The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matthew Rees & the Wales Captaincy

+13
wales606
Seagultaf
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
eirebilly
Luckless Pedestrian
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
funnyExiledScot
Comfort
Gatts
XR
17 posters

Go down

Matthew Rees & the Wales Captaincy Empty Matthew Rees & the Wales Captaincy

Post by XR Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Scarlets hooker Matthew Rees has said he wants to reclaim the Welsh captaincy back from Sam Warburton.

Flanker Warburton was appointed Wales' World Cup captain after Rees was ruled out with a neck injury.

But following successful surgery, Rees hopes to return for Wales against Australia next month and is keen to captain his country once again.

"It's definitely something I want to try and put my name forward for," he said.

Full article Here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15529663.stm

What's the best way to tell him 'No'?

XR

Back to top Go down

Matthew Rees & the Wales Captaincy Empty Re: Matthew Rees & the Wales Captaincy

Post by Gatts Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 pm

On the contrary it should be handed back to him

Warburton's class and contribution is obvious but his error cost us big time and he should not be rewarded for it, needs to be freed up to just get on with his game

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm

Howabout we wait and see what sort of form Rees comes back in, injurys (especially neck) can have quite a negative affect. Although, Rees was a realtively good captain, Sam's been better frankly - brain fart aside. I'd give Warbs the captaincy after that world cup, I'd think he, more than anyone learnt from what happened.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I'd take a look at form but I don't think I'd mess with Warburton's leadership. He did a great job. It'll only help Wales having Rees back at hooker though, not only in the leadership stakes, but I'm also doubtful that the imposter that covered for Huw Bennett will stick around for long.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Gatts wrote:On the contrary it should be handed back to him

Warburton's class and contribution is obvious but his error cost us big time and he should not be rewarded for it, needs to be freed up to just get on with his game

Are you serious? Laugh

Warburton lead by example during the WC and shouldn't be punished for one mistake. And it didn't cost us too much as we lost by 1 point...which had the kicks been landed, we would have won.

So no, Rees shouldn't get the captaincy back...he's 30, will he be involved in the next WC? The next 4 years are crucial and keeping SW as captain is a must, you just need to hear what the wales team said about him as a captain...why change it?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Warbuton is captain. Rees is dreaming if he thinks he can get it back after the plaudits sam earned. He has to get his place back from Huw B first. MR is highly unlikely to be around in four years time and now we need to move forward. Warburton is the man to take us forward.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Warburton to stay as captain for me.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 am

I can't see Gatland revoking Warburton. Hopefully he will captain Wales and lead them to great things during his career.

He is both the player and the leader the welsh team has craved for thirty years. Thank god he has finally arrived.

With regards to his RWC exit, I firmly believe that will only make him better. He won't do that again. We could well have been finalists or even possibly winners with warburton on the pitch for the last two games.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:37 am

maestegmafia wrote:He is both the player and the leader the welsh team has craved for thirty years.

It's unlike a Welshman to put the burden of expectation on a young player!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:38 am

I cant agree with you more maestegmafia. Warburton is the player and leader that Wales have craved. I cen see him leading Wales for many years to come.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 am

I like Rees as a captain and I like Warburton as a captain but which ones better? There's only one way to find out...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 am

Possesion nine tenths of law etc, I would leave it with Sam certainly for the Australia game and then decide for 6 Nations on form fitness of them both.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:16 am

Sorry guys, but if Rees gets back to his top form, he should be Captain. Warburton is one for the future, let him get over his red card out of the limelight. and concentrate on his game.

After all if it was not for Rees's injury Warburton would never have been captain.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 am

Exactly.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 am

Gatland gave Rees the captaincy because he wanted it to go to a gaurenteed starter after R.Jones.

Is Rees still a gaurenteed starter? Huw Bennett had an excellent WC and Richard Hibbard, Lloyd Burns and Ken Owens are starting to feature more for Wales.

Dont we want more pressure on the Hooker to earn his place, rather than gaurenteeing Rees his?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:21 am

Would anyone honestly pick Rees over Warbs if asked the question of who led Wales better? That is the most important issue of it all and as much as Rees has given Wales these last few years, Sam has looked exemplary in the role and under his leadership, Wales have looked far more confident, earned better results and generally played better rugby than under Rees!

That said, I wouldn't complain with being presented with as much a skipper dilemma as a positional dilemma.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am

Warburton.

-He lead Wales to the semi finals and within an inch of a final.
-He is a special player, 1st name on team sheet.
-The way he conducts himself, especially after the red incident and his general approach and dedication, is an example to every single Welsh players that has aspirations in rugby.

Simples.

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:28 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Would anyone honestly pick Rees over Warbs if asked the question of who led Wales better? That is the most important issue of it all and as much as Rees has given Wales these last few years, Sam has looked exemplary in the role and under his leadership, Wales have looked far more confident, earned better results and generally played better rugby than under Rees!

