company thing. Wasn't pubelton peed off finding out that gmac was a major share holder in the company he moved to? May have dreamt it tho...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:56 am

Great news and as expected to be honest. Think I would prefer GMac to represent Ireland than McIlroy anyway if I had to choose.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:57 am

No doubt the Brits will try to change the 3 years rule if Mcilroy follows suit.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am

This should be a pointless non-event, as I have yet to read anything about the ancient greeks playing golf on the fields of Marathon.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:49 am

Doc wrote:This should be a pointless non-event, as I have yet to read anything about the ancient greeks playing golf on the fields of Marathon.
More or less agree but you could say that of quite a lot of Olympic events. BMX, Cycling, Table tennis, tennis, football, rugby 7s. The list goes on and on.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 am

GunsGerms wrote:No doubt the Brits will try to change the 3 years rule if Mcilroy follows suit.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:28 pm

If McIlroy is undecided who to represent, let Ireland have him . . . . .
Good riddance (sentiments for the Olympics only, Rory, love ya really).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:33 pm

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/graeme-mcdowell-looks-set-to-represent-ireland-at-olympics-29771138.html

Yep - in my opinion golf is a game not a sport and has players not athletes.  That's not to say some of the people that play it aren't athletic, but I'd struggle with putting GMac in that group.

But back to the main point - the national allegiance of Rory and GMac came up for debate some time ago, and was a triumph of the ill-informed arguing with the closed minded.  Can we not do it again?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Germs fully agree mate, but as far as GMac goes let him go for Ireland, no problem. It will be his reputation that gets tarnished back home in the north where a majority of his local demographic think of themselves as being UK. Brave but possibly stupid which means Rory will follow suit especially as he now runs his management.

On the wider subject though regarding the olympics and world cup, do we think that the end of the road is near. Besides the massive corruption involved in the bidding process and less than savoury characters at the top of the sports. It now seems that any country who wins the bid will go bankrupt. We were lucky as the crash had just happened and we seemed to do a brilliant job even though underlying issues are still turning up. Huge cost, did we benefit and how many regions actually lost out and then besides West Ham where is the legacy? We can clearly see the huge issues which are shortly to befall Brazil for the WC and the toxic problem brewing regarding 2022 in the desert, which could also impact the winter olympics. Its a joke and unsustainable as a model in todays economy.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Yep - in my opinion golf is a game not a sport and has players not athletes.  That's not to say some of the people that play it aren't athletic, but I'd struggle with putting GMac in that group.

But back to the main point - the national allegiance of Rory and GMac came up for debate some time ago, and was a triumph of the ill-informed arguing with the closed minded.  Can we not do it again?
I respectfully disagree Bob/Super. Athleticism has many different components. Strength, flexibility and co-ordination are some of the components needed for golf. It may not be aerobically taxing but it is an athletic endeavour nonetheless.

And I look forward to G-Mac and/or Rory standing tall before the tri-colour, accepting their gold medals as Amhran na bhFiann plays in the background.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:34 pm

It's 3 years from now so Rory and Gmac may be forgotten by then. Then there'll only  be Barbapapa and Lloyd Christmas left, who - at least according to super I guess - would be more fitting representatives of the emerald isle. Run

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Doc wrote:Germs fully agree mate, but as far as GMac goes let him go for Ireland, no problem. It will be his reputation that gets tarnished back home in the north where a majority of his local demographic think of themselves as being UK. Brave but possibly stupid which means Rory will follow suit especially as he now runs his management.

On the wider subject though regarding the olympics and world cup, do we think that the end of the road is near. Besides the massive corruption involved in the bidding process and less than savoury characters at the top of the sports. It now seems that any country who wins the bid will go bankrupt. We were lucky as the crash had just happened and we seemed to do a brilliant job even though underlying issues are still turning up. Huge cost, did we benefit and how many regions actually lost out and then besides West Ham where is the legacy? We can clearly see the huge issues which are shortly to befall Brazil for the WC and the toxic problem brewing regarding 2022 in the desert, which could also impact the winter olympics. Its a joke and unsustainable as a model in todays economy.
Not sure the majority of people in the North think of themselves as being from the UK. There are simlilar numbers of catholics to protestants in NI. Id say more importantly a lot of people from NI would consider themselves to be a product of both cultures.

