The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia.

+2
laverfan
time please
6 posters

Go down

Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia. Empty Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia.

Post by time please Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:37 am

Great to see erratic Ernie win in three sets over Mardy Fish to claim his second title of his career, and Dolgopolov to claim his first title in Croatia.

Can we expect exciting things from these two during the North American swing?

time please

Back to top Go down

Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia. Empty Re: Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia.

Post by laverfan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

I watched both matches. Very impressed with Gulbis's progress under Canas (who incidentally coaches Odesnik as well, Wink )

Dolgopolov played some good tennis, but had lapses. If he can maintain focus over the entire match, it would be very helpful. His AO 2011 run was really good.

These two are a potent threat @USO.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia. Empty Re: Gulbis wins in Los Angeles and Dolgopolov in Croatia.

Post by time please Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

laverfan wrote:I watched both matches. Very impressed with Gulbis's progress under Canas (who incidentally coaches Odesnik as well, Wink )

Dolgopolov played some good tennis, but had lapses. If he can maintain focus over the entire match, it would be very helpful. His AO 2011 run was really good.

These two are a potent threat @USO.

I hadn't really been keeping up with matches last week, but notice that Ernie beat Delpo quite comprehensively on way to final - let's hope he can sustain this form for a bit. Didn't realise Canas was coaching him, or that he coached Odenisk as well. (if I were a very witty person I would be sorely tempted to make an obvious joke here - but don't think I could carry it off - anyone? Whistle )

They will both (Dolgopolov and Gulbis) be playing with the big boys next week, so hopefully both will build on their latest triumphs.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

I have always felt that Gulbis was one of the biggest athletic and tennis talents on the tour and have wondered when he was going to flip the switch. If Canas can get him to care more about fitness and be more consistent then I think it is a plus. Always liked Canas when he was a player, a real battler, if he can instill some of that in super talent gulbis that could be a dangerous combo. Beating JMDP on the american hardcourts is not an easy task. Not sure on Dolgopolov, everyone talks up his ability and he does have skills. But I don't see the guy as being a big threat at the open maybe good for a run to the 3rd or 4th round.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chazfazzer Mon 01 Aug 2011, 5:46 pm

I've always liked Gulbis and his massive groundshots ('groundshots' isn't a euphemism for anything there!), but I was starting to lose faith that he would ever win more than about one match in a row...this has instilled a bit of confidence back in me!

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm

socal1976 wrote:Beating JMDP on the american hardcourts is not an easy task.

DelPo was playing much below par and had quite a few UEs. The Bogomolov and Fish matches were much better and showed Gulbis's HC skills much better.

He also beat Federer in a three-set match on clay in Rome 2010 (but lost in Madrid 2010).

He has worked very hard in LA. Hope he continues.

BTW, Gulbis and Djokovic practiced together under Niki Pilic in Munich.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

yes I knew that about Gulbis training in his youth with Novak. He always play novak tough as well but Novak usually has more consistency and wins. I thought coming into the tourney that Delpo would win the title in LA. Fish is also playing some good tennis so far this hardcourt stretch, a win in Atlanta, and the finals in LA. Possibly a darkhorse quarter or semifinalist. Look out if he is in Murray's quarter than he might just have a shout of getting through to the semi.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:48 am

Nice to see some new guys doing well. I just hope that this USO will shake up things a little different, as man tennis those days is getting far too predictable. Still think Delpo is the only one who is likely to do some damage in the HC season.
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Jeremy, this is the time of year that Delpo has to show it. He has now had a good couple of months of health and a lot of match play this year. This is the time of year where he traditionally plays the best tennis. I still feel though that Delpo is not quite playing like he was before the injury, understandable he still is not at his peak after missing a year on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue 02 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

Soc: I know but consider this: LA Open is a non-entity tennis speaking (no offence to Californian here) , little more than a worm-up to the Masters and the Open. I don't think a player like Del Potro plans his peparation in function of an event like this, being played at the beginning of the HC season. From what I could see in Wimby, in the match against Nadal, he's on his way to get back to his best. I hope he can do it!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 02 Aug 2011, 11:23 pm

Lets see, because to be honest while I think he is a constant threat I don't think he matches up very well with Murray or Novak. I think for Del Potro it is vital that by next year he finds away to get #4 by the time of the US open. For me to have to play one of the big 4 in the quarters, semis, and finals will be a bridge too far for him. And he is still a work in progress after missing over a year. He is really the darkhorse in my opinion. In the future if he wants to get more slams he will have to figure out away to beat Novak and Andy something that he has not been able to do.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Gulbis has finally learnt how to judge his forehand more consistently, he not going for broke with 120 MPH flat fizzing strikes, he's clearly a future top 10 player and a better version of Berdych imo..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

I dont' know Gulbis has been like this for three or 4 years, he turns in a performance or two and everyone starts talking about him and then he is missing for a couple of months. If Canas can imprint some of the tough grinder type traits he had into gulbis like the conditioning and consistency then maybe we can see ernie really progress.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down