The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rees injury doubt for Wales

+13
Draigoch
Seagultaf
Cymroglan
dogtooth
Dominic Dicoco
ScarletSpiderman
nottins_jones
bedfordwelsh
wales606
maestegmafia
offload
Luckless Pedestrian
munkian
17 posters

Go down

Rees injury doubt for Wales Empty Rees injury doubt for Wales

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7075381,00.html

Wales hooker Matthew Rees is a serious injury doubt as coach Warren Gatland's squad prepare for their upcoming RWC warm-up matches.

According to the South Wales Evening Post, Rees, who is the team's captain, is struggling with a bulging disc in his back.

The British & Irish Lions hooker must undergo an operation, but there is doubt whether he should have the surgery before or after the World Cup.

If he goes under the knife before the tournament, it could mean that he has to withdraw from the squad.

Gatland has already called Scarlets hooker Ken Owens back into the group, as Wales prepare for their Test against England at Twickenham on Saturday.

Wales also face Martin Johnson's side at the Millennium Stadium on August 13 before rounding off their World Cup preparations against Argentina in Cardiff on August 20.

Losing Rees will be a massive blow to Gatland as there is also doubt over another hooker, Ospreys' Richard Hibbard, who is also in a race against time to prove his fitness ahead of the World Cup, due to a shoulder injury.

Huw Bennett, Lloyd Burns and Owens are the other hookers currently in Gatland's 39-man squad.

🤦

So... replacement Captain and first choice Hooker ?

*Gatland will so go with Bennet.....*
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Rees injury doubt for Wales Empty Re: Rees injury doubt for Wales

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

It's going to be Huw Bennett, isn't it? I'm not happy about it, but he has the most experience (not that it's done him much good) and Twickenham isn't necessarily the best place to throw a rookie in.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

AWJ for Captain then ? Warburton ? Geth ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

I think who become captain is the least of our worries. Big blow - keep everything crossed that he can play in the WC.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:42 am

It would make sense for Warburton to keep the captaincy. I don't like the idea of Alun Wyn getting the armband because it cements his place in the side.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

we're dooooomed Cry

Seriously, this is massive blow if he doesn't make it (and with a disk problem in his back, I'm not sure considering the position he plays in, whether he should actually risk delaying the operation). Bennett - well we all know about him, but Burns and Owens aren't proven at international level at all and Owens has only played 15mins of rugby in 2011. This is disastrous really.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

So we are missing our two first choice Hookers, possibly for the RWc as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:It's going to be Huw Bennett, isn't it? I'm not happy about it, but he has the most experience (not that it's done him much good) and Twickenham isn't necessarily the best place to throw a rookie in.

Is Bennet an Okay scrummager and a poor lineout thrower ? Are we too hard on him ? I doubt any of pool bar SA will get the better of him well they ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:18 am

munkian wrote:
luckless_pedestrian wrote:It's going to be Huw Bennett, isn't it? I'm not happy about it, but he has the most experience (not that it's done him much good) and Twickenham isn't necessarily the best place to throw a rookie in.

Is Bennet an Okay scrummager and a poor lineout thrower ? Are we too hard on him ? I doubt any of pool bar SA will get the better of him well they ?
Lloyd Burns would be my favoured selection ahead of Owens who has been out for a long time with injury and Bennet who isnt first choice at is region and has played probably less games this year than Burns.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

I like Burns, very hard worker and quite abbrasive. Maybe the management have seen something good in Bennet' stats that we havent hense his constant selection
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

Oh dear....lets hope that Hibbard recovers to take 1st choice as he is the only other Hooker I would want starting for Wales.

We also need to blood a replacement hooker (otherwise it will be Bennett :/), so either Burns or Owens

I really hope that Rees can avoid the surgery and go to the WC, otherwise I can just see us being left with Bennett starting Sad

I think Gats should call up TRThomas to take a look during training - He is the only other Hooker we have with any experience and is actually 1st choice for his region (Bennett was 3rd choice this season, behind Hibbard and Mefin Davies)

As for captain - Warburton or Ryan Jones.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

I have kept this to myself BUT losing Rees was my biggest fear over everything else.

Our other hookers are either carrying knocks (Hibbard and Owens), inexperienced (Burns) or just down right b****y inept, useles, rudey poo, take your pick (Bennett).

Rees is one play who we should give as much time as possible before having to make a final decision on him as he IMO is crucial.

Unfortunately we all know that Gatland will plump for Bennett if Rees is out.

As for Captain I hope he is bold and goes for Warburton as I feel he is the only contender who is guranteed his place.

I reckon Jenkins, S or R Jones and M Williams would be seen as contenders but none are guaranteed starters.