That said, I wouldn't complain with being presented with as much a skipper dilemma as a positional dilemma.

Fellas

He red carded in the biggest game in welsh history

if that doesn't show he is not ready then i don't know what does...that is not to detract from his excellent performances but you cannot ignore the fact that he made a huge error of judgment in the big game. The fact is that if Rees was fit he would have started and he would have been skipper.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:02 pm

"if that doesn't show he is not ready then i don't know what does..."

Not leading by example and not playing to an ideal standard would show he's not ready imo, yet Warbs has fulfilled both requirements barring the card. He made one crucial error that many others are capable of making, the consequence of which many have and will continue to believe was disproportionately harsh. For a start he can't be held solely responsible for the loss as we should have won nonetheless. Also I don't believe that one fleeting mad moment following an excellent show of leadership is enough to conclude that he's not ready. Captains and players in general should be judged on ability and effort, not one-off and unintentional disciplinary slip-ups.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:"if that doesn't show he is not ready then i don't know what does..."

Not leading by example and not playing to an ideal standard would show he's not ready imo, yet Warbs has fulfilled both requirements barring the card. He made one crucial error that many others are capable of making, the consequence of which many have and will continue to believe was disproportionately harsh. For a start he can't be held solely responsible for the loss as we should have won nonetheless. Also I don't believe that one fleeting mad moment following an excellent show of leadership is enough to conclude that he's not ready. Captains and players in general should be judged on ability and effort, not one-off and unintentional disciplinary slip-ups.

Knowsit you write well and cogently and were i more reasonable or catholic my sense of guilt would prevail and i would agree.

but i don't.

Captain's perform like Captains and , intent or not, he fecked up massively.

I do not blame him for losing the game, the kickers did that, but i do blame him for a gaping lack of judgement. That is all. The guy is an extraordinary player but you simply cannot say he brought success to Wales, we could have gone all the way, truth is we blew a huge opportunity and as Capt you take responsibility. He knows that.

He is no doubt the FWC but i do not agree that he should be reappointed by defualt, Rees was our skipper and he deserves to be again, Warbs will fill his shoes when the time is right, it isn't now.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Lets make no mistake. Huw Bennett had a great world cup compared to expectation but lineout ball still went missing when under pressure. Rees is first choice hooker easily in my opinion. He offers more around the park and can hit his jumpers in high pressure situations. I also think he should be captain. More experienced and a great guy. See how Warburton grows without the pressure of captaincy.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:02 pm

Lets look at it another way, we are now in the position where we have to genuine candidates for skipper.

When was last time we were in that position, for ages we had R Jones as the onlhoice as skipper and No8 due to total lack of realistic options.

Whoever gets it they are both guaranteed starters (though I think it would be unfair if Bennett didn't start in Dec) and they both seem humble enough to accept Gatlands decision and support the other.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Every team must have a captain. Rees was okay as the Welsh skipper but not an outstanding one. By accident (Rees's injury), Warburton was handed the job and has proved to be outstanding. How often in rugby and other areas of life has a leader emerged through unforeseen circumstances? Many times. Keep Warburton as captain. He inspires the team to play well.

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Gatts wrote:Captain's perform like Captains

Name some games, for Wales, where Matthew Rees has done this consistantly...i don't remember many?

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 pm

I'd keep Warburton as the skipper, truely epitomises this welsh team. But every team needs leaders. Rees is one of them. Along with wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Jamie Roberts etc

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 pm

flankertye wrote:I'd keep Warburton as the skipper, truely epitomises this welsh team. But every team needs leaders. Rees is one of them. Along with wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Jamie Roberts etc

+1 mo1

Last edited by Comfort on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : the mo)

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Looking forward to hopefully a great prospect of welsh success over the next ten years.

We appear to have groomed this lad warburton into the position, I certainly don't think a red card for a tackle that was common place unpunished in most instances over not jus the world cup but most of rugby so far as my fading memory serves.

The red was right, but the decision was very unique, and in hindsight has little baring on warburtons character.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am

Then again, Maesteg, Rolland would have spoken to both captains before the match and presumably would have made clear what was and wasn't acceptable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Then again, Maesteg, Rolland would have spoken to both captains before the match and presumably would have made clear what was and wasn't acceptable.
I doubt Rolland would have said "that certain tackles that usually have warranted a warning at my most stringent would suddenly become an over night red card offence due to a re-interpretation of the laws".

I doubt that very much.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammatical)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:52 am

Mathew Rees was a good player and a good captain for Wales, but i honestly think that to hand the captaincy back to him, just because he wants it back will be a big mistake.

If you compare Wales with Matew Rees as captain, and then compare Wales with Sam Warburton in charge, well put it this way Wales ahve been a better team with Warburton incharge,

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down