The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...?

+7
Shifty
manofgwent
bedfordwelsh
Draigoch
deadfred
wales606
maestegmafia
11 posters

Go down

Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...? Empty Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

I was just reading through the concentrated efforts of everyones interpretations of the permutations that the current minute amount of press circulating the pre world cup preparations of the Welsh team eludes to.

Current trend of thought seems inclined towards an un-changable front five, Jenkins, Rees (Capt), Jones, AW Jones and Davies, though there are also thoughts that James may have usurped Jenkins during his lengthy lay offs with foot injury. Also a Western Mail lead hypothesis that Adam Jones may not be fit enough and an alternative should be found for him, pure BS speculation by Andy Howell in my opinion.

The Backrow is possibly up for grabs, it is certainly well challenged, there is room for contention, and a bit of strength in talent as much as their is evidently room for improvement. No ones place is secure!

Halfbacks and centers have caused multiple conjecturable dilemmas. We have lacked creativity, intelligence and patience in attack, and have leaked soft tries in defence. Is the solution necessarily a simple one or would an unorthodox solution bare better results...?

The back three also a conundrum, a triumvirate of Williams Byrne and Halfpenny that could be reciprocal and interchanged with North, Stoddard, Brew or even Priestland..???

So my Wildcard suggestion for the team is as follows. This is done to elude that their should be no surprises come the teams announcement on Thursday the 4th of August.

Try and think of some other combinations previously un-suggested and un-seen, that may become prevalent this week.

1. G. Jenkins
2. L. Burns
3. A. Jones
4. R. Jones
5. L Charteris
6. Warburton (c)
7. Tuperic
8. Faletau

9. L. Williams
10. R Priestland
11. J Roberts
12. J. Davies
13. J. Hook
14. G. North
15. L Byrne

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...? Empty Re: Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...?

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

If by Wildcard you mean the team id like to see play just for the hell of it...

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Ryan Jones
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Lloyd Williams
10. Stephen Jones
11. Shane Williams
12. Jonathon Davies
13. James Hook
14. Leigh Halpenny
15. Morgon Stoddart

16. Ryan Bevinton
17. Matthew Rees
18. Bradely Davies
19. Gareth Delve
20. Mike Phillips
21. Jamie Roberts
22. George North

I like that team - 5/6 players with the workrate of a backrower (the backrow, Gethin, Ryan and possibly AWJ)

Some pretty hard carriers (Gethin, Hibbard, Jones, Faletau, Lydiate, Warbs)

It would be interesting to see how that centre partnership works

If it doesnt work, the bench can come on and completly change the gameplan if needed.

Bevington - Keeps up the workrate of Gethin and is a carrier option
Rees - Some captain motivation when its going wrong
Bradley Davies - Smash them
Gareth Delve - With Falatau moving to 6 gives us 2 excellent carriers
Mike Phillips - Physicality, another smasher
Jamie Roberts - Coming on with 20 to go, someones going to get flattened, If needed, comes on for SJ with Hook moving to 10.
George North - Just a little more physicallity on the wing (or even at centre)

It would be fun to empty that bench at 60 minutes....
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...? Empty Re: Whats your most wildcard Team Selection for Wales next warm up games that might work...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

wales606 wrote:If by Wildcard you mean the team id like to see play just for the hell of it...
THat and a few untried un previously mentioned combinations. I hadnt heard anyone post Davies at 12 with Hook at 13 and that is likely a very hand combination, similar to Davies and Regan Kings, in concept, at the Scarlets.

I like the Warburton, Tuperic, Faletau backrow too, very athletic, fast and good ball skills. Bit of Intelligence there too...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

Yeah, I though JD2 Hook might be interesting.

The inexperience of the backrow would hopefully we compensated by RJ in the second row, and a fit again Gethin.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Any other ideas of combinations no one has considered that might be worth a look...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Sun 31 Jul 2011, 4:37 pm

We need to pick our potentially most attacking creative team against Eng I reckon. So in the backs

9. Williams
10. Hook
11. Williams
12. Henson
13. Williams
14. North
15. Stoddard

Then if things go bad we have a bench of Phillips, Jones, Roberts, JD, Halfpenny, Byrne.

We must try our two fastest and most creative HBs. If you look at previous WC the team with the best SH often wins. That's why IMO Australia are the Abs most realistic threat as Genia is the best in the world at the moment.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

Ok, since it's a wildcard selection:

01 Ryan Bevington
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Craig Mitchell
04 Ryan Jones
05 Bradley Davies
06 Sam Warburton
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Toby Faletau
09 Lloyd Williams
10 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
12 Jonathan Davies
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Gavin Henson

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 31 Jul 2011, 5:52 pm

I think James could well be in pole position come next week and may start though I think Jenkins is still seen as the No1.

I suppose Henson is seen as THE wildcard due to so little game time n form, will it pay off who knows.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I think James could well be in pole position come next week and may start though I think Jenkins is still seen as the No1.