My actual choice would be Delve but as above I don't see him as guaranteed starter (though should be)
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

Rees wont make another world cup so I hope hes Ok to play this one
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:38 am

Well Stephan Jones and Martyn Williams both say they dislike being given the captains armband so can't see them being picked. I reckon if Rees is out, he'll go with Warbs, not a bad choice really.

Losing Rees would be a huge, huge blow for us though.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:41 am

Not sure that Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, Ryan Jones or Gethin Jenkins will be guaranteed a starting spot so I would presume they wont be up for the captaincy.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:14 pm

Keep Warbs the captain for at least 2 games and see how he handles the pressure. I remember he was a bit quiet when he last played against England.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 01 Aug 2011, 12:28 pm

Bad news indeed. Makes sence why Ken was called back up though. (so far that is three Scarlets injured in the Welsh camp so far)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

Yikes, this is not good news. Im pretty sure that if there is any chance of him playing, even at 60 or 70% fitness, he will. The replacements for him are scary.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

it should go to henson. the lad is guaranteed his place, he is self assured and comands huge repect amongst the squad. he is...

no, sorry, i cant keep up that level of bullpoo for long.

but seriously. losing rees will be a huge blow to our campaign.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

I cant find any reports from the WRU or coaches regarding his injury.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 1:49 pm

Cymroglan wrote:I cant find any reports from the WRU or coaches regarding his injury.

Seems Planet Rugby did get this from the South Wales Evening post.... better than the Fail I guess
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

Announcement from WRU:

Warburton to captain side agaist England. Rees will play little part in warm up games.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Very Happy
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

I wouldn't risk Rees un-necessarily and if Warburton does captain side then thats two sensible decisions so far.

Lets hope he keeps it up.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:27 pm

Warren Gatland has revealed Sam Warburton will captain Wales at Twickenham on Saturday after regular skipper Matthew Rees handed the Wales coach a big fitness worry ahead the World Cup.

Rees has been suffering with a neck injury for the past few weeks and the hooker may need to undergo surgery to rectify the problem.

Gatland is hopeful any operation will be after the World Cup, but the Scarlets man will definitely miss out at Twickenham and could play a limited role in the remaining two summer Tests.

That means Blues flanker Warburton will be handed the captain's armband for the second consecutive match against England after leading the Welsh side against the Barbarians in June.

"Matthew's had a bit of a neck problem for a few weeks. He's getting injections today and we're hopeful he will be alright in the next week or two.

"An operation is a definite possibility but we are hoping it definitely won't be before the World Cup. If he doesn't improve, he may need something after the World Cup.

"There is a bit of nerve pressure and we're hopeful the injections will help. It is mainly affecting him when he is trying to sleep.

"If he doesn't improve and it gets worse there is always that risk (he may miss World Cup) but we're hoping there will be a significant improvement in the pain he is experiencing.

"Ideally, you would like him to play in the warm-ups because you don't want him to go in cold. He's getting frustrated because he hasn't been able to do much in the last couple of weeks and he can see the other players going away from a bit.

"I think Sam did a good job as captain against the Barbarians and he will do it this week."

Gats words. Happy for Sam, gutted that our best hookers out.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

Where did you find that, Draigoch?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:40 pm

The (hangs head in shame) Western Mail website

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2011/08/01/sam-warburton-to-captain-wales-against-england-91466-29157385/

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:41 pm

So, does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this type of injury?

My first reaction is that if it's a serious neck injury then serious caution is required..

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

Draigoch we all read the mail from time to time dont knock yourself, I for one dont think any less of you.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Aug 2011, 2:47 pm

Draigoch wrote:So, does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this type of injury?

My first reaction is that if it's a serious neck injury then serious caution is required..
I am not sure, a friend of mine, not a fit young rugby player had a similar op, he is in his mid sixties, it was a builders injury, he recovered reasonable quickly after. was feeling much better straight away and back to his old self in a month.

Not really the same deal, you would hope a professional sportsman would be able to cope with an operation and recover quicker. It is actually almost frightening how quickly players recover these days.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

"There is a bit of nerve pressure and we're hopeful the injections will help. It is mainly affecting him when he is trying to sleep."

So along as we don't let him sleep there's no problem!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:26 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:"There is a bit of nerve pressure and we're hopeful the injections will help. It is mainly affecting him when he is trying to sleep."

So along as we don't let him sleep there's no problem!

But with the rugby Wales have played recently its hard not to sleep.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 01 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

True True - and I suppose Gats doesn't want to risk trying something outrageous like changing his game plan and playing exciting rugby - so it will be much safer to leave Rees behind with some painkillers and some videos of NZ games to keep him excited.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Mon 01 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

Rees will be missed if he can't make it maybe not so much for his captaincy but as a strong hard working hooker. The news is worse in that Hibbard is still struggling with injury and now we are down to Bennett and two inexperienced hookers.

