The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer

3 posters

Go down

Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer Empty Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 21, 2013 11:42 am

From BBC Wales...

Former Wales rugby international Matthew J Watkins has been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in his pelvis.

The 34-year-old, who won 19 caps for Wales, will undergo treatment at Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff.

The former Newport Gwent Dragons player retired from the game in 2011 and is currently qualifying to be a coach.

Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) chief executive Roger Lewis said Watkins was a "talent" who excelled to the highest level.

In statement, Watkins said: "Obviously it's very disappointing news for me and my family but I'm keen to progress with my treatment and battle the illness with the same commitment as I gave to my rugby career.

"I would like to thank everyone who has offered their support and the fantastic support from the guys at Velindre.

'True Welsh flair'
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Throughout his career he was always a favourite with the supporters who recognised his talent and enjoyed his incisive contributions to all the games he took part in.”

Roger Lewis
WRU chief executive
"I am determined to continue my everyday life with my family and friends and appreciate the privacy shown during this very difficult time."

WRU chief Mr Lewis added: "All our thoughts are with Matthew and his family at this extremely difficult time.

"In winning 19 caps for Wales, Matthew proved that he had the talent to excel at the highest level and always displayed true Welsh flair in his play.

"Throughout his career he was always a favourite with the supporters who recognised his talent and enjoyed his incisive contributions to all the games he took part in.

"Matthew embraced the professional era and retained a determination to contribute at the elite level where his skills could be displayed at their best.

"He is a young man who can be extremely proud of his rugby achievements and the friendships he forged both on and off the field of play.

"Those friends and the rugby followers who enjoyed watching him play will be greatly saddened to learn of his illness and Matthew can be assured we are as one in thinking of him now."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer Empty Re: Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Horrible news. I wish him all the best with his treatment and recovery.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer Empty Re: Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Former Dragons player too. Gutted for him. I went to school with a relative of his. Hope he gets better soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue May 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I thought he was a Dragon too....anyway, best of luck to him. I had leukemia when I was a nipper but its much harsher on adults Former Wales and Scarlets centre Matthew Watkins is battling Cancer 769663
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue May 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Former Dragons player too. Gutted for him. I went to school with a relative of his. Hope he gets better soon.

My Nephew is friends with his cousin Alex Watkins a very talented Cocktail maker, wins awards for all those fancy behind the bar tricks like in the 1980's movie.

Played for Dragons Scarlets and Gloucester previously Newport and Llanelli RFC as a wing but also as a very talented and pacey outside centre.

It is very promising to read his attitude and determination towards recovery and beating Cancer, an admirable stance at a fatally frightening time in his life. I hope his words are an inspiration to other sufferers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down