However, in this case you have to make a decision and why wouldnt he choose Ireland since he is a product of the GUI and has represented Ireland before. Seems like a logical choice and dont recall there being any problem when he represented Ireland in the past.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 pm

No matter who Gmac and Rory represent; so long as they win medal they will be claimed by the British media.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Probably because they are British.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Probably because they are British.
How do you know? They have the right to claim Irish, British or both nationalities if they choose.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Probably because they are British.
Just like Katie Taylor was?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Honestly? Not bovvered. Poultry n Rosey are gonna win it anyway....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Katie Taylor: And your point is . . . . ?
I'm assuming you do have one??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Isn't she the moron with massive knockers? Def irish
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:31 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Katie Taylor: And your point is . . . . ?
I'm assuming you do have one??
My point, is any Irishman/women who achieves any sort of success in sport is claimed as British by the media.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Well that's one. And it was swiftly retracted after someones nan noticed. Any others?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, Well,
Don't know anything about Katie Taylor's background (except Merkin's assertion about the cubic capacity of her knockers) but from everything I've read about her she seems to be Irish, unequivocally so.

But there are ample reasons for the British press claiming British success for British athletes, even if they choose to represent someone else.

Good luck to them whoever they play for.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:42 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Honestly? Not bovvered. Poultry n Rosey are gonna win it anyway....
Spose it isnt a major golf tournament so they have a chance.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Yes, Well,
Don't know anything about Katie Taylor's background (except Merkin's assertion about the cubic capacity of her knockers) but from everything I've read about her she seems to be Irish, unequivocally so.

But there are ample reasons for the British press claiming British success for British athletes, even if they choose to represent someone else.

Good luck to them whoever they play for.
Her dad is actually English in fairness. That probably explains why she is perceived as a moron.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:48 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Well that's one. And it was swiftly retracted after someones nan noticed. Any others?
There has been many.

A lot of boxers such as Matthew Macklin (has said many times that he is a proud irishman despite being born in Birmingham), Barry McGuigan, Carl Frampton    and also a lot of amateur boxers that do well in the major competitions. I remember the Irish national boxing coach complaining about it.
I've even seen Brian O'Driscoll being claimed.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Honestly? Not bovvered. Poultry n Rosey are gonna win it anyway....
Cheeky, Rose won the bloody US Open!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Well that's one. And it was swiftly retracted after someones nan noticed. Any others?
There has been many.

A lot of boxers such as Matthew Macklin (has said many times that he is a proud irishman despite being born in Birmingham), Barry McGuigan, Carl Frampton    and also a lot of amateur boxers that do well in the major competitions. I remember the Irish national boxing coach complaining about it.
Not sure if boxing is considered a sport - lamping fook out of each other may be considered such in Ireland but here it is undertaken by fools on a Friday night oot in toon.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
A proud English name if ever I heard one!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:58 pm

the british media have claimed Bono and Colin Farrell too
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:59 pm

incontinentia wrote:the british media have claimed Bono and Colin Farrell too
and Jedward!!!!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Well you can keep that quartet of mumbling moronic arsehats thankyou.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:00 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Cheeky, Rose won the bloody US Open!
I know. Must have been a massive relief?

Was happy for him. Poulter and Rose are my favorite English golfers. I figured Poulter would be the first to win one.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Well you can keep that quartet of mumbling moronic arsehats thankyou.
Ah no the Irish are actually happy about them being claimed as British.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm

Not a relief as such, but the way he piped that 4 iron into the 18th made me stand up, salute my portrait of HRH and knock one out to the National Anthem.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:03 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Well you can keep that quartet of mumbling moronic arsehats thankyou.
Ah no the Irish are actually happy about them being claimed as British.
Well just shows we're equal opportunities round here Wink
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:22 pm

incontinentia wrote:the british media have claimed Bono and Colin Farrell too
and Bono has claimed the country that offers him lower taxes.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next