I suppose Henson is seen as THE wildcard due to so little game time n form, will it pay off who knows.

I think Gethin will start because the selectors must realise he will need a lot of gametime to get back to his wannabe flanker ways.

Paul James has had lots of gametime and I think he would be just as useful without much more (his strength coming in the scrum rather than the loose, compared to Gethin)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:14 pm

Surely warburtom i's an out and out openside.? Even the most outrageous team couldn't afford to have one of the best 7's in world rugby at 6, just to fit in tipuric.

1 gethin
2. Rees
3. A. Jones
4. Charteris
5. AW jones
6. Lydiate
7. Warburtom
8. Faletau
9. Peel
10. Tovey
11. Halfpenny
12. Henson
13. Hook
14. Harries
15. M. Thomas

I know a few aren't in the welsh squad, but I've picked it on pure fantasy. That back-line would be rapid, but I think we may leak a few tries.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:45 pm

Warburton is pretty experienced in all three backrow positions and I think he has been tailored into the openside role in Senior rugby to fill the void of the ageing master, Williams. with so many potential options putting their hands up for Wales, Tuperic, Turnbull, Lydiate, McCusker, Faletau etc we have some good prospects and a number of playes that can adapt to one position or another very easily.

I would like Wales to establish a settled backrow over the next year, until then I am certainly up for considering options.

Tuperic looked great last year, not great enough to be considered a starter for Wales when all else are fit and on form. But there is masses of praise coming out of the camp about him. So he is a perfect Wildcard selection.

Great backline, as you said could potentially be leakier than six Dan Parks clones.

I love this idea of having several players who were originally flyhalfs in the backline. Reminds me of the 87 RWC team with Davies, Bowen, Ring and Clement.

could work. nice post cheers

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

Looking at this threads theme from the opposite perspective, what Gatland team selection would be the biggest surprise to you guys on the 4th...?

I know many of you think his team will be predictable and conservative, but I have a sneaky feeling that their maybe a few surprises.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

The biggest suprise? Ok...

Bevington
Burns
Mitchell
Jones
Charteris
Thomas
Williams
Delve

Knoyle
Priestland

Brew
Davies
Hook
Stoddart
Henson

How's that?

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:17 pm

Draigoch wrote:

How's that?
Its out there, not sure it would be a great team though.

I am thinking that the inclusion of Lloyd Williams, Scott Williams and Justin Tuperic for the england match will raise a few eyebrows...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm

Blimey, anyone remember 62-5? Some of these sides could really have a go at emulating that game.

We better make sure Nick Easter is playing to get his four tries again Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Blimey, anyone remember 62-5? Some of these sides could really have a go at emulating that game.

We better make sure Nick Easter is playing to get his four tries again Wink
yawn...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 31 Jul 2011, 9:40 pm

Did you mean Tumbleweed

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Draigoch wrote:

How's that?

I am thinking that the inclusion of Lloyd Williams, Scott Williams and Justin Tuperic for the england match will raise a few eyebrows...

I wouldnt be suprised if L.Williams is include, Gatland has been praising his attitude and has kept him in despite Phillips return and dropped R.Rees.

If L.Williams is going to the WC (which I expect as I think Gats will ignore Peel) then he will have to be capped before then if Gatland wants to test him.

If it wasnt for Henson, I would say that Scott Williams would get a start, but, Henson is now bound to start, but Williams should still make a bench option
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:16 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Draigoch wrote:

How's that?

I wouldnt be suprised if L.Williams is include, Gatland has been praising his attitude and has kept him in despite Phillips return and dropped R.Rees.

If L.Williams is going to the WC (which I expect as I think Gats will ignore Peel) then he will have to be capped before then if Gatland wants to test him.

If it wasnt for Henson, I would say that Scott Williams would get a start, but, Henson is now bound to start, but Williams should still make a bench option
Scot Williams may go ahead of another more currently prolific center than Henson. A lot seems to have gone on during the summer camps.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Draigoch wrote:

How's that?

Scot Williams may go ahead of another more currently prolific center than Henson. A lot seems to have gone on during the summer camps.

But isnt Scott Williams considered a 12, as is Henson.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:21 pm

wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
wales606 wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Draigoch wrote:

How's that?

But isnt Scott Williams considered a 12, as is Henson.
We have four inside centers, plus Hook who can play there. Wales need to desperately work on a classy outside center

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm

I haven't seen much of Scott Williams but from what I have maybe he could fit well there?

Doesn't Davies play a lot of his rugby in the OC channel with Regan King popping inside him? And Roberts pretty much played off O'Driscoll on the Lions tour.

I thought the Gav-Davies combo was going to murder the Baa-Baas, but no joy. We seriously need to sort this combo out...

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:44 pm

I liked the impact Scott Williams had when he came on in the Baa Baas game, it was raw and un polished, he has a lot to learn about rugby but he has great instincts, has done since youth rugby. Similar can be said of him at the Scarlets.