Please don't bring G Williams into the squad I agree with an eariler poster Thomas is a better option than some of the squad players.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 02 Aug 2011, 8:40 pm

Looks like Rees will only miss this weekends game.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14364944.stm

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Tue 02 Aug 2011, 9:14 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Looks like Rees will only miss this weekends game.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/14364944.stm

Jeez, that is good news. I didn't really want to think about going to the world Cup without Smiler.
I just hope this story is correct.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 03 Aug 2011, 1:45 am

I hope Rees takes a few matches off. Taking injections for a neck problem fixes nothing. Just relieves inflamation for a period of time. And repeated injections (usually cortisone) can cause long term damage of its own. Since they are already mentioning the possibility of surgery - hoping it is after the RWC - tells me there is a serious injury they are hoping to skate by through the RWC. But for his sake, I hope he does no serious damage and can play at his usual high level. The management better have him off the pitch whenever not critrically needed. Good luck to him.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 03 Aug 2011, 5:48 am

Wales captain Matthew Rees should be fit for World Cup
Page last updated at 12:11 GMT, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 13:11 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version 2011 RWC warm-up match: England v WalesVenue: TwickenhamDate: Saturday, 6 AugustKick-off: 1430 BSTCoverage: Live commentary on BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru and BBC Radio 5 live sports extra. Highlights on BBC Sport website and on BBC Three (Saturday 1900-2000 BST) and on BBC Two (Sunday 1100-1200 BST)
Rees has won 47 Wales caps since his debut against the United States in 2005 Wales assistant coach Neil Jenkins says captain Matthew Rees will miss the first World Cup warm-up game against England but is confident he will be fit for the World Cup in September.

........................................................................................................................
I never realised that Neil Jenkins was a "DOCTOR", Saying he is confident that Reess will only miss this week ends game.

Rees might be better off getting this seen too noiw rather than later.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 03 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Wales captain Matthew Rees should be fit for World Cup
Page last updated at 12:11 GMT, Tuesday, 2 August 2011 13:11 UK
E-mail this to a friendPrintable version 2011 RWC warm-up match: England v WalesVenue: TwickenhamDate: Saturday, 6 AugustKick-off: 1430 BSTCoverage: Live commentary on BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Wales, BBC Radio Cymru and BBC Radio 5 live sports extra. Highlights on BBC Sport website and on BBC Three (Saturday 1900-2000 BST) and on BBC Two (Sunday 1100-1200 BST)
Rees has won 47 Wales caps since his debut against the United States in 2005 Wales assistant coach Neil Jenkins says captain Matthew Rees will miss the first World Cup warm-up game against England but is confident he will be fit for the World Cup in September.

........................................................................................................................
I never realised that Neil Jenkins was a "DOCTOR", Saying he is confident that Reess will only miss this week ends game.

And miss the chance to captain Wales in the world cup ? Maybe if he was a mercenary in it for the money but he's a proud welshman and B&I lion.

Besides, it's hardly uncommon for a coach in ANY sport to make medical predicitions on their players. And Jenkins is a very good ex player and experienced coach so hes probably the most qualified bar someone with a degree in medicine
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

Plus Jenkins probably got briefed by the medical team, so when the journalist asked him about Rees he just relayed what the medical team told him.

I see what you say about Rees - I do hope it's not that serious that by playing on with it he does serious damage and is out for ages/or never recovers properly. And Gats track record with managing players injuries isn't the best.

But I don't reckon they'd take huge risks with his long term welfare - and he'd be willing to risk being out for a month or 2 after the WC to play in it (IMO)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 03 Aug 2011, 10:37 am

OK, the probelms with a bulging disk in the neck are multi-fold. From mild pain to tingling/numbness in the extremities (arms, especially) and muscle weakness. Much of the time the less severe symptoms can be treated through non-surgical methods. But, the problem is the bulging disk is that it pressures the spinal nerve cord. If not treated, the extreme case is partial paralysis.

However is Rees' case, the Wales management team is already mentioning surgery. That tells me Rees is already experiencing the more severe symptoms. Now I am sure the Wales medical team will take no risks with his long term medical condition, so they must feel, after the full evaluations, that it is not going to worsen through contact, at least for the next 3 months. In fact, in today's sporting world, it is virtually inconcievable thay would put the rest of his life at risk. But he will have to play through pain, and suffer periodic weakness and lack of sensation.

The good news is the surgery has a terrific track record, and if he has the procedure in November, I could see him playing in the spring. And if anyone cares, the usual procedure is referred to as Anterior Cervical Decompression Fusion. Nice name, eh?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

they don't call you doctor grey for nothing...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:

There's the thing though Madge. What you know about rugby, you could write on the back of a postage stamp. Read the explanation in between our posts and it should make things a lot clearer for you, there's a good kid.

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Wed 03 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Yahoo
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down