The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

+13
Doc
GunsGerms
MontysMerkin
Shotrock
pedro
McLaren
navyblueshorts
I'm never wrong
beninho
kwinigolfer
1GrumpyGolfer
super_realist
incontinentia
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics - Page 2 Empty G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by incontinentia Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/graeme-mcdowell-looks-set-to-represent-ireland-at-olympics-29771138.html

And I bet Rory will follow suit. Good news for Ireland as we need top athletes like Graeme to represent us and hopefully increase the medal haul.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by GunsGerms Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

pedro wrote:
incontinentia wrote:the british media have claimed Bono and Colin Farrell too
and Bono has claimed the country that offers him lower taxes.
What are you saying, Bono is from Holland?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics - Page 2 Empty Re: G-Mac to represent Ireland at the Olympics

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:37 pm

It's alright, the USA has claimed gazillions of its own as Irish; somehow they never claim to be English, Welsh or Scottish (and certainly not French), just Irish  . . . . . . . and Italian and Polish.

Very bizarre.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

Think it's cos when certain populations were down on their luck they moved to USA. Hence a nation of, well, I don't know how to put it without coming across as rude.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

Monty, True,
But plenty of other nations sent millions of emigrants to the US.
Conveniently ignored.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:48 pm

but monty, from being a nation of outcasts the US has faired reasonably well since.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

Irish pride runs VERY deep in the US. My mostly Irish wife is from Havertown, PA which is known as the 33r'd county. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havertown,_PA

And Monty's right (IMO), US largely a nation of outcasts (my father, for example, an immigrant and NOT because his family was doing well in Bavaria in the 1920's!)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:It's alright, the USA has claimed gazillions of its own as Irish; somehow they never claim to be English, Welsh or Scottish (and certainly not French), just Irish  . . . . . . . and Italian and Polish.

Very bizarre.
Not bizarre, just Catholic. If you get my drift...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu 21 Nov 2013, 4:01 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Monty, True,
But plenty of other nations sent millions of emigrants to the US.
Conveniently ignored.
Ah but none have that sparkling wit and repartee like the boys from the emerald isle. The fact that they breed like rabbits (prob due to poor reading skills) helps!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:25 pm

In my experience America is full of emigrants claiming heritage of countries they wouldn't go back to if you paid them to - Shotrock's native turf has a huge Italian community yet if you sent them back they'd complain about the food:
"Went to Milan and couldn't find any riggies!"

Come on, you're American, get over it!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:49 pm

Isn't that the truth Kwin ... and don't get me started on the homemade wine I had to pleasantly endure from those proud immigrant families (who, btw, I truly do enjoy and claim as lifelong friends)! Fun stuff.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

thumbsup
As the great Steve Earle (no, not the Fulham one) sang:
"Livin' in a City of Immigrants,
I don't need to go travelin',
Open my door and the world walks in,
Livin' in a City of Immigrants."

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 21 Nov 2013, 7:28 pm

Funny how they want to close the door on immigrants now though - when most of them are only a few generations away themselves. The native Americans must be laughing into their whisky glasses (and I have no doubt some liberal tw@t will call me racist for using the term "native Americans" .. I've no idea and don't care what today's PC correct term is)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 21 Nov 2013, 7:46 pm

Who's "they"? If you mean all Americans then you clearly don't understand the messy checks and balances at work in these United States. If you mean the hard core tea-baggers in the Southwest then, yeah, you are mostly correct!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:40 pm

yet another example of an Irish person being claimed by the British

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/couple-released-on-bail-after-three-enslaved-women-freed-1.1603913
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:05 pm

incontinentia wrote:yet another example of an Irish person being claimed by the British

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/couple-released-on-bail-after-three-enslaved-women-freed-1.1603913
Oh, who cares? Some people carry far too much lumber around on their shoulders don't they? Everyone else in the World would appear to claim Irish ancestry but those scarce few non-Irish left don't bang on about it do they?
Incidentally, where, in that article you cite, is it "yet another example of an Irish person being claimed by the British"?? Stop muck-raking.

Last edited by navyblueshorts on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:10 pm

incontinentia wrote:yet another example of an Irish person being claimed by the British

I'm not going to suggest what they were paid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:18 pm

navy- slavery is the claiming of other people.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:20 pm

as condoned by the "good book"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

where is it condoned? what scripture?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 3:49 pm

All over, Old Testament, New Testament. Tells you who you can own, how hard you can beat them without killing them, how to pass them down to your children etc, Just google it and you'll find it. Same as it condones killing homosexuals, apostates, adulterous women and unruly children.

Lovely morals, no one should follow such ghastly instructions. Wouldn't not be at all surprised if those with the "slave" women were religious.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 22 Nov 2013, 4:05 pm

the bible isn't an instruction manual, so it seems your point is moot
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 4:09 pm

It's claimed to be the word of god, and the god of the bible condones all of those things, which makes him a horrible, immoral, evil Bar Steward.

Back to the point. How inept are these people that they can't escape captivity for 30 years?

Incredible.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 22 Nov 2013, 4:19 pm

Are you implying they deserved it?
They may have special needs? Or not very bright? 
You must have missed the point. The point is how evil does someone have to be to imprison 3 people for 30 years?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Nov 2013, 4:24 pm

No, Of course I'm not saying they deseve it, I'm simply saying it's hard to believe in 2013 that someone could have been kept for so long without escaping.

I'm not saying they were stupid, or special needs, just in this day and age, it's both unbelievable and incredible at the same time.

What's even more unbelievable is that those responsible have been bailed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 23 Nov 2013, 10:38 am

incontinentia wrote:navy- slavery is the claiming of other people.
Ohhhhh! It was 'humour'? Sorry, I must have missed that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 23 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 23 Nov 2013, 4:52 pm

incontinentia wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
?
Never mind. Lost in translation obviously. Let's just move on...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 06 Dec 2013, 9:01 pm

I think this topic tends to bring out the worst in people, but from my experience having worked in an American multinational straight out of college. We were EMEA focused but I mainly looked after the UK market (mostly English). With UK colleagues and UK customers I never had 1 bad experience, generally lovely people. So with that I'll just say best of luck in the world cup, I'm sorry we couldn't be there as well! (And I mean that for the Sheffield Utd, Sunderland and Portsmouth fans I know, not the feckin media who just wind me up!)

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2