He has the pace to play outside center too.

I am not overly impressed with Jamie Roberts, i dont see him as an option at inside center, he cant create enough and his game is far too limited. Even with the Lions he was limited though made a big impact with his strength through the tackle.

Wales desperately need to find a halfback pairing and midfield that can create successfully, I am sure that Gatland is considering his options as much as we are.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 31 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Scott Williams
11 Shane Williams
10 James Hook
9 Tavis Knoyle
8 Ben Morgan
7 Sam Warburton
6 Toby Faletau
5 Bradley Davies
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
3 Adam Jones
2 Matthew Rees
1 Duncan Jones
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 31 Jul 2011, 11:00 pm

Ben Morgan isnt qualified.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

AlynDavies wrote:15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Jonathan Davies
12 Scott Williams
11 Shane Williams
10 James Hook
9 Tavis Knoyle
8 Ben Morgan
7 Sam Warburton
6 Toby Faletau
5 Bradley Davies
4 Alun-Wyn Jones
3 Adam Jones
2 Matthew Rees
1 Duncan Jones
Ben Morgan ???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:32 am

priestland at 15
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:36 pm

If I could pick outside of the squad

15 Priestland
14 Brew
13 Maule
12 J Davies
11 Williams
10 Jones
9 Knoyle

1 I Thomas
2 Burns (Smiler is injured)
3 James
4 AW Jones
5 Reed
6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Faletau

Bench;

Jenkins
Owens
(A Jones if two props are allowed)
W Evans
Tovey
Hook
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Any ideas come out of this thread for combinations that people think are previously un taped and interesting?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

"Scot Williams may go ahead of another more currently prolific center than Henson. A lot seems to have gone on during the summer camps"

If there are 4 centre places in the squad, and Hookie goes as a 10, you could have Roberts, JD2, Henson and Scott Williams. Surely Scott W wouldn't replace Roberts or JD2??

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

I reckon our best back-line would be Williams, Hook, Williams, Henson, Williams, North, Byrne.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Just coming back to that, if you have 14 backs, isn't it looking like:

Phillips, Wiliams, Knoyle, Jones, Hook, JD2, Roberts, Henson, Scott W, Shane, North, Halfpenny (if fit), Byrne -

and one other (between Priestland, Brew and Stoddart, most likely not Brew because he covers less positions)??

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I think Priestland and Stoddart will go as invaluable full-back/fly-half/wing cover. Which means I Scott W will drop out if Halfpenny is fit.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

whats the latest on halfpenny?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

Not really sure, touch-and-go I think.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

Last report I read was

"He has set himself a target of being available for Wales’ final warm-up match against Argentina at the Millennium Stadium on August 20.

And he knows if he doesn’t make that deadline he is going to struggle to secure a place in the final 30-man World Cup squad for New Zealand.

Coach Warren Gatland last night admitted it was “touch and go” whether the 22-year-old was going to make it back in time.

Halfpenny, who has suffered a succession of injuries over the last nine months, flies out to Poland today with the rest of the Wales party for the 11-day training camp in Spala, where he will continue his recovery.

He will be keeping his fingers firmly crossed that the intensive rehab work he will do out there will help keep alive his dream of making the World Cup.

“We’ve set the Argentina game as our goal and hopefully I will be up and running by then for that match,” he said.

“I definitely feel I need to be fit for that game to have a realistic shout of going to the World Cup".

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/07/01/leigh-halfpenny-faces-race-against-time-91466-28974305/#ixzz1Tn58VNLG

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Tue 02 Aug 2011, 12:09 am

15. Roberts
14. Brew
13. JD2
12. Priestland
11. North
10. Hook
9. Knoyle

8. Faletau
7. Warburton
6. Lydiate
5. Davies
4. AW
3. Jones
2. Rees/Hibbard/Burns
1. James

16. Jenkins
17. Hibbard/Burns/Owens
18. R.Jones
19. Turnbull

20. Peel
21. Scott Williams
22. Shane Williams
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:29 am

This mornings Telegraph

"Gavin Henson is to be handed a golden chance to press his claims for a place in Wales’s World Cup squad by being named in the starting side to face England in the Investec Test match at Twickenham on Saturday.

Warren Gatland is set to give the 29 year-old another chance in what is likely to be an experimental selection.

Henson is likely to be selected at inside centre alongside Jamie Roberts, with Rhys Williams partnering James Hook at half-back and George North, 19, on the wing.

Josh Turnbull, 23, the Scarlets flanker and Toby Faletau, the 20-year-old Dragons No8, are also expected to be included in the Welsh pack. Gatland will name his starting line-up on Thursday."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/8673690/Rugby-World-Cup-2011-Gavin-Henson-to-get-chance-to-impress-for-Wales-against-England.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

Who is this Rhys Williams they refer to at half back? Can't trust a word of an article where a jurno can't be bothered to research a players name correctly.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down